Post pics of how you clip your hair

This started when 2happy asked Msgiblet and myself to post pictures of how we clip our hair. Thought I'd start a thread on this since I've noticed a lot of people asking how it is done. Seems we all have our own way of doing it.

Ok, here are my pics...

i also included pics of the clips i am using.

hair with clips

pic of clip

pic of clip box

mb

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

Comments

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you MaryBeth. I am still working on this whole clipping thing. I had a really bad haircut in July ... ended up with bangs an inch (not exaggerating) long. They are finally down to my eye brows, but when they dry they are still too short.

When you clip, do you twist the hair and then clip it at the base?

I realized after looking at your pics that I wasn't leaving it until they were completely dry.

Do you ever use a diffuser, or just let it air dry?

God I love this website .. I wish I would have found it yrs ago. :cheers:
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • marybethmarybeth Posts: 342Registered Users
    anne wrote:
    Thank you MaryBeth. I am still working on this whole clipping thing. I had a really bad haircut in July ... ended up with bangs an inch (not exaggerating) long. They are finally down to my eye brows, but when they dry they are still too short.

When you clip, do you twist the hair and then clip it at the base?

I realized after looking at your pics that I wasn't leaving it until they were completely dry.

Do you ever use a diffuser, or just let it air dry?

God I love this website .. I wish I would have found it yrs ago. :cheers:

hi anne,

that stinks about your bangs, but luckily they do grow. :flower:

i don't twist the hair, i just grab a curl clump, or curl family, as my stylist calls them then clip. if you have time to let them in until the hair is fully dry that works best. if you don't have the time to fully air dry then just leave them in as long as you are able, or you could diffuse the top a bit. i usually don't diffuse at all, i mostly air dry, but with chilly mornings on the way, i will probably start diffusing more often.

mb

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for posting this. I have old clips that have double prongs, and they always tangle in my hair. I think I'll have to visit Sally's soon and get new clips. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    CurliLocks wrote:
    Thanks for posting this. I have old clips that have double prongs, and they always tangle in my hair. I think I'll have to visit Sally's soon and get new clips. :)

you are welcome! i am glad to help. :happy3:

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    After reading MB's response, I also found these two sites that mention clipping. The ouidad.com one has an interactive video to show how they use their products. Under the 'set' section, it shows them clipping.

The second site shows a photo of clipping.

http://www.ouidad.com/curl_central/idx_curl-central.asp

http://www.ylcf.org/gotcurl/curlyclipping.htm

You certainly can't say that curly hair is boring :bounce:
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    And here are mine. I'm a much messier "clipper" than marybeth, but it works for me as far as getting lift on the top. I use the new Deva clips.

Here

And Here

ETA: I usually diffuse a little bit before clipping.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you ladies sooo much - the pictures are very helpful! I'm gonna give clipping a try today!
    :bounce:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• curlyshellycurlyshelly Posts: 40Registered Users
    I also wanted to add a big THANK you for posting pics for the clipping technique. My stylist (Ouidad trained) used the long (about 3.5inch clips) and I haven't had much success with enough lift. It seems that I need to perfect my technique and the pics really do help me.
    anne wrote:
    After reading MB's response, I also found these two sites that mention clipping. The ouidad.com one has an interactive video to show how they use their products. Under the 'set' section, it shows them clipping.

hi anne,
    thanks for the links. i like the way the criss cross clip looks, but i think it might be a bit juvenille for my over 40 hair, especially with those little clips, oh well.

mb

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

When my hair was shorter on top before I started growing out the layers, I used to use the little baby claw clips & they worked really well, too. I'll still use them sometimes if I really need grab at the roots somewhere.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    anne wrote:

Thanks, Anne. The Ouidad method is basically what I use, only I get better control with the smaller clips. My stylist can get more lift than I can using just one large clip slid down my part. I can't do it to save my life, but I guess that's why she's the pro & I'm not. :happy2:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    marybeth has inspired me with her very neat clipping, so I tried to do a much neater job today. I've posted a pic - I'm still drying so we'll see how it turns out later:

Neater "Clip" Job

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curls101curls101 Posts: 334Registered Users
    Why do u clip?
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Clipping allows for more volume on top of your head so you don't have flat hair up top....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• azcurlyazcurly Posts: 82Registered Users
    Thanks! I have never had luck with clipping. I have all kinds of clips so I am going to attempt it again too. The pics really helped.
    3b/c ~ CG
    current favorites ~ TJ's Refresh, AOHR, SheaMoisture Shea Butter leave-in, AVG, FSG
    msgiblet wrote:
    marybeth has inspired me with her very neat clipping, so I tried to do a much neater job today. I've posted a pic - I'm still drying so we'll see how it turns out later:

Neater "Clip" Job

looks good! let us know how it turns out, patiently waiting... :happy2:

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

• ACHACH Posts: 245Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote:

Neater "Clip" Job

You are funny! I had nice 2nd day hair, so no clip pics of my own yet.
    Amy
    2b/3a-ish at times
    http://public.fotki.com/AHopewell1/hair/
    PW hair

Currently using
    Jessicurl HCC
    Aloeba
    CK
    AG Liquid Effects
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    Is Deva the only one who makes plastic clips like that or can we find them at Sally's?
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

marybeth wrote:

:icon_smile: It came out pretty good, but it was actually too neat of a part for me. I like having more of no part at all with just some height, if that makes any sense at all. :confused3: I guess my messy clipping works better for me after all -- just doesn't look so great in demo pics. :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    susancnw wrote:
    Is Deva the only one who makes plastic clips like that or can we find them at Sally's?

I really don't know. I know Sally carries the metal ones, but I can't remember seeing the plastic ones anywhere -- which means nothing because I'm not that well-rounded of a shopper. :happy2:

Not much help at all, I know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    msgiblet wrote:
    marybeth wrote:

:icon_smile: It came out pretty good, but it was actually too neat of a part for me. I like having more of no part at all with just some height, if that makes any sense at all. :confused3: I guess my messy clipping works better for me after all -- just doesn't look so great in demo pics. :wink:

i had a feeling that might happen. whatever works best for you is what you should do, but it doesn't hurt to try things different ways. i find the experimenting quite fun!

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The messier clipping works better for me too. :)

MB - Do you mean to say the criss-cross clipping won't look good with the clips left in? Or at all? I sort of criss-cross and clip with the prong ones. I probably wouldn't wear the claws all day either (I'm 44), but they'd work to set the hair when wet. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    CurliLocks wrote:
    The messier clipping works better for me too. :)

MB - Do you mean to say the criss-cross clipping won't look good with the clips left in? Or at all? I sort of criss-cross and clip with the prong ones. I probably wouldn't wear the claws all day either (I'm 44), but they'd work to set the hair when wet. :)

i meant the criss-crossing with the clips would look a bit juvenile to wear in dry hair. that girls hair is dry in the pictures so it looks like she is wearing it that way to go out and for when company comes over like she said. those little teeny clips remind me of pre-teen girls, my 11 year old cousin wears them. criss-crossing to set wet hair is fine and might work good, i may try that. i'll probably try the messier clipping too and see what happens. :-)
    mb

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    msgiblet wrote:
    When my hair was shorter on top before I started growing out the layers, I used to use the little baby claw clips & they worked really well, too. I'll still use them sometimes if I really need grab at the roots somewhere.

I dont seem to have to clip my top so much now that my hair is shorter but I still use the smaller jaw clips to get my side pieces to dry away from my face. I clip the hair that is hanging in the front to the side and I keep them in until my hair is dry. My SO must think - I hope she aint going out like that because I clip them low so it looks like they have slipped wayyy down in my hair. When I do clip the top I use the jaw type clips - I am flat clip challenged.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • KeeweeKeewee Posts: 1,376Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have pictures in my fotki of the way Carlos from Devachan set my hair with the clips, if anyone cares to look. I think its the devachan album.
    3A some 3b Total Product Junkie
    P/Wmarissa
    http://public.fotki.com/Keewee
    Keewee wrote:
    I have pictures in my fotki of the way Carlos from Devachan set my hair with the clips, if anyone cares to look. I think its the devachan album.

WOW! Your hair is absolutely gorgeous! It looks like he used clips all over your head -- is that right? I think I'd really make a mess trying to do that! :clown:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ACHACH Posts: 245Registered Users
    Still wanting to post cilp pics, but I got 3rd day hair! I've been sleeping on the Style Saver satin pillow cover from Target and it has really been doing me some good.
    Amy
    2b/3a-ish at times
    http://public.fotki.com/AHopewell1/hair/
    PW hair

Currently using
    Jessicurl HCC
    Aloeba
    CK
    AG Liquid Effects
    ACH wrote:
    Still wanting to post cilp pics, but I got 3rd day hair! I've been sleeping on the Style Saver satin pillow cover from Target and it has really been doing me some good.

Wow!! How lucky are you!! I consider myself lucky if I get 2nd day hair.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Keewee wrote:

WOWZA! your hair is hot! interesting that he used the double prong clips, he did an awesome job :happy2:

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

ACH wrote:

might have to check out the satin pc at target. what part of the store was it in?

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file