Leaving Baby Unattended

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
Where do you consider it ok to leave your baby? I'm not talking about leaving the house, just leaving the room.

The only place I feel really comfortable is in the crib. I will quickly go into the next room if he is in the swing, high chair, Moses basket or bassinet, but I'll come right back. If he is in the car seat, I'll just bring him where I'm going. I also will wear the baby, but that isn't always possible.

I'm going back to work on Monday and DH will be home with baby Harry. I worry that he is not quite as careful as I would be. I want to give him firm guidelines, but want to make sure I'm not crazy careful. Can you all chime in on this?
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Crib or Pack N Play only. Then again, if one of us isn't holding him, that's usually where he is. We have a swing but no batteries for it yet, and we rarely bring the carseat/carrier inside. He does like to sit in his Boppy on the couch, but I never leave the couch with him like that. I'm sitting beside him with one hand on him/the Boppy. If I need to get up, I bring him with me.

I'm hoping to get a bouncer soon that I can keep or bring into my bedroom/bathroom so that I can pee and shower once I'm on my own with him (I was fortunate to have my mom home with me the first week).
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Bouncy Seat--Yes
    Swing--Yes
    Bassinet--Yes
    Pack and Play--Yes
    Carseat in the house--Yes

Sofa--No
    Bed--No
    Boppy on sofa or bed--No
  • MutterbuttMutterbutt Registered Users Posts: 59
    I agree with Medussa. I might add that when my first DD was a little one, I would leave her on a blanket on the floor and run to the bathroom or into the kitchen.

I am a neurotic momma sometimes, so I'll just say to my husband: "I know you know this already, but to make me feel better, please don't forget that you can't leave her alone on the bed, etc. Or whatever you want to say. I think that most DH's understand us moms and our worries when we are away from our kiddos!

Also, I left a list of my girls' likes/dislikes/routines when I went back to work 1 night a week. My DH said he appreciated the 'tips' on how to keep them happy.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Aside from the crib or pack 'n play, I never left my babies unattended. They need to be watched whenever they're in any other contraptions.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    It's been so long! I'm trying to remember. How long are you talking about being away? If it's to grab or put down something in another room, then all that Medussa posted, plus on a blanket on the floor.
    If it's to go do something that'll take a while, like wash dishes, either in the playpen/crib or car seat, strapped in.
    All of the places in which we lived when my kids were small like yours were tiny apartments or apartment-like settings so I couldn't go further than one room away, anyway.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    When Lucy was really little I had her with me pretty much all the time while she was awake. I just moved her from room to room with me in the bouncy seat or the bumbo when she got a little older.

When they're newborns they can't get into much trouble, but before you know it they can sit up and fall forward in the bouncy seat, or manage to wiggle their way out of the bumbo, so it's best not to leave them for too long.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Why you should not leave baby unattended in the bumbo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRqMzSJMi64

This is a very cute film . . . :laughing9:
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Maybe I'll be seen as naughty, or neglectful, but I leave her unattended in a lot of places. I usually have her laying on a blanket on the floor in the living room surrounded by toys to play with. Not for extended periods of time, but I'll go in the kitchen, or to the bathroom, or upstairs for a minute. Same thing if she's in the swing. A couple of times I left her sleeping in the swing and I took a quick shower. I'll leave her sleeping on my bed surrounded by pillows, but only if I'm in the next room, and I check on her constantly.

Most often I wait til she's asleep, and I put her in the crib if I'm going to preoccupy myself with something.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I wear him in a sling and get my husband to do the same, unless we're cooking with hot oil or something.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    medussa wrote:
    Bouncy Seat--Yes
    Swing--Yes
    Bassinet--Yes
    Pack and Play--Yes

Sofa--No
    Bed--No
    Boppy on sofa or bed--No

Add to this

On the floor with no dangers nearby--Yes
    Bouncy Seat--Yes

Swings and bouncy seat were lifesavers for me. Those were the only 2 places I could put my son down without him screaming. And the only 2 places he would even sleep for the first few months.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote:
    Bouncy Seat--Yes
    Swing--Yes
    Bassinet--Yes
    Pack and Play--Yes

Sofa--No
    Bed--No
    Boppy on sofa or bed--No

I second this. Thank goodness for bouncy seats or I would never have gotten a shower.

I would say floor too but we had a big dog so I never put Chas on the floor without the fear of Yukon accidentally stepping on him...if you don't have this problem...I would say the floor is pretty safe when they are very small and don't move much.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    fuzzbucket wrote:
    I'm going back to work on Monday and DH will be home with baby Harry. I worry that he is not quite as careful as I would be. I want to give him firm guidelines, but want to make sure I'm not crazy careful. Can you all chime in on this?

I usually left him alone in the cosleeper, or on the floor on a blanket. For very short times in a car seat on the floor (strapped in) or in a bouncy seat.

A general word of advice though. Yes you are the mom and your husband will never take care of the baby exactly the way you do (no one will). That's OK. He should not have to. He will learn to take care of the baby his own way. It may not be perfect but if you trust him enough to have kids with him you need to trust that he loves your son as much as you do and has his best interests in mind. And that your son will be fine with him. New dads generally feel pretty inadequate to begin with when it comes to infants. If you micromanage your husband, he will feel even more inadequate. I am sure you made a few minor mistakes when you were learning to be a new mom and your baby turned out just fine nonetheless and you gained confidence and knowledge in the process. Give your husband that same opportunity.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    medussa wrote:
    Bouncy Seat--Yes
    Swing--Yes
    Bassinet--Yes
    Pack and Play--Yes

Sofa--No
    Bed--No
    Boppy on sofa or bed--No

I read this wrong the first time I went through. Yes, I agree w/ all of this as well.

Although Bella is a little old for me to be leaving her in a bassinette, or bouncy seat for too long.

• shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    Crib, Pack & Play, Swing, Walker, Floor on a blanket, my bed surrounded by pillow fortress.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    If you have a good monitor that helps. Then you can most likely hear if he's unhappy/in any trouble. They even make those cool video monitors- not to imply that they serve as a substitute for parental surveillance though.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    I like that my monitor has 2 my end parts. That way I can have one downstairs in the dining room (between kitchen & living room) and one upstairs in my room. I can hear him no matter where I go. also, if we are cooking outside, I can put batteries in it and take it outside with us if he is napping inside.

• fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    geeky wrote:
    A general word of advice though. Yes you are the mom and your husband will never take care of the baby exactly the way you do (no one will). That's OK. He should not have to. He will learn to take care of the baby his own way. It may not be perfect but if you trust him enough to have kids with him you need to trust that he loves your son as much as you do and has his best interests in mind. And that your son will be fine with him. New dads generally feel pretty inadequate to begin with when it comes to infants. If you micromanage your husband, he will feel even more inadequate. I am sure you made a few minor mistakes when you were learning to be a new mom and your baby turned out just fine nonetheless and you gained confidence and knowledge in the process. Give your husband that same opportunity.

An excellent point, with which I totally agree. I had a freak out moment the other day, though.

DH had taken Harry for a long walk. I was puttering around when I heard him come upstairs (we live on the 2nd & 3rd floor) on his cell phone. I heard him go into the office, check something on the computer and then go back outside. I thought, "That's weird. Where's Harry?" I looked out the kitchen window, and Harry was in his stroller asleep in the yard and DH was not there. I freaked. I ran downstairs to see DH coming around the corner of the house. He had gone to check the mail out front after he came inside. Harry had been alone in the yard for 5 minutes. Definitely not OK.

So, we started discussing what is OK and I realized that I almost never leave the baby alone in a room, unless I put him in the crib. That is why I wanted to know what you all do in your house so I could see if I'm being crazy careful.

I'm totally on board with DH being the primary caregiver and I can't wait to watch the bond grow between him and his son. I know he will find his stride and they'll do great. It's really an ideal situation. But I also can't help my Mama Bear instincts. :wink:
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    fuzzbucket wrote:
    geeky wrote:

An excellent point, with which I totally agree. I had a freak out moment the other day, though.

DH had taken Harry for a long walk. I was puttering around when I heard him come upstairs (we live on the 2nd & 3rd floor) on his cell phone. I heard him go into the office, check something on the computer and then go back outside. I thought, "That's weird. Where's Harry?" I looked out the kitchen window, and Harry was in his stroller asleep in the yard and DH was not there. I freaked. I ran downstairs to see DH coming around the corner of the house. He had gone to check the mail out front after he came inside. Harry had been alone in the yard for 5 minutes. Definitely not OK.

So, we started discussing what is OK and I realized that I almost never leave the baby alone in a room, unless I put him in the crib. That is why I wanted to know what you all do in your house so I could see if I'm being crazy careful.

I'm totally on board with DH being the primary caregiver and I can't wait to watch the bond grow between him and his son. I know he will find his stride and they'll do great. It's really an ideal situation. But I also can't help my Mama Bear instincts. :wink:

Is it your private yard? Was it front or back? If it was a front yard with a street, or public access, then yes I would be worried. If it was a private backyard and the baby was asleep, then I don't see it as a big deal.

babywavy wrote:
    fuzzbucket wrote:
    geeky wrote:

Is it your private yard? Was it front or back? If it was a front yard with a street, or public access, then yes I would be worried. If it was a private backyard and the baby was asleep, then I don't see it as a big deal.

And in the shade.

• rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    when they were still immobile, i'd leave them in the middle of the floor of our great room on a blanket while i cooked. our kitchen was beside it and we had a window over the sink so that i could see into the great room.

i also left them in the middle of our bed when they were immobile to go check the mail, or get a drink, or use the bathroom. but as they became able to roll over, i couldn't do that anymore.

our son didn't like the bouncer. our daughter did, so i put her in that in the doorway of our bathroom while i showered sometimes. when she was still a blob, i'd put her on our kitchen table in the bouncer while i cooked. but as she became active and mobile, and could make it scoot on the table, i'd put her on the floor in the bouncer. that worked for a little while, but she didn't prefer to see my ankles while we were in the same room!

otherwise, they'd be in their cribs with the monitor on while i was in other parts of the house.

i learned early on that my husband and i did things different, but both had our babies' safety and interests in mind. we got into an argument over how he was checking the bath water of our first newborn. he was genuinely hurt and pissed and asked me if i really thought that he'd place our son in water without checking it. that was my reality check, and i learned to back off and bite my tongue. our kids have never been harmed in his care, and we sometimes handle things in COMPLETELY opposite ways! :laughing9: :laughing9:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    I trust my husband more so about certain things. I am terrified to check the baby's temperature. I have an irrational fear of him wiggling and the thermometer either breaking off in his booty or hurting him. I refuse to do it! My husband has no problem though! He is a great dad!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file