Leave-In At The Beach Question

This is probably a stupid question, but is it ok to use a lot of straight oil, i.e., jojoba, coconut, as a leave-in while out in the sun on the beach all day? I always use a creamy type leave-in for protection on the beach, but was wondering if oil would fry my hair. I guess I'm thinking oil plus so much heat = sizzle! sizzle! fry! fry! :scratch:
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    bump

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmm. I doubt that leaving oil in your hair would "fry" it at the beach, but I haven't tried it yet myself.

At the beach, I usually take a cheap, CG conditioner (White Rain or Alberto VO5) and apply a lot on dry hair to protect it. Afterwards, I shampoo well with Suave Naturals shampoo, condition, and use a little gel and I have good hair for the rest of the day. HTH! :glasses7:
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
    Thanks for responding. Yeah, I usually spray in a lot of PM Awapuhi Moisture Mist or slather on Abba Nourish Co, but I'm really liking jojoba oil lately, so wondering how it will do in hot sun all day since we're going on vacation Friday.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    msgiblet wrote:
    Thanks for responding. Yeah, I usually spray in a lot of PM Awapuhi Moisture Mist or slather on Abba Nourish Co, but I'm really liking jojoba oil lately, so wondering how it will do in hot sun all day since we're going on vacation Friday.

No problem! :icon_smile: I'm curious if that would work, too. I've never used pure jojoba oil, but I heard it's close in structure to sebum, so I don't think people with oily hair get fried hair at the beach. Don't take my word for it though; this is a good question to research.

Speaking of the beach, I wonder if sunscreens in hair products are really necessary... :scratch:
    Mint wrote:
    Speaking of the beach, I wonder if sunscreens in hair products are really necessary... :scratch:

I don't know -- my stylist is always on me to wear a hat, but I can't stand a hat on my head for very long in the sun, so that isn't going to happen. We're at the beach at least 2-3 times a year for an extended period and my hair doesn't get dry & damaged; I just get so bleached out blonde that it kind of messes with my color. :sad10:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    No one knows for sure if the oil is ok??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    I had also heard several times that it makes your hair fry. But I read some contradictory stuff about people using coconut oil to protect their skin and hair. I guess it depends on how hot the oil gets. ??? If it does fry it that's too bad as it's good at keeping out the salt.

Here's an article that talks about oils and generally protecting your hair in the sun:
    Beauty: Summer hair
    Sunday Mirror, Jun 22, 2003

by: Lynne Michelle

Prepare it

Before jetting off, it's vital to get your hair beach-ready. 'If your hair is in a bad condition to start with, the sun will damage it much faster,' says Steve Shiel, senior scientist for Clairol Herbal Essences. Get any split ends trimmed because the sun will rip damaged hair in two. It's also a good idea to pre-empt the sapping effects of the sun with a weekly intensive treatment mask like Origins Rich Rewards.

Colour it

The sun will fade coloured hair unless you protect it carefully. 'Red shades are particularly vulnerable to fading,' says Madonna's colourist Daniel Galvin. 'And going darker than usual can mean it's more likely to fade to a colour you don't like - UV light can bring out orangey tones.' Another no-no is bleaching hair pre-holiday - this damaging process will only increase the sun's ill effects. 'A lifting tint gives the same result with better condition,' says celeb hairdresser John Carne.

Waterproof it

Sun plus salt or chlorine is the worst thing for your locks, so protect them before taking a dip. 'Salt water sucks moisture from the healthiest hair,' says Steve. 'Salt can crystallise inside the hair fibre, breaking the internal structure and lifting the cuticle.' Before you go in the sea or pool, make like Sophie Anderton (left) and dampen hair and apply oil-free conditioner, suggests Daniel. 'This will protect against sun damage and act as a barrier against chlorine or salt. After, rinse your hair immediately and reapply conditioner.' Try Wella System Professional Sunshine Cream Spray.

Chop it

If your barnet is sun-damaged, get the worst cut off and take professional advice before you re-dye, as your hair will be more porous and may take colour unevenly. Bottom line: treatments can replace lost moisture and hide signs of damage, but nothing can truly repair broken tresses. 'Hair only grows half an inch a month, so it'll take a long time to grow back if you let it sizzle in the sun,' says Daniel. You have been warned...

Protect it 'UV light acts like bleach on hair,' says Steve. 'It attacks its proteins, making it dull and dry, breaks down colour and leaves it vulnerable to splitting.' 'Use a shampoo with UV filters (try L'Oreal Elvive Solar) and a sun filter spray (like Boots Soltan Hair and Scalp Protector, ),' says John. 'Clip hair up so it's out of the sun,' says Kene Franklin, at Macmillans salon. Try Accessorize Rose Clips, (right) or wear a hat like Lady Victoria Hervey (above right).

Ever noticed how some people return home with odd-coloured locks? Lemon juice is culprit number one. 'Lemon juice plus sun will lighten your hair, but it will also cause chemical damage. It can turn darker hair orange, too,' warns Steve. Adding oil to 'nourish' your hair is another bad move. 'You're literally frying your hair,' says Daniel. 'As the oil warms in the sun, it lifts colour out and strips the cuticles, leaving hair in a terrible state.' And finally the old classic - green hair from an over-chlorinated pool. 'Counteract the effect by mixing tomato ketchup with conditioner,' says Daniel. But whatever you do, don't try to bleach the green out - it's a job for the professionals.

Repair it

Hair often feels dried out after a holiday, so get the moisture back. 'Use an intensive mask every week and leave it on overnight under a shower cap,' says Daniel. We like Kerastase Resistance Age Recharge Firming Masque. For serious shine, try a pre- shampoo treatment like JF Lazartigue's. 'See your stylist for a trim and conditioning treatment to prevent split ends,' says John. Give faded hair a new lease of life with Daniel Galvin Colour Shine Brightener, or Toni & Guy Insights Colour Reviver Shampoo which deposits new pigments each time you wash.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20030622?pnum=2&opg=n12869865
    Thank you so much for posting that article. I think I'll just stick with my regular leave-in conditioner - sounds safer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Interesting article! I'm sticking with conditioner. Possibly something that has UV protection too if I can find it... :sunny:
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote:
    Thank you so much for posting that article. I think I'll just stick with my regular leave-in conditioner - sounds safer.

No problem. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file