Where did you get your curls?

half scottish, half jamaican quarter cuban. :afro: I get my texture from my scottish side and curls from my jamaican/cuban side!

Where do you get you're curls from?
Mixed?
Or does it just run in the family?
Too curly for you!

I'm a 3a/3b
Dark dark dark dark black hair
Just below shoulders and growing it out!!

Comments

• zeldagoblinzeldagoblin Posts: 575Registered Users
    From my grandad lol. He was 3a I reckon, and such thick lush hair right up til he died. We're of Celtic descent.
    Here are my curly pics, password is fuzz

http://public.fotki.com/zeldagoblin/

But then again, too few to mention...
  • funnybean14funnybean14 Posts: 58Registered Users
    Mine are from my Jewish family. My dad blow dries his hair until crispy and my brother shaves it all off (totally bald) so he doesn't have to deal. My sister is the only one, besides me, proud of the curls.
    3A/3B I think...
    Modified CG: cowash Suave Berry Smoothie or Toasted Vanilla, cond TRESemme Vitamin E Moisture rich (I leave some in), Loreal Studio melting gel, Aussie sprunch to finish
  • zeldagoblinzeldagoblin Posts: 575Registered Users
    Mine are from my Jewish family. My dad blow dries his hair until crispy and my brother shaves it all off (totally bald) so he doesn't have to deal. My sister is the only one, besides me, proud of the curls.

Thats a shame. I have brothers, twins, who are 3c like me, and one rocks his curls while the other is kind of troubled by them and keeps em short. When they grow, they look wonderful..I must post a pic sometime :D
    Here are my curly pics, password is fuzz

http://public.fotki.com/zeldagoblin/

But then again, too few to mention...
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Runs in my family. My Mom has curly hair, as did her Mom & sister. My dad also has a little curl. My sister's hair is a little curlier than mine -- she is also a hair stylist, who like a lot of stylists in this country, has gotten no real training on how to deal with curly hair. She can't believe how curly I can get mine without using a curling iron or rollers. She has a hard time believing all the stuff I've learned from the CG book and right here at NC.com! :happy2: I'm working on her, though!
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KeeweeKeewee Posts: 1,376Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "I got it from my mama, "I got it from my mama" lol

but i really did, she always fought hers..and still does. but it comes from her side we have quite a few curlies in my family and one of them works at devachan in NYC..
    3A some 3b Total Product Junkie
    P/Wmarissa
    http://public.fotki.com/Keewee
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    mom is white amd wavy, dad is black and afro.
    3b-3c CG
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    my dad's part irish and my mom's part danish...do danish people have curly hair? i don't know, but both my parents are curly!!! the weird part is i'm curlier than both of them, and so is my brother. my sisters both have wavy hair. genes and dna, weird.
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

• marybethmarybeth Posts: 342Registered Users
    from my dad's side of the family, Italian. all my cousins on my mom's side (german & czech) are jealous, lol.

3Aer...Botticelli Curls

• FoxyCurlsFoxyCurls Posts: 13Registered Users
    I got my texture from my mom (Irish and Creole) and the curls from my dad (african american)
    3B-L'Oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for Curly/Wavy Hair Shampoo & Conditioner and Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost , Mizani H2O Intense Night-time Treatment and Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Conditioning Treatment
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    My dad is a curly. So was his mom. My last name is West African so I'm sure that has something to do with my hair somewhere. My family is a big Heinz 57 mix.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • -curly-claire--curly-claire- Posts: 127Registered Users
    My mum is wavy and 1/2 Irish my dad is like 3b/c and just plain English ha
    Pass: curly
    3A.
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    shellynot wrote:
    my dad's part irish and my mom's part danish...do danish people have curly hair? i don't know, but both my parents are curly!!! the weird part is i'm curlier than both of them, and so is my brother. my sisters both have wavy hair. genes and dna, weird.

I'm Irish (Dad all Irish, mom half) and Danish (mom half) too!

Both of my parents have curly hair and all of my siblings do too!
    My dad's can look like an afro though, he wore it that way in his hippies days in the mid-seventies. My mom's can look like an afro too, but she never intentionally wears it that way.
    My hair used to be able to do the afro thing, I swear my pill has loosened my curls!
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Germans & Welch on my mom's side of the family with waves & curls. Germans & Irish on my dad's side of the family with curls. I guess I got it from both sides.
  • SapphireWingstarSapphireWingstar Posts: 381Registered Users
    Frommy dad's side of the family, but NONE of them were 3b/c corkscrews like me!

My dad is more like a 3a, I think, although he had a huge 'fro in college. His dad (my grandpa) also had hair like him. And my grandpa's mother (my great-grandma) had 3a/b hair I think, but that's only judging from pictures.

Tracing that all back, I guess my curly hair is from the Irish genes in me, even though I'm only 1/8 Irish, because the rest of my family pretty much has straight/wavy hair.
    3b/c...or thereabouts.

Album: http://photobucket.com/albums/a119/CrazyCurlyQ/

Password: curlomania
    (albums are on the lefthand side)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    From my mom, who had sort of wavy hair that probably would have been 3a if she had treated it right, but more from my Dad who is German. His would be quite curly if he didn't chop it off short. Mom was a general Euro mix.

My sister is a curly also. Strangely, all four of our grandparents had straight hair, so I don't know where the curls originally came from.
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Posts: 351Registered Users
    I got them from my paternal side, which is African, Caucasian, and Native American. My maternal side is Caucasian. I'd say my Dad was 4b (before he went bald :P), and my mom is 1 (straight). My brother has pretty much th same pattern as me, but he keeps his hair closely cropped. Not because he doesn't like curly hair, but because he prefers that style.

Hence, my mom never knew how to take care of my hair. I wore it in two Pippi Longstocking-ish braids, past my bum, for my whole life until middle school when I started wearing the half up, half down style. My hair would be the source of torment all through middle and high school.

My hair's very hard to deal with, and I have not met anyone with the same texture as me. I love my hair because it's unique, beautiful, and all mine.
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• bbbeccabbbecca Banned Posts: 232Banned Users
    from my mom (she's scottish and hispanic)
    my dad is chinese so his hair is pretty much straight
    "'You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve,' said Aslan.'"
    http://public.fotki.com/bbecca/hair-pics/
    pw-curls
    Koukla72 wrote: »
    when you claim in your nomination speech to the families of special needs children, "I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House" after having reduced funding for special needs education by 62%
    http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_palin.html
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    One texture from my mom and the other one from my dad :)
    My dad's Nigerian and My mom's Indian.
    I think having my dad in the mix definitely enabled by beautiful curls if not i would have most likely ended up with straight hair..not that anything is wrong with straight hair but, i would have missed out on all this sea of curls
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    From my grandfather who was German/Irish. All of my other features come from the Japanese part of my family.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • CurlyzooCurlyzoo Posts: 148Registered Users
    I think I got my curls from my maternal grandmother (mostly Irish with some German thrown in). She had beautiful loose red curls when she was young.
    3a bsl highlted hair ; mod CG since 6/4/07
    current favs: JC's HCC and GLS, B2B Pom Co (old form.), Alagio Crzy Crl Balm
  • GoddessCurlsGoddessCurls Posts: 1,537Registered Users
    Well...I am mixed. My mom was white (Irish & German) and my dad is Black and Indian. My dad has AA hair and my moms was very straight and fine. I am the only one in my famliy with curly hair like this.

Back on Cones,so now my routine is,wash with Deva No-Poo every other day or so. Occasionally use 365 sulfate free,maybe use low sulfate shampoo mixed with conditioner once every two weeks are longer. I condition with Aussie Moist or HEHH. I style with a little GF TN,and finish up with tons of GN Pure Clean Smoothing Cream. No frizz...slippy, happy hair.
  • bex79bex79 Posts: 11Registered Users
    I got my hair from my dad who has thick very wavy hair. Also his mum and sister have the same hair, and they always keep it short. Now my daughter has inherited the curls! I've no idea of which culture/ country the curls have originated from, as far back as i know its just English. My mum and 2 sisters have very straight hair- it was difficult growing up being the only curly girl in our family as no one had a clue about how to treat it!
    The first time my husband ever saw me, i was diffusing my curls! ;)
  • latetocurlslatetocurls Posts: 127Registered Users
    I think mine came from both sides. I'm mostly an Irish-English mix but with a touch of Spanish. Apparently there was a Spanish sailor who was a really good swimmer when the Armada sank off the coast of Ireland. :wink: We're called Black Irish because of the Spanish blood and I think that's where my curls came from because my brother and I are the only ones with really curly hair. Everyone else has straight - not stick straight but not wavy either - to wavy hair. And strangely enough, my hair has gotten curlier as I've gotten older. Must be a lack of estrogen! :happy7: Anyway, I passed my curls (but not the original brown color) on to my son who has beautiful long blond curly hair.
    Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
  • werenumber2werenumber2 Posts: 260Registered Users
    My Puerto Rican mom's type 1 hair + my African-American dad's type 4b hair = My hair!
    comic-p.jpg

3b/c fine corkscrews and spirals. Naked hair above.

Wash: Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo
    Condish: Shescentit Avocado/Honey Rinse
    Moisture DT: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, Crece Pelo
    Protein DT: Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor
    Leave-Ins: Shescentit Coco Creme, Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean, Aubrey Organics Primrose Spray
    Stylers: Aubrey Organics B-5, Shea Moisture Curly Souffle

Subject to change!
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    No clue. No one in my immediate family has curly or wavy hair. My dad's brother has curly hair though and my cousin's is wavy, so I guess from an older relative on my dad's side. My heritage is Scottish and Native American.
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Well...I am mixed. My mom was white (Irish & German) and my dad is Black and Indian. My dad has AA hair and my moms was very straight and fine. I am the only one in my famliy with curly hair like this.

I love your hair length, curl pattern and hair color. The fullness also looks great on you. I really admire your hair!

Genetically, the curls must come from my 4a father, since my mother has pin straight, heavy, type 1 hair. My hair texture and resilliency/ strength come from her. The overall result is 3b/c.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    God gave them to me! :angel8: At least that's what I'd always tell people who asked when I was a kid. :laughing9:
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • funnybean14funnybean14 Posts: 58Registered Users
    hmkenny wrote:
    God gave them to me! :angel8: At least that's what I'd always tell people who asked when I was a kid. :laughing9:
    Me too! Also, that is what I say when people ask me if I got a perm.
    3A/3B I think...
    Modified CG: cowash Suave Berry Smoothie or Toasted Vanilla, cond TRESemme Vitamin E Moisture rich (I leave some in), Loreal Studio melting gel, Aussie sprunch to finish
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    My mom is the only one other than me in our family (both sides) that doesn't have stick straight hair. Hers is more wavy and she blows it out straight everyday. I'm definitely curlier than her. And I wasn't always a curly. I had straight hair until puberty. I really can't say where I got my curls from. My mom has thick hair like I do, but it isn't as curly and nobody else in the family has curly hair. It's very weird. :wink:
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    I'm mixed dad is black mama is white, mama has thin straight blonde hair dad's hair is difficult to describe, he used to have an afro in the 70's but now it looks straight and not really kinky at all, same as grandpa's hair.

I have more 3b/c mix where as my bro has 3c/ 4a which i'm a little jealous of cause i love the tightness of it, he was jealous of mine cause it grew down where as his grew out, he keeps it shaved now.
    Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file