When did you start telling people you were expecting?

Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
I know some people wait until after the third trimester, some people don't wait at all. I was thinking of waiting until after my first doctor's appointment. My birthday is in a month and a half, so I was thinking of announcing it to my family then...

Any thoughts, suggestions? TIA!

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I always told right away. I can't keep a secret like that.
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    I always told right away. I can't keep a secret like that.

Me too, pretty much.
  • sonnysonny Registered Users Posts: 467
    after the first trimester, when the incidence of miscarriage was significantly lower.
    We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people. ~.Martin Luther King Jr
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Only my two closest friends when I first got the positive test, my mama at 9 weeks after I heard the heartbeat, the rest of my family at 10.5 weeks (a little earlier than I normally would because it was Christmas), work and other friends starting around 14 or 15 weeks and ongoing through the second trimester.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    We had unusual circumstances. We discovered the pregnancy early and it led to us returning to the States from abroad sooner than we had planned, so we pretty much had to tell people immediately. However, next time I'd like to wait until after the first trimester to tell people.

I also want to keep our names a secret next time until the baby is born. That's just because it irrationally bugged me when my mother-in-law would ask me, 6 months pregnant, "How is Connor doing?"
    ehLB.jpg
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    We told immediatly. I was too excited!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • jcejce Registered Users Posts: 512 Curl Connoisseur
    At what I thought was 6 weeks (turned out to be 10 weeks), but only because I was having morning sickness in the afternoon and evening and couldn't hide it very well. Also, some things at work I needed to avoid (I work in a lab setting).

And once I told my 6 year old, every body he knows found out! I wanted to tell him because I felt bad always saying "Mommy doesn't feel like going to the pool, the park, playing a game. Mommy feels like she's going to puke." without telling him why. Besides, he'd been asking for a brother or sister, so I figured he ought to know so he could be happy too.
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

• bouncebounce Registered Users Posts: 297
    Immediately. My hyperemisis kicked in at 4 weeks and I was way too sick to hide it from anyone. Plus, I needed my mama. If anyone spent 5 minutes with me, they knew.

Besides, when we did experience our miscarriage, our friends and family were key in getting us through it, so I wouldn't have had it any other way.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    My close co-workers right away (4 weeks) because they kept saying I was pg before I got the positive test. We told family around 8-9 weeks, and I told the rest of my co-workers at 12 weeks.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    most people guessed, so i didnt tell anyone. i was puking all day everyday! the only person i actually told was my SO and maybe when i was about 3 months along i told my best friend. if they asked me, then yes id confirm it, but never made any sort of announcement.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    The 1st time, I only told a couple of very close coworkers right away. We told family at 9 or 10 weeks (after the 1st dr's appointment). I told my director and the rest of my coworkers at 14 or 15 weeks.

The 2nd time, we told everybody right away.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    With the first, I wasn't married an in my circle, that's not a good thing. I wanted to wait as long as possible to tell people. My roommate's 4 yr old son figured it out by week 6. Another friend figured it out about 9 weeks. We told our pastor at 10 weeks, and everyone else soon after that.
    With the second, I waited a bit again, because even though I 'knew' I needed confirmation. My sister figured it out only because she was the one to take me to the doctor. Also, I knew my family wouldn't be happy.
    With the 3rd, I didn't know for 8 weeks, but didn't tell my family until I started to m/c at 12. It was so helpful having them and friends around to support me. However, it was difficult to deal with other people asking what happened.
    With the 4th I didn't even tell my husband until about 6 weeks. My mom again figured it out at 9 weeks, when I m/c. 4 weeks later, when I went to a doctor's appointment, however, and found out I was still pg (with a twin), I had to tell everyone. I had planned to wait until I heard the heartbeat, so it worked out. I heard his heartbeat at the doctor's appointment. I'm starting to cry remembering that.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    sarah42 wrote:
    I also want to keep our names a secret next time until the baby is born. That's just because it irrationally bugged me when my mother-in-law would ask me, 6 months pregnant, "How is Connor doing?"

I think we want to do that too, just because we don't want to hear everyone's opinions on the names we pick or start family controversies. :boxing:
    bounce wrote:
    Besides, when we did experience our miscarriage, our friends and family were key in getting us through it, so I wouldn't have had it any other way.

This is one reason I would rather tell my family sooner rather than later. (I know they'd like to be praying for us right now if they knew.) I just don't think I want to broadcast it to everyone at work, etc. for a while.

It was kind of awkward today because we went for a scenic drive with my brother and his girlfriend, and stopped for a short hike. I was really dragging, and slept most of the way home. My brother kept asking if I was okay, and DH just said, "She's really tired, she'll be fine." But it was so not normal for me, so he knew something was up. :idea1:
  • jcejce Registered Users Posts: 512 Curl Connoisseur
    sarah42 wrote:

I think we want to do that too, just because we don't want to hear everyone's opinions on the names we pick or start family controversies. :boxing:

Hopefully no one in your family will be as crazy as people in mine. Since we didn't give them a name, my mother and aunt "made up" a name to call the baby. It's not a name I ever heard, and every time they asked about the baby, or told me they bought something for him/her, they would use that stupid name. I hated it!

After several times of asking them not to use the name, that I really didn't like it, or appreciate that they were trying to name my child, I finally lost it and yelled at them and said "Quit calling the baby by that name. It's not a name my husband and I picked, we're not going to use it, I don't even like it, and if you want to call a child that, then go have one of your own!"

OK, maybe that sounds harsh, but you'd have to know my family and their truly disturbed patterns of thinking and behavior.
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

• curlicurli Registered Users Posts: 857 Curl Neophyte
    sonny wrote:
    after the first trimester, when the incidence of miscarriage was significantly lower.

I did that for mostly everyone else & I told my mom like 10 days after I found out. I was too sick to even look at people so I was hiding out anyway..
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    We told family at 11 weeks...this is after we heard the heartbeat at the doctor's office. Of course, a week later we had our scare when I started bleeding. Thankfully everything worked out okay.

We did have a couple friend that guessed it when I didn't drink at New Years Eve. They we're expecting and knew we were trying. They waited a week after New Years hoping we would say something...then finally asked. Here we thought we had gotten away with it. :laughing9:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I told only a few of my closest friends when the tests came back positive. I mentioned it to a few more people over the next weeks.

I really tried to hold off with people from work, in-laws, casual acquaintences for as long as I could (at least until I was in the second tri). But I start showing very, very early, so everyone figured it out. It was really too early for people to know IMO, but everyone did. :hmph:

• shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    I was so nervous about telling my family! iEven though I am grown, married and live across the world! I felt like I was going to get in "trouble"! I guess I was used to trying NOT to get pregnant b/c I was too young, unmarried, etc. that when it was finally okay- I forgot that it was a good thing and nobody was going to be mad at me! :laughing9: :happy2: I was a little weirded out b/c that meant my dad an dmy brothers were going to know I had sex! I mean, not just assume- KNOW for a FACT! :happy2: I am so weird!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    jce wrote:
    Hopefully no one in your family will be as crazy as people in mine. Since we didn't give them a name, my mother and aunt "made up" a name to call the baby. It's not a name I ever heard, and every time they asked about the baby, or told me they bought something for him/her, they would use that stupid name. I hated it!

When we told everyone we weren't announcing the name until the baby is born, my FIL started calling the baby Ebeneezer. :laughing9: I think his wife must have said something to him finally because one day it just suddenly stopped.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    shelli wrote:
    I was so nervous about telling my family! iEven though I am grown, married and live across the world! I felt like I was going to get in "trouble"! I guess I was used to trying NOT to get pregnant b/c I was too young, unmarried, etc. that when it was finally okay- I forgot that it was a good thing and nobody was going to be mad at me! :laughing9: :happy2: I was a little weirded out b/c that meant my dad an dmy brothers were going to know I had sex! I mean, not just assume- KNOW for a FACT! :happy2: I am so weird!

I felt like that when I first came back from my honeymoon and the first time I bought birth control, but I don't feel like that w/ pregnancy. Weird, since this is absolute proof!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file