How did you know labor was starting?

Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
I don't think I'm in labor, but I've been feeling crampy all day. I'm 38w2d so it could be anytime now. I didn't get this far last time and I didn't go into labor so I really don't know what to expect.

What were some of the first symptoms you experienced?

I figure I'll know when I start having real and regular contractions, but it's what leads up to them that I'm wondering about. I have no family close by and no real plan other than to take a cab to the hospital while DH stays home with Lucy until my MIL can get here from PA.

I'm scheduled for a c-section next Friday, and I really hope I all goes as planned, but babies come when they want, not when you schedule them and I'm just trying to avoid having to go to the hospital by myself.
If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    My labors always started with my water breaking and then regular contractions within an hour. So, the big gush of water was always a fairly evident sign for me.

You can take your daughter with you to the hospital along with your husband if you go into labor. Since you're going to have a c-sec anyway, they are likely still going to want to go that route. They aren't going to rush you into the operating room though...you'll still have to hang around in labor for an hour or two or three, and you'll probably have time to get your mother there and pick up your daughter. While turbo labors do happen sometimes, it's unlikely you'll deliver so quickly that you need to do it alone without your partner there.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    I had contractions all day starting at about 4 am. They weren't consistent or very close together. All of a sudden they got consistently closer and closer together. Once they were 5 minutes apart, we headed to the hospital. When we got there, they were only 2 minutes apart. The nurse actually said "That's why we ask you to come when your contractions are 5 minutes apart." I told her through clenched teeth "They were when we left"

My water did not break before I got to the hospital and the mucous plug showed up as I was changing into the hospital gown.

If this is the beginning of labour for you - Good Luck!
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    I never went into labor on my own, but I had false labor once. It sort of started with me waking at about 4 am and I had diarrhea. I started having contractions, but about 10 minutes apart and not very strong at all. I was waiting and waiting for them to get closer together or harder, but ended up taking a nap at 2 in the afternoon. The contractions went away while I slept and didn't come back.

I think your dh and dd should go with you to the hospital. Then your MIL could meet you all there. It would probably make you and your dh more comfortable to not have you all by yourself.

Best of luck, if this is it!
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I began to suspect when I lost my mucus plug the day before my due date. Then I woke on my due date with regular contractions. After a few hours of that, I began to believe it.

I never really had Braxton Hicks, so the contractions were new for me.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    Sigi wrote:
    I think your dh and dd should go with you to the hospital. Then your MIL could meet you all there. It would probably make you and your dh more comfortable to not have you all by yourself.

Best of luck, if this is it!

If I go to the hospital during the day it probably won't be an issue, but I'm thinking more of what to do in the middle of the night. It's about a 3 hour ride for MIL so I'd have enough time for her to get here during normal waking hours, but I'm not going to call her at 2:00 am to get in the car.

My other concern is do I really want to deal with a 16 month old at the hospital? I might be better off by myself.

The good thing is we only live about 3 minutes from the hospital so hubby can go back and forth 10 times a day if he wants to. Once the baby is born I'll have DH or MIL take Lucy to visit me in the afternoons and then take her home to nap and eat and then come back after dinner.
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    I lost my mucous plug and instantly began having contractions 8-10 minutes apart. The doctor had stripped my membranes the day before, which left me feeling crampy and having lots of Braxton-Hicks, but I could tell that the real ones were different.

Good luck!!
    ehLB.jpg
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    My labour started with regular contractions about 9 minutes apart. This was in the middle of the night and woke me up, so as far as I know I had no pre-labour symptoms either the day before or the earlier hours of that night.

The contrax definitely felt organized and different from B-H. They were much lower down.

Good luck!

• subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    i had super bad cramps every 2-3 minutes. and i felt like i had to poop. also i lost my mucous plug. but the super bad cramps are what gave it away for me.
    My labour started with regular contractions about 9 minutes apart. This was in the middle of the night and woke me up, so as far as I know I had no pre-labour symptoms either the day before or the earlier hours of that night.

The contrax definitely felt organized and different from B-H. They were much lower down.

Good luck!

Sounds just like me except I did lose my plug the day before - my contractions also woke me up (around 4 am) and felt very low, and were 8-10 mins apart.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    Before the contractions were really noticeable I felt off, odd, strange. Not exactly queasy, but something was going on. With the last one I wanted to walk and walk and walk. But I was tired and also wanted to sit down, but couldn't because I wanted to walk. It was weird.
    I went into labor early with 2 of mine. I was happy because I wanted the baby to be ready, not my scheduled c-section timetable. When I went to the hospital they checked me, and strapped on the monitor to determine if I was having contractions. I think between the time I arrived at the hospital and the time they were born was around 3 hours.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
    There's definitely something going on, but I don't know what. All day today I've been having weird feelings all over my stomach.

Sometimes I feel menstrual like cramps, sometimes I feel something very low that almost feels like gas and sometimes I get that tight feeling over the top of my belly, like a BH contraction.

Do real contractions feel like gas? I thought I had to poop, but I tried and couldn't go, so that wasn't it.

Nothing is regular and it's not getting worse so I'll just sit tight for now and hope for the best. I wish I had some obvious sign like my water breaking or something. When it really starts will I have any doubt?
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    Jenny C wrote:
    There's definitely something going on, but I don't know what. All day today I've been having weird feelings all over my stomach.

Sometimes I feel menstrual like cramps, sometimes I feel something very low that almost feels like gas and sometimes I get that tight feeling over the top of my belly, like a BH contraction.

Do real contractions feel like gas? I thought I had to poop, but I tried and couldn't go, so that wasn't it.
    Nothing is regular and it's not getting worse so I'll just sit tight for now and hope for the best. I wish I had some obvious sign like my water breaking or something. When it really starts will I have any doubt?

tahts exactly what it felt like for me--those stomach pains that youre like "if only i could poop, this would go away!".
    subbrock wrote:
    Jenny C wrote:

tahts exactly what it felt like for me--those stomach pains that youre like "if only i could poop, this would go away!".

Mine didn't. They felt like a really tight belt squeezing me really hard low down practically in my groin.

.png

534Pm5.png

• jcejce Registered Users Posts: 512 Curl Connoisseur
    Jenny C wrote:
    When it really starts will I have any doubt?

If my water hadn't broke, I wouldn't have realized right away I was in labor. I didn't feel any contractions until about 2 hours after my water broke, though they showed up on the monitor. I (naively) thought "that wasn't so bad."

About an hour or so later, though, it was unlike any pain I have ever felt. I had quite a bit of back labor, and it felt like something was trying to violently exit my lower back. I still had a few hours to go before he was born, so hopefully once you know beyond a shadow of a doubt, you'll have time to get to the hospital and get situated.

Good luck! And keep us posted!
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

Well I'm still here - no baby for me yet.

Yesterday morning I was sure that was it. I had some bad cramps Saturday night, but then on Sunday, nothing and I feel fine today.

So now I'm just waiting.
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Registered Users Posts: 4,263
    My labor started with my back hurting. It never stopped hurting either.
  • cajuncurlscajuncurls Registered Users Posts: 270
    I lost my mucous plug at 36 weeks and had Ellie at 38 weeks, 2 days, on a Friday. On Monday, I started having diarrhea that lasted until about Thursday. On Friday at 3:45 after a HELLACIOUS work day, my water started leaking at my desk. She was born at 10.
    Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    How did I know labor was starting? The doctor walked in and said "We have to induce immediately!"

Seriously, that's how I knew.

The first time around, I just knew. My back was KILLING me. I woke up having contractions that were obvious contractions because they were consistently painful and rythmic (my BH would come and go randomly and were not all the same level of HOLY CRAP THAT HURTS painful.)

Actually, the pain was worse the first time because I was so afraid. I couldn't get a grip emotionally and that made it horrible. The second time, yes, the contractions hurt, yes, badly, but my attitude kept me feeling ok.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    I didn't know. My water broke first, but I wasn't sure because it was only a trickle not a gush so I went back to bed and waited until morning to call the doctor. The monitors at the doctor's office and hospital showed I was having contractions but I didn't feel much. It wasn't until the next day (30 hours after my water broke) and they started me on Pitocin that I really started to feel like I was in labor.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file