Question about ovulation/fertility

sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
For those who are knowledgable about cycles and fertility, I want to make sure I understand this correctly. When a woman ovulates, the egg is only viable for a short period of time, like 24 or 48 hours, correct? So she can have unprotected intercourse after that without becoming pregnant. How long should one abstain or use protection after ovulation to be safe?

I do know of the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility--it's on my list of books to read, but I haven't bought it yet.
ehLB.jpg

Comments

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    I've always read sperm can live for 72 hours, and if trying to avoid pregnancy to avoid unprotected sex 3 days before and after ovulating.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    It's the time BEFORE ovulation when you can get pregnant. Sperm can live in your body up to 5 days or so before ovulation, as long as there is wet cervical fluid. Once you have ovulated, the chances of becoming pregnant are slim. TCOYF suggests you abstain or use protection until 24 hours after O is confirmed by a temperature rise, and then you are safe. 3 days after ovulating is way longer than you need to wait, and 3 days before isn't enough for avoiding pregnancy.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    Amneris wrote:
    TCOYF suggests you abstain or use protection until 24 hours after O is confirmed by a temperature rise, and then you are safe. 3 days after ovulating is way longer than you need to wait, and 3 days before isn't enough for avoiding pregnancy.

I'l have to check my copy, but I am pretty sure that for pregnancy avoidance TCOYF says you wait till you have 3 days of high temps. It's partially to give yourself a safety buffer, partially so you know you have truly ovulated with a real rise in temps as opposed to one of those occasional rises caused by something else.

ETA: Just checked the book. Says you are safe to have sex the evening of the third day of high consecutive temperatures. Not 24 hours after first temp rise.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    geeky wrote:
    Amneris wrote:
    TCOYF suggests you abstain or use protection until 24 hours after O is confirmed by a temperature rise, and then you are safe. 3 days after ovulating is way longer than you need to wait, and 3 days before isn't enough for avoiding pregnancy.

I'l have to check my copy, but I am pretty sure that for pregnancy avoidance TCOYF says you wait till you have 3 days of high temps. It's partially to give yourself a safety buffer, partially so you know you have truly ovulated with a real rise in temps as opposed to one of those occasional rises caused by something else.

ETA: Just checked the book. Says you are safe to have sex the evening of the third day of high consecutive temperatures. Not 24 hours after first temp rise.

Oops, sorry. It wasn't TCOYF that says that - it's my NFP booklet that says pregnancy more than 24 hours after O is very rare and so intercourse is fine. TCOYF does say to wait 3 days - I guess it is more conservative. I sometimes confuse the two books.

I always had intercourse then and never got pregnant.

ETA: Wait, now I remember. TCOYF says there is a chance of ovulating twice, hence the 3-day rule. I have ovulated twice in the past, so I DID wait once I started noticing that. I just don't remember because it seems like so long since I had to worry about it.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. Except about ovulating twice--didn't know that was possible. :shock:

I might break down this weekend and buy TCOYF. I hear it's a really good read.
    ehLB.jpg
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    sarah42 wrote:
    Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. Except about ovulating twice--didn't know that was possible. :shock:

If you do ovulate twice I'm pretty sure it would be within a 24 hour period. That's how you could end up with fraternal twins.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
    Jenny C wrote:
    sarah42 wrote:

If you do ovulate twice I'm pretty sure it would be within a 24 hour period. That's how you could end up with fraternal twins.

Yeah, it is within 24 hours usually.

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file