DS's hair

curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
I would post this in the kids hair forum - but so few people seem to visit or reply there.

So, how do I do my son's hair? I usually comb it every morning and put some Just For Me cream on it. My SO's mom and sister think I should braid it - easy for them to say, they're in another province. I know how to braid - but don't know how to do it for a little infant boy. Do I do cornrows or do I just do braids all over his head?

HELP!
Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    For a little boy, I would go with cornrows. Individual braids take longer to do and are harder to do with shorter hair. But braiding is the same regardless of whose hair it is.

But I don't think he NEEDS to have braids. What's wrong with his hair the way it is? It looks adorable and it looks as if you are able to manage it. If it is getting tangled, you could try leaving in conditioner and oil and maybe wrapping it in a do-rag or bandanna or stocking cap at night.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    Amneris wrote:
    For a little boy, I would go with cornrows. Individual braids take longer to do and are harder to do with shorter hair. But braiding is the same regardless of whose hair it is.

But I don't think he NEEDS to have braids. What's wrong with his hair the way it is? It looks adorable and it looks as if you are able to manage it. If it is getting tangled, you could try leaving in conditioner and oil and maybe wrapping it in a do-rag or bandanna or stocking cap at night.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way his hair is. My mom thinks I should cut it, and SO's side of the family thinks it should be braided. I do pretty good with it. It does got pretty tangled. I'll try your suggestion of leaving in conditioner and wrapping it in a do-rag. I'll whip out his Guyanese Flag do rag.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I've seen kiddies with the hair parted into 4-6 sections. Each section is gathered w/ a little elastic on the center and then braided. I think as long as you avoid the pink flower barrettes it will look good on a boy.

200px-Little_girl_braids.jpg
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    geeky wrote:
    I've seen kiddies with the hair parted into 4-6 sections. Each section is gathered w/ a little elastic on the center and then braided. I think as long as you avoid the pink flower barrettes it will look good on a boy.

200px-Little_girl_braids.jpg

I personally would not do that on a boy (except MAYBE at night to sleep)because it is a girls' style and people in our community would tease him for that.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    Maybe it's just me--I wouldn't braid it, esp. if he still has fine hair. I can't imagine getting a one year old kid to sit for that and having the time to braid. Maybe just trim it?

And--I see nothing wrong with how his hair is now.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    gemini wrote:
    Maybe it's just me--I wouldn't braid it, esp. if he still has fine hair. I can't imagine getting a one year old kid to sit for that and having the time to braid. Maybe just trim it?

And--I see nothing wrong with how his hair is now.

ITA with everything you said.
    I like long haired curly boys!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    If you don't like his hair the way it falls naturally I think cornrows would be very cute.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Banned Users Posts: 956
    I saw a boy in Wal-mart a few months ago that had hair a little longer than your son's with a series of braids (like cornrows, but fewer). They were half-braids, with the rest of the hair loose. He got a lot of attention. We currently live in a mostly black area, too - it's still so rare to see black people with natural styles. You could not help but grin because his hair was bouncy and exhuberant like he was. He was just skipping along grinning, oblivious to the attention. Personally, I think your son's hair looks good as is. Maybe wait awhile on the cornrows until he's a bit older unless you know of a braider who is used to working with young children. I don't know anything about where you live, but most cities have AA beauty care stores. We have a local chain that are drugstores up front with a large hair care section in back. The ladies there are really helpful and can recommend stylists if you want to have your son's hair professionally braided.

Just a word of caution - I'd go easy on the creams/pomades. My SO's young nephew is growing out his hair. It is a little longer than your son's. He's having trouble deciding what to do with it in the transition phase so he coats it with some kind of cream that weighs it down and gives it a wet appearance. It looks kinda like Al Sharpton's, but he seems cool with it so we stay quiet.
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    I like it big and out, but if it is getting hard to manage,etc, I would do cornrows. Please do NOT do a little girl style on that baby!!! :)
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
    SO's sister is experienced at doing young kids' hair - but she lives in Toronto.

I'm just going to leave it until he can sit long enough. Right now he sits just long enough for me to comb it and put some leave in conditioner.

When we leave in the morning, his hair is all cute and controlled. At the end of the day, it looks something like this:

36_Woodvale_Court_003.jpg

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
    SO's sister is experienced at doing young kids' hair - but she lives in Toronto.

I'm just going to leave it until he can sit long enough. Right now he sits just long enough for me to comb it and put some leave in conditioner.

When we leave in the morning, his hair is all cute and controlled. At the end of the day, it looks something like this:

I LOVE IT!!!

BTW: This happens to girls too. Kennedy leaves the house looking like an ad for children's hair products. At the end of the day, she looks like she's been in a wrestling ring - hair is all over the place. I think it comes with the age/territory.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    HOW FREAKIN' CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814

Maya too, and her haor is barely wavy and very smooth textured. By the end of the day, she looks like she has a mop on her head.

I LOVE IT!!!

BTW: This happens to girls too. Kennedy leaves the house looking like an ad for children's hair products. At the end of the day, she looks like she's been in a wrestling ring - hair is all over the place. I think it comes with the age/territory.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    The expression on his face is priceless. What a cutie.

My daughter's hair is not yet that long or thick, but it's the same story with us too--cute and controlled ahir in the morning has no bearing on how it will look by the end of the day. I don't know what iw ill do when her hair is longer--she hardly sits for the two minutes I need for her hair now.
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    our son had thick, long, curly hair as an infant. most times, we left it out in a mass of curls. other times, i'd play in it while he slept across my lap and create finger coils by twirling locs of his hair around my fingers. these stayed for days. my mother loved to put about 5 big front-to-back cornrows in his hair. and sometimes i'd put big plaits in his hair.

at 1 year (and before his first hair cut), his hair was about 6-7 inches stretched out! when we'd go out, people would throw up the black power fist and tell him, "right on, baby bro!" :laughing9:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    Yup, kids' hair gets messed up fast - see mine in my avatar! Your son's hair looks so cute though, curly keltie!

My mama did the finger rolls rainshower is talking about - those did help. So far, my son has very silky, smooth hair that doesn't get too messed up, but that might change. I expect he is going to have a LOT of hair!

.png

534Pm5.png

• CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    Could that picture be any cuter???
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
    Amneris wrote:
    Yup, kids' hair gets messed up fast - see mine in my avatar! Your son's hair looks so cute though, curly keltie!

My mama did the finger rolls rainshower is talking about - those did help. So far, my son has very silky, smooth hair that doesn't get too messed up, but that might change. I expect he is going to have a LOT of hair!

your avatar is so sweet!

How do you do finger rolls?

DS's hair was like your son's hair for the first 3 or so months. Smooth and wavy and very controlled. As it grew, it got curlier and crazier. I do love it a lot.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
    Amneris wrote:

your avatar is so sweet!

DS's hair was like your son's hair for the first 3 or so months. Smooth and wavy and very controlled. As it grew, it got curlier and crazier. I do love it a lot.

His hair is already getting thicker and curlier.
    For the rolls, part his wet hair into one or two inch sections starting at the nape of the neck and work forwards. Apply some oil or conditioner and then wrap each section around your finger as if it is a curling iron, hold a few seconds, and slip your finger out. The curl of the hair should hold the section together as it dries.

.png

534Pm5.png

• realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice

:laughing9:
    This made my week. He is soooooo cute!
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420

i just grabbed random sections of hair. no parting. and twirled from the root down to the ends between my thumb and index finger. i didn't use any product; i did it on dry hair. his hair was curly and coily and would practically snap into place around my finger as i was twirling. it was effortless.

i loved this style because it was protective in that his hair was contained in the finger coils and wouldn't get loose, attracting lint and dirt, like it could when it was free and out with curls going every which way. :laughing9:

he's 8 now and i recently finger coiled his hair all over. his hair on top has been a bit straighter since birth and not able to hold coils as well. but when i did the sides and back, his hair was practically wrapping itself around my finger because that's how his hair texture naturally grows. he liked the style.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    Amneris wrote:
    Yup, kids' hair gets messed up fast - see mine in my avatar!

Amneris,
    I think I told you this but your avatar reminds me of Kennedy when she comes home at the end of the day. I really have her looking so cute when we leave in the morning (I swear!). At any rate, your hair is so pretty now so there is hope for my child!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file