How did you tell hubby you were pregnant? (ETA my story!)

Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
I'm counting down the days until I can test (Friday!), and so I'm looking for ideas on ways to tell DH if this happens to be the month. :bounce:

Did any of you plan a fun surprise?

Comments

• M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    Nope, nothing special.
    With #2:
    Although, I had been telling him for WEEKS that I was pregnant, but the test wasn't positive. At the time, I was gettin gup around 4AM for work. So, the morning I tested (with the digital test), and it said Pregnant...I woke him up at 4AM and showed him the test with an, "I told you so..."
    With #1:
    He was pretty much in the bathroom with me watching the test. So, he was there when it was positive.

ETA: I was charting with both of my pregnancies...so by looking at my charts, I pretty much knew that they were timed perfectly in terms of ovulation/intercourse.
    :rambo:
  • PhDCowPhDCow Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Curl Connoisseur
    With Emma, hubby had just gotten home from a rough final exam. He said, "That's nice," and went to bed. The next morning, it hit him.

With Colin, we had just come home from his grandmother's funeral in another state. I went to the bathroom, decided to test, and came out of the bathroom holding the positive test. His eyes bugged out as we weren't exactly trying.

So, no, nothing special either.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Nope, nothing special.
    With #2:
    Although, I had been telling him for WEEKS that I was pregnant, but the test wasn't positive. At the time, I was gettin gup around 4AM for work. So, the morning I tested (with the digital test), and it said Pregnant...I woke him up at 4AM and showed him the test with an, "I told you so..."

LOL!
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Nothing special here either. We had been joking that I might be pregnant since I had a lot of the symptoms, but my first test came back negative (it was way too early). I retested a week later, and got a positive. I was freaking out, and called him to come upstairs. I guess he was busy because he kept asking what I needed, and I was just like you need to come here. I pointed to the test, and he asked what that means (it was one with just lines). I said what do you think? He said You're pregnant? and his eyes got all big. Then we just stood there in silence until I started crying and he held me to comfort me. Not a very romantic story. :laughing9:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    I had no clue I was pregnant except a late period. So early on a Saturday morning, before I peed, I went to CVS and bought a test. When it came back positive I started screaming "TOMMY!!" and woke the poor guy up. I was so shocked.

Just recently, I was bummed that I didn't keep it together better so I could break the news in a "cooler" way!!
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
    Just recently, I was bummed that I didn't keep it together better so I could break the news in a "cooler" way!!

I wouldn't be! It reminds me of how DH proposed to me--we were sitting outside talking late at night on the tailgate of my brother's pick-up. Yeah, not very romantic by most people's standards, but we love to tell the story because it's OUR story. :love1:

We were going to wait to tell people about our engagement until we got a ring, but we couldn't keep it a secret. I'm not sure I'll do much better with being PG.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    No, but I was charting and knew I was, and we conceived the first time we tried so there was not a lot of anticipation or waiting. Kind of takes the fun and romance out of it...

I just showed him the test. He was shocked that it happened so fast.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    I was unsure about my test result b/c the second line was soooooooooooo faint. So I bought another package and got him to pee on a stick so i coudl see what a negative looked like. We were still like, Hmmm..." and then his friend came over (who has 3 kids) adn we were like, "hey- I bet YOU know if this is + or-...take a look" AND then his friend was like, "CONGRATS! Y'all are pregnant!" Hee hee we are dorks! And then his buddy told all the guys at work that my husband took a pregnancy test and everyone still teases him!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
    Mine was faint like that too, Shelli.

I know people who did the big surprise for their husband, but what they found, just like me, is that MOST guys don't necessarily have the really excited, hyper reaction to a pregnancy test like most women do (unless the couple has been trying a really long time, weren't expecting it.) They are kind of overwhelmed/shocked in the beginning, and their excitement grows more gradually when they see their wife's belly get bigger, feel the baby move, etc. That's how it was for my husband. Of course, that doesn't apply to ALL guys.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    The first test I wasn't sure of, so I went out and bought one of those expensive digital ones that spell it out. And for the first one, I gave him the positive test wrapped up as a present. With the 2nd one it kinda dawned on us during a conversation that I had the symptoms and we did the test together.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    We were actively trying and charting, so he was pretty much pestering me every day till I could test. Then I just showed him the stick.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.

I wouldn't be! It reminds me of how DH proposed to me--we were sitting outside talking late at night on the tailgate of my brother's pick-up. Yeah, not very romantic by most people's standards, but we love to tell the story because it's OUR story. :love1:

We were going to wait to tell people about our engagement until we got a ring, but we couldn't keep it a secret. I'm not sure I'll do much better with being PG.

You must be my twin - our engagement story is similar!! He kept trying to get me to go out and do things or out to dinner, and I was like, "Nah, let's just stay home and relax." So he went to "take out the garbage" and came back upstairs and said, "Guess what I found out in the garbage." My response? "Not that computer monitor that we threw out last week - did someone bring it back?" And he said, "Ummm...noooo" and was holding the ring box. I'm so clueless sometimes. But like you it cracks us up because it's our story!
    3b (I think!)

You must be my twin - our engagement story is similar!! He kept trying to get me to go out and do things or out to dinner, and I was like, "Nah, let's just stay home and relax." So he went to "take out the garbage" and came back upstairs and said, "Guess what I found out in the garbage." My response? "Not that computer monitor that we threw out last week - did someone bring it back?" And he said, "Ummm...noooo" and was holding the ring box. I'm so clueless sometimes. But like you it cracks us up because it's our story!

Poor guy! :laughing9:
    Amneris wrote:
    I know people who did the big surprise for their husband, but what they found, just like me, is that MOST guys don't necessarily have the really excited, hyper reaction to a pregnancy test like most women do (unless the couple has been trying a really long time, weren't expecting it.) They are kind of overwhelmed/shocked in the beginning, and their excitement grows more gradually when they see their wife's belly get bigger, feel the baby move, etc. That's how it was for my husband. Of course, that doesn't apply to ALL guys.

Yeah, I think I just like planning fun things. I'm charting, so he's pretty much expecting to know one way or another soon anyways.

I think I may save the fun surprises for our parents.
  • imagenimagen Registered Users Posts: 343
    With our son, we weren't trying so he was a suprise. I wanted to try to make it nice because 1: I wanted it it be more positive than "Oops, I'm pregnant." and 2: Unfortunately we had a miscarriage before and given specific circumstances surrounding the situation I freaked out and told him on the phone and we both broke down in tears..of fear..so that wasn't a very nice memory. (You'd think we never used birth control the way things happened!) So with our son I bought a pair of baby shoes and wrapped them up for him. I thought it was cute, but he still had this face: :pale: Although we were scared, things quickly changed and obviously worked out!

With our daughter, he sort of walked in on me looking like this, :shock:, at the test. Although this time we were trying, I really didn't feel like I was pregnant, plus we were just getting over a big fight, so I was still mad at him! :laughing9: It was hard to be all "Aww..we're having another baby!" when I was still pissed!
    .png

.png
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    It was Valentine's day and my period was about a week overdue, so I bit the bullet and took a pregnancy test. My unsuspecting husband was awakened from his nap to me showing him the stick with two lines. He honestly had no idea what that meant and he thought I was messing with him. In our case, he was the more excited one (he was ready for kids!) while I was the one freaking out. (and he kept the stick :silent: )
  • jcejce Registered Users Posts: 512 Curl Connoisseur
    For the first one, I didn't tell him I suspected, but had a doctor's appointment for something else. While there, they did a test, and it was positive. While I was waiting, I noticed a free little booklet on pregnancy info for first time fathers - something about becoming a father. I took the booklet home, gave it to him, and said "you're might want to read this." His response was "why would I want to read this?" Then he finally got it, and looked sort of stunned.

Not like we weren't trying, but he thought it would take longer than 2 tries. And of course he told his whole family about my telling him by giving him the little booklet. It was cute.

The second one, we sort of figured out together when I told him he had to stop and pick up rice from the local Indian restaurant for dinner. Nothing else, just the rice. A few days later we got the positive test.
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

• fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    We were trying and I was sure I wasn't. I'd had many more "symptoms" in other cycles. I decided to test on Election day just the same. I got up at 6, as usual and tested. It was positive. I had an extra test, so I did a second one. Also positive. I went into the bedroom and told him that the Democrats (we're both liberals) were going to take the house AND the senate, because we are pregnant. :drunken: Then, we went and voted. :afro:
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    With the first he was with me when I tested, both times.
    I can't remember with the second. We just knew by the way I was acting.
    With the 3rd I told him when I took the test because we were really shocked.
    With the 4th, I was really afraid to tell him because I thought he'd be really unhappy. I knew for almost a month before I worked up the courage to tell him. I think I cried, and later that day he came home with a huge rose bouquet and a beautiful white teddy bear to make me feel better.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    "im pregnant."

i took a test and it came back negative, and he was sad and said, "i still think youre pregnant." i yelled at him and told him to shutup! a few days later i got what i thought was my period....

the next month, my period was MIA. we were in a huge fight and while iwas at work i snuck in the bathroom and took a test and it came back positive. so i took like 3 more and they were positive. i called him at work and told him. *getting teary eyed** that was this time last year! now i have a 3 month old!
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    with our first, i had the positive test on the counter in our bathroom. i ran to the stairs and said, "DH, something's wrong with the toilet up here!" i let him pass me into the bathroom and as he was sitting on the edge of the tub looking at it, he saw the positive test at eye-level and started smiling.

with our second, we both suspected that i was pregnant. i bought a test on my lunch break and waited until i got home to take it. he was watching t.v. when i came out holding it up. smiling, he said, "rainshoweeeeeer!" in a way that only he can say my name.

with all of these beautiful new babies in here, i've been craving another one, but i'm certain we won't have anymore. :sad5: i am blessed and happy with the two that we have! :love1:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    I had gone to the doctor's office for my final check-up after my two surgeries. The doctor told me the next month that we would take the next step for infertility and start clomid. I told him I was a day late but I had been late before so he ordered a pregnancy test. The nurse and I watched the results. She must have been new because she asked me if that was a positive...I told her I had no idea. I stood there trembling until I heard the other nurse outside go yes...that's a positive.

Back in came the doctor with a big grin...and he ordered a blood test.

I was leaving trying to decide how to tell DH that I was pregnant when he called to see how my appointment went. He had already decided for himself that I wasn't pregnant this month. I immediately blurted out that I was pregnant. I just couldn't contain myself after 3 years of trying. DH was in shock and I don't think he believed it until he saw the heartbeat at the doctor's office a week later.
    I love hearing everybody's stories! :happy1: Here's hoping I get to add my own soon! :bounce:
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    "Don't touch this, I peed on it. What does it say?"

I was convinced I was reading it wrong. It was one that actually says "pregnant" or "not pregnant." On the commercial, "pregnant" is centered in the window. On mine, it was off to one side, leaving ample room for the NOT to develop. Which it never did. So I was looking for a second opinion.
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    CGNYC wrote:
    "Don't touch this, I peed on it. What does it say?"

I was convinced I was reading it wrong. It was one that actually says "pregnant" or "not pregnant." On the commercial, "pregnant" is centered in the window. On mine, it was off to one side, leaving ample room for the NOT to develop. Which it never did. So I was looking for a second opinion.

LOL, that's funny.

I kept using the ones with the lines for #2, and he wouldn't believe it. It wasn't until I got the one that actually SAYS pregnant/not pregnant. We had issues with the line/no line/barely a line, etc. LOL.
    :rambo:
    Your husbands know how to read pregnancy tests on sight and what the lines mean? I guess mine is clueless, because I am 100% sure he would have no idea.

.png

534Pm5.png

• geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    Mine didn't know. He had to keep looking at the directions at the box...and even when we established taht two lines mean "pregnant" he thought I was playing a joke on him. :clown:

Is there a more "hold your breath moment" than when you're looking at the stick and waiting for the results to appear? I already knew something was up, obviously, but to see it confirmed is exciting and a bit scary.
    gemini wrote:
    Is there a more "hold your breath moment" than when you're looking at the stick and waiting for the results to appear? I already knew something was up, obviously, but to see it confirmed is exciting and a bit scary.

I had no inkling other than my late period that it'd come back positive. I was used to taking tests because before every routine CT scan I'd take one just to make sure I wasn't. So it was quite the :shock: :cheers: !! But yes, as I saw that second line filling in, I was just amazed!
    3b (I think!)
  • mel_80mel_80 Registered Users Posts: 173
    I waited until my husband went out to run errands and I took a test. I was a little over a week late and I had a feeling it would be positive because of a dream I had earlier that week. We weren't trying at all, but I knew my husband would be happy. Once he came back home I didn't tell him for about 30 minutes (I was still processing) and then I just said "I guess we don't need to worry about birth control anymore." He was a bit confused so I added "Well, at least for 9 months or so". It was like a light bulb went off over his head. He said "Wow" and then started grinning :)
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    I really did not think I was pregnant. I had been talking to SweetPickles and I think complaining about PMS and she convinced me to test. My husband was leaving that afternoon for a week and I just wanted to put it to rest so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I was SHOCKED. The "pregnant" came up IMMEDIATLY and I was just floored.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file