How damage has your hair ever been?

LKahmilLKahmil Registered Users Posts: 241 Curl Connoisseur
How damage has your hair been? What happened and what did you do to get it back? Were you able to get it back to where it was before??

Comments

• jeamariajeamaria Registered Users Posts: 1,851
    I once had my hair burnt right off with a pressing comb. It turned a bright blond then disintegrated on the spot leaving me with about an inch of hair in that section. It grew back finer, more loosely curled and weaker. It's still shorter than the rest of my hair and that happened more than 10 years ago.

I've also had progressive damage from pressing my hair to the point where it was breaking so bad I had no choice but to cut it. I ended up with a 2 inch ponytail on straight hair (yes, I was still straightening even after that). After a while I gave up heat completely, and within a few years my hair was just a couple inches above BSL at its longest point. Then, of course, I started pressing it often to see the length. . .

Right now, I am still growing out damage from flat ironing my hair and setting it for a looser curl, which I was doing frequently about 2 years ago. Plus overuse of glycerine products in the winter which really dried out my hair. Basically, I have knots on almost every strand. I'm cutting it out slowly, with a series of deep trims, as well as nursing it back with a lot of conditioning. Knock on wood, it'll recover.
  • HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Registered Users Posts: 1,316
    That happened to me before too with the pressing comb. I'd say about 3/4 times. Oh well, it's hair and it grows back. Mine grew back the same way I think, but it's not like a noticeable difference, in fact I couldn't even tell you where it happened now it was like years and years ago.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
  • curlynyricancurlynyrican Registered Users Posts: 134
    That happened to me but with a blow dryer. It shot sparks, very scarry, luckily it was in the back of my head and very easily hidden.

In college I dyed my already relaxed hair blonde. It of course turned orange, so I dyed it purple. When that faded I dyed it dark black almost blue. Needless to say i had a headfull of curly hay on my head. My hair was so damaged I had to cut it off and start from the begining. Needless to say I have not colored my hair since, about 13 years!
    3c/4a 3 Years Relaxer Free!

http://public.fotki.com/curlynyrican/
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Blonde hotfoiling for 7 years combined with texlaxing pretty much ruined and brok off a lot of my hair. I stopped the blonde madness 7 years ago but still used semi-permanent color with texlax, breaking hair and thinning my hairline back.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • curlywifecurlywife Registered Users Posts: 198
    Years ago when I had a perm, I had the great idea to get permanent color in my hair (unfortunately I let my stepsister do it she had been coloring her hair for years). I must say the color (chestnut blonde) was very cute. I absolutely loved it. I received so many compliments. All of a sudden, my hair started breaking off sooooooo bad. As I combed my hair, it would just fall out as if I was cutting with scissors. It was horrible. Thankfully, all of my hair didn't fall out. I started going to a great beautician. He informed me that my hair was too thin to handle all of those chemicals (perm+color). Needless to say, I grew the color out, kept my ends clipped and never had that problem again. Since then, I have never used permanent color on my hair and I don't plan to even though I no longer have a perm. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Plus I like my black hair. I always use black semi-permanent rinses.

hth
    4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
    DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
    Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Traction alopecia. I kept getting braids and that broke my hair off. I have them again right now. I am a fool that will never learn! :blackeye:
    see my 2005 album for more details and pics of the damage.
  • TEOGTEOG Registered Users Posts: 100
    I was once triple processed (relaxed, bleached, and then colored over that). After my hair started breaking uncontrollably, I decided to transition.
    Coily and cute.

4something-ish
  • windaurawindaura Registered Users Posts: 13
    My hair has gotten so bad that my split ends have split ends. I can gently tug on the relaxed part of my hair, and breaking ends will fall out as if I yanked a small tooth comb through it.
    I'm Lauren...
    Kinky curly hair - 4a
  • freshkinkycutfreshkinkycut Registered Users Posts: 111
    I decided that within 3 1/2 weeks I needed a touch up with a perm. Needless to say my hair did not agree and went on strike. My hair fell out in clumps unitl I had no hair in the back of my head and the top that decided to stay was see through. :sad2: Go visit my "damaged hair" album for the pics....VIEWER DISCRESION ADVISED. It can give you nightmares, **me shuddering** I'm so glad I decided to go natural.
    Hairveda convert for 2009! :wave:
    http://public.fotki.com/freshkinkycut/

event.png

comic-p.jpg
  • jada1111jada1111 Registered Users Posts: 829
    Many years ago, I dyed, bleached and RELAXED my hair all in the same week. Needless to say it fell out and I needed to get it cut short, shaped and colored back to black.

I was trying to dye it BLONDE, but instead had bright orange hair. It was awful. Haven't colored it since that time, but I will next year. This time with a PROFESSIONAL and NOT blonde. LOL!
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I have a million stories...

When I was 15 yrs old my neighbor told my mom about her sister's salon and how her sister was relaxing everybody with this Venezuelan product that was supposedly really good. Anybody who's Dominican knows about Permastrate. Worst product EVER. My mom let me go to this salon and the woman put this crap in my hair. She kept raving about how great this product was, how great it relaxed my hair, bla bla bla. What she didn't say is that its extremely powerful and meant for hard to relax hair. Actually I think its meant for the garbage can LOL

So 2 days after getting my hair relaxed I noticed more hair in the comb than on my head. 2 weeks later I did a ponytail and my hair felt alot shorter. A month later I had to cut my hair because I literally had like no hair on the sides on my hair and just hair in the middle. I had it cut in a bop and before the relaxer my hair was to my shoulders. Needless to say I never went there again. It was back to the drawing board. I bumped into this so called salon owner a few months later and I told her what happened. She seemed genuinely sorry, but didn't really say much. This was 1986 when I lived in the Dominican Republic so going natural was not only unheard of, but I would've been ridiculed. Please don't do the math on my age LOL

I don't know about you guys but it seemed like every friggin time I had my hair a decent length and almost to my bra strap... it never failed and somehow somebody or a product would screw up my hair and I was back to short again :laughing9:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I decided that within 3 1/2 weeks I needed a touch up with a perm. Needless to say my hair did not agree and went on strike. My hair fell out in clumps unitl I had no hair in the back of my head and the top that decided to stay was see through. :sad2: Go visit my "damaged hair" album for the pics....VIEWER DISCRESION ADVISED. It can give you nightmares, **me shuddering** I'm so glad I decided to go natural.

Just saw the pictures and left a comment! The same thing happened to my sister and she had a scab in the middle of her head for like 3 yrs that wouldn't grow any hair.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file