How to cut wavy hair

pontoofpontoof Posts: 23Registered Users
I'm 30 years old and I've finally realized my curl potential. My hair is very thick and coarse and I've straightened it forever. I've just recently started wearing it wavy. I have always had issues with finding someone who knows how to cut my hair. Everyone I've gone to always wants to thin it out with a thinning shears and I've heard you shouldn't do that to curly hair, is that true? How do I find someone who understands curly/wavy hair? Should I be thinning my hair out at all or does that disrupt the curl pattern? It is just past shoulder length and I am trying to grow it longer.

Thanks,

Molly

Comments

• 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you looked at the CurlSalons section above to see if there are any recommended stylists near you? You can also check out the devachan website (www.devachansalon.com) and see if there are any deva-trained stylists near you. Finally you can give your general location (ie: Southeast PA) and ask people on these boards if they recommend anyone in that region. HTH!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Posts: 300Registered Users
    Hmm. Well I just told my hair dresser that I did not want any thinning. She is really good about listening to what I want. I think that is key. If you don't have anyone near you like Poodles said, then you should just look for a great listener! Good luck!
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
  • MaureneMaurene Posts: 69Registered Users
    You're hair sound like mine. I'm really not sure if thinning shears are a good idea or not. I've asked on these boards and got mixed responses. I tend to think that using those shears on my hair MAY cause more flyaways and I don't really see it as necessary when I'm no longer blowdrying my hair. Any decent hairstylist should abide by your wishes not to use the shears - if you tell them.

I also wonder if "deva" cuts are really necessary or helpful for wavies. I suppose going to a deva trained stylist can't hurt and it ensures you're seeing someone who has worked with curly hair. I too am searching for the perfect stylist.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file