aftermath of lactic acid peel - comments please

jax3catsjax3cats Posts: 34Registered Users
After reading all the rave reviews of lactic acid peels, I bought some 40% solution and used it on Monday. Overall my skin is in fairly good condition, but I do have large pores on my T-zone and bumpy skin on my forehead. My biggest areas of concern, however, are the right side of my upper lip, which has some discoloration due to a burn I got a couple fo years ago, and my chin, which has some dark spots caused by me squeezing zits.

I applied hte lactic acid and started with my upper lip, then started timing it after i finished my whole face, so my upper lip probably had the peel on for 30 seconds longer. My face felt hot and tingly for a few hours afterward, but not unbearably so. And I didn't see any dramatic difference in my skin, but I figured it would take a few uses before I start seeing results.

The next morning I discovered two small patches of really rough skin; one is on my problematic upper lip, and the other is in the crease I call the "Fred Flinstone crease" that goes from the edge of your nostril to corner of your mouth. I'm thinking this rough patch was actually irritation because I left the acid on too long. Am I correct in assuming this?

I was planning on doing another peel tomorrow night, but figure I should wait and give these areas a chance to heal. I've been putting aloe vera gel and shea butter on them, and it seems to be helping. I'm just worried that the next time I do a peel, I'll just reaggravate the areas.

I'm also concerned that a lactic acid peel may not be the best way to correct the discoloration on my upper lip, since it's not really hyperpigmentation but rather scarring from a previous burn. Any thoughts about this?

I would appreciate any info/experience/anecdotes/suggestiosn you might have. I figure I have enough LA left for at least 4-5 more peels, and I also have a bottle of 35% glycolic acid to use after I'm done with the LA.
2 of my 3 boys
~~~~~~~~~~~
USED to think I was a 2 b/c wavy, until I started growing out my very short hair and discovered I'm actually a 3 a/b curlyhead!

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i would've started with a milder solution to see how your skin reacts before going to 40%.

and i would wait a week between peels at such a high concentration.

is it possible to get a lower concentration? can you return the unused portion of what you have now?
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I don't think they sell anything milder than 40%, which is already pretty mild, imo (and I have very sensitive skin). I guess it can be diluted to about 20%.

Questions (so much wasn't clear from your post):

1) How long did you leave the lactic acid peel on?
    2) Did you use the pre and post peel pH buffered solution?
    3) Did you use any products containing AHA, BHA, or retina-A in the days leading up to (or day of) the tmt?
    4) What kind of cleanser/soap did you use prior to the tmt?
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cherish asks very good questions.

I started with the 55% and have had no problems at all, but I follow all of the directions, although even the first time I left it on the maximum they suggested and now leave it onfor 10 to 13 minutes at a time.

I would say if you followed all of the directions you must have super sensitive skin and maybe shouldn't use it at all. I never had any burning afterwards like you did, so that doesn't sound good.

You can e-mail them at mua and they are very good about answering questions.
  • jax3catsjax3cats Posts: 34Registered Users
    Cherish wrote:
    I don't think they sell anything milder than 40%, which is already pretty mild, imo (and I have very sensitive skin). I guess it can be diluted to about 20%.

Questions (so much wasn't clear from your post):

1) How long did you leave the lactic acid peel on?
    2) Did you use the pre and post peel pH buffered solution?
    3) Did you use any products containing AHA, BHA, or retina-A in the days leading up to (or day of) the tmt?
    4) What kind of cleanser/soap did you use prior to the tmt?

OK, here are a few more details.

I left the peel on for 6 minutes; the recommended time period is 4-6 minutes and generally my skin is pretty "hardy" and not very sensitive.

The lactic acid I got (from an eBay seller) didn't include any pre- or post- peel solutions. the instructions only indicated I needed to use a non-oily cleanser and rinse with water. It did give more specific instructions for the glycolic peel (neutralize with baking soda paste afterwards) but not for the LA. I wasn't aware I needed to do anything special

I have used a combination of AHAs, BHA, and retinol in the days leading up to the peel and probably that morning as well. I haven't used any of those products since doing the peel.

I used a Dove facial wipe for senstive skin prior to doing the peel. It's sulfate-free and oil-free. After I rinsed really well with water, I applied an Aveeno moisturizer and went to bed.

I didn't notice the little rough patches until 2 days later. The more I look at them, it appears that it's not blistering (which was my first fear) but more like really rough skin that's kind of leathery. At any rate, since putting aloe and shea butter on them yesterday they've practically disappeared. I'm still going to wait until at least Monday before trying it again, and will probably only leave it on for 5 minutes. BUt now I have more questions:

What should I use to clean my face pre-and post-peel? Since I didn't get any "special" ph-balancing stuff, what can I buy at the drugstore that will do the same thing?

Regarding the AHAs, BHA, and retinol products, should I stop using them completely? Can / Should I add them back to my routine post-peel? At what point?

I suspect the results of the LA peels are cumulative, correct? But I suspect at some point enough is enough. What is the recommended interval / number of peels that are "safe" for fairly normal skin? Or can I just keep doing them as "preventive" maintenance from time to time?

Any and all help will be appreciated.
    2 of my 3 boys
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    USED to think I was a 2 b/c wavy, until I started growing out my very short hair and discovered I'm actually a 3 a/b curlyhead!
    sdcurly wrote:
    Cherish asks very good questions.

I try :D
    jax3cats wrote:
    OK, here are a few more details.

I left the peel on for 6 minutes; the recommended time period is 4-6 minutes and generally my skin is pretty "hardy" and not very sensitive.

The lactic acid I got (from an eBay seller) didn't include any pre- or post- peel solutions.

Uh oh! I left mine for 3 mins the first time. My instructions said (I think) to start with 1 min and build up.
    the instructions only indicated I needed to use a non-oily cleanser and rinse with water. It did give more specific instructions for the glycolic peel (neutralize with baking soda paste afterwards) but not for the LA. I wasn't aware I needed to do anything special

I have used a combination of AHAs, BHA, and retinol in the days leading up to the peel and probably that morning as well. I haven't used any of those products since doing the peel.

So your skin was in a highly sensitive state.
    I used a Dove facial wipe for senstive skin prior to doing the peel. It's sulfate-free and oil-free. After I rinsed really well with water, I applied an Aveeno moisturizer and went to bed.

This is fine.
    I didn't notice the little rough patches until 2 days later. The more I look at them, it appears that it's not blistering (which was my first fear) but more like really rough skin that's kind of leathery. At any rate, since putting aloe and shea butter on them yesterday they've practically disappeared. I'm still going to wait until at least Monday before trying it again, and will probably only leave it on for 5 minutes.

BUt now I have more questions:

What should I use to clean my face pre-and post-peel?

I think dove was fine. My kit came with a green tea soap which is super mild.
    Since I didn't get any "special" ph-balancing stuff, what can I buy at the drugstore that will do the same thing?

I'm afraid I don't know, but this omission is very likely the reason your skin felt hot and tingly for hours afterwards. I bought my kit from makeupartistschoice.com You might want to email them as sdcurly suggested and ask. Maybe they can sell you the solution separately.
    Regarding the AHAs, BHA, and retinol products, should I stop using them completely? Can / Should I add them back to my routine post-peel? At what point?

I stop these 1-2 days before and resume 1-2 days afterwards.
    I suspect the results of the LA peels are cumulative, correct? But I suspect at some point enough is enough. What is the recommended interval / number of peels that are "safe" for fairly normal skin? Or can I just keep doing them as "preventive" maintenance from time to time?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

The effects are indeed cumulative. I'm not sure when enough is supposed to be enough. Someone else might have the answer.

I would not do anymore tmts until you have everything sorted out.
    wow, thanks for the quick replies. After posting here I've done a little bit of reading online regarding chemical peels and apparently the little rough spots are part of the normal healing porcess. One site actually likened it to a snake shedding skin, and that's kind of what it reminded me of.

My skin really isn't very sensitive, because I've built up a tolerance to OTC AHAs and BHAs over the past several years (I've used the Alpha Hydrox 8% AHA for several years and Philosophy's "Help Me" for about 2), but after the burn fiasco on my upper lip (which now makes it look like it's dirty thanks to the change in pigmentation) I'm afraid of making things worse rather than better. I think I will continue to do a bit more research and proceed with caution.

Thanks for the insight. If you think of anything else, please post away.
    2 of my 3 boys
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe they can sell you the solution separately.

Yes they do sell it separately but they make it difficult to find, you have to go to one of their glycolic peels to find it. I would recommend that you do buy it though. Here is a link. Go to the very bottom of the page where it says "Need more prep solution?". Use it before and after the peel when your skin is completely dry after cleansing.

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/60glycolic.htm

As far as enough is enough, I don't plan to ever stop. I do it once or twice a week. I've also never had rough ptaches. I would recommend buying it from mua and not ebay. I didn't realize you had not purchased it from makeupartistschoice. They are very good about quality control and helping out by answering e-mails and I just buy the sample size which lasts months.

With ebay you can't be sure of what you are getting.
    sdcurly wrote:
    With ebay you can't be sure of what you are getting.

ITA!!
    Yeah, I guess I probably should have gotten the stuff from MUAC. But this particular seller is a power seller and seemed to "specialize" in chemical peels; they have near-perfect feedback and I read lots of comments from satisifed customers, so I decided to take the plunge.

I think I may have left the initial peel on too long. As much as I consider my skin to not be very sensitive, I don't want to overdo it. It's hard for me to practice moderation. In my mind, if 4 minutes is good, 6 MUST be better. I think tomorrow I will just do 4 minutes.

T
    2 of my 3 boys
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    I think I am addicted to lactic acid peels. Last night I did my third in as many weeks, and after I applied it I noticed how much smoother the skin on my forehead looks (used to be somewhat bumpy) and how much better my skintone was already. And I think it's starting to fade the pigmentation on my upper lip, but not as fast as I'd hoped.

I'm using the 40% solution and am keeping it on for 5 minutes and it seems to be working out well. I also figured out the best order to apply it so that it stays on the most sensitive areas the least amount of time and haven't had any more issues with the rough patches.

I am so anxious to do another treatment, but I am going to wait at least a week between them. Despite not getting the LA from MUAC, I am very happy with the results I'm getting from this eBay stuff. I bought an ounce, have used it 3 times, and can probably get 6 more treatments from it, which is better than I expected.
    2 of my 3 boys
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jax... that sounds great! :D

I'm loving the LA peels, too. My skin is smoother and more moist/dewy.

I bought the 1/2 ounce samplers of both the 40% and 55%. I'm almost half way through the 1/2 ounce of the 40% after 6+ tmts, so I must be applying a thinner layer than you. Overall, I'm very pleased.
    Cherish wrote:
    Jax... that sounds great! :D

I'm loving the LA peels, too. My skin is smoother and more moist/dewy.

I bought the 1/2 ounce samplers of both the 40% and 55%. I'm almost half way through the 1/2 ounce of the 40% after 6+ tmts, so I must be applying a thinner layer than you. Overall, I'm very pleased.

My LA is very thin (almost water-like) and I use a soft brush to apply it, so I'm sure I'm losing a lot of it in the application process, LOL! But I don't mind too much; I only paid $20 total for an ounce of each of the 40% LA and 35% Glycolic acid, including shipping, so I'm not going to complainif I only get 10 treatments total from it; that would be $1 per treatment! But you're right, I think I may be applying a bit more than needed. This weekend I will use a bit less and see how it works out.
    2 of my 3 boys
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
  • iloveanimalsiloveanimals Posts: 4Registered Users
    jax3cats wrote:
    I think I am addicted to lactic acid peels. Last night I did my third in as many weeks, and after I applied it I noticed how much smoother the skin on my forehead looks (used to be somewhat bumpy) and how much better my skintone was already. And I think it's starting to fade the pigmentation on my upper lip, but not as fast as I'd hoped.

I'm using the 40% solution and am keeping it on for 5 minutes and it seems to be working out well. I also figured out the best order to apply it so that it stays on the most sensitive areas the least amount of time and haven't had any more issues with the rough patches.

I am so anxious to do another treatment, but I am going to wait at least a week between them. Despite not getting the LA from MUAC, I am very happy with the results I'm getting from this eBay stuff. I bought an ounce, have used it 3 times, and can probably get 6 more treatments from it, which is better than I expected.

Where are you ordering the LAP's from?
    "My mission --to make God loved-will begin after my death," she said. "I will spend my heaven doing good on earth. I will let fall a shower of roses." St. Therese of Lisieux
  • sandradeesandradee Posts: 55Registered Users
    I haven't had too much luck with the lactic acid peels. The only one that's really worked for me is MD Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel. I like the pads and the way the face feels so refreshed after. Especially in the summer when my face is the most oily and grimy. Coming home last weekend from camping and giving myself this treatment was especially nice.
    Sandra,

You mentioned your skin feels refreshed... what else (or specifically) has the MD product done for your skin vs what the LA peel did/didn't?

I'm still happy with the LA peel, but I want to stay on top of similar products that may be just as good or better.
    Raindrop wrote:
    jax3cats wrote:

Where are you ordering the LAP's from?

I got it on eBay; the company is called "Glymagic". Here is a link from an auction similar to the one I did (exact products and price) . I am happy with the products and the results I'm getting. They also have a website www.glymagic.com http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21022&item=5581677630&tc=photo
    2 of my 3 boys
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file