Guess what curlies? We need to straighten our hair!

purdycurlypurdycurly Registered Users Posts: 51
Today when I was walking down the hall to my lockers a I heard two girls whispering about my hair:

"She needs to straighten it."
"It's too curly, it looks like a bush."
"I hate curly hair. They all need to straighten it."

When I was walking home I had passed a different girl and she shouted "STRAIGHTEN YOUR HAIR." in front of everyone.

And then finally when I was video calling my best friend, I told her about those insults and she said "Maybe they're right. You would look awesome with straight hair! All the boys at school think you look like a maniac!"

After that, I ran to my bedroom and cried for about half an hour and pulled my hair in a bun and scheduled a relaxer appointment with my moms stylist. When I got there she said "i'm sorry sweety but i just cant control your hair. I don't know what to do with that poodle of yours."

I stormed out of there with tears in my eyes and then came here to write about it. It seems like we all need to straighten our hair. :help: :mad:
Too curly for you!

I'm a 3a/3b
Dark dark dark dark black hair
Just below shoulders and growing it out!!

Comments

• neonrainbowneonrainbow Registered Users Posts: 41
    Wow, those people sound horrible! Please don't straighten your hair because a bunch of mean, probably very shallow people think you should. Just because they prefer straight hair doesn't mean you should too - what does their opinion matter?

Sorry for ranting, these kind of people really make me angry. *hugs you* Sorry you have to deal with them.
  • curlicurli Registered Users Posts: 857 Curl Neophyte
    Wow I'm glad I'm out of High School because I wouldve been suspended lol. I'm sorry those girls were so mean to you but it kinda sounds lke follow the leader @ your school & they're definitely jealous of your hair. You have the option to wear it curly or straight & they're mad they don't have that option.. Don't change because of them .. Stay unique.. People tend to be ignorant to things they don't understand or want to understand. Please don't waste anymore tears on them & definitely don't EVER let them see you cry..

Keep your head up....
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Registered Users Posts: 3,093
    DARE to be different, life's MUCH more interesting that way. I thought HS sucked, too. Hang in there, I can promise all the drama will pass...
    2b/3a.
  • keikokkeikok Banned Banned Users Posts: 585
    I've been through that, it seems like all people notice is your hair. Even people with really aweful hair told me that I had bad hair because it was big and curly.
  • Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Registered Users Posts: 109
    In five years nobody will ever have heard of any of those people. They're just making noise on their dull journey to the middle, LOL.
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
    Trust me girl, I've been in your exact shoes. Junior high and high school were like that for me, and let me tell you those same people are the ones who will end up doing your nails someday. The only reason they are pointing their finger at you is to keep the focus off of them, plain and simple. Next time someone says something, calmly call them on it, ask them what do they mean by that. Make them say it to your face. My grandma always told me "if you won't stand up for yourself, no one else will" and I've found that to be true. I'm not saying you should go all Carrie on their as.ses but stand up for yourself. Sometimes a quick retort back works wonders. I really feel for you because I have been there and am still struggling with the things people did to me, because words hurt, no matter what anyone says. Keep your head up, you're bound for better things than these petty little people you have to deal with.
  • bobbybobby Registered Users Posts: 785 Curl Connoisseur
    purdycurly wrote:
    Today when I was walking down the hall to my lockers a I heard two girls whispering about my hair:

"She needs to straighten it."
    "It's too curly, it looks like a bush."
    "I hate curly hair. They all need to straighten it."

When I was walking home I had passed a different girl and she shouted "STRAIGHTEN YOUR HAIR." in front of everyone.

And then finally when I was video calling my best friend, I told her about those insults and she said "Maybe they're right. You would look awesome with straight hair! All the boys at school think you look like a maniac!"

After that, I ran to my bedroom and cried for about half an hour and pulled my hair in a bun and scheduled a relaxer appointment with my moms stylist. When I got there she said "i'm sorry sweety but i just cant control your hair. I don't know what to do with that poodle of yours."

I stormed out of there with tears in my eyes and then came here to write about it. It seems like we all need to straighten our hair. :help: :mad:

This to shall pass. I've told this story before and I'll tell it again. However, this is from a guy's viewpoint. When I was 14 (about 20 years ago), I went three months between haircuts and had a pretty good-sized fro. I had a lot of compliments on my waves and curls but it became too much trouble, I thought at the time. Plus, as a boy, I felt a little out of place.

So for about the next 19 years, I wore it really short. Then about a couple years at age 33, I decided to grow it out. I go about 6-8 weeks between haircuts and merely get it trimmed now. I've gotten my share of compliments. In fact, my wife has said, "I wish my hair would curl like yours." I guess one moral of looking at your site is that I wished I accept my hair the way it was more openly back then.

I guess the main thing is, who cares what they think.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with everyone else HS is sooo much different then the real world. In HS everyone wants to "fit in" and that means everyone look the same sometimes.

I tried to fit in for years, and then one day my senior year, I said forget it. I don't care about fashion rules, or what they say. I'm just going to wear what I want, and sometimes wear stuff just to get on their nerves. I ended up making such a bold statement just being different, I made way more friends then I ever did trying to be like them. And they were REAL friends who truly cared for me.

usually people who say stuff like that, are usually very insecure themselves. Why else would they care? It's not like they have live with your hair, it doesn't truly effect their lives, and if they don't like it, all they have to do is just look away.
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Registered Users Posts: 351
    Oh my. People never cease to amaze me with how dumb they are! I went through the same thing in school, honey. Other kids always picked a reason why I was different so they could torment me. Whether it was because I was multiracial, was a girl, was goth, had curly hair, dressed differently, didn't have designer clothes...insecure people will always try to attack something different, no matter what it is.

I know it's hard. There is no easy way through it, but don't relax your hair. It only ends up damagin it in the long run. All those girls who do it will end up with flat, broken, dull hair while you will still have your bnatural, beautiful soft curls. Stand up to them and show them you will not take that disrespect. You also might be able to talk to a counselor, becaue what they're doing sounds like harrassment.
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• heavengirl410heavengirl410 Registered Users Posts: 821
    (((HUGS))) You came to the right place! I understand how you feel, DON'T let them get you down, keep your head up! They must be jealous, like lemmings with straight hair, that look like everyone else! I like that I stand out in a crowd, be proud of your hair!! Enjoy your uniqueness!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I'd have fun with it and really make it big and messy and then put a few fake birds in it.... :angel8:

Nah, just ignore them the best you can! It's hard right now but no one will honestly care in a few years.

Speckla
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
    Speckla wrote:
    I'd have fun with it and really make it big and messy and then put a few fake birds in it.... :angel8:

Nah, just ignore them the best you can! It's hard right now but no one will honestly care in a few years.

Speckla

Now that'd really make them shut up! lol
  • siren1974siren1974 Registered Users Posts: 11
    It must be really hard and younger people can be so cruel. I personally don't understand this concept of everyone looking the same. I see young girls now walking down the street in groups, all clones of something they've seen in a magazine, all looking the same.

I can assure you as you get older, the fellas absolutely love the curls. I've been told so many times how it makes me look wild and untamed. I personally like to be an individual rather than one of many sheep in a field
  • Alely MarinaAlely Marina Registered Users Posts: 37
    Man, HS sucked for me!! In college there are about 5 of us with curly hair in our entire program. No one even bats an eye unless it's to shell out a compliment. We are more concerned with making the grades. How sad and what an awful time high school was for me and my curls as well. I was very depressed all through out Junior high and high school. Thank goodness I made it out of there with out too many emotional scars. Ok, sorry, not helping here. All I can say is I am so sorry for what you are going through. As hard as I try to forget, I know how awfully painful it is.

I hope one day you do grow to love your hair :) It took me a while, but I finally did.
    "Impeach Busch. Drink good beer."
  • meantimemeantime Registered Users Posts: 8
    Wow, I seriously can't believe someone said that to you. I'm sure you and your hair is beautiful.
  • MicheleKCMicheleKC Registered Users Posts: 8
    When I was in high school, everyone was getting perms to have curly hair or using hot rollers for curly hair. It just depends on what's in style. Teens try hard to look like everyone else. That's very mean of them to say that you need to straighten your hair.
  • CurlyVeeCurlyVee Registered Users Posts: 340 Curl Connoisseur
    Man DEJA VU - high school in Miami was rough w/ my hair but you know what, the girls hated it but the guys loved it (kept touching it)LOL - the girls I realized they were just jealous. I mean imagine I didnt have to burn myself with a curling iron and put a hole in the ozone layer to try to keep my curl hehehee Chin up sweety - this too shall pass. Just do you !!!
    Hyper Sensitive to many things !!!
    2017 Routine: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Cond as co-wash; 365 Fragrance Free Shampoo; Aloe Vera Juice , Water and Apricot Seed Oil as leave in. :blob3:When all else fails, I run back to KCKT and KCCC :thumright: Shampoo weekly - co-wash every 2/3/4 days - just depends :compress:
  • minkstoleminkstole Registered Users Posts: 4
    You need new friends!
    Seriously, find a crowd that accepts you like you are, and quit worrying for good. You certainly can´t please everyone, but it does heaps for the selfesteem to be surrounded by people with whom you don´t have to be on the alert all the time. I realize that this will not stop comments from others, but it will make them more bearable.
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    Oh my God, how terrible!

My heart goes out to you, but don't you dare change what makes you you to please everyone else! Don't allow them to give you self-complexes! I know it's easier said than done, especially when you are a teen, but believe me, they won't care about you any more if you straighten your hair. They will still find something to criticize about you. That's what shallow people do! They try to make themselves feel better about themselves by acting like they are better than you when they are NOT. Don't let those jerks get to you!

Be you, embrace who you are, feel confident about yourself! :) I'm sure you got some gorgeous, thick curls that are full of life. You're still young; you'll learn how to manage your curls so they work with you and not against you. There are many girls your age range on this board who are learning to manage their curls as well, so don't feel like you are alone. Hell, we are all here for that reason. We love our curls and refuse to let anyone break that bond we have with our hair :)

ETA: I think I lucked out because all the girls would wear their hair curly in HS and gel it up until it was super crunchy. Even girls who didn't have curly hair tried to scrunch the crap out of their hair so that it'll take a bit of a wave. My best friend even permed her long, thick straight brown hair!
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • JodenyseJodenyse Registered Users Posts: 138
    I might get in trouble for this but......
    Do you really like your curly hair or are you just wearing it that way to show the people at your school that you dont care what they think. If you want to have strait hair get a flat iron and have fun with it. Who knows, maybe after a week or so of strait hair you will relize that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Whats important is that YOU are happy.
    www.Freerice.com
    Play a game while feeding the hungry 20 grains at a time:nike:
    ``````````````````````````
    Can someone please tell me how to change my Username?!??
  • hunnybeemayhunnybeemay Registered Users Posts: 75
    They're jealous. You've got confidence and something unique they don't have and think you should try to be like the them so they don't have to compete with you standing out. Don't Straighten your hair. Keep it healthy and beautiful. They're all meanies so don't try and be or look like them, girly!
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    I'm so sorry those people acted that way and hurt your feelings. I was "different" when I was in school, so I know how it is. (My hair is still "different," but I love my curls and wear my hair curly all the time.)

The ONLY person who should care about what hairstyle you wear is YOU!! Please yourself -- whether you wear curls or a straight style is up to YOU.

P.S. You are young, so there's no way you could know this, but the older you get, the less you care about what people think and the more comfortable you are with yourself. Me? Well, I am ancient and very wise, and therefore I don't give a hoot what other people think! :toothy8:
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • RedheadCurly2007RedheadCurly2007 Registered Users Posts: 230
    Everyone here has either been through what you have (more likely) or can empathize with you. Sweety I am so sorry they did that to you. It is so important to be true to who you are. I was a teen when feathering was in, and let me tell you curly hair DOES NOT feather. I tried to no avail. A few times I had something that would resemble a red afro, but luckily kids were not TOO mean. They were mean, but like Curli said, she was so right.....

"they are jealous of you."
    I had several very mean girls in my highschool that would always call me curly shirly or red-headed woodpecker... it really hurt my feelings, but now guess what? Women are paying hundreds of dollars to get my color and I STILL HAVE IT. I went through a phase where I dyed it all colors of the rainbow, and even had it short like Susan Powter.... short and blond (what was I thinking?) But you hold your head high, condition that hair and make it shine. You are beatiful and be proud because secretly a lot of those girls would die to have your hair, trust me I know. I have always had beautiful hair it just took time to realize it

When I was a freshman one girl that rode my schoolbus was so jealous of me she spit in my hair and put gum in it. (It was because the boy I had a crush on liked me too, and she was JEALOUS) Secretly she wanted me to cut it like a boy. I went home and cried just like you and my Mom told me, "Honey she is jealous of you."

Just know this now young lady and it will spare you so much pain, don't listen to those *(&^%s you are your own person and be happy for it, you are the only you around. OK trooper, now go and make that curly hair look dazzling condition it, shine it put a barrette in it and soon the popular girls will want to look like you, trust me I know from experience.
    Get your eyebrows waxed too, that always makes you look and feel better.

Take carre ok.

Redheadcurly-Marie
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
    Irish-American Curly
    Never try to be something you are not, and never be afraid to be who you are.
    RedheadCurly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file