CurlTalk

Do you drive an American-made car?

SoLastSunday152SoLastSunday152 Posts: 428Registered Users
Just curious.. it's almost 2 AM and I have nothing better to think about. I personally drive a German car.

ETA: Are we limited to only 4 options or did I mess up?? I tried to make an option for people who just plain don't drive/don't plan on driving, but it didn't show up.
Lindsey
BKT'ed
becks.jpg
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• curly_princesscurly_princess Posts: 360Registered Users
    The Japanese know what they're doing. 8)
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
  • PeppyPeppy Posts: 3,290Registered Users
    Right now I drive a Chevy truck, hubby drives a Chevy Blazer, and we have a 1967 Chevy Camaro. Prior to the truck, my last two vehicles were both Ford Mustangs.

The only thing I've ever had besides a Chevy or Ford was a Mazda and a Jeep. I've enjoyed all of them!
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    You have to click "add additional option" so it appears as if you're going to be creating an extra blank option. Whatever the final option on the list is gets eliminated.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • EnafaeEnafae Posts: 24Registered Users
    I drive a Saturn VUE, my husband drives a Chevy van and my son drives a Neon.
    3a/b redheaded Irish gal!
    CG since October 10, 2002
    formerly arobxinstructr
  • MyradelleMyradelle Posts: 26Registered Users
    I replied yes cause my Honda was made in Ohio.
  • EnafaeEnafae Posts: 24Registered Users
    Myradelle wrote:
    I had a Geo Storm, a GM, that was made in Japan (that is what the sticker said) I was listening to talk radio the other day and there was a segment about there not being any true american made cars anymore becauseof all the outsourcing and supplies coming from across the ocean.
    3a/b redheaded Irish gal!
    CG since October 10, 2002
    formerly arobxinstructr
  • MyradelleMyradelle Posts: 26Registered Users
    IrishRose wrote:
    Myradelle wrote:
    I had a Geo Storm, a GM, that was made in Japan (that is what the sticker said) I was listening to talk radio the other day and there was a segment about there not being any true american made cars anymore becauseof all the outsourcing and supplies coming from across the ocean.

I agree. My last car was a Ford made in Mexico.
  • MzShvyMzShvy Posts: 121Registered Users
    I am very prejudice. I will ONLY drive GM vehicles. :lol:

I have a 1994 GMC Sierra step-side, and a 2004 Chevy Silverado. I owned a 2003 Grand Am GT, but soon found out I wasn't a car person, and sold it.

Hubby is a Ford man. :x But his Ford is always broke down, so he's usually driving my 94 GMC. :wink:
    MzShvy

"If we get a little crazy, blame it on the alcohol." Pat Green
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I drive a Chevy Cavalier. My next car will more than likely be foreign.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    I'm on my second Honda. Can't imagine having a car that runs better for longer with NO problems whatsoever. I'll probably never buy another make of car.

M
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• jax3catsjax3cats Posts: 34Registered Users
    I live in the metro Detroit area, used to wok for GM, and have a brother who still works for Ford. Can't beat employee discount prices and I want to make sure my DB still has a job in xxxx num,ber of years, so yup, I drive a car made by a U.S.-based corporation (I'm on my 3rd Ford Explorer). If the discount/supporting the company wasn't an issue, I don't know what I'd drive. After working in the indistry for 10 years I can truly say most companies are now at a pretty level playing field as far as quality is concerned, even though perception says otherwise. I think it would probably still come down to "bang for the buck".
    2 of my 3 boys
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    USED to think I was a 2 b/c wavy, until I started growing out my very short hair and discovered I'm actually a 3 a/b curlyhead!
  • MarMar Posts: 3,003Registered Users
    I live in Flint MI-most everyone(still) does :)
    Of course,we are a GM/UAW famliy,too :)

I have never owned anything but,neither has my family or my husband's family.

Currently, we own a 2003 Pontiac Montana
    2001 Chevy S-10
    1991 Chevy Lumina van(my son's car)
    1986 Pontiac Fiero(dad's toy-he's only the second owner-he used to make parts for the Fiero)

This is the first time we haven't owned a Buick
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I used to always say I would never own a foreign car....

I had a Dosge Dakota (Mitsubishi engine)
    2 Saturn SC-2's

Then I wanted a small SUV and nothing on the American market could compare to what Hyundai offered in the Tucson - 6 airbags, electronic stabilty control, MP3 player, the list goes on - all standard. The only upgrades I got were 4wd, V6, and the sunroof, and I still got all that for $20K. Plus there is that lovely little warranty.

I did see a commercial though where Hyundai is building some gigantic plant in the US, so that makes me feel better.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • HappycurlsHappycurls Posts: 188Registered Users
    I drive a Chevy Cobalt. Its 6 months old right now and so far so good. There was a problem with the A/C that I kept having to take it into the dealership for but they finally figured out what the problem was and issued a nationwide recall for that issue. It was kind of a pain but I figured there would be some little kinks to work out since this a brand new model.
  • DayzieDayzie Posts: 233Registered Users
    I drive a Saturn VUE

Me too
    "You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing."

"There is so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us, it hardly behooves any of us to talk about the rest of us."
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    gekko422 wrote:
    Then I wanted a small SUV and nothing on the American market could compare to what Hyundai offered in the Tucson - 6 airbags, electronic stabilty control, MP3 player, the list goes on - all standard. The only upgrades I got were 4wd, V6, and the sunroof, and I still got all that for $20K. Plus there is that lovely little warranty.

I'm still amused that when the Tucson was in the creation stages, there were no Hyundai dealers in Tucson!

(There are a couple now.)

Oh, and I forgot to answer-I have an American car. Most likely my next vehicle will be, because it'll be a big horse trailer pulling truck.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I drive a Volvo.
  • Night OwlNight Owl Posts: 26Registered Users
    I drive an Acura MDX made in Canada! My previous car was an Acura Legend made in Japan.
  • amerasiancurlsamerasiancurls Posts: 168Registered Users
    We have a Chevy 2500 ext. cab truck, a Saturn SC1 and a Nissan. We are mixed :). The next car will probably be a Nissan or a Honda though.
  • msrebamsreba Posts: 143Registered Users
    I was the lone (at this time anyway) of the dont have a car, plan on buying foreign. I will be getting the honda insight. and as far as i know its made somewhere else. But who knows when I will be getting it.. so by then the US manufacturers may have put out a cute hybrid.
  • cjccjc Posts: 636Registered Users
    I love toyotas :D
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • quickcurlquickcurl Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    My first car was a Mercury and I hated it...always broken down. After that, I swore I would never buy another Ford/Mercury car. I owned a Nissan Altima for seven years, and it was a good car up until the end when I had to start doing a lot of little repairs on it. Now I have a Honda Accord and I love it. I drive a lot of miles to work every day and if it wasn't for that car, I would be absolutely miserable!
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I drive a VW and hubby drives a Ford. I will never buy another VW as long as I live. My car has 37,000 miles on it and is still a POS. :x
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    mrsreba wrote:
    I was the lone (at this time anyway) of the dont have a car, plan on buying foreign. I will be getting the honda insight. and as far as i know its made somewhere else. But who knows when I will be getting it.. so by then the US manufacturers may have put out a cute hybrid.
    This is the car I want to buy too!

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    The Japanese know what they're doing. 8)

ITA!!!! I also like german cars...
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I'm on my 3rd VW. I think most VW's are made in the US, so I really dont think of it as a foreign car. I mean, are there any cars that are exclusively made in one country or another? I thougth it's all over the place these days.

My current VW is giving me tons of problems, and I think I'm finally ready to cut the umbilical cord.
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    A Saturn sedan and a Chevy pickup

I have no problem with any make except Dodge. I will never buy Dodge again.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    I have driven my fair share of Ford and GM vehicles, all of which over time proven to be crappy cars, two of which left me stranded multiple times (and they were newer!). They also do not hold their resale value at all.

After switching to Honda a few cars ago, I have never gone back to "American" cars (is there really such a thing anymore?). In my experience, Hondas have been more reliable and even when I had tons of miles on them, I still never had any mechanical issues at all. More than I can say about any Chevy or Ford I had.

My "Japanese" car was labeled as having its engine and transmission built in Japan, and was assembled and had everything else come from the US.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I drive a Nissan that was assembled in Tennessee. I don't know where all its parts were made, so I didn't vote.
    ________
    ShaggMy***** live
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    The last American car I had was an '85 Mercury Lynx. It was a POS. I traded it in for a Honda, got two more after that, and probably would have had Honda the rest of my life (or other Japanese car). When I met DH he worked for a German car dealership, and we both got good deals on cars. They're nice cars, but not sure I want the next won to be the same make- I need something a bit bigger and a bit more... useable (like a truck/SUV or something).
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.