wine: red or white?

goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
just wondering......which do you prefer and why? Any one specific favorite?
________
Paxil Help
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Red wine gives me a headache. Like one glass of red wine. So I avoid it.

I like pinot grigios and that German one that I can't think of right now.

Yeah, I'm a big wine drinker. I'd rather have a Bud Light or a margarita. :lol:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    All wine gives me a headache, but red wine is too dry for me. Shiraz is the worst. Way too heavy. My favs are Pinot Grigio, and Chardonney. I've recently discovered Reistling which is so yummy, but so sweet you can only drink 1 or 2 glasses.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    babywavy - if you like sweet, give Chateau Morrisette (sp) Red Mountain Laurel a try. It's a Virginia winery and a lovely red desert wine. Occassionally, I like it with shrimp that have a sweet/spicy flavor.
    ________
    Live sex
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    babywavy wrote:
    Reistling.

That's it! Thank you! :lol:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    Shiraz? Heavy? I consider that a light wine, much lighter than a Merlot and certainly substantially lighter than a Cabernet. I prefer red, but will drink white if it complements my meal. I don’t like wines heavy on the oak taste (many brands of Chardonnay and Cabernet are too oaky for me).

My favorite house wine (we always have it on hand and it is a decent price) is Rosemount Estates Cabernet/Merlot blend (Australian). I also just discovered Blue Marlin Shriaz (also Australia) as another inexpensive good one.

For wines higher in cost (just below $20 and up), I generally like Rodney Strong, Murphy Goode and Ferrari-Carano.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • ChakraChakra Posts: 172Registered Users
    BOTH! :D

Depends on the time of year and what I am having with it. Generally speaking I drink red in the winter and when it is cold out and then switch to light whites when it is warm out.

I love having a really a "big red" with beef but also a nice white with seafood. Yummy!!
  • guinnessguinness Posts: 351Registered Users
    red. lately we've been drinking a lot of syrahs and malbecs. to me, red is more flavorful and in general less sweet than most whites.
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    Red in the winter - cabs, cab blends, pinot noir, shiraz mostly. Merlots are a bit too sweet for me.

Champagne in the summer. It's perfect for summer foods - barbeques, salads, fish, chicken, etc. It goes with everything! My current fave is Chateau St. Michelle - just delightful... all honey and apple blossums, and very inexpensive!
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't like red wines because they're too dry & sour/bitter-ish tasting. I like white wines because they're sweet. I also like blush for the same reason.
  • curlymelcurlymel Posts: 359Registered Users
    Neither. Don't like wine.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • EnafaeEnafae Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can't drink red because I get an immediate headache.....even just smelling red wine can do that to me. I recently found a wonderful wine, Harmony. It is from a Michigan winery with a slightly sweet taste.
    3a/b redheaded Irish gal!
    CG since October 10, 2002
    formerly arobxinstructr
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    I love white, but I have red on a rare occasion. :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • FionaFiona Posts: 158Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Definitely red, and the drier the better!

I like Pinot Noir, Cab Sav and Shiraz.

I do like whites, but I much prefer a red.
    If you can't be a Good Example, then you'll just have to be a Horrible Warning
  • SalmagundiSalmagundi Posts: 35Registered Users
    I like both a good deal; it just depends on what I am eating with it.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
    -Douglas Adams
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have any of you tried any of the frost or frozen grape or fall or winter wines (I'm sorry, I forgot the name of the stuff!)? It's awesome!
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I loved Schmitt Sohne rieslings when I could drink alcohol. Now I can't....allergies or something, where even a small quantity of mild alcohol leaves me with a migraine for a week! :cry:
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ALL WINE.

I used to just drink white zin, but then I met hubby and he introduced me to reds, whites, ports, etc.

I NEVER drink white zin anymore. Friends don't let friends drink white zin.
    :rambo:
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    I love Rieslings and dry red but I enjoy all types of wine. In the summer, I love to visit the local vineyards to taste wine. However, I cannot drink more than a glass at one sitting. If I have more, I get *extremely* ill :( .
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif
    NetG wrote:
    I loved Schmitt Sohne rieslings when I could drink alcohol. Now I can't....allergies or something, where even a small quantity of mild alcohol leaves me with a migraine for a week! :cry:

Some people have a higher tolerance for alcohol than others; it mostly depends on how much your liver produces of the enzyme your body needs to break it down. Adults also tend to have varying tolerances for the sugar lactose for similar reasons except that enzyme is in your digestive tract. I'm sorry, it really sucks when you can't have something you really like.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is generally considered to have been a bad move."
    -Douglas Adams
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    wine gives me a headache, but ill drink red if its free.
    Salmagundi wrote:
    NetG wrote:

Some people have a higher tolerance for alcohol than others; it mostly depends on how much your liver produces of the enzyme your body needs to break it down. Adults also tend to have varying tolerances for the sugar lactose for similar reasons except that enzyme is in your digestive tract. I'm sorry, it really sucks when you can't have something you really like.

And if I got hangovers, this would apply.... :wink:

I get migraines. They last for a week. And they SUCK! (I hope the censor picked that up for me, I just couldn't not use a swear word in all caps.)

If it were only hangovers, that'd be ok.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

• gggg Posts: 1,865Registered Users
    I hate wine but I choose white because I can stand it more than red. Red really tears up my stomach but white doesn't.
    You don't have to blow out my flame to make yours burn brighter.

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
    NetG wrote:
    Salmagundi wrote:
    NetG wrote:

And if I got hangovers, this would apply.... :wink:

I get migraines. They last for a week. And they SUCK! (I hope the censor picked that up for me, I just couldn't not use a swear word in all caps.)

If it were only hangovers, that'd be ok.

Oh, migraines...that really sucks. I wonder how migraines are triggered by alcohol? Anyway, I definitely feel for you.
    -Douglas Adams
  • PortaePortae Posts: 337Registered Users
    I love white wines, especially a very good Riesling-yummm!!!! I detest red wines. A friend once told me it's an "acquired taste", which I translated as "nasty."
    ~Break the Chains of Your Mind and Your Body will Follow~

3b/3c/4a
    http://public.fotki.com/Portae99/
    http://photos.yahoo.com/Portae_99
    Salmagundi wrote:
    Oh, migraines...that really sucks. I wonder how migraines are triggered by alcohol? Anyway, I definitely feel for you.

Yup, especially since I was just developing a love for wines....

I don't know if it's an allergy thing or not, though I say it is, because my mom is definitely allergic to alcohol. I figure it doesn't matter in the end, regardless of what it is, I can't drink! (Well, I can, but it's not worth the consequences!)
    -Speckla

• three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    As I said to the boyfriend that asked, "Do you like red or white?" I replied, "Yes!" :D . I am pretty open minded on the subject, although anything "pink" seems to cause me much trouble in the morning.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    Have any of you tried any of the frost or frozen grape or fall or winter wines (I'm sorry, I forgot the name of the stuff!)? It's awesome!

Ice wine? I believe they harvest the grapes when they are frozen. I tried one at a tasting at Newport Vineyards in Rhode Island and I tried quite a few in the Niagara region of Ontario. I can't get into sweet dessert wines, they make my teeth hurt. Everyone else I know that has tried them loves them, I just hate drinking anything super sweet.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • meegsmeegs Posts: 354Registered Users
    M2LR wrote:
    Friends don't let friends drink white zin.
    Truer words were never spoken.

I like both, depending on mood, weather, food, etc.

I am a bit pickier with my whites. I don't care for chardonnay. Pinot grigio, I'll drink all day long.

I like most reds so long as they're tasty.

But the best is champagne. Mmmm....
    2b-ish--embracing my waves this summer
    Aussie Catch the Wave condish, L'Oreal NutriGloss condish; Nexxus Designing Texxtur Cream, Rusk Radical Creme, Pantene Curl Defining Mousse, Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam; coconut oil for DTs
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I prefer reds, but also like white. It really depends on what I'm eating it with. My favorite type of wine is shiraz. Yellowtail and Black Swan make a good shiraz. Also, love the Rosemount Estates Cab/Merlot blend, recommended to me by Mazey a while back. For whites, the last one I had was Black Swan Chardonnay/Semillion blend. It was good! Agree with the sentiment to steer clear of white zinfandel and all pink wine. :)

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I like both, but red gives me a headache so I only indulge rarely. My favorite reds are Shiraz, Pinot Noir, Beujolais Nouveau and Chateuneuf Du Pape is my absolute favorite. I am not a big fan of straight Cabernet, but don't mind it in blends.

In whites, I like just about anything except the really full-bodies oakey Chardonnays. My favorites are the dryer Rieslings.

And nothing beats a good chilled Rosé on a hot day (no, not White Zin, real Rosé).

I used to drink White Zin in college and thought I was so sophisticated.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file