CurlTalk

How do you like your gel?

This is a spin-off of a discussion started (guano-style) on the Carlos Method thread... As I've posted in that thread and others, I am a strong supporter of the WATERED DOWN METHOD to prevent crunch since I use gel routinely, for hold, curl formation and sometimes shine.

What do all of you think :?: Also, please share your gel application pointers and tips too! :D

PS. If it matters, I recently changed my name from Eyestrain to curltopia...
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• curly_princesscurly_princess Posts: 360Registered Users
    I chose "I apply gel straight to hair" but I think I do a couple of those options.

I get best results when I apply my gel almost straight out of the shower. I finger comb in a little gel on my top layer, trying only to finger comb once or twice over each part, otherwise I get stringy hair. Then I flip my head upside down and scrunch in the rest of the gel. I don't add any water to my gel.

I've been liking Suave Firm Control gel which doesn't give me much crunch but has a lot of hold, so I don't really have to worry about the crunchies, but if I have any, I either just leave them or GENTLY scunch them out. I have to be careful or I create more frizz.
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
  • CurliTressesCurliTresses Posts: 119Registered Users
    Curltopia, although I don't always use gel I selected watered down gel.

I put gel in hand first then squirt water (I use distilled or purified) with sprayer until its watered down enuf, then apply to hair. I've been doing this lately when I use gel and really like this method. I don't know if it helps any with less scrunch, but watered down definitely helps the gel distribute better thru hair. :)
    HairType: multi-texture 3a/b/c
  • skywatcherskywatcher Posts: 429Registered Users
    I voted that gel is great & I scrunch, both when I apply & gently once it is dry to get rid of crunchies.

I apply my gel to wet hair over a bit of leave-in co, usually Elucence.

The funny thing is that I NEVER used gel until I found nc.com. I always used mousse & hairspray :shock: I was 'tupid & didn't know the damage that I was doing to my hair :cry:
    3a/2c
    Long layers, past BSL
    Loving: CON poo, Elucence MBC, Jessicurl WDT, B&A Gel.
    SLS free poos since Feb 6/05
    skywatcher wrote:
    The funny thing is that I NEVER used gel until I found nc.com. I always used mousse & hairspray :shock: I was 'tupid & didn't know the damage that I was doing to my hair :cry:

Same with me! I didn't like gel but it was probably because I was trying bad gels that are full of cones, like Pantene. Yuck.
    PW- frenchfries

• love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    AWESOME replies ladies!!! And thanks for voting and posting too :D Also, I am learning new tricks! like Curlitresses's spray bottle idea.

CP - Since you apply gel to very wet hair, I will claim you :wink:

Skywatcher - I've been known to scrunch too! (usually when I don't use water with gel). Scrunching does give great hold and curl formation... But I still prefer my own method :P
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

Curltopia wrote:

Whew! :lol:
    PW- frenchfries

• HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Posts: 363Registered Users
    I apply my gel straight-up, without watering it down, on my hair after I've scrunched out the excess water with a microfiber towel.

Like Skywatcher, I was a mousse and hair spray girl until I found this site!!
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 208Registered Users
    Poopsie wrote:
    I apply my gel straight-up, without watering it down, on my hair after I've scrunched out the excess water with a microfiber towel.

Like Skywatcher, I was a mousse and hair spray girl until I found this site!!

Same here to both of these replies!
    I may try the watered down method with B&A as I have to be so careful only to use a very small amount or it is too crunchy, I really just coat my hands with a small puddle then rake in. Ive tried the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gelebration-Spray-p-101.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gelebration-spray]Gelebration[/buylink] but that doesn't have enough hold.
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,240Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I apply gel full strength to very wet hair, then again when it's still damp, then I scrunch. I do everything (wash, add product, plop, scrunch) with my hair flipped over my head upside down.
    Many years ago, before NC.com, I tried gel a couple times and absolutely hated it because I didn't know enough to use it on wet hair. Now I use it every single day. Love the stuff.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • blanclilablanclila Posts: 107Registered Users
    When I use gel, I scrunch a bunch into towel-blotted wet hair, or just a little in misted-damp hair. Applying it to dry hair causes a hair-wreck for me. :lol:
    (Coarse/wavy)
    wavy / coarse / thick
    I apply gel full strength to very wet hair, then again when it's still damp, then I scrunch. I do everything (wash, add product, plop, scrunch) with my hair flipped over my head upside down.
    Many years ago, before NC.com, I tried gel a couple times and absolutely hated it because I didn't know enough to use it on wet hair. Now I use it every single day. Love the stuff.

See, to me, this counts as CP's take on the watered down method :wink:

But it's all good!

Curltopia wrote:

Whew! :lol:

:lol: 8) :P