Melasma, i.e. charming brown splotches

CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
I have hyper-pigmentation (ie, brown splotches) around my jawline from using the Pill in my 20's, and my skin is too sensitive for the usual hydroquinone or kojic acid solutions. Anyone else have this, & what have you tried and liked? Besides sunblock of course, of which I am a huge devotee.

I'm seeing some gentle fading with L'Occitane Very Precious Cream. It uses mulberry extract & Vit C. (The regular Precious cream doesn't contain the spot-fading ingred's). Overally, I'm liking the results. Gentler & slower, but the L'O cream is actually comforting. No stinging or irritation.

Next I'm going to compare it to the Shiseido White Lucent Brightening cream, which uses Vit C & licorice. It's gotten great reviews.
3B, bra-strap length
laidback, very-modified CGer
HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I tried many things before I resorted to hydroquinone...kojic acid, arbutin, vitamin c, Retin-A, wildberry extract, white daisy extract, OTC strength 2% hydroquinone...all of them worked a tiny bit, but I didn't get rid of all the melasma til I started using Rx strength 4% hydroquinone.
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
    Hmmm. How large were your splotches and did you have much stinging/burning from it?
    3B, bra-strap length
  • snaphunksnaphunk Posts: 82Registered Users
    I just started using Tri-luma (per RedCatWave's suggestion) about four weeks ago and my brown spots are pretty much gone. My Doc.. said to use it for six weeks then come back. I think I will talk to her about Renova instead of Retin A then. Although I liked the results with Retin A my face is very sensitive and the Retin A is very drying. I have to say that my face loves the Tri-luma. I only have one tiny area left above my eye and I'm pretty confident it will be gone before I go back, as it has faded quite a bit.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also used Tri-luma and my facial melasma faded in 4-5 weeks.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Hmmm. How large were your splotches and did you have much stinging/burning from it?

Both cheeks had the melasma, worse at the jawline. It cleared completely in a few weeks of using Tri-Luma (combination of .05% Retin-A, 4% hydroquinone, and a steroid) daily, although I have to continue using Tri-Luma once or twice a week or it comes right back. I get no stinging at all from it, but I use Retin-A on a daily basis anyway, so I'm pretty accustomed to it.
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Posts: 558Registered Users
    Promising. Is Tri-Luma Rx or non? I find that my mineral make-up covers & blends the splotches well, but it would be nice to just not have them.
    3B, bra-strap length
    Promising. Is Tri-Luma Rx or non? I find that my mineral make-up covers & blends the splotches well, but it would be nice to just not have them.

It's Rx. Anything over 2% hydroquinone is Rx.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It is Rx but there's a mexican website where it's available without. Sorry can't remember.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Medsmex.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file