Weight Loss Pact

Comments

• CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I like that you're not going to worry too much about numbers, just focus on the fit.

Scales are crazy. I have 2 of them that show anywhere from 4-8lbs difference. If it was a constant difference then I would call it a simple case of calibration, but it's not! I rely mainly on the mirror and the fit of my clothes... and take an average from my 2 scales :lol:
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    dia99 wrote:
    I'm not really concerned about the weight because I know if I keep doing it the weight will come off eventually and I'll be fit and healthy in the process!

get your head on straight and the bored will follow. :D
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    dia99 wrote:
    I'm not really concerned about the weight because I know if I keep doing it the weight will come off eventually and I'll be fit and healthy in the process!

get your head on straight and the bored will follow. :D

My head is coming loose as I type :cry:

I wrote on non-hair before about my brother with mental illness who is living on the streets now - that's a HUGE stress on me.

Now, my other brother who is 20 and who foolishly joined the reserves to pay for college just about a year ago is now being sent to Iraq (6 months training, 12 month combat, I guess). I don't know all the military terms, but I do know that he will actually be working with guns and protecting majors and seargents. I wish he was a cook or something. :cry:

So, now I have this added stress. He leaves Sept. 1. I have always been against this president and this war, and I am just steaming right now. That will be two cousins, one family friend, and now my own brother being sent to this stupid war - what are the odds??? My husband actually had a nightmare last night (we just found out yesterday). My brother says he's lucky because they only had to give him 2 days notice. But, he will be there for my sister's wedding in two weeks, so I will get to see him before he leaves.

Anyway, I am stressed today, so I hope water aerobics, weights and walking can help free my mind (and the rest will follow :lol: ). I am still eating well, even though normally I'd have a chocolate bar right now! I made banana-raisin muffins this weekend. That was my breakfast, then grapes for snack, and I'll have broiled salmon and stir-fried veggies for lunch. It's leftover from what I cooked for dinner last night.

Say a prayer for me that I will stay focused on my goals AND think about/remember/pray for my family. I don't want to get sidetracked!

Lydia
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
    double post
    {{{Lydia}}}

I'm so sorry to hear about all the family stresses. I'll keep your brother in my thoughts. I was reading an article recently about talk of beginning to bring back US soldiers starting next year. There is an end in sight.

Exercise is the #1 method for dealing with stress so please stay focused, and use it to your advantage.

Take care!

C
    im sorry.

you know we are rooting for you.
  • SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
    dia99 wrote:
    Say a prayer for me that I will stay focused on my goals AND think about/remember/pray for my family.

Lydia,

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry to hear about your brothers; your little brother going to Iraq sux a$$. :( I will pray that he returns home safely - along with all of the others over there right now. God's hand is greater than our worry and fear.

Oh, and to keep this on the up-and-up... I'm going to be fitness-y and BIKE home from work now! :wink::lol:
    Thanks Cherish, Z, and Sisa for the thoughts and prayers!

Sisa, what are you doing over here?? I'm happy to see ya! I miss non-hair some, but I think I'm getting over it, actually. Maybe this is what happened when I didn't post for a couple years. I don't know, but the longer I'm away the more okay I am with it. We'll see how quickly I'll be sucked back in. :roll: :lol:

I'm afraid of bikes that aren't stationary, so I haven't ridden a bike since I was a kid, except for once in downtown DC and I thought I was going to have a heart attack from worrying. I'll stick to walking, I think. :oops:

Are you trying to lose weight, or is that just a part of your healthy routine?
    That is cute! :lol:

I'm not afraid of riding the bike; I'm actually quite good. I'm afraid of riding the bike on city streets where someone could sideswipe me (or just hit me head on!). If I lived in the country somewhere I might ride a bike again, though.
    :lol::lol: I love that bike!
    dia99 wrote:
    Sisa, what are you doing over here?? I'm happy to see ya! I miss non-hair some, but I think I'm getting over it, actually. Maybe this is what happened when I didn't post for a couple years. I don't know, but the longer I'm away the more okay I am with it. We'll see how quickly I'll be sucked back in. :roll: :lol:

I'm afraid of bikes that aren't stationary, so I haven't ridden a bike since I was a kid, except for once in downtown DC and I thought I was going to have a heart attack from worrying. I'll stick to walking, I think. :oops:

Are you trying to lose weight, or is that just a part of your healthy routine?

I came over because I was tipped off by Cherish and Z! What can I say? I was missing your presence on the board! :twisted:

I go back and forth with my non-hair board obsession. A lot of the time, I average less than one post per day. In fact, my total posts do not reflect what they could be for someone who's been on here for almost six years.

As for the biking... I would certainly LOVE to lose weight, but I'm trying not to focus on it too much. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), and it's really, really messing with my body as of late. The syndrome has horrible physical manifestations, one if which is weight gain / difficulty losing weight.

The biking is simply a "healthy routine" type thing. It costs nothing (gas is crazy here!), and gets my heart pumping a bit twice per day. I don't have a long ride (less than 10 minutes), but it helps to breathe some fresh air before and after work.

And, to keep this post on the up-and-up... I read that you're going to start with weights - sounds good! I've been more faithful to my weight routine lately, and I'm seeing better definition, which rocks! 8) I do it all with free weights, in the comfort of my own home.

So glad I "found you" again! :D
    zmanzzzz wrote:

Cute! :lol:
    Sisa wrote:
    zmanzzzz wrote:

Cute! :lol:

i could see dia riding that around with a smile. :D
    dia99 wrote:
    That is cute! :lol:

I'm not afraid of riding the bike; I'm actually quite good. I'm afraid of riding the bike on city streets where someone could sideswipe me (or just hit me head on!). If I lived in the country somewhere I might ride a bike again, though.

there may be a bike trails system where you live. i wonder how you would find out.
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    there may be a bike trails system where you live. i wonder how you would find out.

Parks and Recreation Department?

Bike shop?
    I know there are some bike trails here, one is near the beach. But, I would have to put my bike in the car, drive to the bike trail, then ride. I'd rather just walk to the trail and walk around it, too, or swim at the beach once I get there. DaNa rides his bike to work everyday; it's about 1.5 - 2 miles each way with a huge hill. He hates it. :lol:

Okay, my exercise since

Sunday
    I don't remember how much I walked am - I hope I already posted it
    5 lb weights (8 different arm exercises, 3 sets of 10 each) and 100 crunches

Monday
    nothing am
    1 hour water aerobics pm

Tuesday
    3 miles am
    4.5 miles pm

Wednesday
    2.5 miles am
    1 hour water aerobics pm

Thursday
    2.5 miles am
    4.5 miles pm

Friday
    3 miles am
    2 miles pm

I'll be at a seminar all day tomorrow, so I won't be able to update then, so I'm writing tonight. This has been a good week foodwise and with exercise. I have been extra tired (I am starting my cycle anyway :roll: ) and my sinuses/allergies have really been bothering me so I've had to take medicine that makes me drowsy. So, I'm proud of myself for exercising through it!!!!! I can't believe this is the FOURTH week! My Goal Two pants are fitting much better, but I still want them to be looser before I wear them out, so I am extending those for my next two-week goal. I have a different pair that I want to be able to wear by September 9 (school picture day and they take faculty pictures (individual and group) so I need to be cute :wink: ).
    That looks like a great week. I'm glad you've started weights, now we can get a weights program going - you worked just arms all week!

I have to get to work but will be back...
    Lydia,

Take a look at the arm exercises on demo-ed on this site, and tell me which ones you've been doing. I'll take it from there:

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/exercises.htm

C
    ez curls
    triceps kickback
    arnolds - or something like it except my arms start parallel with my shoulders and hands go straight up in the air
    front raises
    lateral raises
    shrugs
    doorknobs - hands straight out and turning arms from the shoulder back and forth (added yesterday)
    upright rows (added yesterday)

There is another exercise that I do, where my elbows bend 90 degrees, I guess, and my hands come together above my head and then I go from 90 degrees to almost straight above my head. I feel it in the back of my arms (triceps??)

Then another one where my arms start out parallel with my shoulder and my hands straight up in the air, then I move the hands together (inward) above my head

I got these exercises from a military exercise class. The two new exercises were just added to his rotation this week (I have not been attending the class, but a friend goes and shows me what to do). Of course, the people there are doing these while working aerobically on a step thingey. Overachievers :roll: :lol:

I hadn't been working my legs anymore because they are too tired after walking twice a day, and I do some leg work in the water aerobics class - calf raises, lunges, and squats. I also do lunges while walking home from the track on the hills, but don't really consider it a part of my exercise, just a good stretch! If you can give me something to do that won't leave me unable to walk the next morning, I'll go for it!! I was doing this thing a couple months ago where I would lie down on the floor and then plant my feet on the floor and lift my abdomen up to reach my knees. I was doing 100 of those a day, and I felt it in the front and back of my thighs (and a little in my butt). As you can see, I don't know what most stuff is called, and I don't have a strategic reason for doing anything, I just do what I've been shown.

So, show me something good and I'll do it! :D
    Hey, I caved in and weighed myself this morning. I wasn't supposed to weigh until September 1, but DaNa didn't put the scale away (blame, blame) so it was right in front of my face :oops:

I am happy to report that I have lost 8 pounds in these four weeks, which is at the suggested 1-2 pound rate. I would love to see my body and the scales look great really soon, but I am so excited about doing this for me this time!

I went to Bible study Friday night, and we were talking about our experiences growing up and how they affect us as adults. I figured out that I was always the overweight but cute, intelligent and funny sister, while my sister was the cute body, cute face, ditzy sister. She has gotten less ditzy :D , but I haven't gotten less fat!

I also realized that my need to always have a weight loss partner is so that I wouldn't feel so bad about losing weight for myself. It's almost like I feel guilty if I lose weight and my friends are still overweight. I've only wanted to succeed in this area if someone could achieve with me. I see this same thing manifest itself on the job, too. I will do some great things that get recognition, and if I work with a friend I always have to give them all the details and copies so that they can do it or I feel guilty. I don't want to stop being a generous person, but I just figured out that I can't control if other people are ready to excel. I have to do it for myself and be willing to help them if they want the help. I can't feel guilty if someone else isn't at the point where they're ready - I'm 28 and just getting ready!

So, I am so excited because I feel like this time off from the board to concentrate on my life, combined with my small group and a commitment to exercise and good eating habits, has given me a new outlook that is personal without being selfish. That's the balance I didn't know how to strike, or even know I needed really, before. I'm sure I'll continue to have life stresses and challenges, so I hope you guys will stick around to encourage me if I falter. I feel like I've made a life decision, though, so I pray I'm right!!!!!

Lydia
    Lydia,

Sorry I took so long with this... busy!

Here's your current routine and the body parts you're mainly targeting:

Arms:
    EZ Curls
    Tricep Kickbacks
    Skullcrushers (triceps)

Shoulders:
    Shoulder Press
    Front Raises
    Lateral Raises
    Shrugs
    Upright Rows
    Doorknobs

These are really good, but you're putting too much emphasis on shoulder exercises.

Here's what I would do instead, that would still leave you able to walk the next day:

Arms:
    EZ Curls
    Tricep Kickbacks OR Skullcrushers (triceps)

Shoulders:
    Shoulder Press OR Arnolds
    Front Raises OR Lateral Raises
    Shrugs OR Upright Rows

Legs (w/ Shoulders):
    Modify what you call doorknobs into a half (almost sitting) squat. Start with your arms apart and your legs about shoulder-width apart. As you bring your arms in to meet in front, go into a (half) squat.

Back:
    Bent over rows
    One arm dumbbell rows

Chest:
    Dumbbell Bench press
    Dumbbell flyes

I would work Back, Chest, and Legs, before Shoulders and Arms. So keep that in mind when you split things up.

Try it out for a week or 2 and let me know how you like it :D
    dia99 wrote:
    Hey, I caved in and weighed myself this morning. I wasn't supposed to weigh until September 1, but DaNa didn't put the scale away (blame, blame) so it was right in front of my face :oops:

I am happy to report that I have lost 8 pounds in these four weeks, which is at the suggested 1-2 pound rate. I would love to see my body and the scales look great really soon, but I am so excited about doing this for me this time!

Congrats! :D I just want you to know that reading your journal has inspired me to somewhat stick to my schedule, and get back into my sports. Thanks for sharing... you just never know who you're inspiring :D
    I went to Bible study Friday night, and we were talking about our experiences growing up and how they affect us as adults. I figured out that I was always the overweight but cute, intelligent and funny sister, while my sister was the cute body, cute face, ditzy sister. She has gotten less ditzy :D , but I haven't gotten less fat!

I also realized that my need to always have a weight loss partner is so that I wouldn't feel so bad about losing weight for myself. It's almost like I feel guilty if I lose weight and my friends are still overweight. I've only wanted to succeed in this area if someone could achieve with me. I see this same thing manifest itself on the job, too. I will do some great things that get recognition, and if I work with a friend I always have to give them all the details and copies so that they can do it or I feel guilty. I don't want to stop being a generous person, but I just figured out that I can't control if other people are ready to excel. I have to do it for myself and be willing to help them if they want the help. I can't feel guilty if someone else isn't at the point where they're ready - I'm 28 and just getting ready!

So, I am so excited because I feel like this time off from the board to concentrate on my life, combined with my small group and a commitment to exercise and good eating habits, has given me a new outlook that is personal without being selfish. That's the balance I didn't know how to strike, or even know I needed really, before. I'm sure I'll continue to have life stresses and challenges, so I hope you guys will stick around to encourage me if I falter. I feel like I've made a life decision, though, so I pray I'm right!!!!!

Lydia

Well, I'm older than you and I'm still figuring a lot of things out.

I used to have that need to "take people with me" as well. I think not so much for motivation, but to feel less... different or obsessed or an overachiever. I finally got over it when I became increasingly surrounded by people more like me, and I realized everything's relative. By some standards I'm arguably lazy, my diet sucks, and I do nothing all day at work :lol:

Now, I'm more comfortable just doing my thing. I focus mainly on my own goals, and strategies, understanding that while these are probably unique to me, I can still interact with others and learn something from them, and vice versa.
    I think we were thinking alike. :lol: I guess age is good so we can get wiser!

I will try your routine starting this week. My weights days will be Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, so I'll let you know how I do. I don't know how I'll get to do weights this weekend, though, because I'll be in Mobile for my sister's wedding. Maybe I'll have to add Monday next week to make up for it.

Lydia
    weight and the gym are fine but the real result occur when you get your heartrate up for extended periods of time. participate in sports you enjoy is the best way to achive this.
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    weight and the gym are fine but the real result occur when you get your heartrate up for extended periods of time. participate in sports you enjoy is the best way to achive this.

I'm going to try to do both. The "sport" I like the best is power walking. :lol:

I walk pretty darn fast, so fast that I lap some slow joggers sometimes. I do get to keep my heart elevated for most of the duration of the walk, as I only walk at medium pace to warm-up and medium pace to cool down, then I walk home slow-moderate pace.

If, for instance I did a one-hour walk, 45 minutes of that would be very fast walking with my heartrate elevated.

Water aerobics, 1 hour - about 30 minutes elevated heartrate, 10 minutes warm-up/cool-down, and 20 minutes toning exercises.

I still want to keep incorporating the weights because building muscle will help me to burn more fat throughout the day. I don't want this to be an either/or thing.

I never played any sports growing up, Z, so I don't have a favorite (or even a moderate). So, I am going to have to stick with this for awhile and maybe I'll find something else once I get in better shape and get really used to doing this.
    zmanzzzz wrote:

Z, what is it that you do at your gym that fails to get your heartrate up?
    i dont go to a gym and have only lifted weights a few times, it seams so pointless. i exercise by getting engrossed in some competitive athletic endeavor where i am not even aware that i am working out. im just having fun.
    dia99 wrote:
    I never played any sports growing up, Z, so I don't have a favorite (or even a moderate). So, I am going to have to stick with this for awhile and maybe I'll find something else once I get in better shape and get really used to doing this.

softball and volleyball are pretty user friendly. lol i think they have speed walking contests too.
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    i dont go to a gym and have only lifted weights a few times, it seams so pointless. i exercise by getting engrossed in some competitive athletic endeavor where i am not even aware that i am working out. im just having fun.

You sound like most people I know (I do both, workout and sports). What about when it rains or snows in Montana?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file