Weight Loss Pact

Comments

• CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    dia99 wrote:
    2 boiled eggs
    3 eggo waffles (2 T syrup melted w/ 1/2 T butter)
    10 cherries
    spinach-artichoke dip (leftovers from what I made) w/ 20 Tostistos Rounds (14 is a serving)
    raw carrots and brocolli (about a cup total)
    hot dog w/ bun
    1 c macaroni cheese (box disgusting kind)
    1 cup cubed watermelon
    serving size slice of baked apple pie

I'm assuming this is breakfast and lunch?

I think the mac and cheese has to go. I'm not sure about the eggo waffles. It looks like you're relying on a lot of processed foods, with some fruit and veggies thrown in here and there.
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    This is breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's all the food I ate yesterday.

On a normal work day, I eat oatmeal for breakfast. On a normal summer day, I eat fresh fruit or cereal (whole wheat cereal). Yesterday, I ate waffles (they are definitely processed and I don't think have any nutritional value).

The spinach dip was left over from the dinner party I had Friday. I'm trying to get rid of all the leftovers in my frig without throwing them away.

The hot dog, macaroni, watermelon, and apple pie is what was served at VBS.

I buy hot dogs maybe once a year for a cook-out. I don't ever buy boxed macaroni and cheese, and I only make the from scratch version three-four times per year.

Normally, the type of food I eat is really good because I cook from scratch, it is the amounts of food I eat.

Today at VBS is chili (canned, w/ hot dogs added :? ) and rice, veggies and fruit. They are trying to feed lots of people on a small budget, so the quality of food is not going to be as good.

This week is a bad week to get a gauge of what I eat because it's not a "normal" week. Next week when things are back to normal, I'll post what I eat.
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    I came across this gem on the Internet and added some spices (it was bland) to make it taste good:

Mock Mashed Potatoes:

INGREDIENTS:
    • 1 cup cauliflower, finely chopped
    • 1/2 teaspoons sour cream, or more to taste
    • 1/2 teaspoons butter
    • salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Steam or microwave cauliflower until very soft.
    2. Put cauliflower in blender or food processor with butter and sour cream, blend.
    3. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

Nutrition Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 1

Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 91
    Total Fat: 7.5g
    Cholesterol: 19mg
    Sodium: 92mg
    Total Carbs: 5.5g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.5g
    Protein: 2.3g

Multiple the ingredients by how many people you will serve. I also added some habanero pepper flakes and cumin to give it more of a potato taste. I omitted the sour cream (did not have any) and reduced the butter. I also cooked purple cauliflower. That added some color to the meal and made it funky and fun. If you make it for Dia she may think it is cool. Kids like colors.

I LOVE potatoes but did not miss my buttery friend during last night meal. My friends loved it too. It was a hit. It was cheap too. Perhaps suggest to your VBS to cook that instead of the mac and cheese. Good and healthy food does not have to be expensive.

Instead of hot dogs could they serve tuna, low fat deviled eggs, veggie chili, etc? I know cans of tuna and eggs are not expensive and are definitely better for you than hot dogs. Tell your VBS group that they should treat their bodies like temples too.

And if your VBS cannot afford to make changes can you pack your own lunch.....tell them you and your family are trying to make healthier choices. Just a thought.....

Or you could not say anything as it is none of their business. I do not like telling people what I am or not eating. They either tip toe around you and tell you that you cannot eat something or make fun of you (that is my family...."quit acting like those American girls and have some more" or my favorite, "what do you mean that you do not eat beef"? :roll:). I try to act as normal as possible....

And if you have to eat the VBS food (and it is just one week right) then could you reduce the amount? One cup of processed mac and cheese seems like two perhaps three servings. I know that before I started paying attention to my portions I did not realize that what I thought was one serving was actually two or three. Same goes for the waffles....three seems like a lot. I would cut it down to two (or whatever the box says...probably one).

Keep a handful of nuts and fruit on you in case you get hungry (and you probably will if you are cutting back to normal portions) before you are able to eat again. The snack will help your body adjust to the changes and prevent you from overeating the next time you have your meal.

Not a sermon.....just a thought (I heard a LDS commercial this morning and could not resist writing that LOL).

Let me know if you try the mock mashed potatoes.
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif
    Thanks, Cehua!

I did consider bringing food or eating ahead, but decided it was not worth the potential culture issues.

I am at a majority Japanese/Hawaaian church, and food is a very important part of the culture. It is considered very rude not to eat the food, and I don't want to offend them at all - especially when the food isn't killing me, it's just not my preference. They get immense joy from seeing us (mainlanders) sit down and enjoy their food, and it is a way to bridge gaps.

Yes, portions is my problem with every meal, regardless of the quality of the food. I have great success when I do SlimFast or Lean Cuisine type diets because I can't mess up the portions. I just don't stick to them for more than 3-4 weeks.

My major issue is self-control (which manifests with portion control) - that's the issue with the exercise and the diet. It's something I'm working on in lots of areas, including these two.

Yesterday's food intake -

cherries (20 throughout the day)
    2 inch square of peach cobbler with ice cream (last serving left from Friday)
    fish soup with seaweed
    chili and rice w/ cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
    celery and corn (about 1 cup)
    watermelon and fresh pineapple (about 1 cup)

That's it for the day. I walked, but I didn't drink but maybe 2 cups of water yesterday.
    Yesterday was :oops:

2 airheads (60 calories each, no nutritional value)
    Snickers bar
    1 chicken wingette
    Farley's fruit snack
    spaghetti with meatballs (about 1 c pasta, 1 c sauce)
    fresh spinach salad (2 cups) w/ 2 T Italian dressing
    watermelon (1 cup cubed)
    2 homemade chocolate chip cookies

I was working all day so I didn't sit down and eat until VBS. I didn't even drink one full cup of water. Horrible day!

I am going to take a one month fast from the site beginning Monday. I'm starting back at school and I need to refocus with my new students. I'll have to see if I can come here (to the fitness board) without going to the non-hair board. If I can't, I'll just post my food on justwalk.com - I have a membership there. So, I should still be coming and posting food and exercise the beginning of next week, depending on how I do.

Lydia
    Well, I don't think it looks too bad, especially given that this is supposed to be your off week...

I joined the justwalk, looks nice. I will check it out this weekend and see if I'll do the full membership. I think I'm getting a bit lazy about doing cardio because I walk for 30 mins every lunchtime. Maybe I need a board fast, too :?
    Cherish wrote:
    Well, I don't think it looks too bad, especially given that this is supposed to be your off week...

I joined the justwalk, looks nice. I will check it out this weekend and see if I'll do the full membership. I think I'm getting a bit lazy about doing cardio because I walk for 30 mins every lunchtime. Maybe I need a board fast, too :?

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous from my end. I've gone from 700+ to over 2,000 posts in a few months - that is WAY too much time spent sitting in front of a computer. And it is like an addiction, so I've got to quit cold turkey. :lol:
    dia99 wrote:
    Cherish wrote:

Yeah, this is getting ridiculous from my end. I've gone from 700+ to over 2,000 posts in a few months - that is WAY too much time spent sitting in front of a computer. And it is like an addiction, so I've got to quit cold turkey. :lol:

I moved not long ago, and I STILL have not even finished unpacking - I think once I get past this one, I'll be fine. I caught up a little bit last weekend, but not nearly enough. Now that lack of motivation has been spilling over more and more into my workouts so I'm not as motivated as I would normally be.

And yes, some of those threads can really suck a person in. I need to remember I'm a producer, not a cast member :lol:
    Okay! This has been a very productive week!

I started back at work on Monday and my classroom looks GREAT, if I and all my colleagues do say so :wink: I guess staying away from the boards is good for something after all!

This week, I decided to eat fruits, vegetables, and meat throughout the day (eating every two hours until no later than 6 pm) and only eat a starch (bread, rice, potato, etc) other than my oatmeal during one meal. I am not counting fruits and vegetables as starch - I only mean processed starches and potatoes, and I'm not doing both (if I have a potato, no bread).

I ate oatmeal for breakfast every morning (the heart healthy serving) with honey and raisins and 1/2 T butter.

My exercise this week:

Monday
    3 mile walk AM
    1 hour water aerobics class PM

Tuesday
    3 mile walk AM
    4 mile walk PM

Wednesday
    2 mile walk AM
    1 hour water aerobic class PM

Thursday

2 mile walk AM
    indoor aerobics (30 minutes jog/weights) PM - it was raining

Friday
    indoor aerobics (30 minutes jog/stretch) AM - it was raining
    3 mile walk PM

All of my walks are with a 12-15 minute mile, depending on if someone walked with me and kept me talking or if I could really concentrate by myself :D

I am really happy that I consistently exercised 2x per day all this week, which is what I think I need to do for this month I'm off the boards in order to get into a routine. I didn't plan anything with another person, so I just happened to meet people I knew at the track/pool a couple times. This is the first time I've really started an exercise plan without a partner, so I am having to be self-motivated.

I'll post again next Friday - I do plan to exercise on tomorrow as well. Morning walk and afternoon softball game. I plan to use my free weights at work next week during my break - I have a 2 pound and 5 pound set that I use to do eight different arm exercises, then I do leg lifts and crunches. I plan to do these Tuesday, Thursday and Friday of next week since I have the water aerobics with lots of arm work on M/W. I'm writing this part as an incentive for me to be able to come back next Friday and say I stuck to my plan. 8)

Oh, I did weigh myself and I've lost 4 pounds from Sunday's weigh-in to Friday's weigh-in. I am not using weight as a goal this time, though (other than for my September weigh-in). I am using a pair of pants I want to be in by next Friday as my goal. I'll change the goal if I reach that one. The pants already "fit" but they are much too tight for comfort, and I want to be able to wear them comfortably to work next Friday.
    Dia, let me start off by saying, I've missed you! I can't believe you've only been gone a week... feels like a month already...

Next, CONGRATULATIONS on the 4lbs! :dance:dance.gif

I told you a consistent 2-3 lbs a week is very doable. I think you'll find you may drop back down to that 2-3 range which is still a very respectable rate of loss. I'm so impressed by the program you've put together, and that time off from the non hair board has proven to be worthwhile - you're not missing much there by the way.

I'm really looking forward to next week's update :D
    Thanks, Cherish!!!! I really appreciate the encouragement, and the "back to reality" check about my weight loss stabilizing. I am really trying to avoid worrying about the scales and just using it as a guide to see if I can reach my goal with the women.

I am going to try to stick to the mini goals from now on. I've got LOTS of clothes in my closet(s) that are 2 inches away, 4 inches, etc. So, I can set mini-goals for a year and still have something to work toward. :lol:

I did exercise Saturday morning, and we went to the softball game Sat. night but we had the wrong time so we'd missed the game. Since I didn't exercise last night, I went to the track this morning and did 2 miles before church, then walked one mile in the neighborhood tonight after dinner. Sunday is my off day, but since I didn't reach my goal yesterday I went ahead and did something today, but kept it light.

I do "miss" you guys, and the controversy that can start over any and everything there. Seeing what someone would get an attitude over was one of the highlights of my day :roll:

Oh! I am taking a calcium and iron pill daily, as well as a liquid multi-vitamin and a teaspoon of fiber (psyllium husk powder) every evening. I have low iron since Dia, and I just take the calcium because I don't like milk, don't eat much cheese or yogurt, etc. The liquid vitamin is from Costco, and I don't know if it's imaginary, but I do feel like I have more energy with this combo than when I took the Centrum vitamin???
    dia99 wrote:
    Thanks, Cherish!!!! I really appreciate the encouragement, and the "back to reality" check about my weight loss stabilizing. I am really trying to avoid worrying about the scales and just using it as a guide to see if I can reach my goal with the women.

I am going to try to stick to the mini goals from now on. I've got LOTS of clothes in my closet(s) that are 2 inches away, 4 inches, etc. So, I can set mini-goals for a year and still have something to work toward. :lol:

This is a great approach!
    I did exercise Saturday morning, and we went to the softball game Sat. night but we had the wrong time so we'd missed the game. Since I didn't exercise last night, I went to the track this morning and did 2 miles before church, then walked one mile in the neighborhood tonight after dinner. Sunday is my off day, but since I didn't reach my goal yesterday I went ahead and did something today, but kept it light.

Such discipline :D
    I do "miss" you guys, and the controversy that can start over any and everything there. Seeing what someone would get an attitude over was one of the highlights of my day :roll:
    [/quote

:lol: Yep... everytime I return, I see the same ole patterns.

[quote
    Oh! I am taking a calcium and iron pill daily, as well as a liquid multi-vitamin and a teaspoon of fiber (psyllium husk powder) every evening. I have low iron since Dia, and I just take the calcium because I don't like milk, don't eat much cheese or yogurt, etc. The liquid vitamin is from Costco, and I don't know if it's imaginary, but I do feel like I have more energy with this combo than when I took the Centrum vitamin???

It's a couple of things. 1) Centrum is not all that great 2) Liquid multis have better delivery since there no tablet or gelcap to dissolve.

A couple of other issues with tablets are, they can have a lot of fillers and some don't even dissolve all the way.
    Wanted to add a couple of things... I love psyllium husk. It's the best. How much water do you drink with it? I try to drink 16oz with mine. With your calcium, are you balancing out with magnesium? Both should be in balance, and besides Mg has a lot of extra benefits.

I am back to my bodybuilding forum, along with a couple of boxing forums so I'm now on schedule once again with my workouts. I did a workout on saturday that still has me sore today, so I know now without a doubt, I did get lazy!!
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    anyone use wheatgrass?
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    anyone use wheatgrass?

I've used wheatgrass on and off in the past. I find it expensive for the rewards.
    Cherish,

I am only taking the calcium supplement because the liquid vitamin only has like 2% daily value. I'll check to see how much magnesium is there - if it's not enough, I'll get a magnesium supplement. Thanks for the tip!

I drink the psyllium husk powder in 16 oz of water, then drink another 8-12 oz water immediately after to wash it down.

Z - I've never tried wheatgrass.

I'm off to observe a student! Have a great day!!!
    I FIT INTO MY PANTS LAST NIGHT AND THEY HAD EXTRA ROOM!!!! :D

I am so excited! I told DaNa to just hide the scale from me after tomorrow when I weigh - from now on, I am only going to weigh once a month at the beginning of the month, and let the rest of the month be my min-goal setting.

I didn't do arms this week - my colleague still hasn't brought my weights from her house yet (I let her borrow them over the summer for some class she was taking). BUT, that is not a real excuse because I have more weights at home, I just had budgeted my time to do weights at school break rather than home. So, I should have adjusted and just done them at home. Next week I'll start on Monday while I'm watching tv or something (if she doesn't remember to bring them).

I ate really well - Zmanzzzz, I ate sushi twice this week. :D I followed the same routine as last week as far as eating.

Exercise (I already posted Sat/Sun, so I'll begin with Monday)

Monday
    3 mile AM - track
    2 mile PM - trail

Tuesday
    4 mile AM - track
    5 mile PM - trail

Wednesday
    3.5 mile AM - track
    5 mile PM - trail

Thursday
    1 mile AM - hills
    2 mile PM - trail

Friday
    2 mile AM - hills
    5 mile PM - trail

Saturday (incentive)
    4 mile AM - track
    softball PM

I have mountains and hills all around my house (I live in a valley), so yesterday and today I decided to do more strenous walking for less time and just walked around my neighborhood. I think I'll keep doing this some every week to build up my calves.

The afternoon walks were so long this week, and on a trail, because I just walked around the park twice while Dia was at her soccer camp (which she LOVES, by the way). It was a good way to get my evening exercise in early, and it was nice and shaded so it wasn't too hot.

I tried on another pair of capris last night that I bought a month ago when I had my anniversary. They were skin tight then (that's the way I wanted them :wink: ). Well, now they have real room in the waist, thighs, hips - they're actually not cute anymore. :cry: So, I'll have to give them away. That makes me sad and happy at the same time.

Anyway, my new goal is a pair of blue linen pants that are VERY cute that were purchased for me by a friend. I want to be able to wear them comfortably in the next two weeks - the waist is comfortable now, but they are so tight on my thighs/butt that I don't like the look (you know, where you can see pantyline).

That's my update....

Oh, I did go out and purchase a calcium/magnesium vitamin as I was almost out of my calcium supplement anyway. Thanks again for the tip, Cherish! I like your new avatar. Is that you with that long, graceful neck?

Lydia
    Lydia,

Your excitement is so contagious, that I'm raring to go workout now :mrgreen: Also, I'm suddenly craving sushi (it's only 9AM ish here)...

You're making wonderful progress. Congratulations on fitting into those pants, now you're onto the next! Wow!

Oh.. yes, that's my neck all twisted :lol: Thanks.

I'm looking forward to reading more progress reports.

Take care!
    how is the sabatical going? :D
    It's not bad at all, Z.

The first couple of days it was hard because I was actually reading things I had replied to previously and if someone said something "crazy" I really wanted to reply to it. Once I reminded myself that I couldn't post no matter what, the urge to even look reduced quickly. I'm not a sidelines kind of girl! :lol:

I have been so much more productive since the sabbatical, so that is another bonus. It just seems like I have so much more time in my day. I guess it's the same amount of time that was already there, huh? :wink:

I did do my exercise yesterday, and I got up this morning and did a two-mile moderate walk at the track because I ate so late last night (boneless, skinless chicken breast and 2 subway cookies).

Cherish,
    I started spotting Thursday, I think, when my period is still two weeks away. I think I remember that the last time I really started exercising heavily (it was 10 years ago :roll: ) I spotted for a little while, but I'm not sure - most of the time my period is like clockwork. Should I be concerned and cut back on the amount of exercise, or just work through it and it will return to normal?

I read a little online, and I'm definitely too big for the anorexic thing (too little fat on your body) :lol: , and I'm still eating healthy foods and getting all the food groups, as well as taking vitamins. I'm *thinking* this is just body stress because of the intensity of exercise shifting from NONE to a lot, but I wanted to ask your opinion before I call my doctor.

Lydia
    dia99 wrote:
    Cherish,
    I started spotting Thursday, I think, when my period is still two weeks away. I think I remember that the last time I really started exercising heavily (it was 10 years ago :roll: ) I spotted for a little while, but I'm not sure - most of the time my period is like clockwork. Should I be concerned and cut back on the amount of exercise, or just work through it and it will return to normal?

I read a little online, and I'm definitely too big for the anorexic thing (too little fat on your body) :lol: , and I'm still eating healthy foods and getting all the food groups, as well as taking vitamins. I'm *thinking* this is just body stress because of the intensity of exercise shifting from NONE to a lot, but I wanted to ask your opinion before I call my doctor.

Lydia

Usually, I would say run to the doc's, but in this case, wait.

I've heard of this happening before, and since you're mid cycle, that means you're ovulating. I would say because you went from very little exercise to a lot, it's a case of a plush endometrium from fat storage (ok, I may not have that exactly right, but you get the idea :) ). Exercise will jar that plushness during ovulation, and cause it to slough off. Now, in theory the spotting should cease in a few days never to return - this is not absolute. If that doesn't happen, then there could be another cause and you should call your Doc just in case. That's one good thing about exercising, I have to say, it brings all kinds of stuff, good and bad, to the surface.

Also, are you taking a day off? If not, you really need to do that.

I just walked for 50 mins on my day off :roll:
    Thanks for the info!

yes, Sunday is my day off - where I'm not doing anything strenous. But, I still have been doing something. If you look at my "journal" from last week, I did a really light day Thursday because I was extra tired and didn't get enough sleep, so I'm trying to let my body "speak" to me and tell me when to slow down. I won't do anything else today, though!

Lydia
    So... remind me to bump up a couple of threads for you when you return to non-hair :twisted:
    Cherish wrote:
    So... remind me to bump up a couple of threads for you when you return to non-hair :twisted:

Do they refer to my culture or my religion ? :wink: :twisted:

Please don't bump anything; I want people to be happy I return! :lol: Just kidding, nothing like a grand (re)entrance!

Okay, here's this week. I didn't go back and read what I already wrote, so I'll start with

Sunday
    2 mile walk am
    beach swim

Monday
    4 mile walk am
    2 mile walk pm

Tuesday
    4 mile walk am
    2 mile walk pm

Wednesday
    3 mile walk am
    water aerobics (1 hour) pm

Thursday
    2 mile walk am
    clean up my house for company pm (I'd guess about 200 calories :lol: )

Friday
    Cook and clean for company am
    4 mile walk pm (then lasagna, fried chicken, bruschetta, and SALAD with bavarian pear tarts and southern iced tea and lemonade for dinner with my company :cry: )

Saturday
    4 mile walk am
    softball pm

I've been consistent with my vitamins and food intake. I haven't seen much of a difference in the mirror this week, but I did try on my pants again that are my new goal for next Friday, and they are fitting better. I don't know if they'll be right for next Friday, but they're getting better. So, I'll keep working toward putting them on! I haven't done weights yet!!! I've got to get that part of my regimen actually added to my regimen 8)

I stopped my flow after 5 days, which is my normal length of period, so I don't know if I'll have a period next week when it's supposed to start, but this was really light everyday so I probably will.
    :lol: Nah.. I'm just trying to cause trouble for your pretend man, Z... but he's not pretend scared :?

I know weights would make a significant difference to your progress. What's the hold up with that?

If using weights is not convenient/possible right now, maybe you can do exercises that use your body weight like pushups, tricep dips, front and side lunges and squats. Let me know if you want me to find online videos of some moves for you.
    No hold up, just me.

I am almost autistic or ocd in that once I set my mind to when and where something should occur, it has to occur at that time. So, since I decided to exercise at school with my weights and the colleague hasn't brought them, I haven't exercised at home. Nevermind the fact that I have three sets of weights at home of different lbs, and could very easily do my 3 sets of 10 while watching tv in the evening. It is just the getting me to even THINK about it at home since my mind says that will be done at school.

I am making a pledge here to do weights at home tonight and tomorrow, and I will post back and let "you" know that I did them. I am going to have to take the weights out as soon as I get home and place them on the coffee table or something, or else I'll never remember it. I have to re-train my mind on things like this after I've planned something one way. I could probably use some therapy, but I didn't write that into my schedule :lol:

I definitely know weights help a lot. When I did use weights, I saw significant progress quickly. I am calling my husband now to tell him to remind me. I guess me lifting the forkful of lasagna doesn't count for even one set?? :oops:

What is Z doing? "We" are not pretend; this is the real thing!
    :lol: Your lasagna comment reminds me of an ex-boss who played darts competitively at her local pub. She mentioned the best exercise for the forearm and biceps for darts was lifting her pint glass to her mouth :lol:

I will not fully betray, Z ... yet :twisted:
    dia99 wrote:
    What is Z doing?

living. :D

keep it up lydia, you can be a motivator for this whole bored. what is your target weight?
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    dia99 wrote:
    What is Z doing?

living. :D

Sure :roll:
    keep it up lydia, you can be a motivator for this whole bored.

I agree! :D
    No target weight, Z, though I think it would be somewhere around 175 pounds. Right now I am a size 14, and I want to be a size 10/12, I think. I have very large bones, and am just a "big" woman, so I don't want to be small - it would make my head look even bigger :roll: :lol:

I think that if I lose 30-40 pounds I will be at a size 10/12. I have to lose lots of weight to see a real difference in clothing size because my weight is very proportioned on my body. When I was 25 pounds lighter I was a size 12, now I'm a 14. I want size 12s to be loose but still wearable (does that make sense?).

So, no weight goal anymore, other than the goal of losing the now 25 pounds by Christmas - that is our revamped goal because no one had lost any weight or inches but me as of yet, and our weigh-in day was originally September 1. :roll: Now, we have until Christmas and I am just happy to have a motivator to keep exercising; I'm not really concerned about the weight because I know if I keep doing it the weight will come off eventually and I'll be fit and healthy in the process!

Cherish, I started weights tonight. I'll post how many days I did them on Friday - DaNa's supposed to do them with me for four weeks (and sit-ups, too).

Lydia

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file