Weight Loss Pact

dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
Okay, I started a pact with my pastor's wife and another church member. We all agreed that no skinny folks could join our group! We are going to try to lose 20 lbs between June 1 and September 1. My pastor's wife and I were doing GREAT walking from the beginning of the year until she broke her leg 2 1/2 months ago. We've been back on the fat train since then.

So, give me some ideas for fun things we can do that will be easy to remember to do, and be motivating. We all have children (I have one; they each have 4). I work, they are both SAHMs. I like waking up early, they don't but are willing to. We all can work out in the evenings. Is it realistic to expect we could lose 20 lbs in three months by just walking and watching what we eat, or are we going to have to "kick it up a notch"?

Any suggestions?
People rise to the standard expected of them. GC

Comments

• PoodleDooPoodleDoo Posts: 24Registered Users
    I know quite a few people who can lose weight with just walking and watching their diet. If you're not used to exercising, the walking should be great to lose weight. I'm so used to doing aerobics, that walking does nothing for me. But I walk with my husband when he wants to lose weight....I just talk to him the entire walk!! :lol:

How about rollerblading? Or riding bikes? Playing tennis....SWIMMING.

I've lost weight just playing around the basketball court by myself, doing layups, etc. Maybe y'all could get a team together and play basketball. It burns the calories, and you're having fun at the same time....so it's not like exercise. :)
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    dia99 wrote:
    Is it realistic to expect we could lose 20 lbs in three months by just walking and watching what we eat, or are we going to have to "kick it up a notch"?

Any suggestions?

I think it's realistic especially if there are some hilly walks/hikes you can do. You would have a better idea after the first month.

If you're not on schedule at that point then kick it up a notch. Get a better handle on what you're consuming, stick to just water for fluids, and get more intense cardio and some weights in there. Fun & active stuff I like include tennis, golf, long hikes... and window shopping.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    20 pounds in 3 months comes out to about 1.7 pounds a week, which is pretty intense, although doable for some people. My first suggestion is that you stop thinking about it in terms of a number on the scale, and think about health and fitness, and looking better.

The exercise suggestions PoodleDoo has are great. You should try to do something about 5x per week, for about an hour, if possible. But remember that ANY is way, way, better than none. So don't skip a whole workout just because you only have half the time: do half!

As was said, if you're not used to physical activity, the walking is great. But stepping up the intensity will definitely help you out, especially if you are used to the walking. At the very least, how about adding some strength-training pieces to your walks? Crunches, push-ups, tricep dips, squats, etc. are all things that can be done with little to no equipment.

And what about diet? If you're serious about losing weight, you have to be serious about what you're eating, too. Don't "go on a diet". Make changes that you and your family can live with FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES. If you already eat healthy, making a few changes to your diet won't effect your weight loss drastically. But if, for example, you eat Cocoa Puffs for breakfast, a candy bar every day, and drink juice and soda, making some changes could cause rapid weightloss!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    Thanks, Guys!

There are definitely VERY hilly walks around us - we live in the valley. I hate hills, but the other two ladies love hiking and stuff so we were walking hills before the fall, and I had lost 11 pounds in 6 weeks.

I eat great except for desserts/sweets. I think I am going to have cut them out completely, then reintroduce them slowly after I've gotten more self-control. I eat healthy breakfast (oatmeal or bran cereals) vegetables, salads, and I actually don't eat a lot of meat. I only drink water. I probably have a flavored beverage once every 2-3 weeks, if that. I take my vitamins and a calcium supplement daily, and I get enough sleep.

My weight problem, I think, is due to my sedentary lifestyle and the sweets/desserts. Also, I eat large portions, which is fine when I'm burning off calories (because I don't eat all throughout the day), but not when I'm sitting on my behind.

In short, I am a lazy sweets glutton.

I have never played sports, so my coordination is very bad. I am great with weights and walking - that's all I can do well (with good form and stamina). I am going to play softball this summer with a league. I'm trying to get more involved with group activities so I'll be more likely to stick to it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies! Keep 'em coming. And, feel free to tear apart anything I said above - I can take it!
    Glad to know I can let rip if necessary ;)

I do think you have a workable plan. I think 2lbs a week is perfectly safe and achievable. I don't know if you want to do a meal breakdown for a full critique... but really, I think you already know the changes you need to make.

I'm a sweets/dessert fiend, too. You just have to know your limits. I think giving them up and reintro-ing is an excellent idea. I'm also big on the salads, fruit and veggies. If you're eating huge portions in general, that could mean you're not drinking enough water.

With sports, I wouldn't worry about coordination if it's something you enjpy or want to try. You would expend a whole bunch of energy just trying to get better at it! :D I like the softball idea.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    dia99 wrote:
    There are definitely VERY hilly walks around us - we live in the valley. I hate hills, but the other two ladies love hiking and stuff so we were walking hills before the fall, and I had lost 11 pounds in 6 weeks.

Well this should add the intensity to the workout it will take to lose some weight! I still suggest adding in some other exercises like pushups, crunches, etc. before/after/during your walks. And if you don't feel like exercising, still try to do just a little bit.
    dia99 wrote:
    I eat great except for desserts/sweets. I think I am going to have cut them out completely, then reintroduce them slowly after I've gotten more self-control. I eat healthy breakfast (oatmeal or bran cereals) vegetables, salads, and I actually don't eat a lot of meat. I only drink water. I probably have a flavored beverage once every 2-3 weeks, if that. I take my vitamins and a calcium supplement daily, and I get enough sleep.

Do you count calories at all? I suggest you do it if only for a few days. If you've never done this, it's possible you're consuming a lot of calories that you could easily cut out.

I am the biggest sweets-glutton ever, and I've managed to cut them out completely. I've never felt better, and honestly I don't miss them. I've had sweets 2x (in one weekend) in the past 3 months or so, and I used to eat them every day! My advice is to not replace them with anything, just cut them out completely, and within a few days you won't have the cravings. Even eating just a tiny bit will keep you getting cravings. I actually eat low-carb now simply because it prevents me from getting any cravings.
    dia99 wrote:
    My weight problem, I think, is due to my sedentary lifestyle and the sweets/desserts. Also, I eat large portions, which is fine when I'm burning off calories (because I don't eat all throughout the day), but not when I'm sitting on my behind.

Aside from the walking, can you work in little bits of exercise here and there? They REALLY add up! Thinks like parking farther away from the stores.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • jessiebirdjessiebird Posts: 10Registered Users
    My new thing is portion control. I've dropped 10 pounds since Christmas, which I realize is not fast enough for your pact, but I haven't been trying too hard at all.

I haven't cut out any foods. I just started measuring servings (which meant, for instance, cutting my normal morning bowl of cereal practically in thirds). I had no idea what huge servings I was eating. Now I'm eating more "water-rich" foods that have a lot of volume but not calories, so I still get the joy of eating, eating, eating.

I also go to the gym regularly. But if you don't, you could get a pedometer and aim for 10,000 steps a day. That's supposed to be a great trick. I got a pedometer but it was a cheap one, and it was giving me about 1,000 steps just for walking to the bathroom!

Park a little farther away from the store. Go on short walks after dinner. Mow your lawn with a push mower (that's a great one for me). I realize you are crunched for time, but anything you can do (stairs, not elevator) to add movement here and there should help. 20 pounds is a lofty goal for 3 months, which could make you feel like a failure even if you are doing a great job. Maybe you should consider lowering it to 15?

Congratulations on making a change. Good luck with it.
    3a/3b very thick, very coarse at crown. Growing out short cut as of 1/05! Pass: curly
    Thanks, Ladies!

We weighed in yesterday :oops:

I was at 215, which is 6 lbs down since January that have stayed off even though I stopped exercising. I'm happy about that. At 215, I am a size 14 in all my clothes. My ultimate goal is to be a 10, more than weight because all of my health is excellent (good/bad cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose level, etc). I see the doctors always looking surprised when they get my test results back :lol: because at my weight and height (5'9), I should not be this "healthy."

We are going to weigh every week, and I am going to do the not eating after 6 thing (since I go to bed between 9-10). DaNa (hubby) said he will start doing situps and push-ups wth me, too. I'm so excited!

I am going to look at portions, too, and eating more slowly so I can know I'm full. I joined justwalk.com, and it has a way for me to track my diet/calories and exercise daily.

Thanks for all the help! I'll keep looking back at this for motivation, and to give updates on my progress.
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    Lydia, Self's idiet is great. I am not overweight but I need to watch what I eat and exercise because of my thyroid problem. I gained five pounds last year (put me at normal weight) so I want to make sure I do not slip and become overweight. I was told that it starts with 5 and before you know it you are 20 pounds overweight.

You log in the food you eat and it lets you know how much calories, fat, carbohydrates, and protein you have left for the day. It also gives you a good weight loss and exercise plan if that is what you are looking for. I like it because it does not tell me what I should eat but I can choose. It is very flexible and I realized that I do not need to eat as much calories as I was eating each day.

On another note, do not forget your good fats. Those help you loose weight too.

Overall, it is about making healthy choices for life, portion control, moderation, and flexibility.

Do not set yourself up for failure but eliminating everything at once (and even then some of the “bad” stuff can be good in moderation). Also, learn how to “budget” your food and eat in moderation. For example, if you eat an extra piece of birthday cake estimate how many calories it is worth and skip something that is worth the same amount of calories as the cake. It is as easy as balancing your budget.

You can do it and we will support you too!

Here is the link if you are interested: http://www.selfdietclub.com/dt/selfindex.asp

:P
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif
    Also, do not weigh yourself. Judge weight loss by how you look and feel and how your clothes fit. The scale can fool you because you may be gaining muscle or be bloated (a reason to watch your salt intake).

Good luck :D

br-flag1.gif
    dia99 wrote:
    Thanks, Ladies!

We weighed in yesterday :oops:

I was at 215, which is 6 lbs down since January that have stayed off even though I stopped exercising. I'm happy about that. At 215, I am a size 14 in all my clothes. My ultimate goal is to be a 10, more than weight because all of my health is excellent (good/bad cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose level, etc). I see the doctors always looking surprised when they get my test results back :lol: because at my weight and height (5'9), I should not be this "healthy."

This is good. Suggests to me you have a decent amount of lean muscle mass already.
    We are going to weigh every week, and I am going to do the not eating after 6 thing (since I go to bed between 9-10). DaNa (hubby) said he will start doing situps and push-ups wth me, too. I'm so excited!

I am going to look at portions, too, and eating more slowly so I can know I'm full. I joined justwalk.com, and it has a way for me to track my diet/calories and exercise daily.

Thanks for all the help! I'll keep looking back at this for motivation, and to give updates on my progress.

Nice. I will check back for updates :)
    Okay,

at weigh-in yesterday I was down 1 pound. On my scale at home I'm down 4, but I am weighing myself at home in the mornings before I eat anything and sans clothes. I have been eating well, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean proteins. I walked three days, which is down from what I wanted to do, so I have to get that up for the next week. I have been stopping eating by 6:00 pm, and I brush my teeth and put in my bands (for braces) to remind myself that all food consumption is over for the day.

Tomorrow, I'll have to eat after 6 because we have a dinner party over someone's house, but I'll just have to cut back earlier in the day.

That's all I have to add for now. DaNa and I have not been exercising at home like we said we would (weights, sit-ups, push ups, etc.), and he's already asleep tonight - I think he's still tired from the trip/plane ride to/from DC.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i'm a proponent of weighing once a week. even w/ the muscle gain possibility it's a good idea to keep track of the number in combination w/ how you feel AND how your clothes fit, etc. i say weight once a week around the same time and in the same manner (clothes or no clothes, etc).

again slight fluctuations won't matter but it's a good idea to keep track of your number and that way if it starts consistently going in the wrong direction, unless you're adding massive amounts of muscle, you can make adjustments quickly. i've seen this tip in numerous magazines and sound weight loss books.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    Down another pound today.

I have been doing some walking, and eating really well!!!!! I still haven't gotten back into the exercise groove yet, and when I exercise I really love it, so I've got to get started with that!

I am still happy that I can tell my habits are better and see the scale going down instead of up!
    Today's weigh-in was 212. I'm continuing to go down, so that's good. I've been eating well still, lots of fruit and vegetables, but I still haven't started consistent exercise. I've just been doing some walking pretty much daily, but not nearly as much as I normally do when I exercise (I'm used to walking 4-5 miles per day when I go consistently). So, I still need to get it together for exercise.
    It's been more than 3 weeks since your last update... :?
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    big girls need luvin too. :cowboy:cowboy.gif
    bicycle.
    Oh, I stopped because I didn't know anyone was still looking at it.

I've been walking, and eating well. I haven't lost anymore weight though :? , and this week it is actually up 2 pounds (I should start my period today and I haven't been drinking enough water).

I want to do a gym because I like lifting weights, but we don't have the money to spend on that right now. My sister is getting married and having her reception in January, so I have a new goal after my September goal.

Saturday I spent all day at the water park, then I played softball. Sunday, we went walking as a family and we walked around the musuem for about an hour, too. DaNa is helping me incorporate physical activities into our family time, so I think that will make a difference, too.

I guess I should keep writing on here even if I don't see feedback, to keep myself focused and on track. I weigh Wednesday, so I'll be sure to post the results.

Lydia
    Oh, we are looking at it. :wink:

If you are not keeping up with it then someone will comment.

I have a journal too. You can wag your finger at me if I miss a few days. Although I am not trying to loose weight we can still share tips and support each other. :D

Do no get caught up with the number game. Do not weigh yourself often (and never before your period) because your weight will fluctuate a lot. Judge your weight loss by how your clothes fit, how you look in the mirror, and how you feel.

Also, if you do not already do this, start a food log so you know exactly what you are eating and how much. It is easier to pick out your "offenders" this way.

And hide that scale!!! There is no reason to weigh yourself once a week. This may do more damage than good.

br-flag1.gif
    "no comment" means you're doing fine. Now, if you post: "I had half of a whole cheesecake and I feel queasy", I'd be on your case :D 8)
    Maybe if you posted some of your meals, or just a typical day we can jump on you :twisted: ;)
    Cherish wrote:
    Maybe if you posted some of your meals, or just a typical day we can jump on you :twisted: ;)

I agree. It is the only way we can help you. :twisted:

So, from now on do not forget to log in when you had that slice of peach cobbler (I know all about those goodies you bake in Hawaii). :wink: :P

br-flag1.gif
    Yesterday I had

baked chicken (2 very small pieces that would both fit into palm of my hand)
    shrimp (4-5 large)
    homemade soft taco salad (lettuce, tomato, salsa, 1T sour cream, 2T shredded cheese)
    mixed fresh fruit (watermelon, canteloupe, pineapples)
    1 serving size brownie (at Vacation Bible School - I don't have them in my house :D )

I didn't do any snacking yesterday at all because I wasn't home - I took Dia to play games at Dave & Buster's and to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I take a complete multi-vitamin and iron supplement daily. Since pregnancy, I have had low iron - if I don't take the supplement I never have enough iron when I go to donate blood.

I'm off to walk now!
    have you tried sushi?

i was overweight about 5 years ago and now i am right where i want to be. coincidently, that is when i began eating raw fish multiple times a week.
    dia99 wrote:
    Yesterday I had

baked chicken (2 very small pieces that would both fit into palm of my hand)
    shrimp (4-5 large)
    homemade soft taco salad (lettuce, tomato, salsa, 1T sour cream, 2T shredded cheese)
    mixed fresh fruit (watermelon, canteloupe, pineapples)
    1 serving size brownie (at Vacation Bible School - I don't have them in my house :D )

I didn't do any snacking yesterday at all because I wasn't home - I took Dia to play games at Dave & Buster's and to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I take a complete multi-vitamin and iron supplement daily. Since pregnancy, I have had low iron - if I don't take the supplement I never have enough iron when I go to donate blood.

I'm off to walk now!

Very good. How long was the walk... did you do any hills or roads with inclines?
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    have you tried sushi?

i was overweight about 5 years ago and now i am right where i want to be. coincidently, that is when i began eating raw fish multiple times a week.

I LOVE sushi :D
    DaNa woke up as I was getting ready to go and told me :shock: someone we know is getting an abortion. This board comes to life much to often for my taste. :?

So, then he wanted to talk. I'm going to go walking in about an hour now. I just got Dia off to Summer Fun and DaNa off to work with lunches and breakfast and stuff.

I walk 1 1/2 miles roundtrip to/from the track (there is an okay hill and slight hill on the way), then I walk between 3 - 3 1/2 miles while at the track. In all, it takes me an hour to leave and get back to my house, so I walk at a pretty good pace. I walk average pace going to the track, fast at the track, and slow coming back from the track.

The problem is that if I get off even one day (it rains so much here), it takes another week before I get into the routine again unless I have a partner. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY have to figure out a way to exhibit self-control and motivation in this area.

Zmanzzz, I loved sushi in DC, but I don't like it here. This is probably "real" sushi, though. We found a couple of sushi bars we are going to try out soon, though.
    If you post about missing a workout day (I'm assuming you have a day or 2 off), that will make you accountable and more likely to get back on track the next day.

What I do is go to a bodybulding/fitness forum that I really like and read a part of someone's journal or some posts, and suddenly I NEED to workout.
    2 boiled eggs
    3 eggo waffles (2 T syrup melted w/ 1/2 T butter)
    10 cherries
    spinach-artichoke dip (leftovers from what I made) w/ 20 Tostistos Rounds (14 is a serving)
    raw carrots and brocolli (about a cup total)
    hot dog w/ bun
    1 c macaroni cheese (box disgusting kind)
    1 cup cubed watermelon
    serving size slice of baked apple pie

This week is dinner at Vacation Bible School everyday, so everything at the end of my list (hot dog down) is VBS food, not food I would cook for a regular meal at home (except we do have fruit everyday).

I was pretty active yesterday (meaning not sitting home on my butt). I went and ate lunch with DaNa, I went to Costco and walked around about an hour and shopped, I worked at VBS last night, and I walked.

I am bloated today because it's the first real day of my period, and I have absolutely no energy because of it, too. But, I am going to get out of here in a couple hours and go walking downtown, I think. DaNa has to go there for a meeting, so I'll just ride with him and walk while he's in his meeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file