Is it too much to co-wash everyday?

I just don't have any luck with 2nd day hair. I've tried the water wash on the 2nd day and it's not much better. I work out (intensely) in the a.m. Mon-Fri and my hair is sopping with sweat when I finish. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I can only water wash on the 2nd day and even then it doesn't look great --just tolerable. If I try a third day, my hair looks really bad. Is it o.k. to co-wash every day?
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

Comments

• echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    I pretty much cowash or water wash every day. I have terrible luck with 2nd day hair. When I first started CG I sometimes cowashed 2 times a day because my hair was in desperate need of moisture and conditioning. Now I water wash more often than cowash. I am at about 3 out of 7 days cowashing now. Eventually after a while, your hair/scalp will feel better and you won't need to co wash as much as rinse and restyle.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    Thanks echo. For the past three days I've only water washed and my hair has looked much better. Tomorrow's Monday, though, and I'm scared to stretch it another day. I think I'm going to cut my co-washes down to two days (Mon & Thurs) and see how that goes.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,478 Curl Connoisseur
    I wet and/or co-wash everyday. Second day hair is non-existent for me unless I put it up and I rarely do that.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • SweetpeasSweetpeas Registered Users Posts: 58
    I conditioner wash everyday because my hair likes conditioner and water daily. :cat:
    Currently Transitioning!!!
    Co-Wash 2x per week: PM The Detangler
    Scalp Cleanser 1x per month: V05 Con mixed w/ Brown Sugar
    Leave-In: PM The Conditioner Leave-In
    Styling Gel Staple: PM Spray Gel
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Registered Users Posts: 430 Curl Novice
    I CO wash everyday as well. I deep condition ever 2 days w/ a protein conditioner.
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Registered Users Posts: 237
    Question for those who detangle with their fingers, since u co wash everyday do you detangle also and what about when you water rinse do you basically pour water over your head...and then apply leave-in, gels and what not after. Thanks. I'm just curious.
    Because I also cowash everyday and detangle with every wash and maybe its just me but I start to see more frizz after the first 2 washes. Maybe I don't need to detangle everyday? What are your thoughts on this?
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • learning2luvmycurlslearning2luvmycurls Registered Users Posts: 25
    I usually co-wash everyday too. I have tried to get 2nd day hair by just using a spray bottle full of water and re-scrunching and this has worked sometimes and sometimes not, so I'm not really sure about relying on the 2nd day hair. Generally, if I really want my hair to look good on a particular day I definately co-wash. I don't think there is anything wrong or harmful with everyday co-washing, I think it's just a preference.
    Fine/3a-c hair, CG since 2006
    C/O wash: Suave Waterlily Aloe, As I am Coconut Co-wash
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Custard Cream, Kinky Curly Knot Today Detangler,Herbal Essence Set me Free Gel, Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    HG: Neutral protein filler
    DT: Coconut Oil, Argan Oil
    Special Considerations: I frequently color because I have almost 50% grey, I use a semi-permanent to reduce damage
    Stellababy, if I water or co wash I detangle every time. I just bend over the side of the tub and let the water force help in detangling. But I pretty much have to detangle every day because my hair is so long that it tangles very easily.
    But that said, once I detangle I don't run my fingers through my hair after I apply the rest of my prods.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    I've found that co-washing every day is too much for my roots, and they get greasy, but the rest of my hair would be really tangly if I got it wet without conditioning. So I always use conditioner on the length of my hair, and not always on the roots.
    Thanks echokitten, I just wanted to make sure i was doing this right.lol

Another thing.
    I know that our scalp produces some special essential oils. Supposedly isn’t washing our hair everyday gonna strip our hair of those essential oils?
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
    Sulphate shampoos strip natural oils from hair, not conditioners. That's why co-washing works. Water washing will remove loose dirt and some of the oils but it's not stripping the oils completely from the scalp/hair shaft the way regular shampoos do.

Thanks again echokitten,

So when we add oils to our hair like jojoba, vit.e and so on how do we get them out without shampooing and avoiding buildup?

The other day I used a clarifying shampoo because I starting getting white stuff in my hair from the conditioner, which looks even worse when I add gel after I'm done cowashing-I try the cowashing curly girl routine but everynow and then I stray off course and now my hair is super frizzy- why is that?, this always happens everytime I shampoo and it takes about a week or so before It gets back to normal, lol anyhow, I'm on a roll lol im sorry, I don't wanna make a post for every question little question I have hahahahahaa
    Thank you!
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    echokitten wrote:
    I pretty much cowash or water wash every day. I have terrible luck with 2nd day hair. When I first started CG I sometimes cowashed 2 times a day because my hair was in desperate need of moisture and conditioning. Now I water wash more often than cowash. I am at about 3 out of 7 days cowashing now. Eventually after a while, your hair/scalp will feel better and you won't need to co wash as much as rinse and restyle.

Echokitten, I took your recommendation and started to only co-wash two days a week and water wash the other days. Last Sunday (when I didn't have anywhere to go) I actually was able to get by with 2nd day hair and my hair was amazing --but I think that might have been a fluke. I'm afraid to try it again until Sunday when I don't have to be anywhere again.

I think water washing it more frequently than co-washing it has helped with my curl pattern because in the past week, the right side of my head (which is has not been as curly has the left) is starting to catch up with the left. Thanks Echo!
    KurlyKarenLee

• MSeabrooksMSeabrooks Registered Users Posts: 11
    I condition wash my hair everyday. I have 3C hair and wouldn't be able to do anything with it the next day unless I got it completely wet, so why not recondition too. Plus, we are now in the middle of ragweed allergy season. If I don't co wash everyday to rinse out the pollen, my scalp is really itchy and it wreaks havoc on my sinuses too. I clarify and deep condition with heat once a week. I find if I don't do that, the product build-up makes my curls less curly and stringier. Deep conditioning is a must, especially for those of us with the 3C or 4 hair. Moisture, moisture, and more moisture. This is what our hair craves!
    :reindeer: 3c/4a
    Short & Curly
    Fav Products: Curl Junkie, Ojon, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, Wen Fig
    Just thought I'd share that I finally got over the frizzy situation with my shampoo wash a couple of days back by leaving a little more conditioner in my hair and using spray bottle with conditioner&water to spray it up after putting in the gel...seems to work for me =)
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Amla powder

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09