How often does your hair get cut?

Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
How often do you get your hair cut (or do it yourself, for that matter)?

I'm asking because I recently had my hair cut above my shoulders, and loved it, but not it's starting to grow out, and it's only been about a month!
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    I cut my hair as infrequently as I can because it grows slow and I am trying to grow it out. So I said 6 months to a year.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • KurleeKurlee Registered Users Posts: 1,354
    6 weeks-3 months.
    My hair grows fast. I have tried to grow it out many times but when it gets to a certain length it just looks bad. It's like my hair doesn't want to grow that long. Sad.

• lithe&tawnylithe&tawny Registered Users Posts: 1
    I get my hair cut usually every 3 to 4 months so I put 3 to 6 months on the poll. Since I straighten my hair often I like to keep my split ends in control and the length mangeable for straightening. When my hair gets long, it takes forever to straighten.
    Siobhan S.

3B Brown-Reddish Auburn (Dyed), Biracial Hair!
    Shampoo: Anti-Frizz Solutions (SLS-free, baby!)
    Conditioner: Suave Professional Humectant
    Styling: LA Looks Expressive Line Gel, Hard-core Plopper!

Password for photo album is: astromantic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I had my last "real" haircut in January which is a big deal since I have been a 6-8 week trimmer for years and years. I decided to go curly in February and since then I have snipped a bit here and there. I think I am going to try for an every 6 month haircut from now on.

Maudie
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    The last professional hair cut I had was in 1999. But I trim my own hair every 2-3 months(when I straighten my hair to track growth) or as needed.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I only get a salon cut once or twice a year, but every 4-6 weeks, I comb through my hair and snip miniscule amounts off the ends if I see split ends.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• AlexaAlexa Registered Users Posts: 208
    I voted 3-6 months at the moment cos I am trying to let it grow, last cut was in February. Hair is dry but no split ends so will try to last a bit longer yet!
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    I get mine cut about every 10-11 weeks. Sometimes it's longer if I'm busy and forget to book an appointment. Sometimes earlier if it gets too badly out of shape. I used to cut it about every 6-8 weeks when it was shorter, but can go longer now that it's longer. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    I voted 6 months to a year. My last cut was in March, before that Jun 2004. I try to go as long as I can since I'm growing it long.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • LadydncingLadydncing Registered Users Posts: 964
    I also voted 6 mo. to a year. I am trying to grow my
    hair. I will be going to Devachan to clean my last haircut
    (in April) and hopefully I won't go back till next summer??
    We'll see. :wink:
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • SherryLSherryL Registered Users Posts: 82
    I voted 6 months to a year. When I was first growing my hair out, I went 13 months without any problems. However, in order to maintain a decent shape I really like to have it trimmed about every 6 or 7 months. Once I'm at my goal length (which is just at the top of my waist), I'll probably trim every 2 to 3 months.
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    I get mine professionally trimmed because of layers, face-framing & bangs on average every 2 months.
  • lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    I would normally say 6-12 months, but this past year has been the exception since I've had it cut 3 times (the latest being 3 days ago, which made it 5 months since my last), so I put 3-6 months. With my hair being the way it is, on the fine side but not baby fine, I've come to realize that I need to get it trimmed about that often in order to keep the tangles from getting worse on the ends as they get a little bit dry.
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Registered Users Posts: 652
    i put 6 weeks to 3 months, because that's my usual time....
    but i haven't had my hair cut since february, and i'm trying to go a month or so more because i'm growing my hair out. i just want the ends to stay healthy, and i hate walking around with a weird shape. growing out layers can do that! :twisted:
    once i get it into the shape it needs to be, i'll just let it grow and leave it alone! unless, of course, an opportunity to have it dry cut by a devachan stylist pops up....then i'll make an exception! :wink:

so for now i'm a 6 weeks-3 months...but i'm hoping to make it to 6 months-1 year without a trim....we'll see! :roll: :wink:
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • blondie1017blondie1017 Registered Users Posts: 12
    LibbyLiz wrote:
    I get mine professionally trimmed because of layers, face-framing & bangs on average every 2 months.

Exactly the same with me!
    2c-3aish,blonde, fine /normal

PW:curlypictures

HG's:Aura Hypo. Gel, HE Max Hold Mousse, Garnier Curl Construct Mousse, Abba Weightless, Potion 9, Honey, CON Shampoo, Suave Milk/Honey Condish, Aveda LE Smoothing Fluid, Garnier Sleek and Shine serem
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I chose 6 weeks-3 months. I am growing out, but I don't like my ends to look lighter than the rest of my hair, and I don't like when they get tangly, or my length looks too uneven. That has slowed my growing out progress some, for sure, but my hair lays better with my microtrims every 7 weeks (when I color).
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123
    Not as often as I should I'm sure, but it is so hard to find someone who knows how to deal with curly hair in my area. I just go in when I think I'm about to get split ends and get a trim. I really don't want a lot of cutting done without being confident that the person knows how to deal with curly hair. :?
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
  • KeepinMyCurlsKeepinMyCurls Registered Users Posts: 9
    I think I've only had my hair cut once in the past year.
  • mayimmayim Registered Users Posts: 2,301
    I have traditionally been an every 4-6 week-er for a long time - both because my hair grows super fast, and because I've generally had fairly short, fairly layered cuts that must be kept in shape.

I've been trying to grow mine out a bit, so I've been trying to make myself wait 7 or 8 weeks. I'm getting it shaped up again soon, it's been 6 weeks, I think. But if I decide to keep trying for longer, and as it gets longer I'll keep seeing how long I can go in between cuts.

M
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• RainRain Registered Users Posts: 217 Curl Neophyte
    I had haircuts less than a month apart in January and February of this year but that's not the norm for me at all. Usually, it's twice a year just to clean up the ends.
    3a/b, fine, lots of it
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I haven't been in a salon in years and have only had a professional cut maybe 10 times in 48 years, each it's own special disaster. In between those cuts I would just let it grow long, then chop it all off and start again. My hair grows very slowly and now that it's healthy, I never get spit ends. So I just trim bits off if they are sticking out weirdly. I voted 3-6 months because I do make a concerted effort to give my hair some shape at least once every 5 or 6 months.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • Ava79Ava79 Registered Users Posts: 159
    Last cut was in April, before that it was Jan. Every 4 months, I suppose or when ever I can afford it (my cuts are expensive!). My hair has been growing fast since I started going wavy/curly. Was the heat styling stunting my hair growth or are my products making my hair grow faster? I have layers and bangs that need to be updated from time to time. My ends never get bad, but if my hair loses its shape, then its time for a cut.
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    When my hair was above shoulder length, I used to get it cut about every 2 1/2 months. Now it's longer and doesn't need as much attention to the shape. I get it cut when I get highlights, every 4 months. I'm not letting it grow any more, so I get about 2 inches cut off when I go.
  • shrinkstershrinkster Registered Users Posts: 99
    When I was relaxing my hair I was going for a cut every 3 months. Now that I've been transitioning it's been 7 months. At Devachan they told me to come every six months. I'm going to curve salon on June 23 for a BC so I'll probably go a long time without a cut.
    Hair: Medium Texture, Normal Porosity, Low elasticity
    Curl Pattern:3C

Poo: KC Come Clean (once/wk)
    Clarify: Ouidad Water Works (once/month)
    RO: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom
    LI: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom
    Gels: HETT and FSG
    DT: CJCR (once/wk)
    PT: Yogurt with coconut oil and avocado oil (once/month)
  • EleanahallEleanahall Registered Users Posts: 2
    I'm 3c and my ends split easily. At about 6 weeks my shape is out of whack and I start seeing some breakage which tells me my ends are dry. I'm growing, and would like to go longer in between trims. Maybe I need to deep condition more often to keep the ends healthier.
  • NalliaNallia Registered Users Posts: 2,979
    I used to get my hair cut every 3-6 months but now I have to get it cut every 4-6 weeks because it's much shorter.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Registered Users Posts: 714
    I just realized this thread is almost 5 years old! :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • caramix3acaramix3a Registered Users Posts: 462 Curl Neophyte
    When I was wearing my hair a lot shorter and way more layers, I had to go every 7-8 weeks. Now that my hair is in longer layers, and just clearing shoulder-length(long for me)I can go for 3-4 months in between cuts(good thing, because for me my cuts are expensive, at $60+tip). Plus I cheat a little by trimming my own bangs so I can really go those 4 months. Also I'm CG, so I'm curlier, with my mixed texture, 2c/3a hair. Spacing out my cuts makes it easier on the pocketbook, plus these cuts last a long time anyway and grow out well. In fact, I'm going tomorrow after 4 months since last cut!
  • wavyRwavyR Registered Users Posts: 129
    i haven't cut my hair since june '09. i tend to go about 6 months to a year between cuts, partly because i'm too cheap to shell out cash for cuts more often, and i think in general, my hair grows out well from cuts.
    2b/c, med./coarse texture, med./high density & mod. porous http://public.fotki.com/wavyR/
    LOVE tresemme naturals, suave pomegranate, ecostyler, HESMU, BRHG, KCCC, CIAB, CCCClite, KY Jelly & JCN&S. HATE soy protein.

event.png

• msgibletmsgiblet Registered Users Posts: 5,825
    I get a micro trim every 5-6 weeks when I go in for color and root touch ups. Even though I'm letting it grow, this helps keep its shape and health and doesn't really slow down my growth rate that much.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file