Castor Oil and curly hair

YasminYasmin Posts: 10Registered Users
I was doing a search on Google regarding Castor Oil and curly hair.
I'm sort of in a quandary about it at the moment.

My hair type is 3b and I use organic castor oil on my ends with no problems but my friend has 3a curls and castor oil doesn't agree with her.
My other friend has 4b curls and she LOVES I mean REALLY LOVES what castor oil does to her pony puff.

So this is my question - What hair types like castor oil? (the pure stuff not PEGs stuff)

I don't want to suggest castor oil to my gang of curly girlies only to find that their curls don't like.

I would appreciate any help on this - as I am not a curly hair genius (just yet :wink: ) I just know what works for my curls.

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    It's one of those not so good ingredients so I tend to avoid it.
    3b-3c CG
  • YasminYasmin Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thanks for your reply but, well, I know that Castor oil is a no-no for some curlies but not for all.
    This is what I'm trying to establish - what types is it good for?
    Personally I can't live without it and my hair is a mixture of 3b & 4a at the back near my neckline.

Not all curlies dislike it so I'm trying to figure out which ones.
    Sorry if I didn't explain my question correctly..
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    It seems to me that the very very curly people like it the most. I haven't tried it (am a wavy). But I know some people here love the stuff. I understand it's important to get the real natural cold-pressed etc. castor oil. My hair really does like oils so I might give it a whirl someday.

I think if you check on the 3B and up forums, and esp. the 4 forum, you'll find curlies who can give you feedback on castor oil.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    (From an Indian web site)
    Castor oil restores the health of hair that has suffered damage through the use of chemical dyes or overuse of hair dryers

Castor gets a bad rep because it is so tacky and rather thick. Never use it alone on dry hair -- but when mixed with a lighter oil it loses its tackiness and can be used on dry hair as a pre-poo treatment either like that or mixed with honey mixed with conditioner to emulsify. I use it on my wet ends (a very thin film scrunched in) before or after gelling, and it dries totally non-greasy and allows hair to retain moisture longer. I also use a small drop with Set it Free as a 2nd day fluffer/finishing pomade. It's good stuff for hearty curls. And it's an ingredient in tons of hair products.[/quote]
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • NutmeganNutmegan Posts: 3Registered Users
    I'm a 3a/3b curly and I love several products that contain castor oil. It gives my dry curls more moisture and enhances the definition. My favorite product (also very affordable) is Suave Captivating Curls Spray Gel. It boosts the curls and gives sculpted definition to your hair until your next wash. It's best on damp hair. You can use a little more on days you don't wash to enhance curls that are a little limp or frizzy. It creates volume and bouncy without leaving your hair sticky. I hate sticky hair. It's very thick, but it contains no alcohol or sulfates. I live in a dry climate and this stuff seals in the much needed moisture to make my hair spiral.
    3a/3b curly, golden honey blonde, medium/long hair, air dry and scrunch, aveda curly layered cut
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair just HATES it unless it has PEG in front.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    I have 4a/b hair with some 'perma-fuzz' on top, and my hair really likes castor oil. I had all but given up on oil until started using it. After I put on my mosturizer and shower, I rub about 6-10 drops on my hands and scrunch it gently thru my hair. It is moisturized and feels great all day. I repeat at night. Now that it is very warm here in New York, I am using jojoba which also works well. HTH
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair hates any castor oil-even peg'd!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • kinkycurlyDTkinkycurlyDT Posts: 380Registered Users
    I'm a 4a/4b gal and my hair loves castor oil. It is thick, however I use it only when I pre-poo. I gently message it into my scalp/roots and also rub some into the ends of my hair! I cant see using it at any other tine because it would be too greasy and too thick.
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair doesn't have a problem with it and some of my favourite products seem to contain it. I have never used it on its own, but it is often found in my favourite stylers.

Like so many things ... I don't think you can say it is for a certain hair type, but rather it is up to each individual.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • JoliePoetiqueJoliePoetique Posts: 178Registered Users
    I'm 3c / 4a and it is too thick for me. Olive oil is the thickest oil I can use.
    3c/4a, low porosity
    Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
    Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
    Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream :thumright:
    Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
    Butters: NONE! :sign6::puker:
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    FrizzBgone wrote: »
    My hair doesn't have a problem with it and some of my favourite products seem to contain it. I have never used it on its own, but it is often found in my favourite stylers.

Like so many things ... I don't think you can say it is for a certain hair type, but rather it is up to each individual.

I agree with this. Nothing is hair type specific. You really can't judge how well something will work by curl patten alone.

I'm a 3b/a mix. I just started trying it out for sealing. I really like it so far. My hair is soft, and it helps combat frizz.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    FrizzBgone wrote: »

I agree with this. Nothing is hair type specific. You really can't judge how well something will work by curl patten alone.

I'm a 3b/a mix. I just started trying it out for sealing. I really like it so far. My hair is soft, and it helps combat frizz.

Yep - sometimes you just have to try itself and see how it works for you. When you add in factors like your dewpoint, your water - you just cannot be sure if your hair will be ok or not. Gotta bite the bullet and try it.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    I love castor oil.

I use it as a sealant and it helps keep my hair moisturized for days. I use it on my edges to smooth them down after applying a little bit of conditioner when I don't want to use gel.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I love castor oil.

I use it as a sealant and it helps keep my hair moisturized for days. I use it on my edges to smooth them down after applying a little bit of conditioner when I don't want to use gel.
    +1
    I really like mixing a little in my hand with my leave-in conditioners....helps to keep hair soft for days!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file