Diff. between Coconut milk/oil???

I've seen a lot of posts about how good coconut oil is for your hair & then i see others about coconut milk!! What's the difference in what they do to your hair?!

Oh, & any recipes you have with the coconut milk is greatly appreciated since i just bought 2 cans of it!! Thanks!
<3 Steph (2B/3A)

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    coconut oil's an oil. coconut milk is a fatty liquid, but not an oil.

Pre-poo conditioner ( I eyeball mix, so the measures are approx. Adjust ingredients as needed) 4-6 oz. of coconut milk, 1/4 cup of cheap conditioner, 3 tbs or more of honey, coconut oil (2-3 tbs). Mix together, work into dry hair, cover with a heating cap for 20-30 minutes. Shampoo or co-wash.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I use coconut milk as a deep conditioning treatment. I've only used coconut oil once and I did not like it. It's too greasy for me. I had difficulty rinsing it out of my hair.

As far as recipes go, you can make a Thai recipe with red or green curry and add vegetables such as red or yellow peppers and fruit like pineapple and include fish or chicken. Serve with rice.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • stephy1191stephy1191 Registered Users Posts: 14
    Thanks guys! lol & i didn't mean FOOD recipes but that sounds reeeaaally good though :] I'll have to try both the hair & food recipes yall gave me
    <3 Steph (2B/3A)
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Registered Users Posts: 697 Curl Novice
    Stephy,

Here's a thread with my favorite homemade DT made with coconut milk. It's a terrific DT! I hope you like it -- let us know if you try it.

And I agree about cooking a nice Thai curry or soup with the leftover milk for dinner. :chef:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=110993&highlight=rave+homemade
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • stephy1191stephy1191 Registered Users Posts: 14
    Thanks! I'm going to try that recipe once I get the avacado :]
    <3 Steph (2B/3A)
  • susancnwsusancnw Registered Users Posts: 1,374 Curl Novice
    I use the coconut oil around my eyes and mouth, heels and elbows and toenails and fingernails. I do want to try to coconut milk,

Now, where do I get a heat cap and how do I use it?
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• sessac81sessac81 Registered Users Posts: 690
    I use the coconut oil around my eyes and mouth, heels and elbows and toenails and fingernails

Sorry to bring this up since it's old, but I just noticed it. susancnw, what does it do for your eyes and mouth, etc?

As far as the heat cap, I bought mine from Jessicurl. It has gel packs in it that I warm up in the microwave and put back in. It velcroes around your head. I put on a DT, cover with a shower cap, then put the heat cap on. I've noticed a big difference since starting to use the heat cap with the DT. Here's a link to the one I have:

http://jessicurl.com/The-Microhaircap-pr-373.html
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file