What is the name of this color?

PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
Sort of a spinoff, but more because I don't want to guano, I noticed in PartyHair's "Whatcha wearin' today" thread that PH used "gray," and MzShvy used "grey." So it got me thinking... which one do people use? I'm a "grey" person myself. :lol:
Minneapolis, MN
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    one is a british spelling andthe other is American. Where are you from? ;)
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

• PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    FreeCurls wrote:
    one is a british spelling andthe other is American. Where are you from? ;)

America, but I love all things British, and even tried to convince my husband to move to London 8 years ago. :D
    Minneapolis, MN
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I use "gray" (obviously). I like the other spelling but I think it looks a bit affected coming from someone who was raised in a cornfield and now lives in south Texas. :lol:
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    to me Grey is more of a name (Like Earl grey) than a color except for when describing eye colour I think of grey. weird huh?
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

• gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I have always used grey and have never given it much thought. I grew up all over the world, so who knows where I picked it up.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Tonight I shall ask my cat what he prefers; he's grey/gray. :)
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    I use both. My mother is from England and my father from Canada, so between them and my American schooling, it is probably no surprise. I was able to break the "-our" habit (color/colour, neighbor/neighbour) but the gray/gray I can't seem to just stick to one spelling.

When learning to write my parents seemed to have forgot that I would be taught American English. :lol:
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    mazey wrote:
    I use both. My mother is from England and my father from Canada, so between them and my American schooling, it is probably no surprise. I was able to break the "-our" habit (color/colour, neighbor/neighbour) but the gray/gray I can't seem to just stick to one spelling.

When learning to write my parents seemed to have forgot that I would be taught American English. :lol:

I never did the -our, or the -tre thing, just seemed TOO affected for my little Midwestern self. :lol:
    Minneapolis, MN
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 208Registered Users
    Think 'grey, is English & 'gray' is American.
    Bit like 'colour' & 'color'.
    Dont know why though, with books, internet etc its all mixed up now anyway.
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I use them interchangeably, without thinking about it. And afterwards tend to look and go "huh, guess that's how I spell it today."
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    NetG wrote:
    I use them interchangeably, without thinking about it. And afterwards tend to look and go "huh, guess that's how I spell it today."
    Me too! Sometimes my fingers can't make up their minds and they type greay! :lol: LOL I often use the British spellings as well, but I was born and raised in Cali. :?: :D

PS - therefore, I can't vote. :P
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I've always written it grEy but when I'd do a spellcheck I'd be told it's grAy. GRRR
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    I lost an in-class spelling bee in fifth grade because I spelled it "grey." I've never forgotten that! I think I use them interchangably, but whenever I type "grey" I feel like a rebel!
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    I don't really care all that much - I like grey and I'm sticking to it! :twisted:
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file