CurlTalk

What type of styler gives you more clumps?

I'm curious, in general. If it's not the type of styler, just the styler itself, please share! =] I've been CG for over a year, and still have trouble getting clumpy. I have only tried gels so far, so that could be the culprit. :cherry:
3b-3c CG
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• CelebrationCelebration Posts: 134Registered Users
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] makes my hair clump the best. Honey mixed with water to rinse out my conditioner helps with clumping too.
    CG Since 2/06
    3a/3b, Coarse, Very thick, bra strap length and growing!
    Fotki Album

Mary Kay Beauty Consultant

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,251Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I voted gel, but I actually mix my gel with a little conditioner.
    I like the hold of a gel, but it seems to clump more when I add conditioner.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I should have responded "gel" since more of those work clumping wonders for me than anything else.

I accidentally responded "cream". :roll: The only one of those I found to give me shiny clumpy curls is Garnier Fructis Soft Curl. I use it in damp hair so it can be distributed since it's on the thick side.

What other problems are you having with gel; too stringy, too hard, too drying?

Some I have to apply while my hair is wet so I can get the squishing sound & fat clumps, otherwise it's too difficult to distribute when the gel's on the thick side. Some I have to apply when my hair is darn near dry; runnier types, otherwise they get watered down too much in wet hair. Most I have to use a conditioner left in and/or mixed in to prevent the dry feeling. And if they're too hard, that can be scrunched out, but can also be toned down with some conditioner mixed in.
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Apparently I'm not allowed to vote in these polls anymore. :? Whenever I see one nowadays it's the results, not the voting options, as though I've already voted in it - even if it's a new poll like this one, that at the time had no answers.

But I would have answered cream - the biotera creme I'm using right now gives me great clumping so far. :)
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I voted cream, because I think Boots is a curling creme.
    2b/3a.
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    I voted 'other' for mousse. JoiWhip mousse gave me the clumpiest curls I've ever had.

I've also found that regardless of product, using it on soaking wet hair makes for better clumps.
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 695Registered Users
    So far, LOOB is the one product that reliably gives me good clumping and seems to promote spirals. I've just started using SheaMoisture leave-in CO and that seems to be clump-enhancing too.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • Katina128Katina128 Posts: 560Registered Users
    Katina, 3a redhead with spirals/waves
    My Faves:
    CJ CCCC Lite, Mirracurls gel, Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    I vote other for technique. No matter what styling product I use, twisting my hair when it's wet gives me big clumps.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • rejoicingcurlygirlrejoicingcurlygirl Posts: 654Registered Users
    3A; I have HG products!
    Curl enhancer: Mop-C curl cream
    DT: Deva Heaven in Hair; JC WDT
    Gel: B&A; Arc Angel
    Conditioner: Deva OneC; JC too shea
    Frizz fighters: CK, JCS C&S
    PW: curlynow
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I voted other because, apparently it is a cobination for me. For the last week and a half I have been getting the best clumps and culrs I have had since I started paying attention to my hair. I use BWC leave in and SMU gel and I am loving my hair! :happy10:
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • embudiniembudini Posts: 580Registered Users
    Using no product makes my hair clump like crazy.
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users
    Apparently I'm not allowed to vote in these polls anymore. :? Whenever I see one nowadays it's the results, not the voting options, as though I've already voted in it - even if it's a new poll like this one, that at the time had no answers.

But I would have answered cream - the biotera creme I'm using right now gives me great clumping so far. :)

Are you logged in when you look at it?

One-C as a leave-in (seaweed style) gives me great clumping.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • asleep to audioasleep to audio Posts: 2,085Registered Users
    realistic wrote:

Hey! You're a genius! I had the same problem!
    I think this is because lately, I've been getting logged out randomly a lot. I know this has happened to other people. Anyways, so I think I'm logged in, but I'm not since it logged me out. :?

CoN green, HE hello hydration, burt's bees super shiny condish, & KCCC.

mostly 3b, mod CG

Smiles are free, so give them away.

Celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet, for certain.
    Oh, and the best thing is probably cream, but I've yet to find the perfect solution. Although, brushing when wet gave me decent clumpage when I tried it yesterday.

mostly 3b, mod CG

• ParasolParasol Posts: 291Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Not only the product ,but also the styling technique has a lot to do with how my hair will look in the end. But I find either a fluid product or mousse best.

Parasol wrote:
    Not only the product ,but also the styling technique has a lot to do with how my hair will look in the end. But I find either a fluid product or mousse best.

Which styling product will give you the best clumping?

mostly 3b, mod CG

• ParasolParasol Posts: 291Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Okay ,I had the best clumped curls ever when I applied Nivea alcoholfree mousse to wet hair and brushed with a paddle brush.

• JorgelinaJorgelina Posts: 169Registered Users
    I voted "other" because I think it's the combination of gel (I use it on top of the leave-in conditioner) and a brush.
    "I know sometimes I might seem so ugly, and maybe I really am. I know that I'm not that easy to ignore when I'm really mad..."

Instagram

Twitter

Flickr

My album

My Hair Timeline
  • NotinabottleNotinabottle Posts: 303Registered Users
    Jorgelina i Lo-o-o-ve your hair. I've never seen your fotki before but it's fantastic.

The best clumps i've had so far were with joiwhip, unfortunatly it stops working for me after about a week of use. Also la looks durahold. So thats an other and a gel!
    3a/b Thick, dry, in need of a haircut.
    HG's: Giovannia Smooth as Silk Conditioner and Aura Hypoallergenic Gel.

Whee a fotki!/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FNotinabottle%2F" class="Popup
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    woops! I knew I forgot to add mousse.

Well my main problems with gel are stringiness and some of them dry crunchy. I don't like to scrunch the crunch becuase it just creates more frizz/volume.
    When I leave in regular conditioner in my hair, I get a weird buildup experience, so I leave in coconut oil.

Thanks everyone! Ab-star, I love your new bangs! Did you cut them yourself, or what technique did the stylist use to cut them?
    3b-3c CG
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    I need an "I don't know" vote. I'm not sure what makes my hair clump more on some days than others. Weather maybe???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • Ab-starAb-star Posts: 1,128Registered Users
    JuicyTube wrote:
    Ab-star, I love your new bangs! Did you cut them yourself, or what technique did the stylist use to cut them?

Thank you! :) My stylist cut them and I honestly have no clue what she did...I had my eyes closed, lol! Next time I'll try to pay attention (although I just gave myself a trim the other day).
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    realistic wrote:

One-C as a leave-in (seaweed style) gives me great clumping.

Hm, I actually have been having issues now that I have a new laptop for college (yay!) with that log me in every time option - thanks for pointing it out. :)
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    For me, creams or thick gels give the best clumping. Mousse, thin gels, or gels with a lot of protein give me thin clumps.
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    I would say creams, I get the most clumpiest curls from PM the conditioner.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,477Registered Users
    I voted creams. Whenever I leave conditioner, leave-in or something like GF Soft Curl Cream, I get much clumpier curls.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB