spin classes

Ava79Ava79 Posts: 159Registered Users
I heard one class burns 700-1000 calories. Is this true? Does anyone spin?

Comments

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    I take spinning sometimes. It's an hour long, and you're working pretty hard the entire time. I would guss that's a bit of an overestimate, but not too much. I mean, when I do the eliptical for 30 min it says I burned 300 something calories, so spinning for an hour I'm sure burns at least double that!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • jessiebirdjessiebird Posts: 10Registered Users
    Here's a link to a humor column I wrote about spinning class, "The Workout I Love to Hate":

http://www.jessieraymond.com/page/page/1049654.htm

I think it's a great workout, although I haven't been doing it much lately. Sometimes I'm just not up for that much enthusiasm!
    3a/3b very thick, very coarse at crown. Growing out short cut as of 1/05! Pass: curly
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    the classes are GREAT and really get you in shape and i've found they help you get better and build endurance for other cardio (like running).....try it!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • Ava79Ava79 Posts: 159Registered Users
    I tried a spin class, and SWEET PICKLES... it was tough. It was really a work out. I sweated right through my WHOLE shirt. HAHA, it looked like I showered in my shirt. THE AFTERMATH: my rear is very sore from the seat. :(

If you are in good enough shape to try it... TRY IT. It may help you lose those last stubborn 10 lbs.
    jessiebird wrote:
    Here's a link to a humor column I wrote about spinning class, "The Workout I Love to Hate":

http://www.jessieraymond.com/page/page/1049654.htm

I think it's a great workout, although I haven't been doing it much lately. Sometimes I'm just not up for that much enthusiasm!

GREAT COLUMN!!!!!
    it doesn't take long to build up endurance...keep it up..it's mildly addictive. i've found that 2-3 classes per week is my max to keep it fun...i took 4 in a week once and by the 4th class it wasn't fun....it was drudgery...i mix it up w/ other cardio on other days....i think if you only do one type of cardio you run the risk of injury or over or under working some parts of your body. oh and you can buy cushiony seat covers if the seats on your bike are bad. they are pretty inexpensive and worth it if you're going to stick to it. i bought one but they they got new seats so i don't need it now. they seat soreness usually goes away after 1-3 classes...
    Thanks, Ava!

I haven't been doing much spinning lately, but I have two alternatives I like. One is to do intervals on the treadmill. One of the models at the gym has all kinds of programs in it. The interval one lets you pick the length and intensity of both the running and walking periods, plus the total number. I find it easier to run 30 min if I alternate with fast incline walking. And it burns a lot of calories, at least according to the LED readout.

I also take a Friday morning cardio/strength class. It's a very fast-paced class that alternates 3 min. of cardio with 3 minutes of weight lifting. It's a pain because you need a spin bike plus a weight bar with several different weights plus free weights and a step bench. But what a class! The split squats with a bar is really whipping my butt into shape. Wow.
    It's not as high-energy as spin. What is? But it keeps you from getting bored, a major problem for me.

I would agree that spinning does get kind of addictive. But I prefer to mix things up.
    3a/3b very thick, very coarse at crown. Growing out short cut as of 1/05! Pass: curly
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Posts: 821Registered Users
    I spin at least two times per week. Three would be optimal. No class challenges me like spinning. Regardless of your level of fitness it ALWAYS kicks butt!
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
    That is a good thing about spinning: you can take it at whatever pace you are comfortable.
    do you girls wear spinning shoes or just your regular tennis shoes? i see people w/ the shoes but for only 2-3 classes/wk i'm not sure if it's worth it.
    Hi Stacy,

I use regular cross trainers, but I am such a novice, and I see no reason FOR ME to buy shoes since there are universal straps on the pedals. My brother is an avid biker so he uses his bike shoes that are compatable with the spin bike pedals. I suppose it may be worth it if it provides comfort and stablity that a regular shoe cannot provide.
  • canelacanela Posts: 218Registered Users
    what can a novice expect? I been wanting to try it, but I am now afraid since I am in no such good shape. tips
    Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
    "Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
    my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen
    Get to class early, watch other people to see how to set up your bike, ask the instructor for help when he/she gets there, and keep the resistance level lower than you think you can do. Just try to make it through the class. Make sure the instructor knows you're a novice.

I think spinning is a great class for the novice, because you don't have to follow any steps, and people can't tell if you're messing up!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • spiderman5000spiderman5000 Posts: 673Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Now what body parts does spinning help? I assume it really works out your bum...
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Posts: 678Registered Users
    Thighs and quads get a good workout. Arms can too depending on what the instructors does.
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
    Now what body parts does spinning help? I assume it really works out your bum...

It helps firm up your legs and bum, but it's also just great cardiovascular exercise, so you'll burn fat from all over.

I think I may get back into spinning this fall. My gym has been doing construction all summer, and for the last month or so their class schedule has been seriously lacking. They're supposed to be done in a few weeks, though, and have lots more class space: a studio just for spinning, and a studio just for boxing. I just hope the classes are at times I can do!
    i'm now a cycle instructor for 24 hour fitness!!!

i love it, it's the best workout...you really burn and everyone can do what's best for them so if you're having a rought day you can just scale back on your intensity.

the keys to staying with it in my opinion are:
    - find a time that works for your schedule (most classes are an hour and a shower afterwards is required)
    - find an instructor who plays music you enjoy or make music suggestions if you really like the instructor (most good instructors will take your music suggestions)
    - find an instructor who teaches in a style you like (some instructors are boot camp style, while some are more "nurturing and you can do it" types, some do a lot of different things such as climbs, speed, relays, jumps, etc. and some tend to focus on less variability during the ride)

CYCLE IS GREAT!
  • spiderman5000spiderman5000 Posts: 673Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Awesome. I think I might start next week. There are three classes during the week that start at 530 in the morning. I'm up at that time so that's perfect.

Also, can it be hard on the back?
    the lower your handlebars the harder it is on your back...true cyclist like to get the handles really low cause it helps with them racing (think lance armstrong)...i recommend people have a neutral position (about the same height as your seat)....but if you really don't want to have to bend over very much then raise the handlebars...

the thing to remember is the handlebars are just there for balance...you should not be hovering over the handlebars or leaning on them excessively.....i constantly remind people the workout is in your legs....leaning on the handlebars takes away the fun and often leads to poor form. listen to the instructors cues about form and if you have questions ask!! good form reduces the chance you'll get an injury and ensures you'll come back to class :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file