does anyone else find honey drying?

galagala Registered Users Posts: 16
I've tried it in varying amounts and methods.......drops (have tried 1-4) mixed w/ aloe gel and left in, mixed w/ condish (varying amounts) and rinsed out, melted in water as a final rinse, and the last used as a rinse followed by a water rinse.
Every time I've been left with frizzy, tangled, crispy hair that is breakage-prone. The more I use and/or leave-in the worse. But even the tiniest amount still has a negative impact.
Obviously I'm not going to attempt honey for hair again, but I'm just curious about whether or not anyone else had a similar problem. Odd, all of the issues I got with it sound like the same issues protein-sensitive people get from protein ( I don't have a problem with protein).

Comments

• curlyjenncurlyjenn Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried any different types of honey? Honey that hasn't been fully processed does contain residual amounts of proteins from the plants.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • galagala Registered Users Posts: 16
    The only honey I've used is the store brand in a bear from Kroger. It's processed. And I don't think protein can be the issue; I use a couple of gels and a leave-in with high protein content, and days that I've used any of those (w/out honey) have been fine.
  • realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    The only time I tried honey I hated the results. It was like I dipped my hair in rubbing alcohol. I'm afraid to try it again.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • CurlyChrisInTheSticksCurlyChrisInTheSticks Registered Users Posts: 40
    I read on a thread on long hair community that mixing water with honey releases hydrogen peroxide. It is in the natural coloring thread.

I found that interesting, and it may explain some of the problems some people have with it.
    CurlyChrisInTheSticks
    Shoulder Length Brunette
    3a/3b
  • linseedlinseed Registered Users Posts: 5
    it depends on the environment u live in. i've read (in an article from this website) that since honey draws moisture from its surroundings, if u live in a dry environment, the honey will draw the moisture from ur scalp instead of the dry air
  • LovemylocksLovemylocks Registered Users Posts: 766
    I know that I am posting here late, but I have had that same effect with honey. So many people rave about it, but it makes my hair very sticky and straw-like feeling. I am protein sensitive and I thought honey would be a good thing for me. I added it to my conditioner right in the bottle. I did not think that too many curlies could be wrong about it. I am tired of watching everything that goes on my hair. That honey made my hair very dry and a Bee otch to detangle.

-Nicki (not your honey lover) :afro:
    3C s-curls, coils, and corkscrews

TIGI MM, QB AOHC, KCCC, MJ CM, MJ BBC, JC WDT, CD HM, CD MHH, DC OneC, Veg Glyc, and Jojoba oil.

http://members.fotki.com/gypsycurls/

http://www.ratedpink.com

prheart.gif
  • taflogtaflog Registered Users Posts: 130
    it did the same thing to my hair so now when i use it i mix it in with egg white and yogurt.(Protein tx.)
  • LovemylocksLovemylocks Registered Users Posts: 766
    taflog wrote:
    it did the same thing to my hair so now when i use it i mix it in with egg white and yogurt.(Protein tx.)

Sounds nice!
    3C s-curls, coils, and corkscrews

TIGI MM, QB AOHC, KCCC, MJ CM, MJ BBC, JC WDT, CD HM, CD MHH, DC OneC, Veg Glyc, and Jojoba oil.

http://members.fotki.com/gypsycurls/

http://www.ratedpink.com

prheart.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file