I really need help!

Just to prepare you, this is a really long post, so you might need a snack :happy1: just to read it. Sorry. :tweety:

Hi. :hello2: I've been reading posts all over the place and I am so confused. :crybaby: I know many people on this website do not care for the DevaCurl line of products, but I did purchase them, so I am looking for advice from anyone who does use them and/or has knowledge of how to use them.

I did read the CurlyGirly book. Unfortunately, the book was written before the DevaCurl product line existed, it seems. Some folks on here have been kind enough to try to help, but I must be dense, because I still don't know what I am doing :oops: (embarrassed). I have only been a CG for one week, so I have had to endure all these Shirley Temple comments and/or strange looks from my co-workers, but I am determined to love my curls. If the DevaCurl line does not work for me, so be it, but I must try it for awhile, since I laid out the cash for it. My hair is kinda layered and just about at my shoulders when it is dry, and the top is shorter, with bangs -- eek.

Maybe if I just write my questions and number them, that will make it easier if anyone is kind enough to respond. :idea1: If you want, you could describe how YOU use the products and how often, if that is easier. Believe me, I will be watching this thread (is that what it's called, a thread?) for days.... :clock:

After I post this, I am going to take a nap, because I spent so much time on this website last night that I went to sleep really late and could hardly keep my eyes open at work (not to mention what a grouch I was). :evil1: :coffee: My hair looks rather startled right now, so I need to hide under the covers for awhile. :sleepy5:

I should tell you that I don't wet/un-poo my hair every day. No matter how it looks, I wear it for about 2-3 days (I am brave, huh?) :happy5:

Here goes: :help:

1) What is the purpose of the No-Poo?

2) Do I use the No-Poo on my scalp AND on my hair?

3) Am I supposed to use the No-Poo every time I wet my hair or just occasionally?

4) Am I correct in that I am supposed to use the OneCondition always?

5) When I use the OneCondition, am I supposed to clean my scalp with it as well, or am I supposed to keep if off of my scalp?

Oh my, that is enough questions for now. Anyone will need the patience of a saint to answer me. :angel5: Oh, yes, I did watch that teeny-tiny DVD that came with the Travel Kit, but it wasn't detailed enough for me, I guess. :scratch:

Thank you in advance fellow curlies! :salute:

Your help will make me happy :brilsmurf: to be vivaciously naturally curly!

Comments

• KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    O.K. --It's the blind leading the blind here but this is my understanding of it:

1. The purpose of No-Poo is as a replacement for shampoo that contains sulfates. If you absolutely feel you must shampoo (instead of co-wash), use No-Poo. I bought some myself but haven't used it. I'm kind of planning to only use it the day I go to my hairdresser because she was kind of grossed out when I told her I hadn't been using shampoo. I've been co-washing with Suave Naturals since I've read a lot of people on this site recommend it.

2. The directions say to "distribute to scalp and ends using a circular massaging motion on the scalp to eliminate dirt and product residue. Gently work product through hair with fingers" So I guess you are supposed to use it on the scalp and on the hair.

3. I think you can use it every time if you feel you have to, but I've heard a lot of people saying to co-wash and only use it occasionally.

4. I think so, but I'm a little confused about conditioners, too, because the book says not to bother with a "leave-in" conditioners and just use regular (wash out) conditioner. (So why do they sell [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-BLeave-In-p-434.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-bleavein]B'Leave-in[/buylink]?) I really don't know if OneCondition is too much to use as a co-wash.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME AND UNPOOF. WE'RE CLUELESS!!!!
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    1. No Poo is basically a conditioner w/ peppermint (a cleansing agent). LM says some people can't psychologically accept the idea of washing w/ a real conditioner so she created No Poo...a conditioner that cleans a little but isn't called "conditioner."

2. Yes, you're supposed to use it the same way she tells you to cowash (wash w/ conditioner) in the book.

3. In the book, she says to cowash only about once a week...if you wash/wet your hair every day. The other six days should be water washes. Most people seem to cowash (w/ No Poo or regular conditioner) a lot more frequently than that, though. I can get away w/ using Suave (very light) everytime but I'd get overconditioned using No Poo that often. No Poo is a little too conditioning for a cowash IMO, so I rarely use it. But you have to experiment w/ it yourself.

4. Yes, you use the One C (or some other very moisturizing conditioner) every time.

5. By the time you get to the conditioning part of wash, your scalp should already be clean...from water or, No Poo, some type of nonsulfate shampoo (Low Poo) or co wash. One C can be your cowash and your conditioner but you'll probably get overconditioned if you use One C for both cowashing and conditioning on the regular.

You didn't ask, but I found Low Poo to be a better investment than No Poo...to be used only occasionally. And I found [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-BLeave-In-p-434.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-bleavein]B'Leave in[/buylink] to be useless. But I don't use DevaCurl products exclusively. My favorites in the line are One C and Set it Free. But I use products from several different lines. Suave Naturals (must be the Naturals line), White Rain, and V05 (especially the Moisture Milks line) are all good, cheap, conditioners for cowashing. Some have protein and others don't...so there's something for everyone, depending on what your hair likes. Personally, I find V05 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream and Suave Naturals Coconut to be the best for cowashing. In a pinch, I'd even use those two to condition. I prefer these over No Poo for the fact they don't overcondition and because they are cheap and easy to find.

Anyway, LM is supposedly coming out w/ an update to the CG book, so we'll all know better then.

• KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    So spidey, what do you use as a leave-in? I just found out that my Humectress is a no-no.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • ParasolParasol Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 291
    3. In the book, she says to cowash only about once a week...if you wash/wet your hair every day. The other six days should be water washes.

Where does she write it in the book?? In the wavies section? I'm corkscrew and I didn't read that anywhere. Could you tell me what page in the book?

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Well thank you both!! Little by little we are getting there. :study: I am going to digest all of this and see what works for me. It is making a little more sense now than before.

Too bad we can't get LM to answer our questions about her products without having to wait for her to update her book!! In the bookstore, I see on one of the endcaps that they have curly hair books displayed. I can't tell if they are trying to get rid of them, or if they are preparing for a new book release. Spidey, where did you hear that LM is doing an update?

I have both No-Poo and Lo-Poo (I got tired of going back to the store and reading the ingredients and the directions, so I just picked up what they had there...). They kept asking me, do you need help? And when I inquired about the products, they weren't very knowledgeable. I didn't want to appear like a fixture in the store (I think they thought I was a shoplifter), :shock: so I thought, let me just buy it all, take it home, and experiment. Kind of an expensive investment, but I have spent more than that trying to find comfy shoes. :laughing9:

I'm still not sure about the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-BLeave-In-p-434.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-bleavein]B'Leave-In[/buylink]. I thought I had less frizz with it than without it, but I'm not sure. I keep alternating using it with not using it to see. I never seem to be overconditioned--my hair is very thirsty. :coffee2: I tried the Set It Free, but I think I used too much. So many products, so few days off to try different combinations. :walk:

Don't get me wrong, I would not hesitate to use other products, especially cheaper ones at that. But I can't nix the Deva stuff just yet, especially as I'm only learning how to use it.

KurlyKaren, you are not so blind as you think you are. Will keep on truckin' and report back. See, right now, I am not as concerned as much with how my hair looks, but with its comfort level. :viking:
  • LovemylocksLovemylocks Registered Users Posts: 766
    Spiderlashes5000 and Parasol, I have been to both of your websites and have seen your hair. You have very beautiful hair and have been on an amazing journey. So, the advice that you are giving and clearing up for my two buddies KurlyKaren and Unpoof will help them tremendously. I am already being helped by just reading the posts myself.

Thanks so much, this information is helping me as well on my quest for finding a routine/regime that works for my hair!

-Nicki
    3C s-curls, coils, and corkscrews

TIGI MM, QB AOHC, KCCC, MJ CM, MJ BBC, JC WDT, CD HM, CD MHH, DC OneC, Veg Glyc, and Jojoba oil.

http://members.fotki.com/gypsycurls/

http://www.ratedpink.com

prheart.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file