Milia

MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I started getting these about 10-15 years ago.
Annoying little buggers!

Does anyone else have milia on thier skin-especially the face?
What do you do?
Exfolliate?
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa

Comments

• munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hate to admit but I had to google this to see what it is. I do get them on occasion. I just had a facial a month ago and was told we should all exfoliate, I think she said, once a week. The site I read about milia on indicated exfoliating could help.
    3b/c
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had to google too. I think I have them but didn't know the term. Mine are not that visible above the skin, like these, but I can see them under the skin.

I guess exfoliating helps.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have a few little ones under my eyes. I never knew what they were called.
    Mine are probably caused by sun damage.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mine are pretty tiny,and fairly spread out,not in clusters.
    (I'm sure most people don't notice them at all,but of course,I do!)
    My dr told me he could zap them for me,he does it for his wife.

-Mother Theresa
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    I had to google milia, too, and I have them too. I thought they were a part of having adult acne.
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    laser is the safest way to dispatch them - for extreme cases, doctors used to have to cut the skin to get the oil deposits out. i suspect the scarring was worse than the milia.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • cjccjc Posts: 636Registered Users
    I have them too..under my eye area. What do you exfoliate them with? Any certain product? TIA
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You really don't want to exfoliate the eye area...does more harm than good. One of the better things to prevent milia is to avoid oils and heavy moisturizers in the eye area...just use very light serums. Once you already have milia though...not much to be done I think. Laying off the oils and heavy moisturizers might allow them to clear themselves though.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have them, just didn't know what they were. Guess it's time to exfoliate.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow, I have something that looks similiar to these (only not so many) underneath my eyebrows! I'm always taking my tweezers and just popping them. Some of them seem to be almost like teeny tiny blisters, some feel like they're more like a teen tiny whitehead. Unless what I have is different than milia :lol: .
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You really don't want to exfoliate the eye area...does more harm than good. One of the better things to prevent milia is to avoid oils and heavy moisturizers in the eye area...just use very light serums. Once you already have milia though...not much to be done I think. Laying off the oils and heavy moisturizers might allow them to clear themselves though.

Fortunately,I don't have any around my eyes!

-Mother Theresa
  • NuttyNutty Posts: 20Registered Users
    Getting rid of the heavy detergents in face and hair cleaners helped me, and using cococut oil on my face (any oil) seems to help loosen them. I'm sensitive to stuff like fabric softener anyway, however, so I tend to pay close attention to how my skin reacts to things.
    I had milia over my whole face, now I am down to like 15%, mostly on my cheeks.
    My dermatologist said "Wash like man! Use Dial soap! And get some sun!". I kid you not.
    2C/3A
    No Poo! No Product!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file