CurlTalk

Finger Detangle vs. Wide Tooth Comb

Peace2Peace2 Posts: 23Registered Users
Hi. I CG. I have CGed for probably a year and a half now. And I do straight strict CG - no combs, no shampoo (except [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva no poo[/buylink]- like that counts), and I finger detangle my hair. Lately I have seen a lot of hair come out (especially if I haven't detangled in a while). My hair is dry. I'm thinking I need to go back to combing with a wide toothed shower comb.

What do you guys do?

Is it totally anti-CG to use a comb? Will using a comb disturb my natural curl formation like Lorraine Massey says?

Help.

Peace2

My 50% Cherokee/50% African-American pedigree produced: 3B/3C/4A, corkscrew curls, easy to detangle, Medium, thin-normal, dark brown hair.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    I don't think it's anti-CG if you comb. Even if you did a modified CG, it's still CG. You basically pay attention to what your hair needs. Some people have to use shampoo. So, they'll poo maybe once a month, and conditioner wash.

If you feel like maybe you need to comb your hair, then I would just comb it. I've tried not combing for a week, and my hair was a complete mess. As long as you comb the hair gently(from the ends to the roots), I don't see a problem. I've found that if I comb my hair damp(before I shampoo and condition) I have way less shedding than if I detangled with conditioner in my hair.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

DC metro area
  • KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    I don't use/do any of it. It's like my hair doesn't need it.

• kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    I mostly finger comb but once in a while (about every 2 weeks or so) I'll comb it out when I'm doing my weekly DT just because I feel like I should. Basically in case anything like loose hairs or tangles was missed by finger combing.
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    i pretty much exclusively finger comb, in the shower with conditioner in my hair. it takes some time but it detangles my hair well and distributes the conditioner well.

that said, i did bust out the wide tooth comb last weekend after months of not combing, and it did feel nice.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I don't think it's anti-CG if you comb. Even if you did a modified CG, it's still CG. You basically pay attention to what your hair needs. Some people have to use shampoo. So, they'll poo maybe once a month, and conditioner wash.

If you feel like maybe you need to comb your hair, then I would just comb it. I've tried not combing for a week, and my hair was a complete mess. As long as you comb the hair gently(from the ends to the roots), I don't see a problem. I've found that if I comb my hair damp(before I shampoo and condition) I have way less shedding than if I detangled with conditioner in my hair.

what she said... it's the exact same for me... and none of the poll options match me. I use a brush at night, pick in the morning and widetoothed comb when I wet my hair a bit before washing.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• niclarniclar Posts: 110Registered Users
    i finger comb for my daily co-washes. When I deep condition I detangle with a very wide tooth comb and follow that by going through my hair gently with a denman like brush. Its basically to make sure I catch all the shed hair. I do this only once a week..
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnicolelarri%2F2008%2F" class="Popup

PW: lovely
    Natural 4a/some 4b type hair, Thin, cottony coffee straw coils

Thought I found my HG (KKCC)..its good but Im sure there's better:wink:

Curls Milkshake current leave in, Fantasia IC w/Olive Oil gel for smoothing/shine, Curls Goddess Glaze for Twist/Braid outs.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,477Registered Users
    I mostly finger comb but there are times when I use a wide-tooth comb. My hair is on the thin side, so I don't have to use the comb often at all.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Both - finger comb a bit then use a wide-toothed comb when my conditioner is on. ;)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • blanclilablanclila Posts: 107Registered Users
    When my hair is long enough to tangle, it laughs at combs. Actually, it kills combs. Fingers aren't as easily broken. 8)
    wavy / coarse / thick
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    Lol,blanclilla I agree!! I answered the last option btw. :wink: I usually just finger comb/rake, but every once in a while my tangles just start to gang up on me and I have to get out the wide-toothed shower comb while i've got conditioner in, and remind them who's boss. :P
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • mitabirdmitabird Posts: 226Registered Users
    I usually finger comb only, but if I'm not wearing my hair curly, I'll use a comb.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls