Calling all Hot and Humid Curlies...

jr33176jr33176 Posts: 59Registered Users
How do you combat the frizzies in hot and humid weather? I am all the way down in Miami and it seems by noon, my hair has a light halo of frizz all around it.

I would like to purchase products that are successful for this type of weather -- especially since I deal with it year-round. :confused5:
3a/3b hair
current products: No HGs but liking One C & C.O. Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Condish; rotating among Sebastian Potion 9, Seb. Hi Contrast, Joiwhip

"...still curly after all these years..."

Comments

• c1aritac1arita Posts: 4Registered Users
    Try using an anti-humidity hairspray. There's a 12-hour one by Aussie that I've been using lately with all the extra humidity from the rainy weather. I just use it after my regular styling products and it keeps the frizzies away all day! I have to touch up for the next day, but it's not so heavy that it weighs hair down or makes it too crunchy. HTH :afro:
    ~~Shirley Temple Curls~~
  • rejoicingcurlygirlrejoicingcurlygirl Posts: 654Registered Users
    I use CK which seems to really help in the humidity. Also I avoid touching my hair, i never realized how much i did until I tried not to. HTH
    3A; I have HG products!
    Curl enhancer: Mop-C curl cream
    DT: Deva Heaven in Hair; JC WDT
    Gel: B&A; Arc Angel
    Conditioner: Deva OneC; JC too shea
    Frizz fighters: CK, JCS C&S
    PW: curlynow
  • ACHACH Posts: 245Registered Users
    CK beat the humidity for me this year! If I was going to be stranded on a dessert island and could only take one thing CK would be it! .... gives me an idea for a fun thread...
    Amy
    2b/3a-ish at times
    http://public.fotki.com/AHopewell1/hair/
    PW hair

Currently using
    Jessicurl HCC
    Aloeba
    CK
    AG Liquid Effects
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ACH wrote:
    CK beat the humidity for me this year! If I was going to be stranded on a dessert island and could only take one thing CK would be it! .... gives me an idea for a fun thread...

I agree with the CK for fighting frizz. The "desert island" thread has been done and hardly anyone could take just thing :lol: !
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • jr33176jr33176 Posts: 59Registered Users
    Okay, looks like CK will definitely be on my list to purchase! Thanks everybody.
    3a/3b hair
    current products: No HGs but liking One C & C.O. Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Condish; rotating among Sebastian Potion 9, Seb. Hi Contrast, Joiwhip

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CK is nice, so you may want to try it. My current favorite now is Sebastian Hi-Contrast gel. It's holding up very well to the 90% humidity we routinely have here. I haven't even needed CK under it, just a little leave-in. You should be able to buy this locally.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bailey422 wrote:
    CK is nice, so you may want to try it. My current favorite now is Sebastian Hi-Contrast gel. It's holding up very well to the 90% humidity we routinely have here. I haven't even needed CK under it, just a little leave-in. You should be able to buy this locally.

What are the ingredients?
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    water (aqua), vp/dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate copolymer, hydroxypropyl starch phosphate, polysorbate 20, hydrolyzed wheat protein, hydrolyzed soy protein, panthenol, polyquaternium-10, peg-12 dimethicone, hydroxyethylcellulose, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum), potassium sorbate, citric acid, ethylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben, amyl cinnamal, benzyl salicylate, limonene, ext. d&c violet 2 (cl 60730), d&c red 33 (cl 17200), fd&c blue 1 (cl 42090)
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • sonnysonny Posts: 467Registered Users
    curlkeeper didn't work for me and i live in the deep south, i use a leave in and brhg
    We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people. ~.Martin Luther King Jr
  • ACHACH Posts: 245Registered Users
    sonny wrote:
    curlkeeper didn't work for me and i live in the deep south, i use a leave in and brhg

...feel like I should add that I use BRHG over CK. Seems to be a good combo.
    Amy
    2b/3a-ish at times
    http://public.fotki.com/AHopewell1/hair/
    PW hair

Currently using
    Jessicurl HCC
    Aloeba
    CK
    AG Liquid Effects
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    Sadly this has lots of proteins in it so it's a no-no for me. Anyone have any CK-no protein alternatives?
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bailey422 wrote:
    water (aqua), vp/dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate copolymer, hydroxypropyl starch phosphate, polysorbate 20, hydrolyzed wheat protein, hydrolyzed soy protein, panthenol, polyquaternium-10, peg-12 dimethicone, hydroxyethylcellulose, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum), potassium sorbate, citric acid, ethylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben, amyl cinnamal, benzyl salicylate, limonene, ext. d&c violet 2 (cl 60730), d&c red 33 (cl 17200), fd&c blue 1 (cl 42090)

Thanks! Where do you find this?
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Lots of high humidity gel usually does the trick for me
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • cjccjc Posts: 636Registered Users
    I also live in So Fl and use tons of Garnier Fructis Leave-in and layer it with Volumax Gel. It seems to work for me but always looking for something better. Also not sure if the gel is CG.

DominicanaHeat..what brand of humidity gel do you use?
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Jr1176, you may want to check out some of the posts from laurabeth33. She lives in FL and has done an incredible job of researching hair products.
    Yes, I saw that she recommended Seb. Hi-Contrast so I am going to try that for sure. Do you know when she plans to put out her reviews of style products? I don't remember what she said. I did read through her conditioner chronicles and will avoid those she said do not work as well in the warm weather. :wink:
    3a/3b hair

• curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you just moved south? Just wondering if you've had a climate changing move.

I combat heat with a leave-in and humidity with a hard hold gel. I live in TX, by the coast.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • DDRunnerDDRunner Posts: 31Registered Users
    I tried the Aussie 12 hour that C1arita recommended and I am very happy with the results :cheers: It goes on light and does not leave my hair stiff. With all the humidity here in Florida it has been working wonders for me :bounce:
    2B/3A?? Newbie trying lots of new products thanks to all the info from my "curlfriends"
    I haven't tried it but i think someone reccommended the Ouidad climate control gel.........
    3A; I have HG products!
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    I haven't tried it but i think someone reccommended the Ouidad climate control gel.........

Thats what I was thinking too- but it does have cones.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • jada1111jada1111 Posts: 829Registered Users
    If you don't feel like running through bottles of expensive [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink], then might I suggest the following:

Pureology Antifade HoldFast Gel - This stuff will hold your and definitely keep out frizz. It won't look or feel stiff in anyway whatsoever. It's concentrated and a few pumps is all you need to distribute. Will last awhile.

Back To Basics Firm Hold Gel and Graham Webb Making Waves Curl Defining Gel - these two are basically a tie. I find that they hold up against the morning "fog" in Los Angeles, which is really considered light humidity.

It can't hurt to try any of them and the best part is that they can be found at your local beauty supply. Also, if you plan on using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink], it's best to use a leave-in with it.
    Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
    I've loved all these suggestions! I'm beginning to realize that it could be my condish that is causing the problem... While I was at Ulta picking some of these things up to try, I also bought Devacurl OneC. Wow! What a difference! My curls looked great. Even on the 2nd day; even on the 3rd day! ("Really?" my DH said. Grr... :angry2: )

But, since others have recommended alternating with other condish, I tried the PM again. Guess what, droopy and frizzy again!

Do I have it right? Is it better to also use other condish on different days than the Deva One? What else?
    3a/3b hair

• kurliekatie84kurliekatie84 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Please tell me more about this Devacurl stuff...I have serious year round humidity problems too being in South Louisiana! Where can I get it? I'm from New Orleans but am currently living in Baton Rouge to go to LSU...there's a serious lack of places to buy quality hair products other than drug stores here. Is it something I could get there or would I have to order it or something? Just curious.

Thanks to whoever started this thread, it's been very helpful :)
    hi kurliekatie84!
    I am also a fan of OneC. You can purchase it online at naturallycurly.com or at Ulta. You can also use the website

http://devaconcepts.com/

there is an option to find a retailer near you by entering your zip code.
    HTH
    3A; I have HG products!
    Excellent! Thanks so much!
    Hi Kurliekatie84,

I purchased my Deva One Condish at Ulta. They only had 2 bottles out, so I was happy to find it. I've never tried it, but I'm 95% certain that just using the conditioner alone will not stop my hair from frizzing. But, using it does help my curls to look better than any other conditioner I have tried.

To help with the frizz factor, I have been playing around with different styling products. So far, I'm finding that Joiwhip works great every time although by late afternoon, I do need a "spritz" of something to get rid fo the frizz. I've also been somewhat happy with a combination of Sebastian Potion 9 and BRHG. Sometimes, I get frizz a little sooner than with the Joiwhip and other times, it has lasted as long as the Joiwhip. I guess so much depends on the weather and how much outside I am.

good luck finding the conditioner!
    3a/3b hair

Thanks! Very helpful advice. I'm pretty sure I'll have to order it on the internet, but I generally find that's usually the best way to find specific things you want lol.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file