How can I do a DT/deep condition on DRY unwashed hair?

RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
Please tell me anything you do as a deep condition *before* you wash your hair. I'd like to be able to apply something to my dry unwashed hair and leave on overnight or maybe while I exercise? and then rinse out later. Does it work to put stuff on hair if it already has leave-in and gel from your last shower?
I was thinking that if I put a DT or something into my hair, then braid it or put it up and then do my workout/go for a run, it might work sort of like a heat cap. What could I put in my hair besides just oil that might work this way?
2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
Seal with camellia oil
Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
Homemade food-based DTs
RC color

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is my favorite way to deep treat because it saves me the "rinse and repeat". These are great for my hair

Ojon Restorative Hair treatment - dry hair overnight. Or any oil treatment.

These 2 I use a microheat cap with for 30 minutes before shampooing--
    Anita Grant Rhassoul conditionr with coconut milk (or just get rhassoul clay and some oil)
    Coconut milk, cheap conditioner, honey, castor oil, coconut oil - mixed together
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    SBB,
    Do you think it would be too icky/messy to do one of these during exercise? I'm trying to streamline my haircare and like you to avoid the rinse & repeat thing; taking two showers and having to hang around the house for hours with gunk in my hair between the showers makes me antsy.

BTW, I just got some Shea Moisture leave-in -- you are largely to blame for this. :wink: I haven't tried it yet but I like the smell and it felt good on my hands. I'm thinking of trying this as an overnight DT, mixed with some regular condish or aloe or something to thin it out. Sound reasonable?
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I also use the Ojon Restorative Hair treatment, I use it weekly, apply to dry hair, then sleep on a towel. I wash it out the next day. If I don't do an overnight, I'll apply it 20 minutes before I shower and at times, I use it lightly on my ends, it's definitely all purpose and worth the cost.
    2b/3a.
    SBB,
    Do you think it would be too icky/messy to do one of these during exercise?
    I've had Ojon in my hair during workout. People will look at you because they will smell it. With the other's I have to wear a plastic cap and tuck that beauty salon cotton bunting to catch the drippies: not a good look.
    BTW, I just got some Shea Moisture leave-in -- you are largely to blame for this. :wink:

I'm passing the blame/credit to EchoKitten; she got me using it :cheese:
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Oh, Crap. :cwm21:

SBB, you can pass the buck to EchoKitten on the Shea Moisture, fine -- but because of YOU I just read three long threads of raves for the Ojon Restorative stuff. I'd seen it mentioned here before but never paid any attention. Now that I've read all about it, you KNOW I have to order this stuff! It sounds amazing, and the scent as described sounds right up my olfactory alley.

Gol-durnit, I have a closet full of products, I haven't even tried the Shea Moisture, and I'm already jonesing for the next and most $$$ of all. Grrr!

But thanks for your feedback on the dry-hair DT. I'm gonna give it a try overnight with the SheaMoisture. And I can wear the stinky stuff on my head when I go running without bothering anyone. :brilsmurf: [CurlySmurf with DT on hair under plopping towel, reeking of coffee grounds and tobacco leaf]
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    If you are near a Sephora, go in and ask for a sample.
    comic-p.jpg

I can find a way to get near a Sephora -- probably tomorrow! Great idea, thanks. :wink:
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • bemebebemebe Posts: 32Registered Users
    Suburbanbushbabe i just posted a review on anita grants rhassoul deep condish...i love her products..

really good all round deep condish. i didnt get on to well with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]too shea[/buylink] either
    mish mash of 3b/3c on the top and 2a at the nape of neck
  • Hairblogger â„¢Hairblogger â„¢ Posts: 564Registered Users
    Any of the following oils would make a great pre-treatment:
    Jojoba Oil
    Coconut Oil
    Castor Oil
    Olive Oil

*I've also heard the Ojon treatment was pretty good. just trying not to cave on any new products right now though... :clown:
    'Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book' devotee 4life!

Co-Wash: Aubrey O. HoneySuckleRose Cond.
    Poo: 1-2x ~monthly~ w/AO 'poo+Baking Soda
    DT: Honey + any Aubrey Condish
    Leave-Ins: Sheamoisture / RJML Cactus / KBBmilk!

[/COLOR]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file