Fine vs Course?

Before I discovered this site, I assumed that fine and course described the intensity of the curl and/or volume. I assigned fine to what I considered loose curl patterns all the way to straight hair, with courseness increasing with the tightness of the curl and other attributes such as shrinkage and volume. However, after perusing multiple forums, I noticed that in every hair type category there existed women that described their hair as both.

Which leads to my question: What is the difference between fine and course textured hair?
pw:krazycurls

Comments

  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's the actual diameter of the hair strand.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Good question because I have fine hair, yet it feels thick and sometimes coarse. In fact I should probably reassign my hair type to 2C/3A/3B :laughing9: . As long as I've been on this site, I still can't totally figure out what my hair texture is :roll: .
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I found this

    http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/hairtexture.htm

    Hair texture is the measure of the circumference of the hair strand itself. Professionals classify the texture of hair as being "coarse", "fine", or "medium". Coarse hair has the largest circumference, and fine hair has the smallest. Medium texture indicates a middle-range of the size of the hair shaft, it's considered normal and poses no special considerations regarding processing and chemical services. Coarse hair is stronger, for obvious reasons - it has more substance. However, coarse hair can also be harder to process, and can be resistant to haircoloring services, perming, and straightening. Fine hair, conversely, is often very easy to process, and can be over-processed easily and is susceptible to damage from chemical services.

    Hair texture varies from individual to individual, and can be different in separate areas of the same head. You may have coarse hair on the top of the head and fine hair at the nape of the neck. Race and ethnicity are irrelevant in determining hair texture, as coarse, medium and fine hair can be found among all racial and ethnic groups.


    I thought that if it was smooth and silky it was fine, and coarse if bumpier. I consider myself coarse haired. My individual hairs are thick, and they are also not that baby soft and smooth hair. I had thought that individual hair thickness wasn't related to texture, but reading this makes me wonder.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ITA w/ RCC about the definition. Coarse/fine describes the actual diameter of the strand. A lot of people also use these same words to describe the feel/look of the hair or texture. Generally, fine hair has thin strands and is naturally shiny. It usually lacks volume and is easily damaged by chemical processes. Medium strand size and texture is what is considered normal. Coarse strand size may resemble thick thread. It usually has natural sheen or even shine. Coarse texture (look, feel) usually means the hair, no matter how moisturized, may have frizz or not be completely smooth. On this board, however, most people use fine to describe those whose hair lacks volume and definition and coarse usually describes those with thick hair that is really curly, coily or afro that has a tendency to be dry.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've always had trouble deciding what my hair is. My individual hairs seem to be fine but I have a TON of hair so it looks voluminous and coarse.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

    Experimenting with BRHG

    "If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • MariposieMariposie Posts: 17Registered Users
    I've always figured that I have coarse hair because the individual strands have a large diameter and feel kind of like horse hair (as a rude boy in jr. high school so kindly pointed out years ago). Stylist always say my hair is coarse.

    It's interesting that we could all be talking about different things when we talk about fine vs. coarse hair.
    2c in back, 3a in front; coarse
    modified CG routine

    "Just because you are blind, and unable to see my beauty doesn't mean it does not exist."
    -Margaret Cho
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    I have always thought that texture is the diameter of the hair strand. My DH has very fine baby hair. My hair is very coarse. Thinness/thickness of hair to me always meant the quantity of strands. Therefore when I describe my own hair I say thick(as in alot of strands) and coarse (as in thick individual hair strands). When I describe DH I say thin and fine, like baby hair. I am envious of his texture, it is so silky. He actually has a bit of natural curl too. But I cut it so short (I like very short on men) that you can't tell. If I had to hazard a guess, he's a very fine 2c/3a, but it has to be longer to see the 3a.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

    "Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

    "Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    echokitten wrote:
    I have always thought that texture is the diameter of the hair strand. My DH has very fine baby hair. My hair is very coarse. Thinness/thickness of hair to me always meant the quantity of strands. Therefore when I describe my own hair I say thick(as in alot of strands) and coarse (as in thick individual hair strands). When I describe DH I say thin and fine, like baby hair. I am envious of his texture, it is so silky. He actually has a bit of natural curl too. But I cut it so short (I like very short on men) that you can't tell. If I had to hazard a guess, he's a very fine 2c/3a, but it has to be longer to see the 3a.

    That would be how I would describe my hair as well. I have fine hair - very small in diameter. I also dont have alot of it (which is bad when it's fine) so I always say I have thin hair - meaning not a lot of it.
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So that would mean that I'm fine and thick? Since each strand is fine but I have alot of it.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

    Experimenting with BRHG

    "If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    RebelCurl wrote:
    Before I discovered this site, I assumed that fine and course described the intensity of the curl and/or volume. I assigned fine to what I considered loose curl patterns all the way to straight hair, with courseness increasing with the tightness of the curl and other attributes such as shrinkage and volume.

    Interesting that you say that-it sheds a little light on why many people assume that the curlier your hair is, the rougher the texture is going to be, or that the hair would necessarily be thick (in both the large diameter and having a lot of hair senses) on account of the amount of curl to it.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Magoo wrote:
    So that would mean that I'm fine and thick? Since each strand is fine but I have alot of it.

    It's possible. One can have fine individual hairs, but still have many hairs on the head so it would feel thick or make a thick ponytail.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Magoo wrote:
    So that would mean that I'm fine and thick? Since each strand is fine but I have alot of it.

    It's possible. One can have fine individual hairs, but still have many hairs on the head so it would feel thick or make a thick ponytail.

    I would agree with that as well.
    Central Massachusetts

    One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

    In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote:
    Magoo wrote:
    So that would mean that I'm fine and thick? Since each strand is fine but I have alot of it.

    It's possible. One can have fine individual hairs, but still have many hairs on the head so it would feel thick or make a thick ponytail.

    I would agree with that as well.

    Yep. I have baby fine hair, but enough of it that I burst open ponytail holder clips.
    Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
    DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
    Love the hair!
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Firelily, I can't even count the number of times that's happened to me too.
    :geek:
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

    Experimenting with BRHG

    "If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • RebelCurlRebelCurl Posts: 38Registered Users
    jeamaria wrote:
    RebelCurl wrote:
    Before I discovered this site, I assumed that fine and course described the intensity of the curl and/or volume. I assigned fine to what I considered loose curl patterns all the way to straight hair, with courseness increasing with the tightness of the curl and other attributes such as shrinkage and volume.

    Interesting that you say that-it sheds a little light on why many people assume that the curlier your hair is, the rougher the texture is going to be, or that the hair would necessarily be thick (in both the large diameter and having a lot of hair senses) on account of the amount of curl to it.

    I agree, this has definetely been an eye opener discerning perception/assumption from fact. I also thought that fine and course were subjective labels based on "manageability" and appearance. Little did I know that there existed a conclusive definition and rubric for each. I think that having products geared towards "course/thick hair" yield better results for me also contributed to my perception that curly hair is more course. Personally, I'm still not sure where my hair fits on the spectrum, but I do know that the strands are not uniform in texture, which probably means have a mixture of both. I can also relate to snapping hair holders which is why I've converted to thick cloth scrunchies for tieing my hair back.

    When I look at pictures from when I was younger (pre-perm days), it definetely looked as though I had more hair...or is it that my texture changed? In any case, my hair looked healthy, "heavier" as my mom likes to say ( she's convinced that if she was still taking care of my hair it would look 100 times better lol), and thicker. Even though its been 12 years since my last relaxer, I wonder if its possible that the chemicals permanently changed the texture of my hair slightly...or somehow I have less hair?? (sorry for the essay)
    pw:krazycurls
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    its the diameter of the hair strand or the amount of follicles on your head. You could have thick one and fine another or both fine or both thick. If you pull your hair back and the area of the circle of where you pulled it back is big then your hair is thick, if its very small then your hair is then.
    Keiko

    my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
  • rejoicingcurlygirlrejoicingcurlygirl Posts: 654Registered Users
    RebelCurl - I definitely think that hair changes over time, my hair is not nearly as thick as it was when i was younger (I blame it on hormones and my kids :laughing9:
    3A; I have HG products!
    Curl enhancer: Mop-C curl cream
    DT: Deva Heaven in Hair; JC WDT
    Gel: B&A; Arc Angel
    Conditioner: Deva OneC; JC too shea
    Frizz fighters: CK, JCS C&S
    PW: curlynow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file