Shape Magazine

AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
This month's Shape magazine has a makeover section, and in it is a girl with curly hair who wanted a more 'sophisticated' look, and so they straightened her hair. I think the stylist even said "sleek hair is more sophisticated". And the article implied that since she had curly hair she did nothing with it. It pissed me off some.

Comments

• cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    I always hate that. When I was first learning on proper hair care, everyone raved about this free-online book and so I looked it up.

http://www.richardsteinhair.com/bookcontents.htm

I don't like a lot of things he says, but what really upset me was this:
    FRIZZ

There are people who think they were born with frizzy hair, but "frizz" is really breakage that occurs in curly hair (whether that curl is natural or processed in). It must be cut off to be "cured."

Curly-haired people tend to be very rough on their hair in an attempt to wrestle it into manageability...and the curlier it is, the more they punish it for being so recalcitrant (and perhaps for being a subtle reminder of all the things in our lives that are not susceptible to our will). All this does is break it further...which makes it harder to manage--even to get a comb through...which breaks it further...and on and on.
    PLLEEESSEE, I have always been gentler to my hair then the average person and I have always battled frizz. Even when my hair was at it's healthiest I still had frizz.
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    And what? Straight haired people have no frizz? :angry4: That's just ridiculous. And the only way to manage frizz is to cut it off? Everyone should be bald then.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
    Oh hell no! Most curly haired people I know, (myself included) are better to our hair than those with straight hair. I never blow dry or straighten mine anymore. I always put plenty of conditioner and do conditioning treatments. Most of the girls I know with straight hair, blow dry it and use straightening irons (why I have NO clue). The answer for everyone with curly hair is not to cut it off, it's to quit listening to misguided people.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    but "frizz" is really breakage that occurs in curly hair (whether that curl is natural or processed in). It must be cut off to be "cured."

Guess he never heard of conditioner.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • LittleLisaLittleLisa Registered Users Posts: 16
    This month's Shape magazine has a makeover section, and in it is a girl with curly hair who wanted a more 'sophisticated' look, and so they straightened her hair. I think the stylist even said "sleek hair is more sophisticated". And the article implied that since she had curly hair she did nothing with it. It pissed me off some.

On all of the very few occasions that I straighten my hair, people always comment on how "grown up" and serious I suddenly look. So curly hair looks childish? :/
    LiSA
    copper-red, 3a corkscrews
    addicted to Fructis Curl&Shine Mousse :D

link to photos on flickr on profile
  • keikokkeikok Banned Banned Users Posts: 585
    I dont think straight hair looks more mature, I just think it looks fake. Even people with naturally "straight" hair isnt as flat and straight as some people who straighten it.
  • neonrainbowneonrainbow Registered Users Posts: 41
    keikok wrote:
    Even people with naturally "straight" hair isnt as flat and straight as some people who straighten it.

That's so true. I can usually tell the difference between naturally straight hair and straightened hair.
    keikok wrote:
    Even people with naturally "straight" hair isnt as flat and straight as some people who straighten it.

That's so true. I can usually tell the difference between naturally straight hair and straightened hair.

I can too! I don't know why this bugs me, but one of my good friends has straight hair all except for this little ripple on the back side of her head. She straightens it with a straightening iron, but always misses it. I don't know why it bugs me, maybe it's the perfectionist Type A personality coming out, but I just want to grab the straightener and do it for her!
  • neonrainbowneonrainbow Registered Users Posts: 41
    one of my good friends has straight hair all except for this little ripple on the back side of her head. She straightens it with a straightening iron, but always misses it. I don't know why it bugs me, maybe it's the perfectionist Type A personality coming out, but I just want to grab the straightener and do it for her!

:laughing9: I've seen the "telltale ripple" on so many girls.
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Registered Users Posts: 351
    lol...I always had the back of my hair rebel when I used to flat iron it too. Most of the people I see with flat ironed hair have stiff, fried, damaged hair. And it's always shorter in the back from being burned off. The longer you use the flat iron, the worse it's going to be.
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

I sent a comment to Shape today, nothing rude just saying they might want to educate themselves on curly hair and not imply that it's unprofessional.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    Cut off the frizz?! That sounds familiar.

While living in Arkansas, my stylist stepped away to take a call, I think, & her coworker told me all the frizz on my head was broken hairs & baby hairs that needed cut off! Boy was I glad she wasn't my stylist!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file