American Indian or Alaskan Indian
    Asian
    Black or African American
    Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
    White

and 2 main ethnicities:

Hispanic/Latino
    Non Hispanic/Latino

The ethnicity question should always be asked first, then the race question.

(I work in public health, and have to deal with this stuff ALL the time.)

okay, 2 main ethnicities? hispanic and non-hispanic? I mean, I'm not american, but that sounds ridiculous, there are way more "main" ethnicities.

I agree, but when collecting data it is going to get entered as Hispanic or Non Hispanic only almost all of the time. When people are collecting this kind of data, it is not in an effort to find out "what everyone is". It is to find out if people who are identified in a certain way (usually self-identified) have differences than other people.

Personally, I fully believe Race is ONLY a societal construct with no real firm basis in biology (this is supported in a lot of ways). But this doesn't change the fact that it is helpful to know, for instance, that "black" people receive less aid than "white" people, or that "hispanic" people often do not participate in aid programs.

If anyone is interested on how the government designates race and ethnicity, check out www.whitehouse.gov/OMB/fedreg/ombdir15.html

(link edited to hopefully it works!)
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,905Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The minimum categories for data on race and ethnicity for Federal statistics, program administrative reporting, and civil rights compliance reporting are defined as follows:

-- American Indian or Alaska Native. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

-- Asian. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

-- Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa. Terms such as "Haitian" or "Negro" can be used in addition to "Black or African American."

-- Hispanic or Latino. A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. The term, "Spanish origin," can be used in addition to "Hispanic or Latino."

-- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.

-- White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
    (found from Who Me?'s link that didn't quite work :wink: )

good thing we can check more than one
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    Hispanic or Latino. A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. The term, "Spanish origin," can be used in addition to "Hispanic or Latino."

The above definition is why most Brasilians (and all that I know) do not choose Hispanic or Latino on forms in the US. We check our "race(s)" and that is it.
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file