CurlTalk

Hispanic/Latino

alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
Okay, this term is one of my pet-hates. I just wanted to see what you guys think.

So not to taint the poll, I will leave my opinion out for a while….. :wink:

And to make this fun, the first person who knows where the original term "Latin America" came from you get a surprise! :P
We're all born mad. Some remain so.

br-flag1.gif
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    Cehua wrote:
    And to make this fun, the first person who knows where the original term "Latin America" came from you get a surprise! :P

From what I recall in my geography studies, there is no black and white answer to this question. The origins of the phrase "Latin America" have been widely debated for years in the geographic community and to the best of my knowledge, even experts in the field still squabble over where the phrase came from.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    mazey wrote:
    Cehua wrote:

From what I recall in my geography studies, there is no black and white answer to this question. The origins of the phrase "Latin America" have been widely debated for years in the geographic community and to the best of my knowledge, even experts in the field still squabble over where the phrase came from.
    There is an origin of the term and most geographers learn this during the first cultural geography class they take (at least all of the geographers I know who entered the field since the late 1990s and not only the ones at my school).

Hint: Cinco de Mayo

br-flag1.gif
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I thought the term Latin America was coined by Napoleon to empahasize that the region spoke a Romance language (Spanish, Portuguese and French are all Romance languages) as opposed to the mainly anglo roots of North America, and he knew the term Franco America would not be accepted. Napoleon was attempting to take over this region.
    I guess the Cinco de Mayo reference has to do with the fact that the Mexicans defeated Napoleon.
    Am I right?

I don't think Latino/Latina or Hispanic are races anymore than North American is a race - the region is highly mixed with African, European, Asian and aboriginal blood. It has always been understood primarily as a linguistic/cultural category in terms of the census, etc. However, there are many commonalities between people from Latin American countries (and also many differences - like Africa, it is a huge, diverse region) and I think most people have a stereotype of what a Latino looks like. For me, I will sometimes say I am mixed race Latina/African because in my mind they are two separate things and both my parents look very different, though both are from the Caribbean which is in L. America.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    I thought the term Latin America was coined by Napoleon to empahasize that the region spoke a Romance language (Spanish, Portuguese and French are all Romance languages) as opposed to the mainly anglo roots of North America, and he knew the term Franco America would not be accepted. Napoleon was attempting to take over this region.
    I guess the Cinco de Mayo reference has to do with the fact that the Mexicans defeated Napoleon.
    Am I right?

I don't think Latino/Latina or Hispanic are races anymore than North American is a race - the region is highly mixed with African, European, Asian and aboriginal blood. It has always been understood primarily as a linguistic/cultural category to my mind. However, there are many commonalities between people from Latin American countries (and also many differences - like Africa, it is a huge, diverse region) and I think most people have a stereotype of what a Latino looks like. For me, I will sometimes say I am mixed race Latina/African because in my mind they are two separate things, though both parents are from the Caribbean which is in L. America.
    Minha querida you get the prize!

A cyber beijo from me :kisses:kisses.gif (what more could you expect from a poor graduate student :lol: )

br-flag1.gif
    [quote="Cehua[/quote]

Minha querida you get the prize!

A cyber beijo from me :kisses:kisses.gif (what more could you expect from a poor graduate student :lol: )[/quote]

Beijinhos from me too, gatinha!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    This is an interesting write up I found.
    Though often used interchangeably in American English, Hispanic and Latino are not identical terms, and in certain contexts the choice between them can be significant. Hispanic, from the Latin word for “Spain,” has the broader reference, potentially encompassing all Spanish-speaking peoples in both hemispheres and emphasizing the common denominator of language among communities that sometimes have little else in common. Latino—which in Spanish means "Latin" but which as an English word is probably a shortening of the Spanish word latinoamericano—refers more exclusively to persons or communities of Latin American origin. Of the two, only Hispanic can be used in referring to Spain and its history and culture; a native of Spain residing in the United States is a Hispanic, not a Latino, and one cannot substitute Latino in the phrase the Hispanic influence on native Mexican cultures without garbling the meaning. In practice, however, this distinction is of little significance when referring to residents of the United States, most of whom are of Latin American origin and can theoretically be called by either word. •A more important distinction concerns the sociopolitical rift that has opened between Latino and Hispanic in American usage. For a certain segment of the Spanish-speaking population, Latino is a term of ethnic pride and Hispanic a label that borders on the offensive. According to this view, Hispanic lacks the authenticity and cultural resonance of Latino, with its Spanish sound and its ability to show the feminine form Latina when used of women. Furthermore, Hispanic—the term used by the U.S. Census Bureau and other government agencies—is said to bear the stamp of an Anglo establishment far removed from the concerns of the Spanish-speaking community. While these views are strongly held by some, they are by no means universal, and the division in usage seems as related to geography as it is to politics, with Latino widely preferred in California and Hispanic the more usual term in Florida and Texas. Even in these regions, however, usage is often mixed, and it is not uncommon to find both terms used by the same writer or speaker
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
    For me Hispanic/Latino is an ethnicity/cultural/linguistic group.

Hispanic to me means someone who speaks Spanish (e.g., Spain) and that excludes Portuguese and French speakers. Many people from Latin America that I know do not use Hispanic when referring to themselves *especially* if they live on the West Coast of the US. On the East Coast, it is more likely to be used interchangeably with Latino.

I have friends from Romania and Italy and they too refer to themselves as Latin meaning that they speak a Latin language. I never think twice about their usage because it is true.

If someone says he is “Latino” then I immediately think he are from a Latin American country.

None of these terms refers to a race as people from these countries can be of any arbitrary race.

As Amneris said, calling Latino or Hispanic a race is like calling North Americans a racial group. The same race and ethnicities that immigrated to the US also immigrated to Latin America. For example, there are people of Japanese descent in Brasil. To me they are Brasilian and Latin and I would not exclude them. A friend of mine who is Japanese Brasilian studied abroad in Utah (have not explanation for why she choose Utah LOL) and the people at her school did not believe her when she said she was Brasilian and Latina. She was hurt by this because Brasilian, not Japanese, is all of the culture she knew. BTW the people who said this to her were American (usually White or Black) or Mexican.

Another friend of mine is Jewish and she was born in Brasil to Polish parents. She is offended when people look at her blond hair and blue eyes and Jewish culture and tell her that she is not Latina enough (whatever that means) because she is not Catholic and she does not have the stereotypical features of a Latin person :roll: . And many of these people who say this *are* from Latin America!

I actually do not say I am Latina. I say that I have Brasilian heritage. I sometimes say that I am from a Latin culture but never say I am of Latin/Latino/Hispanic race because LATIN/LATINO/HISPANIC ARE NOT RACES. Just wanted to put that out there for the people who think it is...... :lol:

Many people (especially North Americans but also other people) forget that Latinos have different customs, food, language/use of language, skin color, and hair color and texture. Even within the same country, we are different. Yet, this eclectic blend makes us special and unique. 8)

br-flag1.gif
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    According to the US government there are 5 main races:

American Indian or Alaskan Indian
    Asian
    Black or African American
    Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
    White

and 2 main ethnicities:

Hispanic/Latino
    Non Hispanic/Latino

The ethnicity question should always be asked first, then the race question.

(I work in public health, and have to deal with this stuff ALL the time.)
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • mafaldamafalda Posts: 510Registered Users
    OOps. When I put in my vote, I didn't even read what the title was. I thought it was asking if I was Latina and I voted yes. I didn't know the post was asking if one thought being a Latino/a was a race until I started reading what you very smart curlies were saying. You are absolutely right, being Latino/Latina is not a race, as anyone who has picked up a history book can discern. Very cool discussion.
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
    Who Me? wrote:

Asian
    White

and 2 main ethnicities:

Hispanic/Latino
    Non Hispanic/Latino

Exactly. I used to work for the BOC so although I did not do enumerations this stuff was common knowledge for the people who worked there. Sadly, so many people actually think it is a "race."

br-flag1.gif
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    I know it's not a racial classification but sometimes it makes things easier.

Technically I am hispanic (and that's the term I use other than dominican) because I'm from the island of Hispanola. However, I've always thought of everyone but Brazil & Belize being included in the hispanic classification and Latin being the umbrella term. I think latino is very much a west coast, mexican thing.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I think latino is very much a west coast, mexican thing.

I agree. No one in San Antonio/south Texas ever self-identifies as "Latino/a". If they have to somehow identify their ethnicity, they say "Hispanic".
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Cehua wrote:
    For me Hispanic/Latino is an ethnicity/cultural/linguistic group.

Hispanic to me means someone who speaks Spanish (e.g., Spain) and that excludes Portuguese and French speakers. Many people from Latin America that I know do not use Hispanic when referring to themselves *especially* if they live on the West Coast of the US. On the East Coast, it is more likely to be used interchangeably with Latino.

I have friends from Romania and Italy and they too refer to themselves as Latin meaning that they speak a Latin language. I never think twice about their usage because it is true.

If someone says he is “Latino” then I immediately think he are from a Latin American country.

None of these terms refers to a race as people from these countries can be of any arbitrary race.

As Amneris said, calling Latino or Hispanic a race is like calling North Americans a racial group. The same race and ethnicities that immigrated to the US also immigrated to Latin America. For example, there are people of Japanese descent in Brasil. To me they are Brasilian and Latin and I would not exclude them. A friend of mine who is Japanese Brasilian studied abroad in Utah (have not explanation for why she choose Utah LOL) and the people at her school did not believe her when she said she was Brasilian and Latina. She was hurt by this because Brasilian, not Japanese, is all of the culture she knew. BTW the people who said this to her were American (usually White or Black) or Mexican.

Another friend of mine is Jewish and she was born in Brasil to Polish parents. She is offended when people look at her blond hair and blue eyes and Jewish culture and tell her that she is not Latina enough (whatever that means) because she is not Catholic and she does not have the stereotypical features of a Latin person :roll: . And many of these people who say this *are* from Latin America!

I actually do not say I am Latina. I say that I have Brasilian heritage. I sometimes say that I am from a Latin culture but never say I am of Latin/Latino/Hispanic race because LATIN/LATINO/HISPANIC ARE NOT RACES. Just wanted to put that out there for the people who think it is...... :lol:

Many people (especially North Americans but also other people) forget that Latinos have different customs, food, language/use of language, skin color, and hair color and texture. Even within the same country, we are different. Yet, this eclectic blend makes us special and unique. 8)

We all make assumptions. Just this past fall, I was super-embarassed! I was at a musical theatre audition and a good friend was with me, and we met this woman who was a very recent immigrant from Argentina (where my grandfather is from) who my friend had met previously, and I was speaking to her in Spanish. My friend is Italian-Canadian and could basically understand us as she speaks Italian. Anyway, the conversation ended where she was saying she'd like to meet more Latin Americans and I invited her to come to the Spnaish mass at my church if church was her thing (assuming all Latin Americans are Catholic, as the vast majority are.) She got kind of uncomfortable and said it wasn't her thing. When she left, my friend told me I had made a huge faux pas... she was Jewish! I am embarassed to say the thought never crossed my mind. I haven't seen the woman since, but I really hope she doesn't think I was trying to convert her or disparaging her faith!!!!

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    We all make assumptions. Just this past fall, I was super-embarassed! I was at a musical theatre audition and a good friend was with me, and we met this woman who was a very recent immigrant from Argentina (where my grandfather is from) who my friend had met previously, and I was speaking to her in Spanish. My friend is Italian-Canadian and could basically understand us as she speaks Italian. Anyway, the conversation ended where she was saying she'd like to meet more Latin Americans and I invited her to come to the Spnaish mass at my church if church was her thing (assuming all Latin Americans are Catholic, as the vast majority are.) She got kind of uncomfortable and said it wasn't her thing. When she left, my friend told me I had made a huge faux pas... she was Jewish! I am embarassed to say the thought never crossed my mind. I haven't seen the woman since, but I really hope she doesn't think I was trying to convert her or disparaging her faith!!!!
    I am sure she would not think that :wink: .

I was not talking about the person who makes assumptions because we all do that. I am talking about the people who tell the people that if they do not look or act a certain way then they are not true Latinos. You were not doing that when you invited the person to Misa.

br-flag1.gif
    I know it's not a racial classification but sometimes it makes things easier.

Technically I am hispanic (and that's the term I use other than dominican) because I'm from the island of Hispanola. However, I've always thought of everyone but Brazil & Belize being included in the hispanic classification and Latin being the umbrella term. I think latino is very much a west coast, mexican thing.
    Yep, the library of Congress groups them together as Hispanic because I think it is easier for them to organize that way.

Being Brasilian we NEVER say Hispanic to describe ourselves and hardly say Latino (but that is for another reason as many of you know. <ducking from the apples being thrown at me>) :lol:

br-flag1.gif
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Cehua wrote:
    Who Me? wrote:

Asian
    White

and 2 main ethnicities:

Hispanic/Latino
    Non Hispanic/Latino

Exactly. I used to work for the BOC so although I did not do enumerations this stuff was common knowledge for the people who worked there. Sadly, so many people actually think it is a "race."

I would have to check on this, but I thought that it WAS considered a race until fairly recently.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
    Who Me? wrote:
    I would have to check on this, but I thought that it WAS considered a race until fairly recently.
    Perhaps in the US but if you actually go to Latin America NO ONE calls their race Latin/Latina/Hispanic. Everyone I know goes by Black, White, Native American, Asian, Pacific Islander, or a combination of two or all of the above.

It is the same as calling North Americans a race and I doubt anyone would do that. And obviously that North American is not a race but like Latin America, Europe, etc. it does have a culture in common.

The US only uses it to separate Hispanics from North American. It was not a category until there was a huge influx of people from Latin America. No one cared when a few Costa Ricans, Brasilians, Argentineans, etc. immigrated to the US.

It is more of a political (and social) than a scientific thing……

I am not sure if the term is used in Europe.

ETA: Race is such an arbitrary term anyway. During the 19th Century, Italians and Irish were each considered a separate race. :roll:

The idea of race changes with politics and society.

br-flag1.gif
  • SPRINGYSPRINGY Posts: 8Registered Users
    my hubby is mexican. when i talked to the cencus lady she ask what race my hubby was. then she gave me a list and he was not on it. so she marked him as other.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    thought the term Latin America was coined by Napoleon to empahasize that the region spoke a Romance language (Spanish, Portuguese and French are all Romance languages) as opposed to the mainly anglo roots of North America, and he knew the term Franco America would not be accepted.

He was probably right. Because when I hear Franco America my mind wanders and I start thinking about SpaghettiO's :wink:

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    SPRINGY wrote:
    my hubby is mexican. when i talked to the cencus lady she ask what race my hubby was. then she gave me a list and he was not on it. so she marked him as other.

Did you tell her that his race is Caucasian? I'm pretty sure that's where I would've gone with that.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Amneris wrote:
    thought the term Latin America was coined by Napoleon to empahasize that the region spoke a Romance language (Spanish, Portuguese and French are all Romance languages) as opposed to the mainly anglo roots of North America, and he knew the term Franco America would not be accepted.

He was probably right. Because when I hear Franco America my mind wanders and I start thinking about SpaghettiO's :wink:

:lol: :lol:

br-flag1.gif
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote:
    Alaskan Indian

We prefer Alaska Native :wink:
  • SadeckiSadecki Posts: 126Registered Users
    Kind of a guano, but...

I get slightly annoyed when I tell people that my mom is Polish Brazilian and people get this look on their face like I just told them my mom is from Jupiter. People do not understand it all! I tell people that it is like being Irish American! Whatever, I try not to get too involved.
    In Other Worlds, they Call me Taliska
    Michelle* wrote:
    Kind of a guano, but...

I get slightly annoyed when I tell people that my mom is Polish Brazilian and people get this look on their face like I just told them my mom is from Jupiter. People do not understand it all! I tell people that it is like being Irish American! Whatever, I try not to get too involved.
    I know how you feel!

I would think you were talking about my friend but she never had children.

I do not care so much about assumptions and mistakes but when you tell them the truth they act like you are lying. That bothers me. Why would someone lie?

Gisele B. is of German and Italian descent—is she any less Brasilian? Absolutely not.

Using her as an example, it is obvious that Gisele is of Latin culture not "race."

Saying that she is of Latin American "race" because she was born in Brasil is like saying that anyone born in the United States, Canada, Mexico, or Greenland (the last two are also a part of the North American continent) is of North American "race."

Then again, believing that Latina/Hispanic is a race is proof that race is a political and social construct. I am sure in a decade there will be another "race" of people. Or maybe the people in the future would be wise enough to get rid of such an arbitrary category.

Race is arbitrary. For me, my cultural heritage is more important than identifying with a race.

I am going to start categorizing people into racial groups according to their toe and head sizes. :roll: :lol: .

Michelle: sou filha da Brasileira também. :)

br-flag1.gif
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    Cehua wrote:
    Michelle* wrote:
    Kind of a guano, but...

I know how you feel!

I would think you were talking about my friend but she never had children.

I do not care so much about assumptions and mistakes but when you tell them the truth they act like you are lying. That bothers me. Why would someone lie?

Gisele B. is of German and Italian descent—is she any less Brasilian? Absolutely not.

Using her as an example, it is obvious that Gisele is of Latin culture not "race."

Saying that she is of Latin American "race" because she was born in Brasil is like saying that anyone born in the United States, Canada, Mexico, or Greenland (the last two are also a part of the North American continent) is of North American "race."

Then again, believing that Latina/Hispanic is a race is proof that race is a political and social construct. I am sure in a decade there will be another "race" of people. Or maybe the people in the future would be wise enough to get rid of such an arbitrary category.

Race is arbitrary. For me, my cultural heritage is more important than identifying with a race.

I am going to start categorizing people into racial groups according to their toe and head sizes. :roll: :lol: .

Michelle: sou filha da Brasileira também. :)

That is soo true. I get asked quite frequently... especially in the summer when I have a tan... what "I am". It is so rude. It happened to me last night as a matter of fact. It has also happened more since I have been wearing my hair curly. :wink: I guess I just have a *unique* look and people want to classify it... I just tell them I am American. I have a teeny bit of Native American in me, my great great grandpa was full blooded Native American.
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • Confused CurlyConfused Curly Posts: 229Registered Users
    As someone who is part Mexican, part Spanish, part French and part Euromutt... hell no! Franco America would not have been accepted. "Je ne parlais Francais!" Very few of us do.

Seriously, no I do not think Hispanic and/or Latino is a race as is defined by sociologists (ie Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid) - by that definition most Latinos are biracial or even triracial. There is no typical Latino look. On the West Coast most Latinos/Hispanics are Mestizo (Native + European). On the East Coast most Latinos/Hispanics are Mulato (African + European).

I was in NYC recently and no one spoke to me in Spanish. In fact they spoke Spanish right in front of me like I wasn't even there. It was kind of funny - especially since people spoke to me in Italian. My Italian is worse than my French.
    Michelle* wrote:
    Kind of a guano, but...

LOL! I sort of feel your pain. I get something different yet oddly similar. My mom is Mexican - a Mestiza - I look Southern European - probably because I am mostly Southern European :lol: - when I was a kid people would meet my mom and say - she can't be your mom, she looks SO MEXICAN - like it was a sin or something. Hello??? did I not tell them I was half Mexican. I don't hide it from anyone. :headscratch:headscratch.gif

That is so true when I was in NYC, the girl at Macy's started asking me questions because I had a Spanish last name. We had a nice conversation in Spanish. She was Dominican - racially black by the sociology scale. However, she and I saw each other culturally as "us". It was weird, I was really glad to meet her because I am used to people speaking to me in Spanish (assuming people speak Spanish) where I am. I missed "us".

One more guano question for the bi or tri-racial Latinas: what do you see yourself as?

When someone says "Latinas" I think of that as being me, however when someone says "White women" I also think of that as being me.
    Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.
    --Unknown, presumed deceased
  • browneyedgirl27browneyedgirl27 Posts: 10Registered Users
    Who Me? wrote:

Asian
    White

and 2 main ethnicities:

Hispanic/Latino
    Non Hispanic/Latino

okay, 2 main ethnicities? hispanic and non-hispanic? I mean, I'm not american, but that sounds ridiculous, there are way more "main" ethnicities.
    3a, brunette, long, medium thickness.
  • Confused CurlyConfused Curly Posts: 229Registered Users
    Hispanic/Latino was never a race in the US. I've been filling out census forms since 1980 because my mom only reads Spanish and we were "White" as far as race is concerned in 1980 and 1990. After "race" there was a box that asked if one is Hispanic or not. We would check the "Hispanic" box. In 2000 you were allowed to click more than one race so my mom and I became "White" + "Native American" and then we clicked the Hispanic Boxes.

As for Brasilians - I've never thought of them as Hispanic because they are not. They are Portuguese (+ whatever else). However, I have always thought of them as part of "us" if that makes any sense. I was told that the term Latino was coined in order to include Brasilians and the large population of Italian Europeans.

To the poster who assumed the Argentinian lady was Catholic, I would not feel bad. Yes, there are Hispanic Jews but the majority of us are either Catholic or Evangelical/Pentecostal Christian. The latter is more common among Central Americans.

I'm doing my thesis on Hispanic Marketing (that is the ad agency term), so all this is fascinating to me.
    Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.
    --Unknown, presumed deceased
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    Cehua, out of curiosity, are you of Latino or Hispanic origin?

On the county application forms I've been filling out, it asks you to pick the one you most identify with, and as I recall the choices are White, Hispanic, African American, Asian and something to do with Native American. I never pick one.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
    On the East Coast most Latinos/Hispanics are Mulato (African + European).

Confused Curly, mulato means mule (as in product of a horse (European) and donkey (African)) and it is quite an offensive term.
    As for Brasilians - I've never thought of them as Hispanic because they are not. They are Portuguese (+ whatever else). However, I have always thought of them as part of "us" if that makes any sense. I was told that the term Latino was coined in order to include Brasilians and the large population of Italian Europeans.

Nope, most Brasilians do not ourselves to be of Hispanic origin because that would mean Brasil was colonized by the Spanish. I am not quite sure what Spanish-Brasilians consider themselves since the Brasilian Census forms identify you by race and not ethnicity.

I am not sure if Latino was used to include the Europeans (German, Polish, Italian, etc.) population. I thought it was used to incorporate all people born in Latin America just as American incorporates all people born in the United States. But, Hispanic specifically separates the Spanish speakers from those who speak other languages. According to the BOC term, Hispanic includes Spain and any other country that speaks Spanish. Obviously, it is not looking at a race.
    mandyv wrote:
    Cehua, out of curiosity, are you of Latino or Hispanic origin?
    My mother is Brasilian. I was born and raised in the United States but went to college and spent summers in Brasil.

I do not check Latino or Hispanic on any form and neither does anyone else in my family. My mom does not consider herself Hispanic or Latina although she does not deny that she speaks a Latin language and grew up in a African influenced Latin culture.

She does not consider any Brasilian to be Latino as defined in the United States because by the Census definition says anyone with the origin from “Spanish-speaking countries.” Since, the definition did not include all people born in Latin America she assumed they did not mean anyone from the Portuguese or French speaking countries of Latin America.

Before the 2000 Census we (except my father) checked "other" for race and after the 2000 Census we checked "all that applied." :lol:

I never tell people that I am Latina but I do tell people, if asked, that I am part Brasilian. Many Brasilians that I have met also say that they are Brasilian and not Latina because of Brasilian pride. They do not want to be lumped together with the Spanish Speakers because so many people do not even know that the native language of Brasil speaks Portuguese.

Guano: I met a Puerto Rican lady who thought that Portuguese was a dialect of Spanish. I had to explain to her that it is a separate language just like Romanian and Italian are separate languages and not dialects of Spanish. :roll:

I met a Salvadoran guy who said that I was speaking bad Spanish (he was serious) :evil: . I was mad and told him that if he could speak Spanish correctly he would see that Spanish and Portuguese were separate languages. (Yeah, I know the joke that Portuguese is bad Spanish :roll: . We just say that Spanish is horrible Portuguese :wink: ).

I was in Brasil and a Californian couple were sitting in a cafe and the guy said that he did not speak Portuguese and the girl with him said that it is okay because Brasilians understand Spanish (some do and some do not) and it is all the same. :evil: So I told her that yeah if I went to Japan they would understand Chinese because it was all the same (she was of Japanese descent).

Fortunately, these people are the minority (I hope).
    I guess most Brasilians in the US do not want to be considered Latina because of the connotation that Latina=Spanish speaking and although there are some cultural similarities there are many differences and we are proud of out uniqueness and do not want to be lumped together. Sort of (not exactly) like Canadians do not want to be lumped together with the United States culture or Quebecois (sp) who want to keep a separate identity from the rest of Canada.

Another Guano: Are people form Equatorial Guinea (formerly Spanish Guinea) considered Hispanic/Latino to other of you Hispanics and Latinos out there?

br-flag1.gif