Car seat on which side?

PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
I'm planning to stop by the fire station today to get some help installing my car seat properly, and I wanted to see which side everyone preferred their car seat to be on. I planned to put it behind the driver's side, so that I won't have to walk around the car to get the baby in and out. Plus, I sit pretty far up since I'm so short, so there will be plenty of floor space for the diaper bag and everything.

My sister keeps my nephew's car seat (he's 2) on the passenger side because she says she can see him better this way.

I'm still leaning toward putting it on the driver's side, but thought I'd throw the question out there to see if I got an overwhelming response for the other side. Thanks in advance!
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Would it be very inconvenient for you to put it in the middle? I heard that's the safest place in the car, so that's where I was planning on putting mine. I guess I'll have to see how hard it is to get the seat in and out when I get to that point.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    We keep ours in the middle. I figure it's the safest spot.

If you don't want the middle, there are arguments for both sides. Driver's side seems to be a bit safer, as some studies have shown whoever is behind the wheel tends to instinctively be more protective of that side of the car. Passenger side is easier to see, and it also makes it easier to get the baby out of the car on the curb side, not on the traffic side (which we ALWAYS do, for safety)
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote:
    Would it be very inconvenient for you to put it in the middle? I heard that's the safest place in the car, so that's where I was planning on putting mine. I guess I'll have to see how hard it is to get the seat in and out when I get to that point.

I think I read that too. I suppose it would be possible. I got this mirror to view the baby from the front seat, and I think I need to hook up the mirror to one of the headrests, which there isn't one in the middle seat. I guess I just wanted to see what most other moms on here do, but if it is much safer I could definitely do the middle.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    geeky wrote:
    We keep ours in the middle. I figure it's the safest spot.

If you don't want the middle, there are arguments for both sides. Driver's side seems to be a bit safer, as some studies have shown whoever is behind the wheel tends to instinctively be more protective of that side of the car. Passenger side is easier to see, and it also makes it easier to get the baby out of the car on the curb side, not on the traffic side (which we ALWAYS do, for safety)

Good point geeky! Although, where I live I very rarely have to worry about street parking.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    If it's just about the mirror, I am sure you can get a suction one or figure out another way to attach it.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PixieCurl wrote:
    I think I read that too. I suppose it would be possible. I got this mirror to view the baby from the front seat, and I think I need to hook up the mirror to one of the headrests, which there isn't one in the middle seat. I guess I just wanted to see what most other moms on here do, but if it is much safer I could definitely do the middle.

FYI, when I went to have Chas' car seat installed they said not to use the mirrors. They said to think of it as a flying object that could shatter and hit the baby or you if you are in an accident.

Of course, this could happen with any objects that are in the car.

If you go to a fire station. They will tell you that middle is always the safest. Not sure what you do when you have two kiddos.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I always heard the middle was best, but what if you have 2 car seats?

Right now I have the nearly 2 year old in the middle and my 4 year old's booster seat on the passenger side. I've always wondered if that was right, but I'm too paranoid to put my younger one by the door.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Middle is safest. My new car doesn't have a middle seat, so the baby is behind the passenger seat. I might switch her to behind the driver's seat, simply based on how I park my car when I get home.
    Thank you for all the replies! I'll go with middle :)

And if I do use a mirror, I'll just get a different one.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I always thought, along w/ being rear facing, that it HAD to be in the middle.

With the infant seat I have Bella in, I'm actually able to have her in the middle, and Bailey on the side.

If you absolutely can't fit two carseats like that, then you don't have a choice BUT to put them on the outsides.

Bailey's car seat was in the middle until we put Bella in there too.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    Got it installed, and it's in the middle. The fireman said the same thing about the mirrors not being a good idea because they're not tested for safety and could fly off and hit the baby in case of a collision. It freaks me out a little, the idea of not having one - especially because as I drove home I couldn't see the seat AT ALL in my rearview mirror (but if I tilted the mirror I could see the back part of the seat, that faces the front of the car). But, I trust what the fireman said.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Pixie - depending on what kind of car you have, you might find the middle seat hard to get the kid (or infant seat) in and out of. I'm 5ft tall, and pretty petite and I had a lot of trouble hoisting him (especially in the bucket) when DS was in the middle seat of our CRV. I'd have to put the bucket (or him) down on the side seat, then climb in and then put him into the seat. I actually lost my balance and fell over once in a great Mommy moment.

So after a while, his seat was moved over to the driver's side which is where it is now. Baby #2 will go over to the other side.

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We started with my oldest in the middle. When we added #2 it didn't really matter. When we had #3, it was difficult to fit all 3 in a Prizm, so #1 didn't have a full booster.
    We didn't have mirrors, and it was nervewracking when I was driving, because I couldn't see him. There were times (often) when he would just scream and scream when we were driving at night. Something about the dark, I think. It was nice to have him in the middle then because I could easily put my arm around and reach his face and stroke it.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a headrest mirror in the back so I can see Bella. I had one w/ Bailey too. They're made for babies, so they're not made of actual glass. They're like a plastic material. It can bend and stuff.

I wouldn't be able to drive without a mirror so I could see them! It would totally freak me out!

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    I like quentin behind the drivers seat that way if we are going somewhere the one not driving can reach back to the baby. That and when max was a baby there was this woman in K.C. that had someone almost take her baby when she put him in behind the passenger seat and walked around the car so when that happened I was glad max's seat was on the driver's side.
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    OK, I'm going to admit to being a bad mommy here.... We started out with Connor's car seat in the middle, because I'd read it's the safest. But now that he's older and heavier, that makes lifting him in and out much harder. I finally broke down a couple weeks ago and moved him to the driver's side backseat. He weighs like 20 lbs, plus the weight of the seat, which is a heavier model. No guilt trips please!
    ehLB.jpg
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    sarah42 wrote:
    OK, I'm going to admit to being a bad mommy here.... We started out with Connor's car seat in the middle, because I'd read it's the safest. But now that he's older and heavier, that makes lifting him in and out much harder. I finally broke down a couple weeks ago and moved him to the driver's side backseat. He weighs like 20 lbs, plus the weight of the seat, which is a heavier model. No guilt trips please!

Sheesh! I was bracing myself for you to say that you strap him to the roof of the car with all that bad mommy talk! :lol:
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    LOL, no not that bad. But everyone else sounds like a bunch of hardcore middle car seat users!
    ehLB.jpg
    Pixie - depending on what kind of car you have, you might find the middle seat hard to get the kid (or infant seat) in and out of. I'm 5ft tall, and pretty petite and I had a lot of trouble hoisting him (especially in the bucket) when DS was in the middle seat of our CRV. I'd have to put the bucket (or him) down on the side seat, then climb in and then put him into the seat. I actually lost my balance and fell over once in a great Mommy moment.

So after a while, his seat was moved over to the driver's side which is where it is now. Baby #2 will go over to the other side.

I'm going to give it a try like this and see how it goes. The fireman did say that while it has been shown to be safer to put the seat in the middle, it's not THAT big of a difference, so if I need to move it, it will still be okay.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I do middle because it's safest, and I have a plastic mirror.

I do find it a little hard reaching in and out to put baby in and take him out, and I'm 5'2".
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    I do middle because it's safest, and I have a plastic mirror.

I do find it a little hard reaching in and out to put baby in and take him out, and I'm 5'2".

It can be a little difficult. I have an SUV, so it's really hard for me to lean in. I remember bonking Baileys head on the roof a couple of times. You get used to it w/ practice.

• kimberly jkimberly j Posts: 153Registered Users
    We started out with the car seat in the middle and I didn't have a mirror (I bought one, but it kept falling over in the back seat, so I could never see her anyway). I could reach back and rub her head or put her pacifier back in if need be. When she outgrew the infant carrier and we switched to the 3-in-1 infant/toddler/booster seat, I put the seat on the passenger side. I can see her if I look around (and yes, I unfortunately turn around more than I should while driving!), but I usually drop my rear-view mirror now to see her. I drive a Honda Civic, so it was difficult to attempt to lift her in and out of the car from the middle. If we have a second child, I don't know what we'll do as I don't think my car is big enough to fit two carseats next to one another. We'll cross that hurdle when we get to it though!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file