Flaky gel.

What is it that makes gel get flaky? I bounce back and forth between Biotera and Aura gels and wondered why occasionally do they flake? I have tried with and without a leave in, a little, a lot... and everything in between. It doesn't always happen and I never know when.
Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren

Comments

• asleep to audioasleep to audio Posts: 2,085Registered Users
    Not sure why, but I think it has to do with the way it dries. I think that if it's not clear, it has a higher chance of flaking since it's colored when it dries.

Kay, that made no sense, but it was my attempt.

CoN green, HE hello hydration, burt's bees super shiny condish, & KCCC.

mostly 3b, mod CG

Smiles are free, so give them away.

Celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet, for certain.
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    I actually understood what you were trying to say. But both of those gels are clear.... :laughing9: so I'm not sure.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • MariposieMariposie Posts: 17Registered Users
    It seems like no matter what gel I use, it flakes, even if I only use a relatively small amount. I wonder if it's something about how I apply it. :dontknow:
    2c in back, 3a in front; coarse
    modified CG routine

"Just because you are blind, and unable to see my beauty doesn't mean it does not exist."
    -Margaret Cho
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'd really like to know the answer to this, because I've tried quite a few gels now, and sometimes I've been pretty heavy handed with them, but I've never had any flaking. What would make a gel flake on one head but not on another? It doesn't make sense to me.
    On the other hand, no matter what I do I still get crown and/or surface frizz, so I guess I should be grateful that at least I don't get flakes as well as the frizz.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file