Spinoff: Horror Movies

Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
What's scarier to you? Why?

And I apologize in advance for my examples--feel free to name more!
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Whether weapon-wielding maniacs or supernatural or whatever, it's psychological horror that freaks me out, as opposed to "here's a guy with a hacksaw, see who he attacks next." I picked the first one because it seems to have *more* psychological stuff in general, though it's not a hard and fast rule by any means.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    Supernatural ones by far. I was scared for WEEKS after watching The Ring alone one day - not one of my most brilliant ideas. The Exorcist also scares the crap out of me. I have no problem watching hack and slash movies though.

I'm not really sure why. I mean, I think my chances of getting hacked to pieces by a psycho killer are higher than becoming possessed by a demon and vomiting pea soup after my head spins 360 degrees. So, really, I oughta be more afraid of the serial killer type ones.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • papayahedpapayahed Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    Yep, the supernatural ones scare me the most.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    MizKerri wrote:
    I'm not really sure why. I mean, I think my chances of getting hacked to pieces by a psycho killer are higher than becoming possessed by a demon and vomiting pea soup after my head spins 360 degrees. So, really, I oughta be more afraid of the serial killer type ones.

See, I think the movies with a maniac in the woods with a chainsaw are really scary, because I'm afraid that said maniac is going to get me. I have NO fear of, say, watching a video that will kill me (was that The Ring?) or my house being posessed or something. The Ring did not scare me at ALL.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • LisaAnnLisaAnn Posts: 436Registered Users
    MizKerri wrote:
    Supernatural ones by far. I was scared for WEEKS after watching The Ring alone day

Sissy girl!

Most definetely supernatural. I also prefer those that have more psychologial horror than real blood and gore. Your mind can come up with much more scarier things than a gory chainsaw can any day.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Supernatural, especially demonic ones. I just don't mess w/ satan. I believe that you're just letting that stuff into your house when you watch it. The Ring was THE WORST!! I don't know why. Watching that girl crawl out of the t.v. totally bugged me out. When the Ring II came out, I wasn't expecting it. One day I was just watching t.v. and on came the commercial. I turned and screamed as soon as I realized what it was. Then I started crying. I wish I never saw that damn movie. I hate scary movies!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • mawiyahmawiyah Posts: 34Registered Users
    You'd probably be crying after seeing Ring II upon the realization that you'd wasted time and $ on a really baaaaaaad movie. I'm still mad about how terrible that movie was! :x
  • fig jamfig jam Posts: 2,555Registered Users
    I believe the original (1962?) version of "The Haunting" set my taste for life. Psychological, supernatural, eerie, brilliant.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    Psychological for sure. Only stuff that can really happen scares me now that I'm a grown-up. I still get that scary feeling when I watch scary movies at the points when you're supposed to be scared, but I don't feel scared when those movies are over. The movies where the premise could be real horrify me (I guess that's why they're 'horror' films, hmm?). But they don't even have to be real horror films, like Monster. That is the scariest movie I have seen in awhile, because it showed the depravity of a real human being. I'd be more scared to meet her on the street than Freddy Krueger (sp?). But 'old' films that really scared me are

Kujo
    Carrie
    The Shining (I can't watch the whole thing at one time)
    Nightmare on Elm Street (the first one was the only really scary one)
    The Bad Seed
    Mommy Dearest
    Fright Night (oh.my.goodness - when I was a teenager and saw this :shock: )
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    fig jam wrote: »
    I believe the original (1962?) version of "The Haunting" set my taste for life. Psychological, supernatural, eerie, brilliant.

Yes!

That bit where Julie Harris blurts out, "Who was holding my hand?"
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I love horror movies. They really dont scare me as much as i psych myself out. But the movies that freak me out he most are the ones i can relate to.

Final desination freaked me out because it was the year i graduated and we were also planning out senior class trip. After the movie came out, it was canceled. We were just a bunch of sissies i guess

Incedious freaked me out because i have night terrors and when i was a kid i would have sleep paralysis where no one could wake me up, but i felt awake just couldnt move or anything. So that movie kinda hit home.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I also get more freaked out by psychological horror. The supernatural movies tend to trend more that way whereas the psycho killer ones tend to go for more action and gore, so I find those more scary, but it's the psychological element, not the supernatural element that scares me.

This is why I love the Shining, cause you never know if there really is a supernatural element or if it's just his inner demons manifesting as the supernatural.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • CsaracCsarac Posts: 861Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I voted that the horror movies with people hurting other people are WAY scarier to me than the supernatural stuff. I guess it's because I know that none of the zombies/vampires/monsters/ghosts/devil etc can REALLY get me; but some crazy guy knocking me out and dragging me back to his secret torture basement where he can do horrible things to me? That CAN happen. I, to this day, cannot watch Hostel, any Saw movies, The Last House on the Left, Centipede (couldn't even get through the trailer...) - it doesn't matter how far-fetched it is, I just can't watch that torture type stuff. Also, I have a touch of claustrophobia so anything where people are buried/trapped freaks me out (Kill Bill notwithstanding).
    HG: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (always and forever)
    Cantu Naturals s & c (shampoo 1x a week), use conditioner as a co-wash every day and LI under my gel.

Air dry then diffuse canapy layers only for volume
    Coconut oil before/after coloring grays and on ends.

2b/c mix waves/curls - coarse, frizz prone, med. thick, porous, at-home color, protein sensitive but I still need it sometimes, glycerin-sensitive (I think) in high humidity. After 16 years on NC.com I FINALLY figured it out..

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Only thing that scares me are good ghost movies. It's the whole element of an attacker that you can't see that gets me.

I've seen House on Haunted Hill a hundred times probably and it still gets me.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    if you mean scared as in, i leave the movie freaked out and looking over my shoulder or leave the lights on in my house? then, neither of the examples you gave.

the movies that scare me are ones like "Vacancy," where you are out in the middle of nowhere with crazy people who have a home court advantage to wreak havoc on your life, kill you, and dispose of your remains for no one to ever find, and have been getting away with it for years. there are lots of places in this country (off the beaten trail and inhabited by people who are disconnected from general society) that may be scenic, but that i would never want to travel unless in a group. some in my very own state. :happy7: anybody hear bangos playing?

another movie that spooked me was The Vanishing with sandra bullock and jeff bridges. it wasn't even what i'd call a suspense/thriller throughout most of the movie, but just the fact that abductions happen like that and in broad daylight with people around that makes me cautious when i'm out alone.

but don't get me wrong. i do enjoy gore, especially in b movies, but i get a fun-scare from them.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't watch creepy ghost, CGI special effects movies. If something is crawling up the walls, or across the ceiling in the creepy 4 legged position...I'm ooged out.

The 'real life' scary movies I feel like, it's a real person. I have a chance against a real person. But I'm terrified of the boogie man. Who can fight him?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,765Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It didn't let me vote. It was scary not being able to remember voting this poll. :pale:

It's from 2005.
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    maria_i wrote: »
    It didn't let me vote. It was scary not being able to remember voting this poll. :pale:

It's from 2005.

When I read that, I scrolled up and I see I had posted in this thread under my different name 'babywavy' - that was weird.

I never was able to get back into that account.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file