Overconditioning...

jennifermariajennifermaria Posts: 179Registered Users Curl Novice
Two weeks into my CG routine, and I think I've now run into the dreaded overconditioning syndrome, yikes!

I admit it, I really loved the feel of my hair when I co-washed, so I ended up doing it more often than I should have... and then when I stopped doing that, I tried--and fell in love with--Giovanni's Leave-In, and started using that every day (below my stylers). Of course, this is all in addition to my actual daily conditioning with TJ Nourish, and my weekly DT with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink].

Not surprisingly, I now have all the classic symptoms of overconditioning: soft, soft, SOFT hair, but poofy, shapeless, and--woe--more waves than curls.

How in the world do I combat the coverconditioning and get my lovely curls back? I did a baking soda rinse the other day, but I hated it--my hair felt so stripped, and it hasn't really been the same since (although I managed to get the softness back with the daily conditioning and co-washing every day). Any other things I could do to get rid of the effects of overconditioning?

And more importantly, how do I prevent this again? I can vow to keep my co-washing to once a week (it'll be hard, but I'll do it ;)), but is it still ok to condition daily? What about leave-in? Is it ok to use my leave-in every day? It does leave my hair oh so soft, and seems to make a good base for my styling products, but then again, if it's making my hair all poofy and shapeless, then I'm willing to make the "sacrifice" and reduce my use of that to 3-4x a week. And finally, do I need to do the DT every week? I was doing so because I'm still paranoid about possible heat damage from the daily diffusing, but if it's overkill, then I can try and break that habit as well.

None of this would really be an issue if I could just manage to get second day hair, but alas, no such luck ;).

Jennifer
2c wavy, medium porosity, medium density, coarse

Current go-to products: AIA co-wash, Mop-Top Bamboo Conditioner, AIA Leave-In, Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curly Magic, LALSG

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,869Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Yeah, I think daily cowashing w/ TJ Nourish would overcondition anyone! If you feel you must cowash a lot, use Suave Naturals, v05 or White Rain because they are a lot less conditioning than Nourish. But definitely alternate plain water washing w/ cowashing. Maybe do two water washes for every cowash...or more if you can manage it. I don't know what your hair type is or how much leave in and other products you're using. But you may occasionally want to shampoo w/ a sulfate free shampoo...or not. A very diluted vinnegar/water rinse can help too. Also, are you using any kind of gel? That can help a lot w/ the poofiness. No, weekly DTs would be too much for me. On the other hand, I wouldn't like to diffuse every single day, either. I'd keep trying to figure out a way to get 2nd day hair. I'm not personally familiar w/ Giovanni leave-in...so I can't say. But if I leave any kind of conditioner in my hair, it's very little. I don't know how much you're using.

• jennifermariajennifermaria Posts: 179Registered Users Curl Novice
    Sorry, I should have clarified (ha, maybe literally! ;))--I co-wash with V05 Calming Tea Therapy Conditioner, not TJ Nourish. TJ Nourish is really think and rich; I think my hair would be even more "blah" if I were using that as co-wash!

I'm a 3A, and routine is:

Co-wash with V05 Calming Tea Therapy Conditioner (right now every other day, but may have to make less frequent)
    Condition with TJ Nourish
    Giovanni Leave-in, about a quarter-size dollop
    Joiwhip mousse or L.A. Looks gel
    Plop for 15 min, then diffuse till 80% dry

I'm experimenting with my styling aids and noticed that the best results I've gotten so far came when I used Joiwhip. I've used 3 different kinds of L.A. looks gel and they all looked TERRIBLE on me. They seem to have no hold whatsoever on my hair--and it's not that I'm not using enough, but my hair certainly feels product-y/sticky with them on. I don't get that feeling with Joiwhip or Jessicurl RR and CC. Once I get done experimenting, I am most likely going to stick with Joiwhip as my go-to styling aid, because (so far) I really love the results I get with it. That said, if I'm overconditioned, I may not get the same results when I go back to it again, so who knows!

I'm not really following the scientific method with my experimenting (shame on me, since my dad is a physicist LOL), so it's a bit tough to really isolate what's causing what effect--eventually I'll figure it all out!

Jennifer

Current go-to products: AIA co-wash, Mop-Top Bamboo Conditioner, AIA Leave-In, Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curly Magic, LALSG
    I should also say that I'm usually a gel kind of girl, but ever since I changed my method of applying to scrunching (vs. raking in), I've noticed that gels just do not look good on/work for me. Raking breaks up my curl pattern too much, and I lose most of my curls that way (I remember the first time I scrunched product in--I used Jessicurl RR and CC, so it was easy to do so--and someone saying to me, "Wow, your hair's curlier than it's ever been!!"), so I prefer scrunching. However, when I am using a fairly viscous gel, scrunching doesn't distribute it well enough, and I end up with sticky, frizzy hair.

This is why I finally tried Joiwhip, because mousse seemed easier to distribute by scrunching in!

Jennifer

• pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had the same problem. My routine used to be co-wash with Suave, condition with TIGI Oatmeal & Honey then rinse, apply leave-in and then my styling products.

I eliminated the Oatmeal & Honey condish. I co-wash with Suave daily and still use my leave-in. I also shampoo once a week. I haven't had any problems with being over conditioned since I quit using the Oatmeal & Honey condish.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    both TJ Nourish and Giovanni leave-in are oil based. That may be too much for your hair when used together. Maybe try a non-oil based leave-in like Abba nourishing, Beauty without Cruelty or Paul Mitchell.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know the VO5's aren't considered very conditioning but I find that on the days I use the Chamomile Tea to co-wash my hair is super soft. Conditioners with stearalkonim chloride (sp?) tend to do that to me.
    Also an ACV rinse seems to help me when I feel overconditoned.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    Doesn't TJ Nourish contain protein also? Just a thought...
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    I thought protein overload meant dry, straw-like hair, though? My hair's definitely not dry and straw-like--on the contrary, it's super soft, but just sorta... well shapeless.

I think mine was overconditioned because I was using too much conditioner. Maybe try the co-wash and the leave-in and then your styling products. It worked for me. When I was using all 3 I had a hair stylist tell me my hair looked overconditioned. I saw the same stylist last week when I went to buy SIF and she said my hair looked great.
    Follow-up question on the "leaving out the regular conditioner" tip :)...

If I stick to co-washing and leave-ins only, then could I maybe go back to co-washing daily, without getting overconditioned? The Tea Therapy conditioner feels pretty thick and rich to me--maybe not as rich as TJ, but I still feel conditioned with it.

What I think I may try is alternate co-washing with Tea Therapy with no co-washing, but conditioning with TJ Nourish--that way, my hair's exposed to some sort of conditioner every day, but on some days, it's on my hair longer, and on other days, it's not. And I figure it'll be ok to use the leave-in at that point, since I'm not using three different kinds of conditioners on the same day ;).

In the meantime... I should do an AVC rinse to get rid of the overconditioned effect on my hair right now?

Jennifer

I co-wash my scalp daily then apply my leave-in without getting overconditioned. I've never done an ACV rinse so I will be no help there. When my hair was overconditioned I shampooed and followed with the leave-in. I started the co-washes the next day. I should mention that I shampoo once a week too.
    Thanks, pinksugar! May I ask what kind of shampoo you use? Is it sulfate-free? I thought about using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl HCC[/buylink] as a once-a-week shampoo, but I find that that can make my hair greasy.

My hair's a little picky ;).

Jennifer

I currently use Ouidad Clear & Gentle but would prefer to find something a little more gentle. It is not sulfate free. It has ammonium laurel sulfate.

My son has a bottle of TJ's Nourish Shampoo at home that I might try. It is sulfate free but does contain protein.
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    So pinksugar, you've completely cut the Oatmeal & Honey from your regime? Even after shampooing?

I would not mind at all having hair that's prone to overconditioning. I would gladly take too-soft, poofy hair from time to time over my hair which is an everyday struggle to keep soft and moisturized. I've never been overconditioned yet-I wish it could happen once, just so I could know how it feels! :lol:
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    Magoo: stearalkonium chloride is a *very* conditioning ingredient-it's what they put in fabric softener, a lot of curlies report similar results from using products containing that ingredient.
    jeamaria wrote:
    So pinksugar, you've completely cut the Oatmeal & Honey from your regime? Even after shampooing?
    I would not mind at all having hair that's prone to overconditioning. I would gladly take too-soft, poofy hair from time to time over my hair which is an everyday struggle to keep soft and moisturized. I've never been overconditioned yet-I wish it could happen once, just so I could know how it feels! :lol:

Yes. I only shampoo once a week right now and I apply my leave-in conditioner afterwards. Same goes for after I co-wash, just apply my leave-in condish. Then styling products.

The overconditioning was causing my curls to fall limp and lose definition. I also had some frizz.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jeamaria wrote:
    Magoo: stearalkonium chloride is a *very* conditioning ingredient-it's what they put in fabric softener, a lot of curlies report similar results from using products containing that ingredient.

Hmm, I didn't know that :scratch: . As a matter of fact, today I co-washed with the VO5 Chamomile Tea and then conditioned with Nature's Gate and although my hair was very soft, my curls were a bit undefined and poofy.
    That ingredient only seems to overcondition my hair in the summer though.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file