"When I have children, I will NEVER..."

HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Posts: 363Registered Users
I realized that since I've had my baby, I've had to eat some of my words regarding parenthood.

"When I have children, I will NEVER be one of those paranoid moms that checks to make sure their child is breathing." Reality: I do this ALL the time. All the time.

"When I have children, I will NEVER iron any of their clothes. That's just silly!" Reality: My mother loves buying my daughter clothes from those specialty children's shops, which often require ironing. She looks so dang cute in them, I just suck it up and iron the stuff.

"When I have children, I will NEVER co-sleep with them." Reality: My child would not sleep alone during the first 2 months of her life. I will do just about anything to get some sleep, and so I slept with her that whole time. Even now, if she is restless, I just pop her in bed with me and she sleeps great!

Which of your ideas changed after you had children?
GuardianB wrote:
Southern gals rock :!:

Comments

• shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    "I will never give my baby a pacifier"~ As I speak, my baby has one in his mouth.

"I will never buy expensive clothes for my baby b/c they grow out of them too fast"~ I can't help it sometime the clothes are too damn cute to resist.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Ask me again in a couple months :lol:
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    "When I have children, I will NEVER let them have tantrums and act a plum fool in public. I will raise them with discipline and make sure they listen to me."

HA and a double HA to that one!
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    The pacifier one was me. Someone gave me a paci at my shower and I threw it away. DD is 23 months now and just gave it up -big struggle

This reminds me of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Was-Better-Mother-Before-Kids/dp/0671027220

I've read exerpts and saw the author on the Today show - hilarious!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    co sleeping!!

which she has graduated to her crib for nap times, but the bassinett 3 inches away from my face at night.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    when i have kids i will never have one of those that is still in diapers past the age of 2 haha max was over 3
  • curlyninercurlyniner Posts: 130Registered Users
    Poopsie wrote:
    "When I have children, I will NEVER be one of those paranoid moms that checks to make sure their child is breathing." Reality: I do this ALL the time. All the time.

OK, Katy is almost 3 and I still do this - every night on my way to bed.

I also said I'd never cosleep (did), I'd never arbitrarily shove a boob in her mouth just so she'd stop crying (also did), and - as a toddler - she'd never be such a picky eater that it would turn me into a short order cook (yep, still working on that one).

About the only thing I have stuck to is (not) cutting her hair. My mom essentially shaved my head into a super-short boy cut when I was 2.5 because the curls were too much. And then made me keep it that way until I was 10. I swore (curls or not) that I'd never cut my daughter's hair short. She's had a trim about 15 months ago, and that it. And it's beautiful. :)
    "Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I said the pacy and tantrums ones too and also not yet mentioned

I will NEVER have one of those kids running around with dirty faces.

I always thought how hard is it to clean their faces??? But now I know, kids are positively charged, and dirt is negatively charged, and if they come anywhere near each other then the dirt flies across the room to them. It doesn't matter that you just gave them a bath 1 hour ago, if dirt exists somewhere it will find them. And then there are 2 types of kids, ones who hate dirt, and the ones who hate getting clean. The clean kids can be annoying when you have to clean the slightest speck of dirt on them 1,000 times a day, and the dirty ones put up such a fight you'd think it was torture to get clean, so it is impossible to make sure you got it all.

And what is up with the neck sludge????
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My child will sleep sleep through the night....and i will never co-sleep!!1

HAH!!

Chas just slept through the night without a peep last night(in his own bed) for the first time and he's a year. I'm pretty sure it's not a habit yet.

Co-sleeping..we did this for the first two weeks because of my c-section. So much easier. After that, I've done it on an as needed sleep basis. :laughing9:
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Why was everyone so against co-sleeping? Just curious.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I didn't think I would let him "watch" TV - but when I am tired and vegging out after a sleepless night, TV comforts ME, and I have him with me so he can get some mama time, so, he watches TV.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Meghuney wrote:
    "When I have children, I will NEVER let them have tantrums and act a plum fool in public. I will raise them with discipline and make sure they listen to me."

HA and a double HA to that one!

BUWAHAHAHAHAH!!!

I'm convinced I ended up w/ this overactive crazy toddler BECAUSE I was so critical of other mothers. I think it's punishment for talking like that before having any knowledge of what you're saying!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:

ij ust didnt see a need for it. but since the 1st time i laid eyes on her, i never wanted her to be too far away from me!
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "I will never let him have skittles for dinner." Nowadays, I am just happy that he is eating something. It can be paper and cheetos for all I care as long as it has some calories.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    DarkAngel wrote:
    "I will never let him have skittles for dinner." Nowadays, I am just happy that he is eating something. It can be paper and cheetos for all I care as long as it has some calories.

HAHAHA!!! :laughing9:
    Chips (specifically cheetos) she wasn't ever going to have before 5... NOT
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Hmmm, this could be a long list....

- no pacifiers (Mama is all that baby needs!) - right.

-no formula. When the choice is pumping for a half a day to eek out a measly 4 oz or leaving the baby with bottle of formula, I chose formula.

- no extended bottle use (bad BAD for the teeth) - yeah, my 2 YEAR OLD takes a bottle of bed to milk with him.

- I would never drug my child for the convenience of others. Ok, maybe not others, but for MY convenience he's gotten a swig of Benadryl before flying.

- every time my child sees the Golden Arches and says "fries! fries" is like a dagger through my heart.

- every time my child sees the Golden Arches and says "fries! fries" is like a dagger through my heart.

OMG - Kennedy was never supposed to taste fries. SHE LOVES THEM!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    iris427 wrote:

There seems to be a social stigma against it. Whenever I even mention it in passing, I get the feeling people definitely look down on it. The reaction is either "OMG, you're going to murder your child rolling over" or that you're a pushover parent already.

For now, I don't plan having the baby in our bed, but I did get a co-sleeper so he can be right next to me. I have a feeling he'll end up in the bed anyway. Ask me again in like 6 months. ;)
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

There seems to be a social stigma against it. Whenever I even mention it in passing, I get the feeling people definitely look down on it. The reaction is either "OMG, you're going to murder your child rolling over" or that you're a pushover parent already.

For now, I don't plan having the baby in our bed, but I did get a co-sleeper so he can be right next to me. I have a feeling he'll end up in the bed anyway. Ask me again in like 6 months. ;)

Interesting. I knew many peds recommend against it because of SIDS but I didn't know about the social stigma against it.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    iris427 wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

Interesting. I knew many peds recommend against it because of SIDS but I didn't know about the social stigma against it.

yep, and especially folks my parent's age. My mom couldn't understand why any couple would want a baby in the bed with them. Babies belong in their rooms. Why spend the time and money doing a nursery (she had a point there...KD's crib sheets may have been changed twice??)
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Posts: 363Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:

I just didn't want to start something that would be difficult to stop, and I didn't want a six-year-old still sleeping with me!
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Bailey422 wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

I don't think there is a social stigma against co-sleeping, it's just that experienced parents know that starting babies sleeping directly in the bed with you is often a recipe for years and years of little sex and intimacy with your partner, because there's always a kid (or kids) between you. A lot of kids use sleeping as manipulation too as they get older. I know parents who have 5 and 7 year olds that still sleep with them...which wouldn't be so bad if the parents didn't mind, but they do mind. Especially the husband.
    iris427 wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

yep, and especially folks my parent's age. My mom couldn't understand why any couple would want a baby in the bed with them. Babies belong in their rooms. Why spend the time and money doing a nursery (she had a point there...KD's crib sheets may have been changed twice??)

That was my reason TO co-sleep - not to have to worry about an (unnecessary, to me) nursery before the baby was born!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Poopsie wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

I just didn't want to start something that would be difficult to stop, and I didn't want a six-year-old still sleeping with me!

Same here.

Although I don't mind if Chas gets into bed around 6:00 in the morning with us. Usually if he does this...he sleeps till 9:00 which is wonderful on the weekends.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Breaking the cosleeping wouldn't be much different than any other transition, but like with all bedtime transitions, you would have to stick with it.

I don't see a problem w/ cosleeping if it were used in the same sense as a bassinette is used. If, once you, and the child, are ready to transfer to the crib, you actually make that transition, then there's no issue. But I think it causes an issue between married couples, and the relationship w/ older children (if there are any) if the baby is kept in mom and dads bed for too long.

As my pediatrician suggests about such transitions, it's easier to get them used to something new when they are going to fall asleep faster, and cry less. It's easier to have a 4 month old settle themselves down, than say a 9 month old who won't give up as easily.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I co-slept because it was easier for me than to get up and feed the baby. I could be half asleep through the night nursings vs. waking up, getting up from the bed, fetching the crying baby from down the hall, nursing, putting her back down, going back to sleep (rinse and repeat as needed ;))

The hardest part was when she was big enough to not need night feedings. There was no reason for us to sleep in the same bed and my husband was ready to have his bed back (and move her into her crib!). Once someone is not cool with it, co-sleeping can be a problem. It took a few days for my daughter to adjust and she has had a few relapses, but I like having my bed back (mostly--sometimes she will wake up in the early morning and we will keep her in the bed).

I never had an issue with rolling onto her or any of the other warnings you hear. As long as everyone is fine with it, I see no problem with co-sleeping.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    babywavy wrote:
    Breaking the cosleeping wouldn't be much different than any other transition, but like with all bedtime transitions, you would have to stick with it.

I agree, with #1 we co-slept, until after #2 needed to be in a crib, no co-sleep with Korbin he would lie still, and one can only take so many kicks to the face. But we switched them both not only to their own beds Kade to a toddler bed, and Korbin to a crib, but to their own rooms at the same time, without any trouble whatsoever. Kade still ends up in our bed from time to time but it's very rare. Usually he sneaks in there and falls asleep before we go to bed. There's just the occasional bad dreams, and Korbin fights sleep really bad, and screams alot on the worst nights, and Kade will go to our bed just to get some sleep in piece, and who would blame him there.
    Amneris wrote:
    iris427 wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

That was my reason TO co-sleep - not to have to worry about an (unnecessary, to me) nursery before the baby was born!

You were smart. People warned me but I didn't listen. I just HAD to have a nursery for my baby.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

gemini wrote:
    I co-slept because it was easier for me than to get up and feed the baby. I could be half asleep through the night nursings vs. waking up, getting up from the bed, fetching the crying baby from down the hall, nursing, putting her back down, going back to sleep (rinse and repeat as needed ;))

The hardest part was when she was big enough to not need night feedings. There was no reason for us to sleep in the same bed and my husband was ready to have his bed back (and move her into her crib!). Once someone is not cool with it, co-sleeping can be a problem. It took a few days for my daughter to adjust and she has had a few relapses, but I like having my bed back (mostly--sometimes she will wake up in the early morning and we will keep her in the bed).

I never had an issue with rolling onto her or any of the other warnings you hear. As long as everyone is fine with it, I see no problem with co-sleeping.

Yep - I can't imagine hauling my tired ass out of bed every 1-2 hours at night for weeks to go into the nursery to feed my baby.... so much easier to have him in the bed to nurse and doze off together.

.png

534Pm5.png

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    Poopsie wrote:
    iris427 wrote:

exactly that and the fact that I love the time my hubby and i have together alone in bed you know that time before you go to sleep and you just talk without the kids around.

I'll put Quentin in bed with us in the morning around 4 or so but I don't consider that cosleeping

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file