CurlTalk

How did you arrive at your spiritual beliefs? Poll

dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
I'm in a Bible study group, and one of my husband's colleagues is coming. She is questioning types of religion/belief in hell/etc. My approach has been to try to answer her questions when asked, and then email her information from both sides, sort of like apologetics. Spirituality has to be a personal decision, so it should be an informed one. Well, this has me thinking (along with GuardianB) - for those of you on the board from any faith or no faith at all (in God), how did you get to where you are today?

Did you grow up "in the church"? Did you grow up with parents who hold the same beliefs you hold today? Did a negative experience turn you away from organized religion? Did a negative experience turn you toward religion? Did you grow up without any religious experiences and "convert" when you were older? Did you study various religions and then pick the "right fit"? Did you just decide one day that something other than what you had believed was right? Anything else you think is interesting.

I know you can't control how a topic goes, but I really am only interested in seeing how different people arrive at their beliefs. I grew up in a Christian home, and it could have gone either way for me, I think. My mom was very religious, but she used Scriptures to justify "beating the devil out of us." So, please do a spinoff or pm if you want to disagree directly with a poster. I know the controversial threads get more action, but I just want some information, if anyone is willing to share!
People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.
«1

Comments

  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    I am not sure how to answer the question. I grew up in a home that taught us love, spirituality, respect, and tolerance for all on earth. We were not raised in any one religion.

    I had to be familiar with the Torah, Quran, and the Christian (Catholic) Bible. I also grew up knowing about different Native American beliefs of the Americas, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.

    We were not burdened by the thought of sin either. We were raised that sin was abstract and can be different from person to person (excluding acts such as adultery, murder, etc.).

    My parent’s philosophy was to respect all people and their religion because fundamentally, the principle concepts are the same—it is only the details that change.

    Incidentally, I do not believe in hell either.
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

    br-flag1.gif
  • mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    I grew up with no religion. My mum is from the Church of England, my dad grew up in a Presbyterian church. I went to church one year of my life (when I was 5 years old) and I think that was to appease my dad's mother. She died shortly thereafter. My mum still brought my older sister and me to church, but we stopped going because my dad didn't go and my mum was just doing it because it was seen as a thing you were supposed to do at the time. Being that I was 5, I have little to no memories of church. Both my sister and I were not baptized, as my parents wanted us to choose our own religious paths (damn hippies!). We were brought up with the belief that there is a god, but were not taught anything from the bible.

    To this day neither my sister or I have chosen to be baptized.

    I still believe in god (not God as in Christian God/He, but in a higher power), although like most, I questioned it and waivered throughout the years. I am by no means a Christian and do not believe in the bible at all. I don't like to call myself religious, as I believe in no organized religion. I am spiritual though, if that makes any sense. The word "religion" or "religious" always makes me think of being affiliated with some group, which I am not.

    What can I say, I am a registered Independent voter and I am independent in my religious beliefs. :lol: My husband was raised/baptized Methodist, but is non-practicing and like me does not believe in the bible but believes in a higher power.
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    Hehe, I am not baptized either.

    My very Catholic friend (used to be atheist) told me I was going to hell and I replied only if I believe I will go……
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

    br-flag1.gif
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,806Registered Users
    I was brought up in a strongly devout Catholic family. Nothing really devastating happened to make me turn away from the church, in fact the church we attended was really lovely and friendly. The priests were sweet, wise, and father-like to me. But starting from a very early age I do remember shredding different ideas in my mind (the virgin birth, the ressurrection, the ark, etc.) and feeling those extremely uncomfortable feelings when you *know* an adult is lying to you. After many bitter arguments with my mother, she gave up fighting with me and let me stay home.

    That wasn't the end for me. I searched other spiritual paths, in fact for the majority of my 20's. I found that my natural mother was a practicing Wiccan, and threw myself into that. I opened my heart and soul to Judaism, studying endlessly. It became a pre-occupation of mine. Nothing ever clicked. The only teachings that have come close and that I've aligned myself with is Taoism with a smattering of Buddhism.

    I finally said to myself "I don't believe in God, and that's OK." That was an extraodinarily freeing moment, and I haven't looked back since.

    Perhaps I will someday. Perhaps I'll be laying on my death bed, seized with fear that my puny little mind couldn't grasp the enormity of God's love, and I'll beg for mercy for my hell-bound soul. But for right now, I need to listen to my gut on what I feel is truth. Or should I say MY truth.
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    Thanks for sharing, ladies. I guess I should be more clear - my questions may be clouded by my own upbringing (that everyone "believed" in a higher power). So, what I really want to know is was there any type of spiritual teaching (rather than religious) in your home growing up, and if so (or not) do you still accept as true the teachings you grew up with.

    Does that make sense?
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    dia99 wrote:
    So, what I really want to know is was there any type of spiritual teaching (rather than religious) in your home growing up, and if so (or not) do you still accept as true the teachings you grew up with.

    As I stated before I grew up in a home that taught us love, spirituality, respect, and tolerance for all on earth.

    My parent’s philosophy was to respect all people and their religion because fundamentally, the principle concepts are the same—it is only the details that change.

    I still accept their teachings today and will pass them on to my future children.
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

    br-flag1.gif
  • msrebamsreba Posts: 143Registered Users
    I really wasnt sure how to vote in the poll. But I will throw my lil story in. Baptised and went thru first communion at the catholic church. My parents divorced when I was 3-4 years old and I think I "HAD" to do first communion to appease one of my grandparents. At my fathers home where I lived, there was never any mention of religion at any time. However, I went to church in an odd fashion almost every weekend, due to my mom being a singer/cantor for a few local catholic churchs. I have been to hundreds of masses, funerals and weddings of hundreds of people I dont know. Up inthe choir loft with the organist. Over the time I learned all of the hymns and other songs she sang. But to me it was just a place where my mom worked. It wasnt anything special. So essentially I have stayed the same since birth. A happy atheist, with a respect for the music of the catholic church.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I grew up in a very christian conservative home and my parents are still very religious. The Lutheran church I attened was literally attached to my N-8 school. Never been to public school from nursery through graduate school. I rejected Christianity somewhere around college. It just sort of happenened and I can not pinpoint what made that change.

    Yoga has helped me appreciate spirituality and the many paths to higher conciousness.

    I have no religion, but I am currently studying vedantic meditation as part of my yogic path.
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    Thank you guys for answering my question(s) better than I could ask it :D .
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I voted that I was born into the religion that I follow, which is true, but that's really simplifying things. I was born and raised in my denomination, but I gave it up for a while, tried other things, and then eventually I came back to the denomination in which I was born and raised.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Rock on with your bad self.

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

    Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I grew up in a home with non-practicing Catholic parents. I was baptized, and I made my first Communion, and I went to some form of Sunday school till I was about 12 or so, but we barely went to church. My parents didn't "enforce" any religion, and once I was a teen, I was allowed to choose whether or not I wanted to continue practicing Catholicism. I wasn't taught about religion really by them, only through the classes I took when I was younger. In high school, I joined a church youth group mainly so it would look good on my college resume, and that is when I decided Christianity really wasn't for me. Not that it was a bad youth group, it was actually very good, but I didn't fit in. After that I considered myself agnostic/borderline atheist.

    When I was 21, I happened across some Pagan literature and I developed a strong interest in learning about it and eventually realizing that it was something I more or less felt throughout my life, but never really knew there was an entire belief system based around it until then. So that is how I ended up where I am today.
    Location: Southern NH

    If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    Cehua wrote:
    I am not sure how to answer the question. I grew up in a home that taught us love, spirituality, respect, and tolerance for all on earth. We were not raised in any one religion.

    I had to be familiar with the Torah, Quran, and the Christian (Catholic) Bible. I also grew up knowing about different Native American beliefs of the Americas, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.

    We were not burdened by the thought of sin either. We were raised that sin was abstract and can be different from person to person (excluding acts such as adultery, murder, etc.).

    My parent’s philosophy was to respect all people and their religion because fundamentally, the principle concepts are the same—it is only the details that change.

    Incidentally, I do not believe in hell either.

    whoa. this is very similar to how i was raised, too.

    cool...:)
    here i was thinking my parents were wildly eccentric. :wink:

    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

    4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    MizKeri,

    What is Paganism? Or, I know you can't give me everything about your beliefs in a sentence, but if there was a mission statement or core values statement for Paganism, what would it be?
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • MarMar Posts: 3,003Registered Users
    I was born into my Catholic Christian faith,but I made a conscience decision to stay with it when I was a young adult and again as an older adult.
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"



    "If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Posts: 637Registered Users
    I was born & raised Catholic & was a practicing Catholic until my sophomore year of college. I'd begun to question some of the things I was taught to believe & had issues w/ the Church.

    I "shopped around" & dabbled in what I call the "salad bar" approach to religion. I believed/accepted things from different faiths but somehow things were never just right.

    I dont go to church now but would describe myself as a Christian. I still have issues w/ the Church but believe in God & pray daily.
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

    I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    dia99 wrote:
    MizKeri,

    What is Paganism? Or, I know you can't give me everything about your beliefs in a sentence, but if there was a mission statement or core values statement for Paganism, what would it be?

    Dia, this is a question that every Pagan will answer differently but I will give you mine. First, Paganism is really a term that encompasses a whole slew of earth-centered religions, much like the term Christian encompasses a variety of religions.

    I practice Wicca, or witchcraft, and to me that means I believe in both a female and male aspect of the Divine, and that the Divine is found within us and all around us. It means that I revere nature and the Earth and I do my best to treat it well. I try to follow something called the Wiccan Rede, which says "Do as you will, but harm none." I believe in karma, particularly the rule of three - that energy, whether it be positive or negative, I send out comes back to me threefold. I believe in the concept of reincarnation rather than Heaven or Hell. I practice magic, and rather than thinking of this as the hocus pocus sort, think of it as a manipulation of the energy around us, or really, as a form of prayer much of the time. In my religion, there is no central book (like the Bible) or central religious leader (like the Pope).

    What Wicca ISN'T is Satanism, devil-worship, "black magic," necromancy, etc.

    There's tons more I could say, but feel free to PM if you have other questions! There's a few other Pagans on the board who'll have more to add as well, I'm sure.

    Thanks for asking. I don't get the chance to discuss this very much with most people.
    Location: Southern NH

    If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    MizKerri,

    I have studied some other religions a little, but I always steer away from ones that say "witch" because I think of scary stuff. Your practices sound much different than I ever imagined, so thank you for broadening my mind!
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • StephSStephS Posts: 352Registered Users
    Did not grow up going to church. Do not believe the Bible is anything more than a book of historical writings, and leaders used and rewrote it over centuries to establish law. Who knows for sure how many times it was translated, or how accurately?

    I think religion has persevered in society because people have a need to feel death is not final, and also for many it gives a sense of peace or relief or whatever to feel like "a being of great power" is watching over them, and loves them no matter what.

    I just try to be nice to others, help when I can, and do my best to be a generally good person while I am here. When I am gone, I am gone. And if I have been wrong about everything, and it ends up there actually IS somewhere to go after death, well then, my bad.
  • kurlykittykurlykitty Posts: 162Registered Users
    I had a difficult time answering the poll question as well. I was raised with kind of a lack of religious teaching, beyond that there was a creator god who made everything and watched over us. My parents have very different beliefs - my mom is Shinto Buddhist while my dad is kind of a nondescript nonpracticing Protestant. They would probably be happy in a Universalist church.

    As a teenager I converted to evangelical protestantism due to the influence of a good friend, and was a Christian for about 12 years. During that time I went to a Christian university and had planned to be a missionary, but shelved it after examining my motivations and in face of doubts that I also set aside.

    A few years after college I started studying the Bible, theology, and Christianity and eventually, about a year or so ago, came to the conclusion that it does not live up to its claims of being unique, historically true, or an internally consistent whole. I discarded this belief system and have not been moved to search for one to replace it.

    I am interested - more than ever - in learning about the myths and religions of the world, but my interest is more anthropological than the next phase of a spiritual journey. You can learn a lot about a people through the stories they hold sacred.
    "Beware the man of one book." --Latin proverb
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    My mother was raised Greek Orthodox (Catholic but stricker and loooonger for everything!), my father Presbyterian. My mother's parents eventually left the Greek Orthdox church and became Presbyterian.

    While growing up we went to church when I was very young and the we just sort of stopped. That is, we stopped going to church. The guilt, blame and shame continued. Religion was used (by my mother) to tell me how bad I was, although the only time she has gone to church in years has been to attend a function that will make her look good. There are a few plaques and such on the walls of their house that have Bible versus on them, again to make it look good. She is what I call a "convienent Christian". She pulls it out when it suits her needs.

    I meandered about the various churches with friends as an early teen, all I ever felt was guilt. When I was 16 I moved out of my parents house, and rented a room from a friend's parents. I grew up in a college town and alot of people rented out rooms to students. The "man" of the house was a Greek Orthodox priest who was only in town on weekends (he taught at another college M-F). More guilt and shame. The Father was an alcoholic and he and his wife basically had one of the most disfunctional marriages ever - they have since divorced.

    I am not a practising anything. I belive in certain concepts - be a good person, live a simple life, be good to others, what comes around goes around. I don't feel as though I got any of this from the church. It is just my own little belief system - a church of one if you will. :lol:

    I think that the main reason that I am again having the guilt issue is as I stated on another thread. We will be moving back to South Carolina in a couple of years and where we live, people are judged by what church they go to. My daughter is an innocent. What are they going to think of her when she tells them we don't attend church? How will she be judged and treated because of it. This is one of the problems I have with organized religion - most people feel as thought they have a right to judge others who don't share their beliefs. DD is a very sweet, polite and considerate kid (don't ask me how I pulled that one off :lol: ). I don't want her to have to face the pressures of something that I consider private, simply because I want her to have free will. I would never prevent her from attending church or following a particular type of faith - it is her life.

    We were married by a non-denominational minister (a woman). We did this out of respect for our families. There was very little "religious" content to the service, but it made the believers feel better, and we really liked the minister as a person. I am not offended by Chritianity, I just can't seem to make it work in my life. I support others' rights to any belief system that they choose. I just wish that could be reciprocated. I do have a major problem with the religious groups who try to inflict their belief system on the masses - don't tell me how to live my life because you are self-righteous - that is what turns people away from the Church - any church.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

    Perception is not reality.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fhmiklos" class="Popup
  • Sweet CurlySweet Curly Posts: 32Registered Users
    mazey wrote:
    I grew up with no religion. My mum is from the Church of England, my dad grew up in a Presbyterian church. I went to church one year of my life (when I was 5 years old) and I think that was to appease my dad's mother. She died shortly thereafter. My mum still brought my older sister and me to church, but we stopped going because my dad didn't go and my mum was just doing it because it was seen as a thing you were supposed to do at the time. Being that I was 5, I have little to no memories of church. Both my sister and I were not baptized, as my parents wanted us to choose our own religious paths (damn hippies!). We were brought up with the belief that there is a god, but were not taught anything from the bible.

    To this day neither my sister or I have chosen to be baptized.

    I still believe in god (not God as in Christian God/He, but in a higher power), although like most, I questioned it and waivered throughout the years. I am by no means a Christian and do not believe in the bible at all. I don't like to call myself religious, as I believe in no organized religion. I am spiritual though, if that makes any sense. The word "religion" or "religious" always makes me think of being affiliated with some group, which I am not.

    What can I say, I am a registered Independent voter and I am independent in my religious beliefs. :lol: My husband was raised/baptized Methodist, but is non-practicing and like me does not believe in the bible but believes in a higher power.

    Gosh, this is me exactly. Never baptised, don't believe in the bible although I do believe in "a god" of some sort. Exactly. My hubby is Catholic (or was raised Catholic) but never practices. He knows the history of the religion and says his prayers like a good boy at the dinner table when we're with his family, but other than that he really questions the whole idea of it. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

    edited to add: I can't tell you all how great it is to read this thread. I've always felt like such a freak because of my beliefs, or lack thereof. Seems everyone around me has some religion. Maybe we just don't talk about it enough to realize that more people are like me than I think. But really, thank you all for sharing.
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    I was baptized Catholic in a non-practicing Catholic/First Baptist family. My mother, who gave me most of my initial outlooks on life, morals, death, afterlife grew up in a strong Catholic family and went to an all-girls Catholic school until 8th grade. She at one point in her life wanted to be a nun, but also wanted to be a mother so she made her choice. She lost touch and faith with the Catholic "system" over time and my youngest brother was not invited after my mothers request to be baptized at the same church that me and my other brother were.

    As a teen growing up I read many books on Greek mythology and Native Americans and admired their multiple god theories. This gave a personal touch to a higher power that was very comforting to me but all it really did was prompt more questions.

    I do not practice any religion. My wife (raised Southern Baptist) does not practice and her grandfather on one side is a preacher, on the other was more than half Cherokee.

    I have a sense of a higher power but believe in a sort of Big Bang idea. I do not have enough faith to dedicate to one idea when so many of them have opposing and believable thoughts and wishes. I strive to live by an acceptable level of purpose, morals and virtues. I expect no one but myself to be accountable for my actions and can not with good conscious ask to be cleansed of my actions if they are not to my or anyone elses standards. I will live and die by those and what happens happens. I have no clear idea of where "GB" may be after this life and don't at this time want to. I have confidence that when my marble falls off this maze of life that everything shall be as it was meant to be.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
  • alguma pessoaalguma pessoa Posts: 619Registered Users
    GuardianB wrote:
    As a teen growing up I read many books on Greek mythology and Native Americans and admired their multiple god theories. This gave a personal touch to a higher power that was very comforting to me but all it really did was prompt more questions.

    Not to guano, but in general, Native Americans do not believe in "multiple Gods." They believe in multiple spirits but there is one top Creator. For example, there are spirits of the sky, wind, river, etc. but they are not the top Creator (who is usually a woman btw).

    Also, the Creator is supposed to be in all of the spirits (i.e., look and you will see the God in everything even ourselves, which incidentally, that is how I thought of Jesus growing up. I thought that we all had the potential to be Jesus because we all had God in us. I also believed (and still believe) that we all have the potential to be Jesus but most people just wait around for the “messiah” to come to lead us and fail to realize that the “messiah” is no different from us. I hope no one finds this insulting, as I do not mean to insult any Christian here on the board by speaking of Jesus in this way.)

    I am simplifying a little and NA beliefs vary by nations but this is what I have been taught as a child (grew up with Native American relatives). Usually people confuse the spirits for Gods because the spirits have powers. To relate it to Christianity, the spirits are like angels and in some cases like saints because you can pray to them to get to the Creator.
    We're all born mad. Some remain so.

    br-flag1.gif
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I was baptised Catholic but for my family Catholicism is more of a family/cultural tradition than it is a doctrine of faith. We only went to church for wedding, baptisms, first communions, funerals, whenever school demanded it, and Easter, and by going to chruch on Easter I mean driving to all the different parishes looking for a church that wasn't standing room only.

    I went to Catholic schools from kindergarten through highschool because the public schools where I grew up are so bad, not for the religious teachings. It's really wierd going to catholic school when you come from a family of non-practicing catholics...you become scared that you and your whole family is going to hell because you're all "sinners." My high school was all girls, which made the school even more fanatical in it's theology classes - sex education was interesting. By that point I already disagreed with church teachings and thought they were full of ****, but it was more a matter of me being too lazy to follow the rules. I still had that fear of hell and that thought in the back of my mind that I better change my ways in case I die suddenly and end up in hell. The history of the chruch always disgusted me, and it drove me nuts how events like the Crusades, the Inquistition, and the Spanish Conquest were described as the "spread of Christianity" - doesn't sound like the bloody torture, genocide, and slavery that those events actually were, does it?

    Despite all this, I was still Catholic when I started college, and would, on rare occasions, attend mass. The more I learned, the more "anti-Catholic" I became. The very last mass I went to (that wasn't for a family event) was an Easter vigil mass, and I really enjoyed it. The priest was fantastic - really embodying what every religion should be, and I felt nothing - no peace, no spirituality, nothing. And I thought how great it would be if the leaders of the church were more like that priest, how the message would truly about being closer to god and not about ancient rules and traditions. I knew that that would never happen. No matter how great that priest was, the church would always be run my old men who are completely out of touch with society. "Virgins" (not that I believe that for a second) would always be the one making rules about sex, birth control, and marriage, etc. History would always be distorted. I decided that I was no longer Catholic and felt really good about that.

    Right now, I'm not practising anything. I believe in a higher power, but not in the Christian sense. My spiritual beliefs are all over the place, and I feel no need to have a defined belief system about the universe, although I love reading about different paths.
    Eres o te haces?
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I didn't reply because "spiritual beliefs" do not necessarily equate to religion and the two choices offered don't apply to me. ETA--I see you have addressed that--sorry!

    I was born Catholic, but really not raised with the church, so I don't claim that as my religion. I have developed my own beliefs from observations and knowing right from wrong. I do believe in God, but I also believe there are many paths to salvation. I have trouble accepting religions that teach that their way is the only right way to be "saved." I have to question everything, so many times I am left feeling frustrated with some of the teachings of the church. I wish I could just accept everything on faith, but that is not me at all. I also feel I am too liberal for many Christian based religions (which is what I am most familiar with).
    I can't tell you all how great it is to read this thread. I've always felt like such a freak because of my beliefs, or lack thereof. Seems everyone around me has some religion. Maybe we just don't talk about it enough to realize that more people are like me than I think. But really, thank you all for sharing

    Well said!! My husband jokes that I am a "heathen" (he was raised going to church every Sunday). I know he is kidding, but at least reading this thread, I know I am not alone.
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users
    dia99 wrote:
    I have studied some other religions a little, but I always steer away from ones that say "witch" because I think of scary stuff. Your practices sound much different than I ever imagined, so thank you for broadening my mind!

    This is a very important statement, because this is how I went from a saved and sanctified Christian to someone with a keen interest in Wicca. LOL. How crazy is that?

    I grew up Episcopalian. Went to church most Sundays just because. Was Christened, took my first Communion, etc, etc. Going through the motions. My parents never discussed their beliefs, nor made any mention of God at all (that I remember). So I felt like I had no real guidance in this area after it was all said and done.

    When I was almost 30, I met a man who persuaded me to get "saved".I became very, very involved in a Pentecostal church in upstate New York. I loved it! It really was a wonderful learning experience. I feel like I learn the Bible backwards and forwards. I really love the discipline of organized religion, but I always felt like an outsider and was always full of guilt about something.

    Then, me and that guy broke up, and I branched out into other things. At first I felt like I was doomed to hell if I entertained any other religion! But I was somehow drawn to Wicca--like you said, Dia, I discovered it was nothing like I imagined. Very pure and simple. It did fall in line with many things I had believed all along.

    From there, I opened up to many, many things and studied a bit here and there. Like Cehua said, its only the details, rituals, and the names of the deities that are different.

    I realized that I dont' have to attach specific *words* to spirit. As humans, we try to explain our spirituality with words and all kinds of other things. How can we be sure that one way is more worthy or accurate that another? It really is all the same. Just my 2 cents.

    So now, I attend a Religious Science/"Science of Mind" church that I love! I don't have to feel like an outsider because you see a little bit of everthing in that church! Relgious Science is so interesting because it taught me to do away with dualities: God/Devil, Good/Bad, etc. We believe that all there is is God. What is thought of as "evil" is only separation from God. I don't believe in Hell or a "Devil". And I am totally convinced that we have the power to manifest things in our lives. After all, we are "little Gods". We are created in God's image. God is not outside of ourselves, God is inside. This is what I have come to believe.

    When you say "God", to me that encompasses everything. So if someone has a word or blessing for me, I take it! I watched the Chrisitian evangelist Joyce Meyer the other week and really enjoyed it. I also love the book "Witch" by Fiona Horne.. I do yoga and mediation sometimes. I've done spells, spiritual treatments, spoken in tongues....I know all this sounds very crazy. But now I feel open and comfortable enough about my concept of God to do all these things and feel secure about it.

    Best topic ever, Dia :D

    Sorry this is so long.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

    catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    Witches! You're all a bunch of witches! Let's have a witch trial and start burning people at the stake! C'mon - it'll be a curly bonfire!! :lol:

    *joking - Heee! Please don't curse me - I meant no disrespect - and I don't want to be turned into a toad*
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

    Perception is not reality.

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fhmiklos" class="Popup
  • SaKkehSaKkeh Posts: 986Registered Users
    I havent quite 'arrived' yet. I am looking into studying Santeria right now. But, basically, I think there is a supreme being/force.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I'm the same as my parents. We are all what I would consider to be "agnostic cultural Hindus". I consider myself a practising Hindu in that my way of life/values/attitudes are shaped by Hindu philosophy and teaching. Its also my connection to my family, ancestors and my community. I love the associated culture and traditions as well.

    However, when it comes right down to it, I'm really not sure whether I believe in a higher power - but I am open to the possibility. I'm sure if you ask my dad he would say the same thing.

    Hinduism is a very non-structured religion or way of life - I know plenty of fundamentalists, agnostics and atheists who would still indentify themselves as Hindu. I am married to someone I would consider an "agnostic cultural Sikh", so we have learnt each others customs and traditions - some of which are the same and some of which are quite different.
  • LisaAnnLisaAnn Posts: 436Registered Users
    I grew up in a home that went to church occasionally on Easter and Christmas Eve. Then when I became an unruly teenager my mom began forcing me to go to church, but that quickly died out after awhile.

    I have always had differing ideas than the core beliefs of Christians, it just didn't ring true with me. But it was all I grew up with and all I knew. I began studying different religions in my late 20's and after a few years of searching I came across Wicca and this one felt right to me, or as many people say 'like coming home'.

    Because of media portrayal and ignorance of others, the practice of Wicca (or witchcraft) is associated with evil, Satan, etc. It's a hard idea to overcome, but this is the path I choose and it has fulfilled me in ways Christianity never did.

    Great thread btw.
«1