dry ends

taflogtaflog Posts: 130Registered Users
i need some help with my dry ends. i flat ironed my hair on yesterday to check the length and my ends looked horrible. i couldn't wear my hair straight because the ends were so frizzy and dry when i tried to comb my hair out. i bc'ed in july after transitioning since dec.06. my ends were the same way then that they are now, even though im completely natural. im wondering if any one else is having this problem and what are you doing about it?
when i first bc'ed i cowashed daily,used a leave in and experimented with different products. but now i cowash maybe every 2-3,use a leave in and apply soft-n-free curl activator lotion(i deep cond. everytime i cowash). the days i don't cowash i spritz my hair with water and apply either oil, activator or both, just depends. i clarify about once a week and detangle also. i didn't trim my hair yesterday because i like the length my hair is now and i don't know if it would help much at this point.

these are the products i currently use:
cowash- biolage cond.balm,tigi honey oatmeal,pm dt and oilmixed together also deep cond. with this
leave in- redken fresh curls
products- soft-n-free activator lotion,oil,

Comments

• missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    You may need to take special care of your ends when you wear your hair curly and apply a natural oil to your wet ends.

When I flat iron my hair, even if my ends are in good shape, my ends will be frizzy unless I roller set my hair before flat ironing it. What is your straightening routine? Twisting my hair first or blow drying it never works for me.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • taflogtaflog Posts: 130Registered Users
    i used a clarifying shampoo then deep cond. with biolage cond. balm. i used smooth down leave in by redken and blow dried my hair using a flat brush. i used a shine mist spray and my chi iron. this works well for the rest of my hair but not the ends. i do think that i need to focus more on my ends when i wear it curly which is 99.9% of the time.
    have you ever been able to get your ends straight with the flat iron? if so, what has changed in your routine? i would say try roller setting first instead of blow drying to see if that makes a difference. if you don't have the patience to sit under a hooded dryer, you can roll it and sleep on the rollers (although this isn't very comfortable!)

if this fails...maybe it's just time for a trim.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    i think that i am going to try the rollerset because i don't like to use a lot of heat but i was in a rush yesterday. i'll probally wait another couple of weeks before i trim because i did a mini chop a couple weeks after i bc'ed just for shaping. i have had good results with a flat iron before but that was before i was 100%natural. Do you have a deep cond. tx to share?
    you know....i was able to do the blow dry/flat iron routine too when i still had relaxed ends. but now it is impossible! i've tried it and i've always gotten frizzy dry brittle ends. not sure why that happens. but roller setting and then flat ironing works like a charm...it just takes more time.

I still haven't found my holy grail deep treatment. I've tried Curls Asian Tea deep treatment and Jane Carter [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/The-Jane-Carter-Solution-Nutrient-Replenishing-Conditioner-p-528.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=the-jane-carter-solution-nutrient-replenishing-conditioner]Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner[/buylink] mixed with some jojoba oil which makes my hair super soft.

comic-p.jpg
    i did do an overnite deep cond. and then cowashed this morning and my hair was super soft and the curls were more defined even after it dried :cheers: . i think the key for me is adding oil. i used african best ultimate herbal oil with a mixture of a couple of cond. i normally use. i put extra oil on the ends after i cowashed. im defintely going to take more time to treat my ends. i may even consider buying a maxiglide flat iron since ive heard some good things about it. but i think in the end the roller set is gonna be my best solution. besides i live in georgia and the humidity in the summer, will swell my flat ironed hair before i step outside. :laughing9:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file