Potty Training from Birth

inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I came across this article at MSN

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20464264/wid/11915773?GT1=10252

Kudos for those moms that try this. There is no way I could have done this while breastfeeding Chas every 2 hours...

Comments

• wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    and if you have to go back to work - no daycare I know would work with you on this....
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I tried this with Ben a bit around his first birthday and he had a nanny that was willing to work with us. He was peeing on cue for a while, then he lost interest and it was also too cold in the house for him to be naked or wet, so we dropped it. I do wonder if that early experience helped his potty learning later, because we did it at 2 1/2 and it was quick and painless.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I'm considering this with Boo #2 (not outside - just in the house, my child won't be pooping in the park!).

We started with Karan around a year and its worked well for us. Nothing more than encouraging him to use the potty every hour or so. He knows when he sits on the potty he should try to pee or poop and usually he pees atleast a little bit. Now he's pretty much dry through the day using this technique and usually poops in the potty.

I don't consider it Potty Training because he doesn't consistently tell us when he has to go. That's a development that will come when he's ready. But in the meantime it means less dirty diapers so its all good. I just really really hate everything about diapers - the smell, the chemicals, the environmental issues, the cost, the washing (we did both cloth and disposables - they both suck!).

I should add that the reason we were motivated to start with Karan is that he has a kidney reflux problem that makes him prone to UTIs/kidney infections. One aggravating factor especially in little boys is that they tend to hold their pee and build up bladder pressure (which increases the backflow of urine into the kidneys). So getting him to empty his bladder more frequently is important in reducing his risk of UTIs.

Anyways, sorry for the novel - just wanted to give the perspective of someone who is trying EC that isn't a loopy "my kid pees in a bowl" kind of mom!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I consider elimination communication to be absolutely disgusting. Call me crazy, but I don't want to be totally fixated on piss and crap for a year or two on end, and subject everyone in our life to constant naked bottoms and constant piss and crap. I'd much rather change diapers and potty-train over a weekend when they're 2 or 3 years old.
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    She brought him to a tree?!?
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    Isis Arnesen, 33, of Boston, has a 14-week-old daughter, Lucia, who is diaper-free. She said it can be awkward to explain the process to people, such as when she helped Lucia relieve herself in a sink at a public restroom.

WTF??
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I figure no matter what, you are dealing with piss and crap for a year or two, whether you are doing EC, or scraping crap off their tushies after they go in a diaper.

I think the article is a bit misleading and focused on some of the wackos. Most people practicing EC don't let their children run around naked outside or eliminate in public parks. Most use cloth or otherwise diapers part time.

If we ever have a #2 I doubt I will be a full on EC practitioner (not practical with going back to work) but i certainly think it can be done part time, and that educating a kid about how potties work and having an open-door policy when others go to the bathroom can only help the process.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file