earcmraearcmra Posts: 146Registered Users
Here's my current routine with Deva products:

NoPoo
OneC

ArcAngell

Then I diffuse some and let it dry

Scrunch out the crunch

apply Set it Free

I've had good success with everything except volume. I'm getting some JoiWhip from the swap board.

When would be best to apply this? Any other volume suggestions would be great!

Comments

• bostonwavesbostonwaves Posts: 727Registered Users
    I'd try it first by itself - skipping the ArcAngell and the SIF.
    Joiwhip has alot of hold and can be crunchy.

Then I'd try it on soaking wet hair before you put in the ArcAngell.

Good luck.

I do like foams/mousse and have just gone back to using Elucence Volume Designing Foam. I use this before Angel (I like Angel better than ArcAngel for my hair) and have really been liking the volume.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would substitute it for the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]Arc Angell[/buylink]. I find it actually easier to distrubute than gels, but you can apply it the same way as you do the AA. I find I have to do less raking with mousses than gels to get an even distribution. Be careful not to overdo it with joiwhip, or it will make your hair producty. One squirt (it really expands) should be enough for shoulder length hair.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    I haven't used mousse in years and years. On a whim I bought Joiwhip yesterday. I used it today, and am thrilled w/ the results. I just low-poo'd and then conditioned, leaving in a bit of conditioner. Joiwhip was the only product I used. Like the above poster said, just a small squirt will do, it really expands in your hand. My hair is so lightweight and bouncy today, love it.

I think I have been overdoing it w/ gels and cremes, my hair has just been heavy and droopy lately.
  • long_n_curlylong_n_curly Posts: 300Registered Users
    Ugh...I am trying to resist buying this...But bouncy hair would be
    so nice my hair has been droopy ALL summer! Does joiwhip work for winter hair as well?
    Lots of Fine easily weighed down 3A curls
    PJ currently loving Devacare one c, CEHT,& Durahold but still searching for HGs
    Finally grew out my bad layers!!!
  • Andrea1977Andrea1977 Posts: 8Registered Users
    I just bought this today. I have been a gel girl for years. Mousse always frizzed & dried me out. But, I wanted to try it after reading all the great reviews.

Do you put it on soaking wet hair like I do w/ gel?
    Any halo frizz? Air dry or diffuse?

Thanks!
    CG since 8/30/2007
    .png
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    so nice my hair has been droopy ALL summer! Does joiwhip work for winter hair as well?

I use it year round.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bailey422 wrote:

I use it year round.

Bailey - I see you are in Florida too. How does Joiwhip hold up to the humidity? Do you still get enough hold without it being producty looking? I'm tempted to buy this because Jessicurl has not been working for me as well lately. Don't know if that is because of the humidity or what.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I just bought Joico Joiwhip yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. I cowashed w/ Suave and conditioned w/ [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]DevaCurl One C[/buylink], left some One C in, scrunched, plopped and diffused. When I was done, I scrunched a little Curls Spiral Cream into the ends because they ends looked a little dry.

The results are really good! I'm impressed. But i wonder if cheaper mousses would work as well.

Is it just me or is it hard to spray the mousse out of this can. It kept coming out watery, and even that was a struggle. I hope i don't release all the air and get stuck w/ a can full of liquid I can't get out. :evil3:

• jr33176jr33176 Posts: 59Registered Users
    Rednaturalcurls, I hope Bailey422 answers your question because I would love to know the same! I have been wanting to try it but was curious about how it holds up.
    3a/3b hair
    current products: No HGs but liking One C & C.O. Bigelow Not Your Ordinary Condish; rotating among Sebastian Potion 9, Seb. Hi Contrast, Joiwhip

"...still curly after all these years..."
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The results are really good! I'm impressed. But i wonder if cheaper mousses would work as well.

Is it just me or is it hard to spray the mousse out of this can. It kept coming out watery, and even that was a struggle. I hope i don't release all the air and get stuck w/ a can full of liquid I can't get out. :evil3:

I just bought Joiwhip too and mine is coming out liquidy like that too, then it puffs up into a foam. I have to be careful dispensing it because I seem to be applying too much. As for cheaper mousses working as well....I've gotten good results with L'Oreal Upward Spiral (I think that's what it's called) and Dove Sculpting Foam (very perfumey!), but I have to use more product with those.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I get the best reqults when I use it over a little leave in and under just a smidge of gel.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
    jr33176 wrote:
    Rednaturalcurls, I hope Bailey422 answers your question because I would love to know the same! I have been wanting to try it but was curious about how it holds up.

I will send her a PM and ask. I'll let you know if I hear from her. Also I bought this today and will try it out tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I live in a super humid part of SC and find it holds up well. I just add the gel for a little more shine and because it keeps my hair from frizzing if I decide to blowdry (I get frizz if I diffuse without BRHG).
    I've used it alone at times though and it works well.

Also, Biosilk's mousse is really good in humidity.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
    Well today is the first day and so far so good. It was a little crunchy but that easily scrunched out and it is still holding the curl ok without looking too producty. When I use HE Set Me Up Mousse I get the same crunchy look initially but it does not scrunch out as nicely. I do think I used a tad too much. As others have said it came out kind of liquidy and by the time it expanded, it ended up being more than I thought. By overall not bad. And I used it alone. I poo with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream[/buylink], condition with Too Shea and rinse out. I don't use a leave in. Then while my hair is still damp, I add in the mousse and diffuse till almost dry.

Bailey said it does work for her in the humidity but not quite as well this summer. Of course we are having an extremely obnoxious summer in regards to humidity so I don't think anything is working well. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]Rockin' Ringlets[/buylink] usually works for me and did last summer, but this time around not as well. She puts a little CK under hers.

Sebastian Hi-Contrast gel is supposed to be very good. I haven't tried that.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I just bought Joico Joiwhip yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. I cowashed w/ Suave and conditioned w/ [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]DevaCurl One C[/buylink], left some One C in, scrunched, plopped and diffused. When I was done, I scrunched a little Curls Spiral Cream into the ends because they ends looked a little dry.

ehhh, i wasn't liking it as well by the end of the day. Maybe because it was so humid out. But my hair was a big, limp, frizzy mass. I'll revisit in a few days...

I am not totally pleased with it. It started off ok but by the end of the day I had some wierd shrinkage going on that I don't usually get. I tried it the second day and the same thing happened. Usually when I get hot the hair right around my face can get a little damp but normally it will dry just fine (sometimes gets a little frizzy) when I use RR or other stuff but with this stuff it caused wierd shrinkage like it got shorter and twisted up on itself. I couldn't get it to lay back down right. And it's not like I can avoid being hot in Florida :laughing9:

So today I went and bought Sebastian Hi Contrast Gel. We'll see what that does.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file