Curly AFro When Dry!!!! Please Help!!!!

curlywifecurlywife Posts: 198Registered Users
Hello Everyone,
I need help please. I use suave conditioner as a leave in and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]curls milkshake[/buylink] and IC Fantasia as stylers. This is not working for me.I am curious about the ladies with this hair type. Maybe I need to use a different gel. I like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]milkshake[/buylink] but the gel doesn't give me the shine I want. Maybe this is the best my hair will look. If so, that's okay. Just wanted to know my options.
Wat products do you all use? I am looking for products that will define, defrizz, moisturize, and shine (I would like a little bounce but I don't think that's possible with my hair type). I was thinking about trying the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Happy-Nappy-Styles-p-533.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-happy-nappy-styles]Happy Nappy Styles[/buylink] with Herbal Essence Gel or AOMM hair jelly. What do you all think. Thanks in advance and its great to chat with other women with these issues.
4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)

Comments

  • SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    You might want to check out this thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=104451. I had the same questions and people listed a number of products they use.

    As for me Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt works realy well but it does make my hair crunchy (I don't mind) and it has cones.

    AOMM and Aloe Vera Gel also work but leave some whitish film for me.
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    how long is your hair curlywife??

    i find that tigi bedhead control freak frizz and straightening serum works well to minimize frizz for me.

    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Happy-Nappy-Styles-p-533.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-happy-nappy-styles]happy nappy styles[/buylink] didnt work for me at all. if you use it, dont mix it with AOMM....it creates that cottage cheese look.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

    Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

    comic-p.jpg
  • curlywifecurlywife Posts: 198Registered Users
    My hair pressed out is slightly past my shoulders. Your hair is pretty. My hair is very similar to yours. What type of gel do you use Miss Monie?
    4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
    DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
    Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)
  • curlywifecurlywife Posts: 198Registered Users
    Thanks Kimshi42 for sending me that thread. That was very helpful. Just curious, why are ladies avoiding gel with protein (IC Fantasia)? I thought it was pretty healty for the hair.
    4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
    DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
    Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    Curlywife....I've been having good results with the Fantasia IC Gel and the Control Freak Serum. I've tried AOMM as well as the Aubrey Organics B5 Design Gel. Neither of them worked for me in terms of moisture, curl definition or frizz contrl. I'm interested in trying some other gels but I'm trying to curb my PJism. My hair responds better to gels than creme stylers.

    I don't know the full scoop on proteins...but I do know they are really helpful for repairing damaged hair. However, after a while the proteins can buildup on the hair and they styler can "stop working" I think that's happening to me with the Fantasia Gel so I try not to use it too often. Hopefully someone else can offer a more thorough answer on the protein issue though.
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

    Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

    comic-p.jpg
  • curlywifecurlywife Posts: 198Registered Users
    aaaaahhhhh... That make a lot of sense. I've heard that before. Now that I think about it, that's probably the problem with me. I know that when I use IC Fantasia everyday, my hair doesn't look right. Then after I clarify and deep treatment, my curls pop and are cute again (for the first few days). Maybe if I can find a great gel with no proteins or alchohol, that would solve my problem. Curly Nikki recommended Herbel Essence Set Me Up Gel with no proteins or alcohol. I may try that (of course after my IC Fantasia runs out). Thanks a lot Miss Monie. You have been a great help to me.
    4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
    DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
    Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)
  • SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Curlywife-

    What do you use to clarify and DT? I think it's time for me to clarify.

    I think MissMonie and I have very similar hair BTW...
  • MissCurlyMissCurly Posts: 133Registered Users
    I had the same problem or still due in a way. You just have to experiment and find what works for you because what works for some on this board doesn't work for all and vice versa.

    I've tried Paul Mitchells and Fantasia IC, they just leave my hair hard and crispy to the point where I have to shampoo to get all the gunch out of my hair which messes up my cg routine.

    Now I use the KBB Hair Milk and some AOMM jelly dilluted with water and it works the best for me. No white film and its not cripsy but still holds.
    3c/4a Relaxer free since 04!
  • curlywifecurlywife Posts: 198Registered Users
    kimshi42, I clarify with baking soda and water (found this recipe on the motowngirl.com website). One cup of water and 1 tablespoon of baking soda stirred together. Pour on my hair and massage and let it sit on the hair for 1 minute. Afterwards, I DT Curls Esctasy Asian Hair Tea Mask. This routine works great great for me.
    4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
    DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
    Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)
  • SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    curlywife wrote:
    kimshi42, I clarify with baking soda and water (found this recipe on the motowngirl.com website). One cup of water and 1 tablespoon of baking soda stirred together. Pour on my hair and massage and let it sit on the hair for 1 minute. Afterwards, I DT Curls Esctasy Asian Hair Tea Mask. This routine works great great for me.

    Thanks! Do you clarify after shampoo or condish wash or nothing at all?
  • curlywifecurlywife Posts: 198Registered Users
    Nothing at all. BTW, I'm on the no poo routine.
    4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
    DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
    Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)
  • LadyJAHLadyJAH Posts: 81Registered Users
    I use FOTE aloe vera gel for definition and shine. Spritz with Sta-Sof-Fro to get rid of the crunchiness. However, what works for my hair may not work for yours. Good luck on your quest.

    textureshotd-th.jpg
  • jada1111jada1111 Posts: 829Registered Users
    curlywife wrote:
    Hello Everyone,
    I need help please. I use suave conditioner as a leave in and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]curls milkshake[/buylink] and IC Fantasia as stylers. This is not working for me.I am curious about the ladies with this hair type. Maybe I need to use a different gel. I like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]milkshake[/buylink] but the gel doesn't give me the shine I want. Maybe this is the best my hair will look. If so, that's okay. Just wanted to know my options.
    Wat products do you all use? I am looking for products that will define, defrizz, moisturize, and shine (I would like a little bounce but I don't think that's possible with my hair type). I was thinking about trying the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Happy-Nappy-Styles-p-533.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-happy-nappy-styles]Happy Nappy Styles[/buylink] with Herbal Essence Gel or AOMM hair jelly. What do you all think. Thanks in advance and its great to chat with other women with these issues.

    Here's what I'm currently using and I'm 100% 4a (my hair grows OUT not down):

    Back to Basics Coconut Mango Rich Moisture Shampoo
    Back to Basics Coconut Mango Rich Moisture Conditioner
    Back to Basics Firm Hold Gel
    Elasta QP Feels Like Silk

    Suave conditioners are garbage to me. Takes forever to detangle.
    IC Gel is good only to smooth the down the edges when wearing a high or low puff. I found it awful as an all over gel.

    Happy Nappy does NOT control frizz. I honestly don't know what it's purpose is other than making hair smell nice and giving incredible shrinkage. Curls Spiral Cream is okay, but not as a frizz control product.

    Also, how do you apply products? I find the best way to apply them to control frizz is to COMB product through wet sectioned hair. I have instructions in my album.

    Lately, I've been raking in products with my fingers rather than combing, because I prefer the look I get with this technique better. Sometimes I soak it up with a towel upside down, then diffuse a bit the rest of the way. Other times, I'll diffuse until the drippies are gone, then let airdry the rest of the way.

    I prefer fullness, so I like to diffuse upside down and fluff "out" as the day goes on. Don't like the flathead look.
    Jada1111

    HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

    http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
  • jada1111jada1111 Posts: 829Registered Users
    Happy Nappy Update: Okay, after posting that Happy Nappy created frizz and shrinkage (which it can do) I decided to use it again this morning and try a different technique in applying.

    The previous times I used it, I ran a wide-tooth comb through it on wet sectioned hair. This time I followed the instructions on the jar. Instead of combing product through, I raked it in with my fingers. It worked! My hair has no frizz, not that much shrinkage and very defined coils.

    I diffused upside down concentrating on the crown for more fullness.

    I find that the same technique works for Spirals Curl Creme too.

    Just to add that I do NOT use a leave-in with these products. The ingredients in them are moisturizing enough IMO.
    Jada1111

    HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

    http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
  • jada1111jada1111 Posts: 829Registered Users
    missmonie wrote:
    I don't know the full scoop on proteins...but I do know they are really helpful for repairing damaged hair. However, after a while the proteins can buildup on the hair and they styler can "stop working" I think that's happening to me with the Fantasia Gel so I try not to use it too often. Hopefully someone else can offer a more thorough answer on the protein issue though.

    You're right Missmonie, protein conditioners are great at repairing the hair. I try to do a protein treatment once a month, but I'll admit I've been lazy. I think if it's color-treated it should be done more than that.

    Now as far as using rinse-out conditioners containing proteins my hair doesn't like them. I notice a dullness and crispy look to my hair. Gels just seem to make it worse, especially ones containing proteins or drying alcohols. I prefer moisture-based conditioners with no proteins and gels without drying alcohols or proteins in them.

    I used to love [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture Balance[/buylink] Conditioner, but not anymore. I only use it in extreme emergencies when I need something to detangle with. After use, I rinse out thoroughly, then apply a moisturizing leave-in.
    Jada1111

    HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

    http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
    PW: flower
  • curlywifecurlywife Posts: 198Registered Users
    Thanks for the tip Jada1111. I've been experimenting lately and I figured out that the problem came from the gel I've using (IC Fantasia). Although my hair is natural, it's not extremely thick and it's fine. I started using a lighter gel which does not contain many proteins or cones (Bioterra styling gel). My twist set came out great with this gel. I learned a great lesson. I have to constantly educate myself about my hair and its texture. Thanks again.
    4a-Cute, Coily, Curly Afro When Dry
    DT-Aubrey Organics White Camellia & Yes to Cucumbers
    Moisturizer-Oyin Shea butter & Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (my new love)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file