Glider, rocker for nursery?

PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
I'm so bummed - my husband and I put together our crib and did a bunch of work in the nursery this weekend. We had a recliner in our garage that had been my grandma's. We got it cleaned up and all the way up to the nursery, then put it together only to discover it doesn't rock. It's not TERRIBLE, but we're both thinking we should get a rocker or glider instead.

We have a plain rocking chair in our sunroom that we could probably use, it's wood with cushions on the seat and back. The cushions aren't great though so I'd probably try to replace them. My sister says I should get a glider/ottoman because they're the best for the nursery. She has a plain wooden rocker in hers and says she never uses it.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I do want something that will be comfortable and we'll actually use. Especially for nursing, but really for anytime we want to rock the baby to sleep. Any suggestions?
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I found a glider with footstool at a local consignment shop for $75. A brand new one would have been cushier/less creaky, but I am glad I got it! Maybe you could do that or try craigslist?
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I bought a glider. I liked it but then my husband's mom found us an amazing rocker at a resale shop. I liked it even more. Even though I liked both, I very rarely used either. I preferred the big chair and a half in the living room. My husband got a lot of use out of the rocker. He hated the glider. I rambled on and on to say that you will kind of have to test them out to see which you would prefer.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I sat in a glider in the Babies R Us nursing room, and it was the most comfortable thing to nurse in! The arm rests had padding, so I didn't need any awkward pillows, and the back was so comfortable for me to rest my head back.

I sit cross-legged (indian style) when I nurse, so I wouldn't need a footstool.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    babywavy wrote:
    I sat in a glider in the Babies R Us nursing room, and it was the most comfortable thing to nurse in! The arm rests had padding, so I didn't need any awkward pillows, and the back was so comfortable for me to rest my head back.

I saw one in Babies R Us when we went to register (but couldn't since the scanners were broken) - a gorgeous rocker - it was like a mini easy-chair so it could be put in the living room. I might have to sneak it on my registry!
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    gemini wrote:
    I found a glider with footstool at a local consignment shop for $75. A brand new one would have been cushier/less creaky, but I am glad I got it! Maybe you could do that or try craigslist?
    I second the consignment shop idea. We have two that we found at consignment shops. Grandma has the second. Both were in superb condition!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love my glider and footstool. I still use it to give Chas his nightly bottle and to read him stories in. It's was great for breastfeeding. I even slept in it prior to him being born because there was nights I felt like I couldn't breath so I had to sit up to sleep...the glider was great for that.
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    babywavy wrote:

I saw one in Babies R Us when we went to register (but couldn't since the scanners were broken) - a gorgeous rocker - it was like a mini easy-chair so it could be put in the living room. I might have to sneak it on my registry!

The ones at Baies R Us are overpriced IMO. We got a great glider at Furniture Fair for cheaper, and it was great quality.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    realistic wrote:
    babywavy wrote:

The ones at Baies R Us are overpriced IMO. We got a great glider at Furniture Fair for cheaper, and it was great quality.

It wasn't a glider though. It really looked like a mini easy chair that would look appropriate in a living room. We don't have Furniture Fairs here in NY. I plan on looking at other places, but I have to say, I really liked the one I saw at Babies R Us. I liked the quality and the fact that it didn't look like nursery furniture.
    3b (I think!)
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    CurlieGlamourGirlie, is the chair that you were looking at on the BRU website?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    PixieCurl wrote:
    CurlieGlamourGirlie, is the chair that you were looking at on the BRU website?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266607&cp=2255986.2256245.2256276&view=all&parentPage=family

Although, now I've read reviews and apparently it doesn't hold up so well. But this is the style I like. I'm not crazy about the ones that look like rocking chairs. I'm all for versatility - we won't have room to keep a glider/rocker in the baby's room - it'll have to be in the living room.
    3b (I think!)
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    my mother and i went out to thrift stores looking for a rocking chair for our son's nursery. i didn't know what i wanted, but i wanted it to be an attractive addition to the furniture in our house, comfortable, and cheap (i wasn't working, and we didn't have money to go all out for extraneous baby things.)

lo and behold, at good will, i saw a bentwood rocker that was in impeccable condition! not a scratch, no rips in the cushioning (the back and seat have a paisley printed material over plush cushions).

i pleaded with the cashier to come down on the price. they were asking $60. she talked to the manager and he sold it to us for $40. my mom gave me $25 toward it. i was elated, i was 5 months along dragging that chair through the store. the manager told me that he'd hold it at the register, but i didn't want anyone swiping it. my hormones made me a bit territorial! ha!

anyway, here's a similar picture to give you an idea of what it looks like:

1118-Thonet-Bentwood-Rocking-Chair-sm.jpg

our chair would be identical to this one if it had wicker backing. but like i mentioned, ours has a cushioned back and seat.

we got our monies worth on that chair. my husband and i have put in hundreds of hours of mid-night rocking in that chair. both our babies loved that deep rocking motion. i even rocked my infant grandnephew to sleep in it this past weekend.

it's the best chair. it's now in our livingroom, as it's a beautiful piece of furniture that totally adds to our decor.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I actually used the rocker my mom was given as a baby gift from her parents when i was born.

I LOVE IT. we still sit in it at night to read books before bed. I liked the gliders at BRU, but IMHO, nothing beats a good old fashion rocking chair
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    deezee02 wrote:
    I actually used the rocker my mom was given as a baby gift from her parents when i was born.

I LOVE IT. we still sit in it at night to read books before bed. I liked the gliders at BRU, but IMHO, nothing beats a good old fashion rocking chair
    ITA
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Pixie, Target has a nice selection of gliders. The Baby Bargains book rated the Dutailier ones they sell pretty highly and they aren't too expensive.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I was going to suggest Craigslist. I always see gliders for sale on there. But there's no listings for your area. Maybe you can find someone who is willing to ship from Westchester county?
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Pixie, Target has a nice selection of gliders. The Baby Bargains book rated the Dutailier ones they sell pretty highly and they aren't too expensive.

That's the brand I have. It's 8 years-old and still like new.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    medussa wrote:

That's the brand I have. It's 8 years-old and still like new.

The two we found at thrift stores/consignment stores are Dutailer. I was bound and determined to have one but DH wasn't paying full price. Well, I got my Dut-ail-ier (as my husband says in his best french accent) and we paid little or nothing for it.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a glider...hardly ever used it. I was much happier nursing in the big chair in the living room or lying in bed. The glider has been kicking around our house for years now, unloved, and without a permanent home. I hate to throw it out, because it was a really good one with a long glide (bought it at a furniture store rather than Babies R Us) and because I HAD to have it...waste of money.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I have an old-fashioned wooden rocking chair, and I love it.

For me, those gliders would be a waste of money. I actually do a lot of my nursing in bed or on the couch. The rocking chair maybe gets used once a day. But my situation is different from yours, as we don't have a nursery and baby sleeps with us.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    I have an old-fashioned wooden rocking chair, and I love it.

This is what my sister has, and she says she didn't love it for nursing. I think she uses it occasionally for bedtime stories though.

I do plan on doing most nighttime feedings in the nursery, so I would like to have something comfortable. I'm not looking to spend too much $$ though. I'm thinking of this one:

0006585713320_215X215.jpg

It's only $130 for the set, and got decent reviews. Plus, the wood is the same color as our crib.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Pixie, I think that's the one I have that my husband looks at with hatred in his eyes. He says it isn't big enough for him to sit in comfortably. It was fine for me.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    DarkAngel wrote:
    Pixie, I think that's the one I have that my husband looks at with hatred in his eyes. He says it isn't big enough for him to sit in comfortably. It was fine for me.

LOL that really made me laugh for some reason :lol:

I stopped by and picked it up today, but I made sure we'd be able to return it if we assemble it and don't like it.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • kimberly jkimberly j Posts: 153Registered Users
    My in-laws got us a glider-rocker w/ottoman when Jocelyn was 4 weeks old. We couldn't fit it in her room, so it is in our living room. It came in handy while she was a baby (she's 21 months now) - I rocked her to sleep in it every night. Now she wants nothing to do with it since she's older, so it has become my husband's video game chair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file