Flatironing, then going back to natural? Pros/Cons?

SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Curl NeophytePosts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have just seen a Fotki album that blew me away and makes me want to try a Maxiglide/straight look. The journaler has been natural for 8 years and wears straight, protective, shake and go wet to dry, you name it. And gets her hair colored. I am in frikkin' awe. PM me if you want the URL as I am hesitant to openly publish someone else's Fotki address.

For those of you who are committed to wearing your natural texture and keeping hair healthy, what is the real deal with the Maxiglide or other flatiron? How hot does it get? Will it change your texture? I'm clueless as I haven't had fully straight hair since like 1983-4, and I am committed to maintaining and growint my natural hair. Thanks in advance.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i color my hair on a regular basis and maybe once every 6 months or so i flat iron.

i have a CHI flat iron and it actually doesnt have a heat setting on it. which worried me at first, because i thought it wouldnt get hot enough, and to straighten my hair it has to be blowdriend straight and then flat ironed. so far, no damage and it hasnt changed my texture. i know coloring can sometimes loosen my texture up a bit, but nothing noticable by anyone but me.
  • soon2bsoon2b Posts: 220Registered Users
    I would be very interested to c the person's Fotki that you are referring to and understand that u do not want to post it. Could u please PM with the persons info please. I flat iron my hair occasionally with a solia and have not experienced damage. I roller set my hair first and spray it with a heat protectent and then flatiron on 350.
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
  • missmoniemissmonie Posts: 920Registered Users
    SBB....I used to flatiron my hair every week when I was relaxed and now that I'm natural, I do it once a month. I suffered from some heat damage when I let my stylist press my hair with the old fashioned hot comb a few times while I was transitioning. The hair was silky, smooth and bouncy....but parts of my hair will barely curl, so I'll never do the hot comb again.

As for flat ironing...I used to have the Chi iron which worked like magic until it broke, so I now have the Solia which is cheaper and still effective. It gets my hair silky smooth with one swipe. The trick for me is to rollerset my hair first to smooth it out (when I blow dry my hair it gets brittle and frizzy). I'm having good results with Jane Carter Wrap and Roll and Blended Beauty Straightening Glaze. It takes about 45 minutes for my hair to dry under the hooded dryer and then I flat iron in small sections on 300 degrees (this is the medium temp for the Solia) which takes about 30 minutes.

I actually flat ironed my hair this weekend. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Here are some pics from the last time I flat ironed though:

http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/different-hairstyles/flat-ironed-hair/
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Curl Neophyte Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MissMonie your hair looks great. I like the one swipe thing. I doubt I have the patience to do a roller set then flat iron. Has anyone braided their hair, air dried, then flat ironed? I'll remember the BB [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Straight-Pearl-p-564.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-straight-pearl]Straight Pearl[/buylink], heard good things about it. I think I saw a photo of EccentriKurlz, she flat-ironed with Curls Euphiria elixir. Do you think I need a heat protectant or has anyone used one? Sedu makes one that I didn't see any cones in. My hair is pretty fine -- I don't want to hurt or permanently alter it.
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • denisemouniedenisemounie Posts: 255Registered Users
    I'm going to try straightening with the Maxiglide. I just got the BB straighten glaze and I plan to shampoo, condish, detangle, moisturize, air dry and flat iron. I haven't worn my hair straight since 2002... so, do i need a curling iron to create waves? Forgive me, but I have 'straight hair illiterate'!!! :laughing9:

ETA: I agree with MissMonie, blow drying makes my hair very brittle and dry...
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/
    MissMonie your hair looks great. I like the one swipe thing. I doubt I have the patience to do a roller set then flat iron. Has anyone braided their hair, air dried, then flat ironed? I'll remember the BB [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Straight-Pearl-p-564.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-straight-pearl]Straight Pearl[/buylink], heard good things about it. I think I saw a photo of EccentriKurlz, she flat-ironed with Curls Euphiria elixir. Do you think I need a heat protectant or has anyone used one? Sedu makes one that I didn't see any cones in. My hair is pretty fine -- I don't want to hurt or permanently alter it.

yes you definetly need a heat protectant. i just use the same oil thats on my hair.
  • natashamcknatashamck Posts: 434Registered Users
    I'm going to try straightening with the Maxiglide. I just got the BB straighten glaze and I plan to shampoo, condish, detangle, moisturize, air dry and flat iron. I haven't worn my hair straight since 2002... so, do i need a curling iron to create waves? Forgive me, but I have 'straight hair illiterate'!!! :laughing9:

ETA: I agree with MissMonie, blow drying makes my hair very brittle and dry...

Please post pictures when you get a chance :)

SBB, I've let my hair air dry both braided and in a pony tail and then flat ironed...It comes out pretty good, but I sometimes have problems getting the ends totally straight.

That's why I was thinking about trying the maxiglide. In the infomercial it talks about how flat irons can sometimes just flatten the texture, and not totally straighten it - and that's what I experience on my ends if I don't roller set or blow dry before I flat iron...

denisemounie, in your experience with the maxiglide - have the detangling pins helped? I've also heard that the steam burst thingie breaks easily... Has anyone experienced that?
    mostly coarse texture, normal porosity... I think?
    HG: Generic Matrix Biolage, KCCC, KCKT, CBSS WSHP
  • kdkurlkdkurl Posts: 7Registered Users
    Ok I just wanted to weigh in on the maxiglide. this is my first pulbic post after months of lurking so bare with me.

I am transitioning and have used the maxiglide for a over year, both before the transition and during. I always use the steam button which is great for detangling and I use the plate with the teeth. The teeth can give some people problems. Your hair has to be pretty tangle free when you start. I have done it both after roller setting and after air drying. It work either way, but I find that after roller setting is just easier. Also I find that the teeth have less problem moving through my natural undamaged hair, than my texturized ends. I straighten rarely now, but it definitely does the job better than any flat iron I have ever used and steam really seems to help. Also since you can change the heat setting you can use a little more heat on some parts and less on others. Since I have no two hairs in my head that are the same texture that's important to me.

When I want to curl I use Caruso steam rollers. I have used them for years and they work great. Totally not damaging. The rollers are heated one at time with wet steam. By the time you do you whole head, the first ones have dried and set. I leave them in for maybe 10-15 minutes. Believe me they don't work anything like the hot rollers of the past. The set really lasts. HTH.
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    missmonie wrote:
    SBB....I used to flatiron my hair every week when I was relaxed and now that I'm natural, I do it once a month. I suffered from some heat damage when I let my stylist press my hair with the old fashioned hot comb a few times while I was transitioning. The hair was silky, smooth and bouncy....but parts of my hair will barely curl, so I'll never do the hot comb again.

As for flat ironing...I used to have the Chi iron which worked like magic until it broke, so I now have the Solia which is cheaper and still effective. It gets my hair silky smooth with one swipe. The trick for me is to rollerset my hair first to smooth it out (when I blow dry my hair it gets brittle and frizzy). I'm having good results with Jane Carter Wrap and Roll and Blended Beauty Straightening Glaze. It takes about 45 minutes for my hair to dry under the hooded dryer and then I flat iron in small sections on 300 degrees (this is the medium temp for the Solia) which takes about 30 minutes.

I actually flat ironed my hair this weekend. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Here are some pics from the last time I flat ironed though:

http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/different-hairstyles/flat-ironed-hair/

18 months ago the hairdressers blowdryed my hair and flatiron it on the same day my mom relaxed my hair.The blowdryer was so hot that I saw the heat and I was abit worried :laughing9: (I didn`t take care of my relaxed hair good like my natural hair now.I thought that relaxed/straight hair can go through anything.).My hair was so crazy after it was blowdryed too(I already blowdred my hair before I arrive there and she took about 5-10 min to blowdryed it),It look frizzy and brittle.When I got it flatironed after it didn`t felt as if the 2 hairdresser use a protectant.My hair was bone straight after that my sis friends asked if it was a weave.2 weeks later I cried because some of my hair fell from the roots.

That day I said that I`ll never go to a hairdresser to flat iron my hair and I was afraid to use any heat stuff.It also was the time when I started to transtion by accident .I did hairstyles to hide the difference between the 2 textures and I treated my hair nicely-I comb my wet hair with my old wide teeth comp that only had about 7 teeth :oops: and i only used my curl activator for moisture.It took forever to detangle with that comb so I got my mom to buy me a new one just 2 months ago lol.

During my ''transitioning by accident'' I was still thinking that straight hair only made me beautiful so I pick up my iron comb(non electric one its for the stove) that was made in cave men times and I press my hair with no protectant.After it was done I cried because my hair had burns on my hair strands that look like knots on my hair strands( This heat damage I had must of made my BC hair very very very frizzy and kept my thicker hair on my head from curling up-Now my curls show and my frizzing problem is small)and my hair didn`t look straight..I wanted ideas how to take care of my hair so I founded this site by accident.Looking through pics of Curlnikki's hair and hearing other people`s ideas help me decide to never relaxed my hair again.If I haven`t been to that hairdresser I wouldn`t have transtioned.

I think that good electric iron combs and flat irons would give the same result on natural hair but iron combs might require people to pass through the same section of hair many times which can be bad.Sorry post too long.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Curl Neophyte Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    thanks for this great info, folks. Holly8, sorry to hear about your ironing troubles :sad1:
    comic-p.jpg

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I just watched the Maxiglide infomercial. It gets to 420 degrees F. I've never used it but it does look tempting. I like to straighten every once in a while...but I'm afraid of damage, too. The few times I've straightened since going CG, I set my hair on big rollerrs and sat under the dryer. I'm too chicken to do otherwise.

thanks for this great info, folks. Holly8, sorry to hear about your ironing troubles :sad1:

Your welcome and thank you :).When I go to the hairdresser this week or next week I`m going to tell her how to handle my hair.I`m also going to put rollers in my hair while its wet the day before I go to the hair dresser.I don`t want her to use a blow dryer.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

holly8 wrote:

Your welcome and thank you :).When I go to the hairdresser this week or next week I`m going to tell her how to handle my hair.I`m also going to put rollers in my hair while its wet the day before I go to the hair dresser.I don`t want her to use a blow dryer.

Sounds like you are accommodating her, not the other way around. You are paying and should get the service you want. Any Dominican stylists around you? They do roller sets.
    comic-p.jpg

holly8 wrote:

Sounds like you are accommodating her, not the other way around. You are paying and should get the service you want. Any Dominican stylists around you? They do roller sets.

We don`t have salons like that.USA has better salons than us.That is what my mom tells me.I`ll be using my mom`s old big rollers on my wet hair and leave it to air dry.:)

Yah for the bolded part :laughing9: .With all this hair knowledge thanks to this site I can even open my own hair salon.I have other dreams to do first.Doing hair all the time can drive me nuts though :laughing9: because 3 months ago my younger sister ask me to do tiny singles with hair extensions for her job,2 weeks ago I weave her hair yesterday she took them out relaxed her hair,and today she wants me to weave it again after coming from the hair dresser(the hairdresser press her hair and braided the front in a nice style (I could of done that)my sister didn`t even want the front braided.The hairdresser said that she can`t let her leave like that because her hair is breaking.She told her that she needs to relaxed it ?? that doesn`t make sence i have to ask again).My sister wants me to weave the back of her head.She wanted to become natural but she can`t stop relaxing.She only transtion for 3 months until school summer vacation started.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I've done that. It takes alittle longer to straighten(depending on the iron, and whether you do plaits or two-strand twists), but you use less heat, and minimize damage. And yup....that was my pic you saw on Curls website. For that, I lightly blow-dried into a fluffy fro(think Diana Ross), let my hair kinda recoup, added some avocado oil on my hair, and the next day, I normally flat-iron and spot apply the elixir. Just depends on how lazy I am.

And you will need some type of protectant. The Euphoria elixir worked well on my hair, and another serum that that Mahisha was working on worked even better, but unfortunately it won't be released(at least, not anytime soon). Here is a pic from the tested serum/oil. This was on air-dried hair.

My hair straightened with ease when I used this. Another serum that makes the hair silky straight/smooth is African Wonder's Blow-dry oil. It may go by another name now, but when I was transitioning, this oil made even the tightest areas of my hair straighten with ease, and I haven't experienced any damage from straightening. No permanently straightened pieces or anything. You just have to know how much heat to apply, and what products to use. Also, less product is better. Using too many products, especially those with humectants (high in the ingredient listing), make it harder to straighten(since they draw in moisture, and if you're straightening, you don't necessarily want that), so an oil-based serum will work better(or one w/ peg-modified cones).
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    oh wow your hair looks really good!
    subbrock wrote:

It sure does, Eccentric_Kurlz. Can't wait to see your new photos. What flat iron do you use? Do you do the one swipe thing? Last night I put some Hairveda Cocasta oil in my hair and then twisted using Afro Detangler.

ETA - Today I combed it out, put in some Ojon and then brushed-new photo -Do you think this is straight enough to flatiron?

brushedhair-vi.jpg
    I just watched the Maxiglide infomercial. It gets to 420 degrees F.

That's almost as hot as a broiler! Doesn't sound so good.
    comic-p.jpg

I just got my hair straigten today but not exactly how I plan it out lol.I'll post pics later.I braided my hair in 4 big cornrows yesterday as my mom suggested.They comb my hair out with a wide teeth comb.I ask for meduim heat when they press my hair with the iron comb(I didn`t want this but they said its better for them to use it first then the flat iron and I said ok) and the flat iron.When I got the iron comb first, my hair resembly diana ross's hair lol and my sis said ''ahhhhh I want to be natural too''.My hair was even longer than her hair before her hair cut today but on the day I became natural her hair was way longer. They cut off about 1/2 inch of my hair.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    subbrock wrote:

It sure does, Eccentric_Kurlz. Can't wait to see your new photos. What flat iron do you use? Do you do the one swipe thing? Last night I put some Hairveda Cocasta oil in my hair and then twisted using Afro Detangler.

ETA - Today I combed it out, put in some Ojon and then brushed-new photo -Do you think this is straight enough to flatiron?

brushedhair-vi.jpg
    I just watched the Maxiglide infomercial. It gets to 420 degrees F.

That's almost as hot as a broiler! Doesn't sound so good.

Thanks Subbrock and SBB! :)

I think what you have pictured is straight enough. My hair is a bit longer, so it looks bigger. This is how straight I get my hair(this was after brushing out the twists I had in my hair). When I blow-dry, and set in a satin scarf, my hair tends to straighten more on it's on, so I don't really need to get it really straight when I use a blowdryer.

I use a ceramic iron called "Ceramic Tools by Jilbere". Purchased it from Sally's about 3 years ago, and it still works well. It has adjustable heat settings(i believe up to 25 and maybe up to 375 degrees?), but I normally straighten at maybe 12-13. Depends. It cost me about $45 bucks, but I'm interested in upgrading to a Sedu.

I do maybe 2 swipes. Near the nape of my neck, ears, and crown are the easiest to straighten. The middle-back area requires a bit more elbow-grease. LOL! For those sections, I may increase the heat a few settings, and lower it for the easier sections.

HTH

BTW....I will update my album and post it soon. I've been SO lazy lately. LOL!
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    holly8 wrote:
    I just got my hair straigten today but not exactly how I plan it out lol.I'll post pics later.I braided my hair in 4 big cornrows yesterday as my mom suggested.They comb my hair out with a wide teeth comb.I ask for meduim heat when they press my hair with the iron comb(I didn`t want this but they said its better for them to use it first then the flat iron and I said ok) and the flat iron.When I got the iron comb first, my hair resembly diana ross's hair lol and my sis said ''ahhhhh I want to be natural too''.My hair was even longer than her hair before her hair cut today but on the day I became natural her hair was way longer. They cut off about 1/2 inch of my hair.

Here are the pics.I`m showing my BC pic also.If these links don`t work you can go to the hair product album to see them.

http://public.fotki.com/holly9/hair-products/img47682.html

http://public.fotki.com/holly9/hair-products/img47792.html

http://public.fotki.com/holly9/hair-products/img47812.html

http://public.fotki.com/holly9/hair-products/img46812.html

http://public.fotki.com/holly9/hair-products/img46802.html

http://public.fotki.com/holly9/hair-products/img45362.html

http://public.fotki.com/holly9/hair-products/img12202.html
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Multi-racial hair

• HeatherNicoleHeatherNicole Posts: 1,316Registered Users
    I figure since I do this allllllllll the time I should chime in lol. About every week I wash, deep condish and flat iron my hair. I do this with an FHI 1" platform. I had to start wearing my hair straight for a while for a few reasons . 1. Not as high maintenance. 2. I got really stressed out and was actually ripping my hair to shreads from pulling out nots while it was natural. 3. Didn't feel attractive cause I wasn't wearing it nice just in a ponytail all the time.
    I've worn my hair straight for the last I don't know 6 months??? However, as you know, working out is not your friend when you press your hair so I'm gonna start wearing it natural again for the majority of the time. I use coconut oil, and a few products along with an actual spray with heat protectants in them. Which I advise everyone to do. This along with the deep conditioning really keeps damage to a minimum. I also only blow dry on med or low heat.
    Thick coarse 3c/4a prone to dryness.
    Staples
    Aphogee 2 Step treatment
    Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Tigi MM Conditioner
    Creme of Nature Shampoo for dry hair
    KCCC
    Denman D3
    Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    SheaMoisture Leave-in
    http://public.fotki.com/MsHeatherNicole/

"Make it work!"- Tim Gunn
    yeah, that working out/sweating stuff really puts a crimp in it :afro:
    comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file