Ab Challenge

CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
I'm offering an ab challenge here.

Inspired by this NC discussion I propose that we try these ab exercises linked by realistic for 6 weeks, and report back our results.
We would measure our waist, abs, and lower stomach (about 2" above pubic bone) weekly, and on Monday, Aug. 27th, start doing the exercises as often as you'd like.
You wouldn't put the starting measurements in your post, but you could post your progress.
Even if you don't want to do that, we can hopefully encourage each other to get through all 6 weeks.

Who's with me?
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.

Comments

• JaxieJaxie Registered Users Posts: 1,282
    I'll join you!
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Registered Users Posts: 3,077
    I'll join, too! I just started doing reverse curls and they're kicking my butt (errr abs), but I'll try adding in the ab pike if I can! This sounds fun. :)
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    I'll do it. :)

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • Charming NotionCharming Notion Registered Users Posts: 697
    i'm in!
    formerly;; girl anachronism

politics is like me and my buddy going hippo hunting. we shoot a hippo and it falls on us. now, instead of using our joint effort of pushing the hippo off of us, we arue for 5 1/2 years on who's idea it was in the first place to go hippo hunting.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I'm in!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    count me in!

my abdominal measurements are:

natural waist - 28 in
    navel - 31 in
    lower abs - 34 in

my goals are to get my natural waist 2.5 in smaller and my lower abs flatter...

i don't mind posting mine so that it will keep me honest!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    Yay! Looks like we have a good group.

8-27: Initial measurements done this a.m.
    one set of 15 Reverse Curls and a second set of 12 RC
    along with my usual workout
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    Forgot to pop in here, I'm in!

ETA: The size of my waist line is not something I want to make public, but I can post my inches lost :D
  • realisticrealistic Registered Users Posts: 2,222 Curl Novice
    Yay! :cheers:
    You guys are gonna do great!!
    That website is the exact one that I got my info from. I printed it out and kept it next to me as I was learning to do the curls.
    I'll pop in every once in awhile if you need help or encouragement.
    P.S.- If the ab pike is too much of a challenge for you don't worry about it. I never fully incorporated it into my routine. But if you're able to do it more power to you, b/c you'll surpass me. :mrgreen:
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • stefathenastefathena Registered Users Posts: 450
    i'm in. i love challenges!
    new york city

barack the vote!
  • ttripleblondettripleblonde Registered Users Posts: 300
    Oooh, I want to do it too! I'm a 24" but all I'm looking for is more definition. =) I looovee these kinds of things.
    3a/3b Mod CG
    CURRENTLY EXPERIMENTING!

excited2buy:Hello Hydration CO & LOOB

Owner Of CG Recipe Website: www.freewebs.com/triplecurl
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    I want to join!!! I have around 10-14 baby pounds to lose. DH and I just started our diet today. I've done this before not baby pounds but I know i can loose the weight. I would love to get my stomach back.

I'll measure and post again. It will keep me honest. :)
    A member posted this link in the Yoga teacher thread. It's an excellent Pilates ab clip. I did the one hundred this morning after meditation...actuall I did 80 :cheese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmek7iASeCI
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    good idea to do a little pilates every morning. i'm going to try to do cardio on an empty stomach in the mornings...
    I really don't have any specific inches off goals or starting measurements, should I? I figure I can do this by sight and how my tummy looks naked and in clothes.

Today
    morning - did the 100
    Evening - did the 100, 30 supermans, 20 bicycles, 30 bent leg crunches
    comic-p.jpg

I took pictures so that I can compare at 6 weeks. I am also tracking inches lost. I am doing the exercises from the link realistic provided. I am doing them every other day to allow my abs a day of rest in between.
  • stefathenastefathena Registered Users Posts: 450
    A member posted this link in the Yoga teacher thread. It's an excellent Pilates ab clip. I did the one hundred this morning after meditation...actuall I did 80 :cheese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmek7iASeCI

oh my god, that video is crazy. she's so graceful in her movements. i think i'm going to try doing the 100.
    new york city

barack the vote!
    I'm just going to edit to add each day I do this right here.

8-27: Initial measurements done this a.m.
    one set of 15 Reverse Curls and a second set of 12 RC
    along with my usual workout

8-29: 2x8 reps of RC done

8-31: 2x12 RC and 1x12 of pike

9-1: started RC, and realized my stomach is bunching out, so I lay on my stomach and did scissor movements, flipped over and did more scissors (2x12 reps each)

9-4: 2x12 rep modified pike

9-5: 2x12 rep modified pike

9-7: 2x12 modified pike

9-8: 2x12 modified pike

9-10: 2x12 modified pike

9-11: 2x12 modified pike

9-12: 2x12 modified pike

9-13: 2x12 modified pike

9-14: 1x12 modified pike [it was extremely difficult to do this set, so I figured my abs needed a day off]

9:19: 2x12 modified pike (I forgot to do them on M and T, but did do 30 min. ab workouts)
  • JaxieJaxie Registered Users Posts: 1,282
    I took my measurements and pictures (both I'm not comfortable sharing, but I'll post inches lost) on Monday. ANd everyday since Monday I've done 3 sets (10 reps each) of the reverse curl.
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
    8/27
    2x12 Reverse Crunches
    1x12 Ab Pikes

8/29
    2x12 Reverse Crunches
    1x12 Ab Pikes

8/31
    2x12 Reverse Crunches
    1x12 Ab Pikes

9/2
    2x12 Reverse Crunches
    1x12 Ab Pikes
    Jaxie wrote:
    I took my measurements and pictures (both I'm not comfortable sharing, but I'll post inches lost) on Monday.

I am not comfortable sharing either. I will share inches lost, but not actual measurements and no way am I sharing pictures :lol:
    8/30
    3 x 20 Rervers pikes
    100 100's

8/31
    The 100
    3 x 20 reverse pikes

9/1
    The 100
    3 x 20 reverse crunches

9/2
    The 100
    3 x 20 crunch pikes (hands toward toes)
    3 x 20 reverse crunches
    comic-p.jpg

I'm going to edit my previous post to keep record of the days I do these, but I wanted to ask:

Despite working on pulling in my stomach and breathing out while moving, I find my stomach is rounding out while doing these. Any tips on keeping it down, so I don't develop a rounded muscular ab?

I've been doing a Ttapp move called Organs In Place, and I do that with 8 or 20 tucks between each set of reverse curls/pike. It'll help keep the stomach tucked more during each exercise, but I'm really worried about developing bigger more pooched out stomach, not smaller.
    Incidentally, in that link there's also Half-Frogs, which I do before the curls. The second half of HF is similar to revere curls, and I find that interesting.
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Registered Users Posts: 3,077
    Despite eating more this week than usual and not exercising as much as I'd like, I've lost 1/2 inch off my waist and 1/2 inch off my low waist since last Monday. Yay! :)
    Despite working on pulling in my stomach and breathing out while moving, I find my stomach is rounding out while doing these. Any tips on keeping it down, so I don't develop a rounded muscular ab?

For me, it's lying flat on my back for awhile (2-5 minutes) and just relaxing my body (dead man's pose or shavasana). I breathe into it and allow my muscles to relax, just let them go. Soon my entire back is touching the floor. (If your lower back is arching off the floor, bend your knees or put a blanket roll beneath your knees.) Then I can roll up/crunch using my back -- without tensing or pooching my tummy and without my back arching off the floor. Best time to do my abs is right after meditation or before the treadmill (abs are a great core warmup).

Also I found the more frequently I do abs, the stronger my latisimus dorsi muscles in the back get (behind your upper arms, beneath your shoulder blades) and that really helps the abs. When you do crunches keeping your hands at your neck and your elbow spread helps engage them.

ETA: I tried the T-tapp thing this morning. Pretty cool.
    comic-p.jpg

week 1
    natural waist - 28 in
    navel - 31 in
    lower abs - 34 in

week 2
    natural waist - 27.5 in
    navel - 29 in
    lower abs - 32 in
    weight loss - 4.5 lbs

i think part of my reduction came because i had an upset tummy and i was in the bathroom a LOT the past two days and i didn't feel like eating quite as much. i have been doing more cardio (taught 2 cycle classes yesterday) and sticking with my pilates routine. next week my goal is to drink lots more water (again) and do morning cardio on an empty stomach.
    I'm going to edit my previous post to keep record of the days I do these, but I wanted to ask:

I've been doing a Ttapp move called url=http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/flatstomach/]Organs In Place,[/url] and I do that with 8 or 20 tucks between each set of reverse curls/pike. It'll help keep the stomach tucked more during each exercise, but I'm really worried about developing bigger more pooched out stomach, not smaller.
    Incidentally, in that link there's also Half-Frogs, which I do before the curls. The second half of HF is similar to revere curls, and I find that interesting.

I'm sure if you're engaging the muscle during the exercises you will be happy with the results. I wouldn't worry about the effect of how your muscle is shaped during the exercise- I doubt your abs will turn out rounded. The only undesirable result I got from doing the reverse curl was that I was beginning to develop a well defined Iliac Crest
    e.g.

Fergie.jpg

Which is kind of man-ish IMO, that's when I knew I was going overboard.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    -Henry David Thoreau
    How many reverse curls were you doing?
    Guana - yet another great avatar from InternetChick.
    comic-p.jpg

10 or 15- But I think it's the quality of the reps more than the quantity

And btw it never got as defined as Fergie's but I was beginning to get those lines on my lower abdomen. I can still see them somewhat.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file